Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Any Topic Guild

Back to Guilds

I will find you... on Gaia! :D 

Tags: friendship, events, hangout, literate, chatting 

Reply Community Lounge
Should children be allowed to believe in Santa Claus? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should children be allowed to believe in Santa Claus?
  Totally, let them keep their innocence
  No way, I don't like lying to innocent children
  Who cares?
View Results

TurtIe Tracks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:57 pm
Kalstolyn
pickle relish
TurtIe Tracks
The sad thing with Santa is that I think parents get under-appreciated. If my sister gets a great present, it's from Santa. She doesn't show any appreciation to my parents because she doesn't think it's from them. By the time she learns "the truth," she'll already have forgotten about those presents... it makes me sad when my mom spends a lot of time getting the perfect gift without so much as a thank you. I know they can see her all " biggrin " about the present, but it's not really like the AGGT. It's like if someone takes the credit for your present. If it's from an unknown person, you can feel all happy, but instead an imaginary figure is taking all the credit. Or maybe I'm just weird. sweatdrop

I understand what you mean, about parents putting all that work into getting a present, and then someone else gets the credit for it. But, on the other side of the issue, I have to say, isn't that part of the spirit of Christmas? You don't give gifts to people because you want them to appreciate that time and effort you put into it. That's kind of a selfish motivation, although I have to admit that is part of the reasoning behind it.
The real point in giving the gifts is the joy of giving something to someone else. They don't have to know it was from you; you just want to give them something, something to make them happy. Its kind of like the Secret Santa thing for poor families. You donate, but they don't know who the items come from. People that you have never met, and will probably never meet, get something wonderful, and you get the jollies from it. That's all. Sure, they appreciate what you've done, but they don't know who you are. You don't get the recognition.
At least, that's my interpretation of it.

Pickles has hit on some of what I wanted to say about this. If you're giving your kids presents so they love you more or something, you've got issues and you probably have no business having children. On the other hand, I like how my family handled Santa: he gave us small presents in our stockings. The really awesome presents were wrapped up under the tree and signed from our parents or each other, not Santa. Either way, we always shouted "thank you,, Santa!" into the fireplace after we had opened our stockings. xd That way the message would go up the chimney and Santa would get it.
That's true, and I know my parents are still happy seeing her enjoy the presents, but I still think it's kind of sad. While they aren't doing it for the love, it'd be nice if they got it anyway. My little sister doesn't think our parents do a lot for her, she's pretty under-appreciative. I don't know if she still believes in Santa, but she did last Christmas. (You could tell if you were there... she asked my mom how Santa knew she loved ____ and such, very sincerely)

Little sister is really really whiney and spends more time on the computer than I do. Plus, while I spend my time on the computer drawing, reading, or learning, she just watches anime. I don't know how to break to her Santa isn't real (it's about time... she's going into 6th grade) but I think she should be a lot more grateful to the work my parents do. Presents may be a little... materialistic, but my mom puts a lot of time finding >>the<< perfect present. She doesn't go to the kiddie store and buy some game, she really puts a lot of care into it.

I never knew I could care so much about Santa -__-; This reminds me of the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:22 pm
I keep seeing the whole "kids are mad when they learn the truth" way of thinking. Usually when they finally know Santa isn't real they're old enough to handle it properly. When I stopped believing I was happy that my parents went through so much to try and make the christmas holidays so special for me.

And Kal is right, if the parents are getting gifts JUST to win something from the kids, pooy on them! As a parent though I have to say I love seeing the look of amazment and excitement on a kids face when they open the right present. Parents live to make their kids happy when they can and all we want to see is the wonder, and excitement, and even the magic that certain holidays or other "lies" bring to their children's* faces.

I really wouldn't mind if the girls believed in Santa or the Easter Bunny or The Tooth Fairy. Why not give kids all the magic in life we can because it sure as hell doesn't exist as an adult!

If I missed anything fill me in please.

*According to Firefox there is no correct way of spelling children's. Not without an ' or with one. Wow.. just wow.  

God-Raped-Me

DeathlyLost

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:34 pm
I so agree that it's no big in allowing kids to believe in Santa/Easter Bunny/Tooth Fairie/what have you. Why ruin their innocence? It's not worth it to crush a kid's hopes and dreams. I think it also allows parents to think back to their happy childhoods when there was no such thing as bills, car payments, house payments, and responsibility. XD  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:39 pm
God-Raped-Me
I keep seeing the whole "kids are mad when they learn the truth" way of thinking. Usually when they finally know Santa isn't real they're old enough to handle it properly. When I stopped believing I was happy that my parents went through so much to try and make the christmas holidays so special for me.

And Kal is right, if the parents are getting gifts JUST to win something from the kids, pooy on them! As a parent though I have to say I love seeing the look of amazment and excitement on a kids face when they open the right present. Parents live to make their kids happy when they can and all we want to see is the wonder, and excitement, and even the magic that certain holidays or other "lies" bring to their children's* faces.

I really wouldn't mind if the girls believed in Santa or the Easter Bunny or The Tooth Fairy. Why not give kids all the magic in life we can because it sure as hell doesn't exist as an adult!

If I missed anything fill me in please.

*According to Firefox there is no correct way of spelling children's. Not without an ' or with one. Wow.. just wow.

No magic as an adult?
You just wait till you have met me and liz  

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250

God-Raped-Me

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:28 pm
Other than What my kids do for me, and the few surprises GTR gives me, there is no magic for me anymore. It went away when I stopped staking. Skating was MY magic!

You two totally have to come too! Our living room is large enough if you two wanted to spend the night.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:37 pm
Sure =D
But I have no clue when =/
we'll find out =D  

Shram

4,000 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250

~DR.MOOFASA~

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:39 pm
probably around christmas time/holiday season. 3nodding

EDIT:
is when he'll likely be here, i mean. sweatdrop i wasn't inviting ourselves over to christmas/family dinner .. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:22 pm
It seems really stupid to believe in a fat guy that only works one day a year every year.

I didnt believe in the fat guy and Im wondering how any other kid could really believe either.  

Bloody hell 321

Nici la Fey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:42 pm
I just watched a Morning Musume music video that put me in the mind of Christmas. heart And good point, there's a lot of pointing out of using imagination, but is it really necessary if they only use that imagination once a year?

Besides, kids have PLENTY of imagination with him or without him. In fact, some forget he even exists until the holiday season. It's not like they thought about him all year long.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:53 pm
I know you weren't inviting yourselves over Liz. That's cool if you two want to come then. Is Shram back from overseas now?

@Bloody: It's called being a kid and wanting something to believe in.

@Le fay: They do have plenty of imagination and they do forget about Santa. The point is that it's still special to them.  

God-Raped-Me

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:55 am
@Bloody hell: Santa works all year, he just only makes public appearances in December! How do you think he manages to get all those toys and know what everyone wants? Besides, he visits Ukrainians on January 6th, and children in various other cultures on other days around Christmas.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:08 am
I think its okay to let kids believe in Santa... its fun for them when they're younger, and when you get older you just start thinking about it and realize that Santa and the Easter Bunny and all these things aren't real, and by that age most kids wouldn't even care about it enough anymore to be upset about it... I don't think it makes kids lie or anything.. I think its just a fun tradition thing for kids, it actually seems worse to me to never let a kid believe in Santa when they're the right age while everyone else gets to.  

NorthEastFire

blue0212

3,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:13 pm
I think kids should just find out on their own. My parents never told me the truth. As a matter of fact, I only found out the truth when I matched Santa's handwriting to my parent's,  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:00 pm
I stopped believing in Santa when I was six. I went downstairs one night for a drink of water and my mother was caught dead writing FROM SANTA on a tag. There goes my dream of meeting Saint Nick.
I wouldn't want a child to go around spouting nonsense, but we are (or were) kids. When we grow older, beliefs such as Santa, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy and all those lies will fly off of our children, and it's best to let them believe and face the truth on their own.  

Miss Sane

x-x-Blonde-Angel-x-x

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:49 am
OMG, they sooooooo should be allowed that was the BEST lie ever, when i was younger knowing that Santa would came made my Christmas' extra special, let every child believe in this amazing lie 4laugh

Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff