Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Tell us What You'd Like to See in the Guild Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What would you like to see?
  Writing contests
  Art contests
  Guild involvement in Gaia events (halloween, easter, chirstmas, ect.)
  Other (tell us in the thread)
  A truck picks up three pounds of timber and drops off three kilos of wire mesh. If the truck was built before 1996, what color are my pants?
View Results

Mrs. Pink Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:14 pm
Keevan Draco

Patience, grasshoppaz....

since the glory days of the 80's has come and gone, the musical genre that has spawned us has changed greatly since the early days. Absolute worship of a singular musical style is no longer the concrete requirement of being goth. And compared to other goth social sites out there, the guild here is an excellent starting point for new converts to learn about our beloved subculture. all it takes is patience, and a willingness to share new information to those who may not know to the full extent the richness of music that exists in the gothy realms.

I, for one, do not just exclusively listen to just goth music. i've dabbled in classical, new age, bluegrass, celtic, folk, techno, and various other musical styles as each one adds a little something extra to fit my moods and mindsets at any given time. I'm still goth....yet just a little more enriched by the choices I make in my listening endeavors.

Well obviously goths like other music. I listen to punk, noise, experimental, and industrial as well. Listening to goth music (which is huge, and it's sad how many people can't name ten goth bands of the top of their heads here) is a big part of the subculture. You got the old school goths, the deathrockers, and the cyber kids. The music defines the culture a shitload.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:00 pm
I don't think there's exactly to much that can be done about it. Can't paticularly force people to listen to or learn about something if they don't want to.. And even if you could then wouldn't a lot people just be doing it only for the sake of fitting in despite whether they like it or not? So that probably wouldn't change too much. surprised

And if you were to put requirements for joining here, then the guild would be even slower. eek  

Awesome Akwardness

Awesome Akwardness

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:13 pm
XWraith_LordX
Keevan Draco
XWraith_LordX
You guys are aware that there are a few contests going on right now....

Do none of them grab you? sad

well...i've done the caption contest (wanted to let someone else win besides me), the story contest theme is awesome, just got to let the mental juices simmer a bit longer before I enter (plus wanted to see where the story might turn), and I really really suck at art so i'm leaving that one alone.....

great ideas all, i just wish there were more participants in it, than me an broken joker...
Oh okay. smile

I was worried that the ideas were all horribly boring or something.... sweatdrop

Maybe it's just a bad time for contests....I have finals coming up soon and probably a bunch of other people do too... stressed
I don't suppose it would do me any good to apologize for being busy, since I usually just lurk even when I'm not busy. >_<  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:08 pm
Blackrose Kaire
XWraith_LordX
Keevan Draco
XWraith_LordX

well...i've done the caption contest (wanted to let someone else win besides me), the story contest theme is awesome, just got to let the mental juices simmer a bit longer before I enter (plus wanted to see where the story might turn), and I really really suck at art so i'm leaving that one alone.....

great ideas all, i just wish there were more participants in it, than me an broken joker...
Oh okay. smile

I was worried that the ideas were all horribly boring or something.... sweatdrop

Maybe it's just a bad time for contests....I have finals coming up soon and probably a bunch of other people do too... stressed
I don't suppose it would do me any good to apologize for being busy, since I usually just lurk even when I'm not busy. >_<
razz

Welcome back from your lurking.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Awesome Akwardness

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:16 pm
XWraith_LordX
Blackrose Kaire
XWraith_LordX
Keevan Draco
XWraith_LordX

Oh okay. smile

razz

ninja

*Throws a smoke bomb and disappears back into the shadows of the guild*  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:29 pm
Blackrose Kaire
XWraith_LordX
Blackrose Kaire
XWraith_LordX
Keevan Draco
XWraith_LordX

Oh okay. smile

razz

ninja

*pulls out thermo scanning goggles and begins to search for you* burning_eyes  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Awesome Akwardness

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:12 pm
XWraith_LordX
Blackrose Kaire
XWraith_LordX
Blackrose Kaire
XWraith_LordX
Oh okay. smile

razz

ninja

*Was hiding behind the couch the whole time*  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:32 pm
Blackrose Kaire
XWraith_LordX
Blackrose Kaire
XWraith_LordX
Blackrose Kaire
XWraith_LordX
Oh okay. smile

razz

ninja

*Was hiding behind the couch the whole time*
Damn.

Fooled by simplicity again. stressed  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:55 am
What I'd like to see in the guild is more activity from the members, over all this guild is pretty dead except for the few times when theres a lot of activity. I don't have any ideas on how to change that though. emo  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:47 pm
Digital Malevolence
What I'd like to see in the guild is more activity from the members, over all this guild is pretty dead except for the few times when theres a lot of activity. I don't have any ideas on how to change that though. emo
I have a feeling there a lot of lurkers here.....

ninja

Maybe we can give them some sort of incentive for participating....  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:31 pm
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence

ninja

Maybe. and I sure hope theres a lot of lurkers, theres so many people "in" the guild as members you would think there would be more people posting. I'm in a guild with a forth of the amount of members but way more people post....well not so much anymore but it went strong for two years.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:13 am
Digital Malevolence
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence

ninja

Maybe. and I sure hope theres a lot of lurkers, theres so many people "in" the guild as members you would think there would be more people posting. I'm in a guild with a forth of the amount of members but way more people post....well not so much anymore but it went strong for two years.
I've kind of noticed that a lot of the time when there were new members posting alot of us get kind of 'tight knit' and completely ignore them, so that could have been part of the reason.  

Awesome Akwardness

Awesome Akwardness

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:14 am
XWraith_LordX
Digital Malevolence

ninja

Their better at it than me then, I mess up and post every now and then. xd  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:46 am
Kaire, it's ok....I only lurk when there is nothing that needs to be said, or i'm feeling unsociable.

notes from what I have observed in the guild as a whole:

1. The GGG is probably the oldest goth guild in the lineup since Gaia launched back in antiquity.

2. Many members belong to one or more different guilds than just this one.

3. Many Gaians use this guild as a reference for their gothy inquiries and informational needs, and feel no need to post. The active ones basically answer all questions that pop up. (i'm in the gothLoli guild as well, I mainly use their guild as a reference when I need information on the clothes)

4. At 5000K+ members, it's safe to assume that many members have formed their own guilds and are active on their own sites. That, or, many former members have abandoned gaia and moved on to other MMO's, only their ghosts remain.

5. At it's most basic, we're another notch on the belt of many Gaians quests to belong to as many guilds as possible.

6. There are a lot of lurkers who are either too shy to post, or think that their voice doesn't matter much....par for the course in a goth guild, but every voice is valuable, no matter how experienced they are in goth culture. share, and grow from the sharing....

7. Or, as Digital Malevolence pointed out so succintly....the "inner circle" mentality has reduced the population till only a few remain, sad but true within many social sites (vampire freaks anyone? prime example. once, they were very accepting of new members, but that was years ago)

there are probably other reasons than those above that I am unable to spot at this time, maybe someone else will have better luck.

-----------------------------
for some strange reason, gaia doesn't seem to like my posts as of late. this seems to be the 12th that has got lost in the shuffle and doesn't show up here. either that, or the universe at large doesn't like me at all....sad.  

Keevan Draco

Henneth Annun
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:06 pm
Keevan Draco

7. Or, as Digital Malevolence pointed out so succintly....the "inner circle" mentality has reduced the population till only a few remain, sad but true within many social sites (vampire freaks anyone? prime example. once, they were very accepting of new members, but that was years ago)

-----------------------------
for some strange reason, gaia doesn't seem to like my posts as of late. this seems to be the 12th that has got lost in the shuffle and doesn't show up here. either that, or the universe at large doesn't like me at all....sad.

I was actually thinking about that today...the "inner circle". We need to make an effort to be more inclusive then, if that is the case, which it does seem...to be....part of....great.....I screwed up my word order again...

Your posts get lost? Hm? What do you mean? neutral  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces