Work Pet Peeves Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AntoniaMerEnfant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:54 pm
Headhunter
Wow, that really sucks that you were treated like that, Antonia. Nothing grates my nerves more than someone who questions my competence. People who do that usually end up on my list of enemies and never leave it. Ever.

It really bothers me when they act as though you can neither hear nor understand what they're saying about you. stare  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:29 am
and it's reasons like that which caused me to either quit or get fired from quite a few jobs. i have no problem telling any supervisor where to shove their job. i even did it at my current job. the production manager, which is the second highest manager in my department, pulled me aside and told me i have some huge balls to say something like that to him. i told him that next time he makes me seem like the incompetent one, he'd be looking for someone to work my position. and since my position was vacant for nearly a year before i started there, he's not in any hurry to get rid of me.  

Super Buick

Sablara
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:26 am
Well, my current work has a few annoying people, but I've not been there long enough to have anything interesting to tell. I guess one thing is that we have a program called "work pace" which basically stops you from working every 10 mins - forcing you to take a break. I have been using a computer since I was in nappies...I know how to take breaks, and I do regularly - WITHOUT the silly program telling me to do so. I disable it when I log in each day. biggrin

My last job however....
My last boss introduced me to another geophysicist (a guy, about 40, who was going to join the company) as "The PLC girl" (PLC is the school I went to; so basically he introduced me as the school girl - not a geophysicist with 7 years experience). Then he started talking about me in a school uniform...latex outfits....and I quit. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:51 pm
Sablara
Well, my current work has a few annoying people, but I've not been there long enough to have anything interesting to tell. I guess one thing is that we have a program called "work pace" which basically stops you from working every 10 mins - forcing you to take a break. I have been using a computer since I was in nappies...I know how to take breaks, and I do regularly - WITHOUT the silly program telling me to do so. I disable it when I log in each day. biggrin

My last job however....
My last boss introduced me to another geophysicist (a guy, about 40, who was going to join the company) as "The PLC girl" (PLC is the school I went to; so basically he introduced me as the school girl - not a geophysicist with 7 years experience). Then he started talking about me in a school uniform...latex outfits....and I quit. rolleyes

Oh that always irritates me. I hate being called, Honey, Sweetie, Dear, Babe, etc. My only exception to this is people who are little old ladies or people who are very southern and call -everyone- that. But 40 year old guys who -never- call the male coworkers "honey" I absolutely despise. I really hate when customers do it. I once had a supervisor (Male 50s-60s) call me honey and sweetie (funny, he didn't call my gay male manager that wink ) once back me into a corner and demand a hug. When I told my manager I felt harassed he didn't get it. And creepy supervisor did NOT get his hug-- the kicker, he was a Vice President for a Women's College  

AntoniaMerEnfant

Sablara
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:58 am
What really annoys me is the lack of courtesy - basic things - when working in a large company. We have cleaners, and there is always plenty of spare toilet paper left in each cubicle, wrapped nicely. So why is it, that for the last week, EVERY TIME I have been to the toilet, I've had to unwrap a fresh roll and put it onto the toilet roll holder. How hard is it to replace a roll if you were the one to finish it? Obviously too hard for the ladies I work with. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:28 am
Sablara
What really annoys me is the lack of courtesy - basic things - when working in a large company. We have cleaners, and there is always plenty of spare toilet paper left in each cubicle, wrapped nicely. So why is it, that for the last week, EVERY TIME I have been to the toilet, I've had to unwrap a fresh roll and put it onto the toilet roll holder. How hard is it to replace a roll if you were the one to finish it? Obviously too hard for the ladies I work with. rolleyes

That sort of thing does my head in too!! I replaced the paper in a cafe just the other day!  

Doressa
Captain

Buyu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:42 pm
I work in a small retail store in the mall. We sell games, mostly tabletop (boardgames, card games, etc) as well as anime-related merchandise (which I was hired for, but I'm kind of an all-arounder too). One of our big money earners is Magic the Gathering. We have binders of the stuff. The binders are sorted by set and each set is sorted by color (mana) alphabetically. Simple. Effective. Organized.

If it weren't for the players.

I cannot recall how many times where someone has had me pull out countless of binders in order to: a) not buy anything, b) buy only $2 worth of cards or so and just want to "look", c) pull out a stack of cards from various binders and decide they only want $2 worth of them, forcing me to sort and put away their mess after they've gone.

Thankfully, option c) doesn't happen so much anymore since my coworkers and manager have had similar experiences and so we tell them not to pull anything they're not sure they don't want. Unfortunately, the other stuff still happens quite a bit.

This is not a quick process either. These guys like to pore over these binders like a scribe at a tome. I think the worst I've ever had to dealt with took a couple of hours. It's not like I can walk away either. I have to make sure the cards don't "disappear" on their own, and I have to price them when they ask.

I'm not knocking the game. Neither am I saying that all Magic players are a pain. (In fact, a couple of my best friends are avid players.) I'm just saying that most of them can be. (Especially when it comes to rules. Homg.)  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:56 am
Buyu
I work in a small retail store in the mall. We sell games, mostly tabletop (boardgames, card games, etc) as well as anime-related merchandise (which I was hired for, but I'm kind of an all-arounder too). One of our big money earners is Magic the Gathering. We have binders of the stuff. The binders are sorted by set and each set is sorted by color (mana) alphabetically. Simple. Effective. Organized.

If it weren't for the players.

I cannot recall how many times where someone has had me pull out countless of binders in order to: a) not buy anything, b) buy only $2 worth of cards or so and just want to "look", c) pull out a stack of cards from various binders and decide they only want $2 worth of them, forcing me to sort and put away their mess after they've gone.

Thankfully, option c) doesn't happen so much anymore since my coworkers and manager have had similar experiences and so we tell them not to pull anything they're not sure they don't want. Unfortunately, the other stuff still happens quite a bit.

This is not a quick process either. These guys like to pore over these binders like a scribe at a tome. I think the worst I've ever had to dealt with took a couple of hours. It's not like I can walk away either. I have to make sure the cards don't "disappear" on their own, and I have to price them when they ask.

I'm not knocking the game. Neither am I saying that all Magic players are a pain. (In fact, a couple of my best friends are avid players.) I'm just saying that most of them can be. (Especially when it comes to rules. Homg.)

The rules are a little-- eh?--- on that game. My ex fiance once tried to teach me. My response to him was "No, I think I will just go into the kitchen and make myself a snack." I can't imagine the horrors of selling such merchandise. I had a hard enough time mustering up patience when selling cellular phones (people always came two minutes before close, not knowing what plan or phone they wanted. Cell phones usually take between half an hour to an hour to get everything hashed out--especially first time activation).  

AntoniaMerEnfant

Sablara
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:27 am
I just encountered another peeve today. The senior guy I'm woring with just started redoing some of my work.
*sighs*
Mine is perfectly fine. But it's not "his" and he's very SUPER UBER clingy with work/data and has a need to put his name on every piece of work (just like a dog pissing on every tree in sight).

*sighs* Looks like I need to make the big jump to the other office.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:00 am
i could go on and on about things that piss me off at my current job, but the one that irks me most right now is this. there are a couple women at my shop, which isn't what bothers me. what bothers me is that they've been there 6 months each and make 40 cents more per hour than me. they both also spend the entire day chatting it up with each other. they also start working an hour after the shift started and start cleaning up an hour before the end of the shift. typically, we're only allowed 15 minutes to a half hour of cleanup time a day. yet, they get away with it. however, the one time i was waiting 15 minutes for parts, i got reamed out for not doing anything. where's the fairness in that??  

Super Buick

AntoniaMerEnfant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:05 am
Sablara
I just encountered another peeve today. The senior guy I'm woring with just started redoing some of my work.
*sighs*
Mine is perfectly fine. But it's not "his" and he's very SUPER UBER clingy with work/data and has a need to put his name on every piece of work (just like a dog pissing on every tree in sight).

*sighs* Looks like I need to make the big jump to the other office.

lol@dog/tree reference. I hate credit stealers.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:08 am
I work in a kitchen in a restaurant as a cook. What really bothers me is the mad rush to a steak house after church as though the 11th commandment were, "Thou shalt eat steak!". Also i hate how drama starts with co-workers and gossip. I come to work to WORK, not sit around and talk about people behind their back. Drama...I HATE IT!!! Oh and how come, if you're a manager, or one of their "select few", the rules don't apply to you, but the rest can sod off and better follow the rules or else?! (*sigh*, Do you get the impression i may need a new job?)  

Ybrik

AntoniaMerEnfant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:42 am
Ybrik
I work in a kitchen in a restaurant as a cook. What really bothers me is the mad rush to a steak house after church as though the 11th commandment were, "Thou shalt eat steak!". Also i hate how drama starts with co-workers and gossip. I come to work to WORK, not sit around and talk about people behind their back. Drama...I HATE IT!!! Oh and how come, if you're a manager, or one of their "select few", the rules don't apply to you, but the rest can sod off and better follow the rules or else?! (*sigh*, Do you get the impression i may need a new job?)

Nothing says praise the Lord like bloody red meat. Eating cows is how you know the Christians from the Hindus.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:31 pm
I too work in a library. I would recomend the following book:

Quiet, please : dispatches from a public librarian / by Scott Douglas.

The website www.unshelved.com is really lots of fun too. It helps me get through my day.  

RisuNyfiken

21+

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces