Reply SCA Guild
The Ultimate Setup Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

So, whats your persona's style?
  PIRATE! ARRRRRGH!
  To go a Viking, boyo! The Norse O.P.! Original Pirate!
  Scottish, Lad! *raise up the Claymore*
  Roman, RAGH! *shield dropped, sword drawn*
  English / British style. A bit of sophistication, don't you agree?
  French / Musketeer. 'Tis better, no?
  Japanese. *bow*
  Italian / Romani / Gypsy. Ahh, to be free is the best of all!
  Um...none of the above. Sorry. : sweat :
View Results

Dema

1,550 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:48 pm
Naito_Mitsukai
CassiusD

You're right. I suppose I should have explained something from the beginning too, I just don't think about it. The honor and chivalry part isn't important to me for a reason, what many people consider honor and chivalry I consider common courtesy. I don't go out of my way to do it because behaving with a certain degree of civility is just how I was raised. I don't get into the fancy, flowery speech that I've heard some people use along with it either because I just tend to be a blunt, straightforward person. I've been told when fighting I am honorable but to me it's just being myself. For example, I've taken hands when fencing people much better then me through a lucky shot. They lose their main hand so I lose mine too. I've been told by some people that I shouldn't do that because even with them using their off hand they still totally outclass me. I can't do otherwise though, I can't explain the feeling I get, it just goes against my nature to not do as I do. I don't consider myself honorable or chivalrous because I don't really think about what I should do or try to be nice to others, I just be myself and I guess it ends up the same, if it doesn't then so be it. I am what I am and I won't try to be anything else. I do avoid court and the upper classes in the sca though, I don't want to insult someone by addressing them wrong but there is no way I can remember all the formalities. I didn't even realise that I was supposed to kneel to the princess when she gave me my AoA.

Oh, don't worry I know that feeling. Although it's less obvious in a woman then in a man when they're brought up with that type of mannerism. xd For my it's simply holding doors open for everyone - even guys! wink (who usually tell me it's supposed to be the other way around), and allowing children and seniours first, and offering and arm to such, when it's icy, and the like! 3nodding heart

And oh - don't get me near royalty! sweatdrop It's screw up so bad! rofl

The first, and so far the only, sanctioned event I went to I was on merchants row with Master Elexi and a pointy came by and I just stood there and looked at him as Elexi did a slight bow(which is what you're supposed to do apparently) But I had no clue cuz there are no pointies at the other events I go to so no one ever coached me LMFAO.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:02 pm
Dema
Naito_Mitsukai
CassiusD

You're right. I suppose I should have explained something from the beginning too, I just don't think about it. The honor and chivalry part isn't important to me for a reason, what many people consider honor and chivalry I consider common courtesy. I don't go out of my way to do it because behaving with a certain degree of civility is just how I was raised. I don't get into the fancy, flowery speech that I've heard some people use along with it either because I just tend to be a blunt, straightforward person. I've been told when fighting I am honorable but to me it's just being myself. For example, I've taken hands when fencing people much better then me through a lucky shot. They lose their main hand so I lose mine too. I've been told by some people that I shouldn't do that because even with them using their off hand they still totally outclass me. I can't do otherwise though, I can't explain the feeling I get, it just goes against my nature to not do as I do. I don't consider myself honorable or chivalrous because I don't really think about what I should do or try to be nice to others, I just be myself and I guess it ends up the same, if it doesn't then so be it. I am what I am and I won't try to be anything else. I do avoid court and the upper classes in the sca though, I don't want to insult someone by addressing them wrong but there is no way I can remember all the formalities. I didn't even realise that I was supposed to kneel to the princess when she gave me my AoA.

Oh, don't worry I know that feeling. Although it's less obvious in a woman then in a man when they're brought up with that type of mannerism. xd For my it's simply holding doors open for everyone - even guys! wink (who usually tell me it's supposed to be the other way around), and allowing children and seniours first, and offering and arm to such, when it's icy, and the like! 3nodding heart

And oh - don't get me near royalty! sweatdrop It's screw up so bad! rofl

The first, and so far the only, sanctioned event I went to I was on merchants row with Master Elexi and a pointy came by and I just stood there and looked at him as Elexi did a slight bow(which is what you're supposed to do apparently) But I had no clue cuz there are no pointies at the other events I go to so no one ever coached me LMFAO.

At Warriors and Warlords last year everyone around me dropped to their knees in a bow as some people walked past. It was only afterward that I found out that one of the people was the king. If a king walked past me tomorrow I'd forget to bow then too. I can't remember all the formalities when I'm supposed to use them so I tailored my personna to my memory problems. It's not that I'm trying to be rude, I take a handfull of pills every morning, they leave me a bit slowed down in certain ways. Stuff like fighting is no problem, it's mostly reflex. If I have to actually think quick about what to do I get mixed up though.  

CassiusD

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:07 pm
Yeah, I'd still screw up so bad. But luckily, I grew up in a chior - so I've somewhat masterd the skill of - if you see or hear someone doing something differently then you're doing, fix it quick! xd

Like when they change part of the song without telling me, takes me less then a quarter note to fix myself.

Likewise if I see someone across from me bowing or curstying, I quickly do the same before even looking around to see what they're doing it in refferance to when I know there's royalty around.

Also - my favourite 'pick-it-up-quick lesson'
"The more pointies on their head, the lower you bow!" whee heart  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:55 pm
Ok. In reference to earlier.

I was rude. I do that alot. Its not ego. Its the fact I'm a tactless a** who doesn't much give a s**t most of the time Naito. I read the words. Thats all I read. Not his feelings behind it. I should know better honestly. Considering I barely avoided being banished for not wording things correctly myself.

Cassius. Some of what I said was probably out of line. And yes, explaining what you meant does help.

Now.

About this bowing to the pointy hats and showing proper formality. I'm going to make this simple

I am Drottin Snaebjorn Hakonarson. Called Skaldbringer. Called Goldtongue. Drottin of Skalli Maerr. I am a Norseman. I do not bow to any. If I kneel it is from personal respect and if my head is lowered do not expect my eyes to be unless I know and trust you highly.

The king who gave me my AoA was fortunate. He was nervous, as he knows me, that I would not kneel. I did end up kneeling but did so with my toes bracing me. He knew I could move to strike quickly. In fact we played with that very bit some.

He remarked how I seemed quite ready to strike even though he was kind enough to let me into his court. My reply was that I was kind enough to allow him his court at my event and he should note that my knife was not on my belt.

He agreed that we both had compromised and perhaps we should listen to the words of his herald.

*grins* But thats what happens when the king is someone who remembers your first post on the Armour Archive!  

Snaebjorn

Chibbi_Satan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:55 am
Snaebjorn - Damn good idea for the floor of the tent. I've thought of many ideas such as this and seen them applied from friends of mine. They work wonders, especially in A-Frames. Not to mention your note on Canvas. Its great stuff that stays extreamly cool. 3nodding

Cassius - No offence taken, sorry for jumping the gun myself. sweatdrop And yes, to answer your question: you can get your canvas oil treated and its pennys in the long run. Great for the northwest and any area in An-Tir for that matter. 4laugh

Naito - Love you sweetheart, thank you for being the voice of reason. *bows* As always, your councel deserves the highest respect. heart

Dema - The only reason I bowed even a little is because I knew the Baron. sweatdrop Hes a good gentleman that I give respect to. But it must be said that I have to agree, albet reluctently, with Snaebjorn on this one:
I am Master Ilecfar Bjornson, Elexi the Stormcrow, Commander of the Drakkenguard and Guardian to Jormangand's Treaty. I am a Norseman and bow to no one except those I hold worthy of my honor. *chuckles* cool Unlike Snaebjorn, however, if I do lower my head its because I trust the other with utmost care, and KNOW they will not strike me. sweatdrop

Now, lets get back to the topic! LMAO!

~Master Elexi Stormcrow
~Commander of the Drakkenguard  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:20 am
*chuckles* I'm building my A frame and floor this spring so that it will be ready in time for Pennsic.

Cassius. About canvas tents. Don't make one. Seriously. You need an industrial strength sewing machine to handle the load. Also you need to be damn good with geometry. I learned this the hard way.

But if you are going to make one don't get regular canvas. Buy Sunforger marine grade. Its already water proofed, pre shrunk and fire retardent. Its the best stuff on the market. You will get some faint misting through the walls if the rain is pounding super hard but that will happen with any canvas you use.

All in all canvas will win out over a nylon tent for several reasons. Washing it just requires a hose. Its cooler. Often much larger if you make a nice pavilion. They look better. A good sized pavilion (say 12x16) can be divided so that you have your sleeping area and a "living room" to hang out with friends.

They are a bit more difficult to set up as they require alot of poles, ropes and stakes. But once you get the hang of it you and a couple of friends can set it up in about.... 20 minutes.  

Snaebjorn

Chibbi_Satan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:23 am
w00t! Bring on the idea's! ^_^ heart  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:25 pm
On formality, I found it easy to make my personna formality resilient just adjusting a few details. Rather then being a legionairre as I had originally planned I'm a Praetorian guard. They served only the empire. They guarded the emperor but only so long as he represented the empire. If he showed that the empire served him then the praetorians would replace him. As such my presonna has the view that the higher your rank the more of a servant you are. Those who rule must first serve. As such, while a good ruler will gain my respect, they will rarely if ever see formal acknowledgement. I don't disrespect anyone, there are just very few I'll treat any differently then I do everyone else. If you ever see me acting really formal I'm most likely being sarcastic, insulting the person without them knowing it. This fits my personal views, works for my personna, and works with my memory problems.  

CassiusD

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:14 pm
Chibbi_Satan

Naito - Love you sweetheart, thank you for being the voice of reason. *bows* As always, your councel deserves the highest respect. heart

Always the Devil's Advocate! wink And anything to bring 'round peace amongst our peoples! whee
And your respect is much appreciated M'lord! 3nodding heart

And I think once I get into a bigger shire - I'd love to join a group and have a big camp set-up! 3nodding I'd love to ask one of our old shire members who's moved, and ask him how to make that period-istic portable bedframe! 3nodding It was all wood, and held together by wedges and just the simplest of things. It was really quite awesome! I got to help put it together for our relay for life set-up! rofl heart
I'll have to wait ... but one day.... ~dreams big~ 4laugh

And it will have to be water proof! stare  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:04 am
Naito_Mitsukai
Chibbi_Satan

Always the Devil's Advocate! wink And anything to bring 'round peace amongst our peoples! whee
And your respect is much appreciated M'lord! 3nodding heart

And I think once I get into a bigger shire - I'd love to join a group and have a big camp set-up! 3nodding I'd love to ask one of our old shire members who's moved, and ask him how to make that period-istic portable bedframe! 3nodding It was all wood, and held together by wedges and just the simplest of things. It was really quite awesome! I got to help put it together for our relay for life set-up! rofl heart
I'll have to wait ... but one day.... ~dreams big~ 4laugh

And it will have to be water proof! stare

Well, if you'd like to join a bigger group, the Drakkenguard is always open to any who would need a good home. *he bows* We are 71 strong, and always looking for others of good heart.
If you are intrested, tell me and I'll PM you our yahoo group addy.  

Chibbi_Satan

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:11 pm
Why I think I'd deffinatly be interested in at least taking a look! Although I get the feeling I'm slightly out of the way! sweatdrop ~mumbles about little secluded northern shires~ But yes, please pm me! 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:53 am
Naito_Mitsukai
Why I think I'd deffinatly be interested in at least taking a look! Although I get the feeling I'm slightly out of the way! sweatdrop ~mumbles about little secluded northern shires~ But yes, please pm me! 3nodding

Ofcourse my dear. But that still does not mean you are not welcome to join our group from so far away. We will even send you a sash and flag of our house so that you may wear your colors proudly, and chat with you about all sorts of events, hoping you are able to do so in return. ^_^ heart

~Master Elexi Stormcrow

Chibbi_Satan

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:05 pm
Chibbi_Satan
Naito_Mitsukai

Ofcourse my dear. But that still does not mean you are not welcome to join our group from so far away. We will even send you a sash and flag of our house so that you may wear your colors proudly, and chat with you about all sorts of events, hoping you are able to do so in return. ^_^ heart

~Master Elexi Stormcrow

Awesome! heart biggrin But would it be okay to talk you and some others from Drakkenguard first though? biggrin (probably best to do that on a different thread or something though, eh? sweatdrop )  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:45 pm
Naito_Mitsukai
Chibbi_Satan
Naito_Mitsukai

~Master Elexi Stormcrow

Awesome! heart biggrin But would it be okay to talk you and some others from Drakkenguard first though? biggrin (probably best to do that on a different thread or something though, eh? sweatdrop )

You remember that one night when we had that group convo, most of those people were Drakkenguard members hehehe ^_^

*mumbles something about needing to make about a gazillion more belt favors*  

Dema

1,550 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Chibbi_Satan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:34 pm
Dema
Naito_Mitsukai
Chibbi_Satan
Naito_Mitsukai

~Master Elexi Stormcrow

You remember that one night when we had that group convo, most of those people were Drakkenguard members hehehe ^_^

*mumbles something about needing to make about a gazillion more belt favors*

Yes, yes you do. LOL *hugs*  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas