Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
[D&D 4E] Tomb of Horrors- Game link in 1st post Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Virulent Lover

Dangerous Lover

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:10 pm
Arcanist Angus
I give you Adran Song, the Valorous Bard/Rogue of Legend! I'll post his backstory here in a few. Please check that I did everything correctly ><

You know that Magic Missile has been errata'd to... the point of being less appealing. Here's the new MM:

Magic Missile Wizard Attack 1
You launch a silvery bolt of force at an enemy.
At-Will - Arcane, Force, Implement
Standard Action Ranged 20
Target: One creature
Effect: 2 + Intelligence modifier force damage.
Level 11: 3 + Intelligence modifier force damage.
Level 21: 5 + Intelligence modifier force damage.
Special: If the implement used with this power has an
enhancement bonus, add that bonus to the damage. In
addition, you can use this power as a ranged basic attack.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:24 pm
Virulent Lover
Arc Vembris
This happened quick, there's clearly some pent up 4e jones going on in this guild. Restricting to PHB1&2 cans my shardmind paladin anyhow. Oh well.

It limits a lot.

Hmm, just about everyone is ranged, eh?
Might roll up a Warlord instead then.
Eh, I don't know...

The bard appears to be about 2/3 melee, 1/3 ranged. A good number of my spells are Close Blasts. Then there's the Paladin, which I think was almost entirely melee.

I think a mostly melee cleric would be better suited than a warlord; I think Warlords are better choices when there's an abundance of melee characters in the party.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:28 pm
Alternatively, there will be so few combats where it might not even matter?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:29 pm
Rain Yupa

The bard appears to be about 2/3 melee, 1/3 ranged. A good number of my spells are Close Blasts. Then there's the Paladin, which I think was almost entirely melee.

I think a mostly melee cleric would be better suited than a warlord; I think Warlords are better choices when there's an abundance of melee characters in the party.

Neither is really a good fit for this party as they both aim to boost melee party members.  

Virulent Lover

Dangerous Lover

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:38 pm
Virulent Lover
Rain Yupa

Neither is really a good fit for this party as they both aim to boost melee party members.

I disagree. The Cleric has the potential to go that route, but a lot of their powers can be solo-purpose, and/or selfish. Let's examine the heroic encounter and at-will Weapon powers:
Priest's Shield - You and one adjacent ally gain AC boost.
Righteous Brand - Ally within 5 squares gain bonus to melee rolls vs target.
Healing Strike - Can heal you or one ally within 5.
Wrathful Thunder - Target dazed, everyone wins.
Blazing Beacon - Help ranged attackers.
Split the Sky - Push + knock prone enemy, not bad for anyone.
Awe Strike - Target immobilized, useful in many situations.
Strengthen the Faithful - You and each ally adjacent to target spend surges.

Righteous Brand and Strengthen the Faithful are the only ones that seem to be purely beneficial to melee party members. I can see Strengthen the Faithful as good for bailing out ranged party members out of a hot spot.

But yeah, melee clerics have a lot of powers that benefit the entire group, and/or control the flow of battle. I wouldn't write them off smile

There's also multiclassing to compliment it.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:40 pm
Alternatively, I can put Jomjom aside and play something else. I could still do my Fancy Barbarian.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Virulent Lover

Dangerous Lover

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:42 pm
I was looking strictly at at-wills, of which both are limited to adj. ally + yourself for a minor AC boost and and a boost to a melee roll.

As far as encounter powers, the cleric pulls ahead a bit, I agree but in combat neither will really make a large difference, sadly at least not as far as boosting allies.

To be honest, you should simply do as you like, Rain. No reason to play something less wanted.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:33 pm
Rain Yupa
Arcanist Angus
I give you Adran Song, the Valorous Bard/Rogue of Legend! I'll post his backstory here in a few. Please check that I did everything correctly ><

Your ability scores are a tad too high.

10 STR, +1 (Lvl 11 ) = 11
10 WIS, +1 (Lvl 11 ) = 11
11 DEX, +1 (Lvl 11 ) = 12
14 INT, +1 (Lvl 4 ), +1 (Lvl 8 ), +1 (Lvl 11 ) = 17
14 CON +2 Half Elf, +1 (Lvl 11 ) = 17
16 CHA + 2 Half Elf, +1 (Lvl 4 ), +1 (Lvl 8 ), +1 (Lvl 11 ) = 21

You have Int and Con at 18 each, which is a tad too high. Finagle the numbers all you want, you have 2 too many.

Tutu many?

You're short a feat as well. Ritual Caster doesn't count as one of your optional feats (1, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11)

You have no magic Armor or Neck Equipment? You have 5000 gp, invest in them. Helm of Heroes I think would be of more use to a Warlord than a Bard? Its a nice helm, but unless Fear comes up a lot, I don't think the daily power will be worth not actually having enchanted armor or neck gear to keep you, a healer and useful skill person, alive. Food for thought.

Fix't  

Cunning Witch Angus

Virulent Lover

Dangerous Lover

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:03 pm
Debated going balanced, but a lack of Versatile expertise quickly made me change my mind. >_> Don't really wanna pick up two expertise feats.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:45 pm
Arc Vembris
This happened quick, there's clearly some pent up 4e jones going on in this guild. Restricting to PHB1&2 cans my shardmind paladin anyhow. Oh well.

If you're interested, I'll step aside and give you my spot. I'm struggling to come up with something I'd enjoy playing, oddly enough.  

Virulent Lover

Dangerous Lover

Lord of the Vine

Dapper Codger

7,825 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:51 am
Virulent Lover
Arc Vembris

If you're interested, I'll step aside and give you my spot. I'm struggling to come up with something I'd enjoy playing, oddly enough.

I had some difficulties with picking out Wizard powers and feats, mostly because prior to Arcane Power, Wizards were hit hard with the nerf bat, making it difficult to come up with a decent array of powers that could be chained together.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:03 am
Warlords pick up a lot of ranged support in MP2. Direct Attack is a great at-will that can make use of those ranged basic powers arcane classes keep hearing about.

I'm not sure what I would play either, since my guy just got canned. I'll have to think about it.

If only Spirit companions could trigger traps.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Agent Sinistra

Dangerous Genius

7,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:30 am
UPDATE

Doing a quick announcement, in case the update in the first post ended up going unnoticed.

Announcement
If you've already posted your interest in this thread, but weren't able to grab a slot... If you can give me a finished character sheet by/on Saturday (4/30/2011), you can be in. If you turn it in later than that, you'll either have to see if someone in one of the slots drops out or gives up their place for you.

If you've posted before this post? The announcement applies to you. Otherwise, you're out of luck (for now, anyway).

Also, I think I've got everything posted correctly as far as the sheets received goes. I probably won't get around to really looking at them until after I've actually gotten some sleep today. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:37 am
I go out two nights in a row, and the next day BOTH days I've missed out on a 4E game. Clearly not my week for online DnD! =P This sounded like a lot of fun too. Gosh darn! xd  

joe-dude667

Virulent Lover

Dangerous Lover

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:23 am
Arc Vembris
Warlords pick up a lot of ranged support in MP2. Direct Attack is a great at-will that can make use of those ranged basic powers arcane classes keep hearing about.

I'm not sure what I would play either, since my guy just got canned. I'll have to think about it.

If only Spirit companions could trigger traps.

No, but Shamans have direct access to Perception and are wis primary, so you can spot them rather easily  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff