Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
TD'S Journey Through The Bible Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you a sinner?
  Why yes.
  Duh.
View Results

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:45 am
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine
VK Fox
Quote:
#8. So... They were talking about working on the Sabbath... Is it a sin to do stuff on Sunday?

The Sabbath was on Saturday, and Christians are not under obligation to keep the Sabbath. Scriptures tell us that the Sabbath was made for man.

So Christians are no longer men? And we still have to keep the Sabbath day, we just don't keep on Saturdays. It was moved to Sunday because of Christ's resurrection being on the first day of the week, so that is why we have the Sabbath on the first day of the week now. Christ said the sabbath was made for man and that He was Lord of the Sabbath. That means, I created the Sabbath for you, so you keep it!

I agree with VK Fox. If you're going to say that the Sabbath mus be kept, explain why Jesus healed those in need on the sabbath. People weren't supposed to do any work on the sabbath yet Jesus went around healing people. I think the Sabbath is included in the list of things that don't apply to us anymore, like requirement for circumcision or stoning someone when someone commit adultery.

Healing people on the Sabbath day and doing the things that the Lord has requested are different than going out and going shopping, making other people work, going into the office to get ahead, etc. Doing the things that the Lord has commanded aren't forbidden on the Sabbath.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:49 am
Shadows-shine
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine
VK Fox
Quote:
#8. So... They were talking about working on the Sabbath... Is it a sin to do stuff on Sunday?

The Sabbath was on Saturday, and Christians are not under obligation to keep the Sabbath. Scriptures tell us that the Sabbath was made for man.

So Christians are no longer men? And we still have to keep the Sabbath day, we just don't keep on Saturdays. It was moved to Sunday because of Christ's resurrection being on the first day of the week, so that is why we have the Sabbath on the first day of the week now. Christ said the sabbath was made for man and that He was Lord of the Sabbath. That means, I created the Sabbath for you, so you keep it!

I agree with VK Fox. If you're going to say that the Sabbath mus be kept, explain why Jesus healed those in need on the sabbath. People weren't supposed to do any work on the sabbath yet Jesus went around healing people. I think the Sabbath is included in the list of things that don't apply to us anymore, like requirement for circumcision or stoning someone when someone commit adultery.

Healing people on the Sabbath day and doing the things that the Lord has requested are different than going out and going shopping, making other people work, going into the office to get ahead, etc. Doing the things that the Lord has commanded aren't forbidden on the Sabbath.

Yeah. But that still brings me back to the list of things that don't apply to us anymore thing. I don't we really need to rest on the Sabbath nowadays.  

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

rosadria

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:50 am
Quote:
And he said to them, “Which of you, having a son or an ox that has fallen into a well on a Sabbath day, will not immediately pull him out?” 6 And they could not reply to these things.
Luke 14:5-6 (ESV)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:52 am
Why didn't I think of that?  

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:23 pm
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine
VK Fox
Quote:

Yeah. But that still brings me back to the list of things that don't apply to us anymore thing. I don't we really need to rest on the Sabbath nowadays.

And if the Sabbath doesn't apply to us any more then why did Christ repeat that men should keep the Sabbath day holy when He talked about the ten commandments. We still are bound by those rules, and the Sabbath is part of those commandments, are we not? And if not what else do we not have to follow from the ten commandments.

@TD- Sorry about starting a debate in your thread. I was simply trying to understand the concept of the Sabbath better myself.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:41 pm
Shadows-shine
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine

And if the Sabbath doesn't apply to us any more then why did Christ repeat that men should keep the Sabbath day holy when He talked about the ten commandments. We still are bound by those rules, and the Sabbath is part of those commandments, are we not? And if not what else do we not have to follow from the ten commandments.

@TD- Sorry about starting a debate in your thread. I was simply trying to understand the concept of the Sabbath better myself.

Didn't you see VK's verse?  

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:53 pm
User Image

I don't mind debates.
It's perfectly fine, just don't let it go into a yelling, angry, cussing match. XD

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:16 pm
Testicular Diabetes
User Image

I don't mind debates.
It's perfectly fine, just don't let it go into a yelling, angry, cussing match. XD

LOL! of course. This is a Christian guild.  

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:20 pm
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine

Yes, but I don't consider helping some one out of a well or whatever work. I consider going into the office and trying to finish that report or whatever, school work, farm work, house work, etc. work that would break the Sabbath Day...Doing good deeds and the things that Christ has requested isn't breaking the Sabbath Day. We're not supposed to just sit idle. Christ doesn't approve of that either.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:21 pm
Testicular Diabetes
User Image

I don't mind debates.

User Image

No, I wouldn't do that.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:47 pm
Shadows-shine
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine

Yes, but I don't consider helping some one out of a well or whatever work. I consider going into the office and trying to finish that report or whatever, school work, farm work, house work, etc. work that would break the Sabbath Day...Doing good deeds and the things that Christ has requested isn't breaking the Sabbath Day. We're not supposed to just sit idle. Christ doesn't approve of that either.

Well things that considered effort back then were obviously considered work. Healing, helping people out of the well, and some other thing I think..... And people work for living. Saying don't do work is like saying don't breathe. Also, if someone forgets to do their hw or had to go to a worship service on Saturday AND Friday, devoting all there time to God? What then? Say you were keeping the Sabbath? How can you fail hw or go bankrupt to the glory of God (I Cor. 10:31). I think you may be misinterpreting when Jesus said keep the Sabbath holy.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:58 pm
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine

Well things that considered effort back then were obviously considered work. Healing, helping people out of the well, and some other thing I think..... And people work for living. Saying don't do work is like saying don't breathe. Also, if someone forgets to do their hw or had to go to a worship service on Saturday AND Friday, devoting all there time to God? What then? Say you were keeping the Sabbath? How can you fail hw or go bankrupt to the glory of God (I Cor. 10:31). I think you may be misinterpreting when Jesus said keep the Sabbath holy.

Well keeping the Sabbath day holy is a lot more than just sitting in church for an hour on Sundays. I am not misinterpreting it. Christ said to keep it holy and He means keep it holy. I am also going off what I was taught. This is what keeping the Sabbath day is about.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:02 pm
Shadows-shine
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine

Well keeping the Sabbath day holy is a lot more than just sitting in church for an hour on Sundays. I am not misinterpreting it. Christ said to keep it holy and He means keep it holy. I am also going off what I was taught. This is what keeping the Sabbath day is about.

I don't think "breaking bread" is exactly refferring to the Sabbath...it could be referring to communion.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:56 pm
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine

I don't think "breaking bread" is exactly refferring to the Sabbath...it could be referring to communion.

And when do you partake of the sacrament? On the Sabbath. But I don't see what your response has to do with the link I posted?  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

On_Fire_4_CHRIST

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:06 pm
Shadows-shine
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine
On_Fire_4_CHRIST
Shadows-shine

And when do you partake of the sacrament? On the Sabbath. But I don't see what your response has to do with the link I posted?

The thing said something about breaking of bread....well the verse it had included that part at least. And sometimes I take communion on Saturdays. I don't think the particular day matters, honestly. As long as it's done then I think it's ok.  
Bible and other christian discussions

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff