Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Are ALL goths depressed? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 15 16 17 18 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:01 am
MortSanglant

Would you attribute that to the level of understanding that goths work to bring themselves to? Therefore allowing a better acceptance of what occurs around them?

No ammount of self-analysis can cure depression, any more than it can cure a broken leg. All it can do is teach a depressed person how to handle their condition and avoid the things that are most likely to send them into a slump.

Perhaps gothdom doesn't attract many depressives because they shy away from the morbid aspects that could make their condition worse.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:13 am
Veruniel
Chaos A.D.
dumb question..no they're not, we're gothic not emo....

I think there's a certain misunderstanding about what depression is, here.

Being Emo does not automatically mean you're depressed. Even if you show every negative Emo stereotype there is (whinging, writing bad poetry, claiming that you're totally miserable), it's not necessarily a sign of depression.

Most depressed people do not advertise the fact. They are ashamed of their condition and go to great lengths to hide it. If they 'cut' or otherwise damage themselves, they will put the scars in places that can be easily hidden. If they feel miserable, they will not talk about it except to their closest friends; the last thing they want is to cause a scene, because they don't feel they deserve any sympathy.

While not all goths are depressed, some most definitely are. You'll find the same percent of depressed people in practially every subculture. It's a physical disability and doesn't affect personal taste that much. Hell, I've known some seriously depressed scenesters and preppies in my time.

Personally? I am a depressed goth. I'm not ashamed to admit it, because long years of treatment have taught me that this problem is not willfull attention seeking and is not morally reprehensible. But you couldn't tell I have it if you met me. It's possible to be an optimistic person even if you have depression, because when the desease is not attacking you, you're as lucid and 'normal' as anyone else.

no but my point was that a lot of people call the goths i know emo, becuase of theri hair and clothes....they're not, they're the most happiest people i know, atleast they seem like it, it could bea cover up liek u said they do hide it, i do until i can't tak eanymore thne i go to at most....3 peopel about it. now do u understand what i'm saying?  

The Dadalorian

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:07 pm
Veruniel
GilAskan

Would you attribute that to the level of understanding that goths work to bring themselves to? Therefore allowing a better acceptance of what occurs around them?

No ammount of self-analysis can cure depression, any more than it can cure a broken leg. All it can do is teach a depressed person how to handle their condition and avoid the things that are most likely to send them into a slump.

Perhaps gothdom doesn't attract many depressives because they shy away from the morbid aspects that could make their condition worse.

(You put the wrong person's name to the quote)  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:44 pm
GilAskan
MortSanglant
GilAskan
Goths are rarely depressed, actually. Studies show that goths tend to be pretty happy compared to most people, in fact.

I do believe that is a major factor in it, yes. Though, I should make the distinction that it's not so much complacency like a cow accepting it's trip to the slaughterhouse, but an understanding in the functions of the world like an intricate clock and how one thing wll lead to another.

That's essentially what I meant.

And I do agree.

I was just curious as to whether we shared the same view on such.

3nodding

MortSanglant

Threl Kaar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:36 pm
GilAskan
Goths are rarely depressed, actually. Studies show that goths tend to be pretty happy compared to most people, in fact.

I'd like to read that study...  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:11 am
Threl Kaar
GilAskan

This isn't the study itself, but a BBC report on the study.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4828230.stm

BBC Report on Sussex University Study
"Goths are simply art lovers, who aspire to middle-class values... Goths are likely to grow up to be doctors, lawyers or architects, the study by Sussex University says.

They are refined and sensitive, keen on poetry and books, not big on drugs or anti-social behaviour. They are also likely to carry on being goths into their adult life.

They have an ability to express their feelings and are believers in romance rather than one-night stands, it says. In fact, the only things dark about them are their clothing and their sarcastic sense of humour."

GilAskan
Crew

deathcomes_onsilentwings

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:46 am
GiherroStar_12
^ Title explains... ^

No, not at all goths are depressed. I was depressed before, but that was when I was emo, and had the depression that ran in my dads side of the family go down to me.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:57 pm
No there is a difference between goth and emo. Some goths are also emo... but just because you are goth doesnt automatically link you to being an emo. 3nodding  

[Abby Normal]

-Isel-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:13 pm
GilAskan
Threl Kaar
GilAskan

"Goths are simply art lovers, who aspire to middle-class values... Goths are likely to grow up to be doctors, lawyers or architects, the study by Sussex University says.

They are refined and sensitive, keen on poetry and books, not big on drugs or anti-social behaviour. They are also likely to carry on being goths into their adult life.

They have an ability to express their feelings and are believers in romance rather than one-night stands, it says. In fact, the only things dark about them are their clothing and their sarcastic sense of humour."

None of the "goths" I know -don't- do drugs, and I'm quite anti-social myself.

One of the goths I knew (a first-wave goth from the 80's) grew up to work at Sharp Electronics and now is quite fond of hip-hop (to the point where we think she regrets being born white, as it's seeping into her daily life).

That study is... well, wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:36 pm
Isel
GilAskan
Threl Kaar
GilAskan

One of the goths I knew (a first-wave goth from the 80's) grew up to work at Sharp Electronics and now is quite fond of hip-hop (to the point where we think she regrets being born white, as it's seeping into her daily life).

The study is based on a large number of people. Individuals will certainly vary from one side of the spectrum to another, as said a few times, but again, the results is based on a wide and large study.

I personally know several dozen goths and NONE of them do ANY drugs. Just because my singular experience conflicts with yours doesn't essentially mean that you're wrong, and likewise, your conflicts with the results in the study doesn't mean you're wrong either.  

GilAskan
Crew

UraniumMonk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:02 pm
Isel
GilAskan
Threl Kaar
GilAskan

I'd have to say that from my experience, the goths I know tend to at least be considerably more responsible in their drug use that, say, the punks or metalheads I know.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:21 pm
Are you joking me?

We are gothic. Not emo, get your facts straight.

((Acually.. I know happy emo's.. o_o..))  

xxx Rice Cracker xxx

Veruniel
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:04 am
GilAskan
(You put the wrong person's name to the quote)

Oops. Sorry about that! Changing it now.  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 15 16 17 18 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff