monty python?
  yes
  no
  duct tape. : >)
View Results

Felix OFlyn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:26 pm
The Abortionater
Duct tape is a few of the holy relics of my houses regalia. The roll that created the first sword, the roll that bound Caiden hostages, the roll that held together the kings armor, and finally the empty rolls that created a house banner for war made ENTIRELY of duct tape.

Thats great.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:44 pm
Llelwyn
Duct tape: Wrapping weapons, keeping your armor on, making sure your bumper doesn't fall off your car on the way to an event, making patterns for garb that's supposed to be fitted... the possibilities are endless.

And has anyone seen the documentation? I've heard that duct tape is period. wink
It is. they used linen covered in tar  

[Xx Danzi xX]

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:42 pm
skatingrox180
Llelwyn
Duct tape: Wrapping weapons, keeping your armor on, making sure your bumper doesn't fall off your car on the way to an event, making patterns for garb that's supposed to be fitted... the possibilities are endless.

And has anyone seen the documentation? I've heard that duct tape is period. wink
You just made my world.
Where did you learn this?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:41 pm
Kittywitch
skatingrox180
Llelwyn

You just made my world.
internet. xd i wanted to prove to my parents the duct tape is period. after alot of reading, I found out that they used tar and linen.  

[Xx Danzi xX]

Dema

1,550 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:52 pm
ok Duct tape I can understand (for boffers, clothes, quick fixes ETC) but umm...Monty Python??....Am I missing something or is this maybe a thing from a different kingdom/area. I realize that MP is all full of knights and stuff but really can't see how else it ties in with the SCA....  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:58 pm
Duct tape ninja whee  

[Xx Danzi xX]

Regular Polyhedra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:43 pm
Dema
ok Duct tape I can understand (for boffers, clothes, quick fixes ETC) but umm...Monty Python??....Am I missing something or is this maybe a thing from a different kingdom/area. I realize that MP is all full of knights and stuff but really can't see how else it ties in with the SCA....

Over all, the SCA attracts more geeks than anything; at least in my experience. I mean, look at how many Gaians are SCAdians! XD
I don't know how many times I've heard a friend say after getting a rather spectacular armor bite, "It's just a flesh wound!" and proceed to go fight some more/have a beer.

ALSO ALSO ALSO...
Duct tape is period, 'cause PBS told me so. 3nodding
heart  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:19 pm
~__under__statement__~
Kittywitch
skatingrox180
Llelwyn

You just made my world.
internet. xd i wanted to prove to my parents the duct tape is period. after alot of reading, I found out that they used tar and linen.
Can you find the site again?  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

Felix OFlyn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:58 pm
Dema

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.... At least I have hear... and seen lots of jokes.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:00 pm
Rial k**e
Dema

Monty Python and the Holy Grail.... At least I have hear... and seen lots of jokes.

Yeah I kinda get that, but its like not even the same time period or anything LOL, but yeah we do hear a lot of Holy Grail quotes at events so I guess....  

Dema

1,550 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:14 am
Dema
Rial k**e
Dema

Yeah I kinda get that, but its like not even the same time period or anything LOL, but yeah we do hear a lot of Holy Grail quotes at events so I guess....
Not the same time period? What do you mean? I mean, there's lots of theories about when Arthur was/would have been, but they all fall into SCA period.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:38 pm
[Shall.We.Blaspheme]
Hahaha. Caid.

As an Atlantian, (See "Heavy Fighter", "Thug", "Make go Crunch") all I've really known is heavy fighting. I choose not to participate in rapier combat because I don't find it to be as... I want to say skillful, as actual fencing. My father was a fencer and apparently, in proper fencing, there is a riposte for every attack. I can certainly see a high level of professionalism and respect in that sport, it sounds a lot like Chess, in that everyone gets the same pieces but has to think ahead of the opponent.

Whereas, from what I've seen from Atlantian rapier fighters, it is just as it sounds. Swishity pokity. Skinny fellas and girls in floppy hats and puffy shirts, cavaliers set somewhere around 1600, or 1650 in some places.

What burns me up, are the rapier fighters who want the same awards the heavy fighters get. The day I see a white belt on a swashbuckler, I'm selling all my armor. I don't know alot about rapier fighting, but I know heavy, and heavy requires stances, ample footwork, agility, strength, accuracy, and stamina. Occasionally, I get hit with a rattan sword in my bare skin. Fortunately, being a larger gentleman, I can shrug off a hit -directly- to the bone.

Everything rapier fighters do, we have to do in heavier gear. And you get much more momentum with the heavier weapons, so you have to maintain higher control with a polearm or two hander as opposed to a Schlager.

Im not saying rapier fighters are inferior, and there are those with whom I maintain close friendships, it is simply a matter of choice - and respect. Fencing is skirting the edges of a stray thread in the fabric of period play.

Ok. First of all. One of the people who led the charge for fencing in the East kingdom is Morguhn Sheridan. He has his white scarf. He also has strawberry leaves 4 times over, a gold chain and a white belt.

Everything you do in heavy combat is the same as Rapier. Only you're slower, less accurate 8 times out of 10 and your weapons are only 1/2-3/4 the weight of a schlager.

A pole arm may build more momentum but it has very little to do with the weight. It has to do with the length. Anything 5-7 feet long is going to build more momentum at the tip then something 3 feet long. Period. Thats simple physics.

If a rattan weapon breaks your opponent generally just shrugs and you change weapons. If a rapier breaks and it isn't noticed you could have a serious injury on your hands.

I've seen fencers play a game called Quarters. They tape quarters to their armour in places and those are the only valid targets. Its used to increase point control.

Bending 14 gauge steel may take alot of strength but it takes no finesse. Hitting a quarter on a target that can bend a twist more ways then you can imagine while wrapped up in heavy armour takes alot more control and speed then you can imagine.

Every single heavy fighter I know that is counted as one of the best in the kingdom of Aethelmearc either still fights or has fought rapier in the past to learn better point control, better foot work, and more finesse in their general sword work.

The common consensus is that the only way to get better foot work then rapier combat is to dance.

In service,
Lord Snaebjorn Hakonarson
ocassionaly heavy fighter  

Snaebjorn

Dema

1,550 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:06 pm
Kittywitch
Dema
Rial k**e
Dema

Not the same time period? What do you mean? I mean, there's lots of theories about when Arthur was/would have been, but they all fall into SCA period.

oh, I thought it fell after....ignore me then LOL.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:42 am
Llelwyn

Duct tape itself is not period, but there was a type of substance that was used in mideval times where the used to take cloth strips and dip them in a sticky and gooey adhesive and use them much the same way. I think it was made of tar...
It was mostly used for repairing canvas and large cloth items.  

Chibbi_Satan

SCA Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces