Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Amika Orange

5,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:44 am
Thanks? I'm sorry my eyes are ovular, but I don't quite get what that means. (I know it means oval, but I mean in reference to my drawings)
I know they're round, but with the eyelids over them, they look more oval or almond-like than a sphere. (in my opinion, at least)  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:05 pm
Amika Orange
Thanks? I'm sorry my eyes are ovular, but I don't quite get what that means. (I know it means oval, but I mean in reference to my drawings)
I know they're round, but with the eyelids over them, they look more oval or almond-like than a sphere. (in my opinion, at least)
Look at your eyes in the mirror. Your pupils and corneas are circular, not ovular or almond or any other shape. Cats have slitted eyes, but their corneas are still circular.  

Blessed Blade

Amika Orange

5,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:12 am
pupils, yes. not the eye. But even the iris is usually covered at least a bit by the eyelid in most people.
And anyways, there's no need to be so condescending. :<  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:13 am
Blessed Blade
Amika Orange
Look at your eyes in the mirror. Your pupils and corneas are circular, not ovular or almond or any other shape. Cats have slitted eyes, but their corneas are still circular.
Also. The coloured bit you're talking about isn't the cornea. The cornea is the smooth clear covering over the pupil that you can't actually see. That is the Iris.  

Amika Orange

5,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Citizen 200

Neitsabes
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:29 am
Cartoons shouldn't be biologically perfect, whatever makes the character looks good, I say 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:03 am
Thank you. I don't see the point in perfection if you could just take a photo instead. :<  

Amika Orange

5,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Citizen 200

Blessed Blade

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:39 pm
Alright, I've forgotten my eye definitions. My point still stands. Human eyes are essentially spheres, the pupil and the iris are essentially circular.

I'm not asking you to make things picture perfect, I'm asking you to choose to learn how to actually draw what you see in front of you before you start deciding how to stylize it.

Why am I condescending? Because that's what I did for years too, refusing to actually learn to draw, hindering my own growth by mindlessly adhering to the other people's standards of stylization. I wish I had someone to tell me what they actually thought.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:43 pm
I just don't get why you're berating me and nobody else. That's not exactly fair, is it?

Also, I still really am not sure what you're saying is wrong with it. It isn't oval, it IS a circle, but you can't see the part thats covered by the eyelid. Unless a person has a really wide-eyed expression, some of it is covered.
Example:
Picture of an eye
This is a picture of a real eye. It is not perfectly circular in the way you're saying it should be.

I could try and work on my drawing if I knew what you were talking about. :<  

Amika Orange

5,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Citizen 200

Blessed Blade

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:04 pm
Take the picture of the avatar in your signature. The shape of the eye in that image is exceptionally dissimilar to the eye in link you provided. Don't you see what I'm saying? That eye isn't "circular" in the way the image you provided is. I'm not talking about the way the eyelid cuts off the eye, I'm talking about the shape of the cornea being generally circular in reality, and completely not circular in your illustrations.

Why am I hitting you? Because you posted your art and that's what we're discussing right now. But it's actually not you I'm ranting at. At the moment I am exceptionally critical of non-circular pupils and corneas, to the point where I almost can't stand to watch anime. It drives me nuts.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:29 pm
If you're going to insist on being right, can you at least learn the anatomical names of what you're correcting? Again, it is not the cornea. The cornea is a clear thing you Cannot see, so you don't illustrate it unless you are making a diagram for the purpose of showing where it is.

Also, I posted that picture for you to compare it to the shape of the eye you were saying was wrong in the first place. To compare it to a different picture altogether doesn't make sense.
I know cartoons don't show real life, because I'm not stupid.

I like drawing cartoony things, because it's fun.
People like you take the fun out of it.
It doesn't have to be perfect, as long as it's what I enjoy doing.
Advice is good, but it's just insulting when the person giving it is being mean and condescending.  

Amika Orange

5,400 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
  • Citizen 200

Blessed Blade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:41 pm
You posted in an art critique thread! Don't post in an art critique thread if you don't want your art critiqued! If you don't want people's opinions, don't go to places where they're being given out.

And I'm not even being mean! I have insulted neither you nor your art. You must have the thinnest skin that ever existed.

And yes, you're right. I was using the entirely wrong word. "Iris" is indeed the word I was looking for; thank you for correcting me.

All I am saying is this: I dislike non-circular pupils and irises. I also dislike shovel jaws. I dislike them not because cartoons should be realistic. I dislike them because many young artists copy that style instead of being individually creative. I say this as someone who did that exact thing for years, only to realize that I can't draw an actual face to save my life. So right now I work on portraits and am trying to develop my own stylization for the human face, one with circular pupils and irises, and rounded, functional jaws.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 28 29 30 31

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff