Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Restart Check: Warm Springs Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SunnyTasha

Friendly Fatcat

7,950 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:29 am
Kowsauni
SunnyTasha
Hi, I'm completely new to the guild.
I've been playing D&D 5e for years now.
I've played online games and at home games
never played on Gaia before
but as of recent I've been bored with this Stay at Home order
so I'm looking to try something I can do while I work from home
biggrin

Are you interested in joining this campaign? We can guide you through making a character sheet if so.

Yes, and I'll take all the help I can get. Thank you
Also, I'm not picky on what type of class I play.  
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:11 pm
Well currently, we only have Pup's Theren Duskbane, a wood elf rogue accepted. And Kow is working on the Unearthed Arcana class Mystic with a re-flavored winged tiefling or centaur. So, the ultimate question is what do you want to play?

I often allow homebrew and Unearthed Arcana content. I only want to set eyes upon it and give my okay to them, beforehand.

Classes that already have my seal of approval are The Brawler, The Revised Ranger, The Spell-less Ranger, and The Blood Hunter.

There haven't been many races that danced across my screen. sweatdrop  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:53 pm
So I will definitely be playing either a Monk or Mystic.

So SunnyTasha what kind of character are you interested in playing? Dnd is pretty flexible about the party make up. Right now we don't have a big beefy person to stand up in the front or someone with heals, so if you interested in either of those rolls you could play them.  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:17 am
Southern Cross Nemesis
Pup: By your statement; Artificer, Sorcerer, Wizard, E.Knight, and select Expeditious Retreat would also have access to the triple movement. While everyone else is stuck in the background, as the Artificer's cannon and Warlock blast away at the incoming orcs. Oh, the orcs also had their own means of extra movement. razz

As for E.Retreat, and classes/race with Dash as bonus. I would argue, it would serve the much the same function as it does now. Action, Twice movement.

Where those who use only sprint can only close the distance.

I sent you a discord message on why I think this is a terrible homebrew rule. If you are adamant on keeping it, I think I will back out. I am not down with every enemy being able to instant transmission right on top of the low hp caster and slaughter them through forced AOP or forcing them to give up their turn repeatedly. Especially if there was a mob, they could literally just lock out a caster. Sure bro, cast fireball on yourself, take 8 attacks before you get it off though.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 8:57 am
It says in his post SCN was just asking what are thoughts were and if we want to implement those rules or not. If you don't want to do them I'm fine with it either way.  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:14 am
PupSage
I think you missed the point of why I posted it as I did. I did that so WE could discuss and iron out the foreseeable kinks, or flat out eliminate a bad idea.

None of the home-brewed rules are set in stone. They wouldn't even be implemented if the minority doesn't like the them.

Even my inspiration rules can be tossed. As they are little more than a tie-in to previous addition's Action Point system. Due to the fact, I think gaining advantage is a silly reward when there are literally Thousands of ways to gain advantage in 5e.

Your game, where we strolled through a forest and fought a few large squirrels. Is still my only 5e game I played as a player. sweatdrop

The most the of the not quoted "rules" were suggested from a youtuber who has ran/played 5e games for years, and I agreed with his reasoning. So there maybe a interpretation error, or it could bad rule all together and his group doesn't see it.  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:18 am
Technically, the only one that is set in stone is on the character creation post. And it goes...

Quote:
[ House/Optional Rules ]

1] We are playing with feats, so yes the Variant Human is allowed.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:06 am
Southern Cross Nemesis
PupSage
I think you missed the point of why I posted it as I did. I did that so WE could discuss and iron out the foreseeable kinks, or flat out eliminate a bad idea.

None of the home-brewed rules are set in stone. They wouldn't even be implemented if the minority doesn't like the them.

Even my inspiration rules can be tossed. As they are little more than a tie-in to previous addition's Action Point system. Due to the fact, I think gaining advantage is a silly reward when there are literally Thousands of ways to gain advantage in 5e.

Your game, where we strolled through a forest and fought a few large squirrels. Is still my only 5e game I played as a player. sweatdrop

The most the of the not quoted "rules" were suggested from a youtuber who has ran/played 5e games for years, and I agreed with his reasoning. So there maybe a interpretation error, or it could bad rule all together and his group doesn't see it.

I just think 5x is a bit crazy. I can see that the goal is to make it so that crossing a huge battlefield isn't as much of a bore on the melee peeps, but even something like, "If the entirety of a players turn is given up for movement in a straight line that player may gain an extra 5 ft per action spent" fixes that better than giving them 150ft of movement to bob and weave and get themselves perfectly where they need to be.
Weapons have range limits which caps at about 600ft with a longbow, and while it suck to have to cross that distance while getting hit with arrow fire, the person would have disadvantage up to 150 ft, and from there you have 2.5 turns. It totally makes having an entire wall of archers a viable defense for a fortress, but historically that is true.

Easier solutions that don't involve rule changes:
*Most monsters have a melee and ranged option, and most PCs have a melee and ranged option. While a strength focused character may suck with a bow, they could have throwing spears.
*Stealth is your friend. Don't want to start a fight with a bunch of distance between you and your enemy? Stealth in, group stealth rules are a thing, let the party move in 30 ft per successful check, or more if they have certain powers.
*Even if a monster stat block doesn't have a ranged option, you are the DM, give it one. Toss rocks, have a bow, whatever.

The problem you are trying to fix here is one that as a DM you can easily remove without a rules adjustment.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:48 am
Anyways, here is my character sheet. I decided to go with Triya my Lamia as a Mystic. The only thing I changed from the base centaur race was to change the hooves to claws and changed the damage type on them from bludgeoning to slashing.  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:49 am
PupSage

I just think 5x is a bit crazy. I can see that the goal is to make it so that crossing a huge battlefield isn't as much of a bore on the melee peeps, but even something like, "If the entirety of a players turn is given up for movement in a straight line that player may gain an extra 5 ft per action spent" fixes that better than giving them 150ft of movement to bob and weave and get themselves perfectly where they need to be.
Weapons have range limits which caps at about 600ft with a longbow, and while it suck to have to cross that distance while getting hit with arrow fire, the person would have disadvantage up to 150 ft, and from there you have 2.5 turns. It totally makes having an entire wall of archers a viable defense for a fortress, but historically that is true.

Easier solutions that don't involve rule changes:
*Most monsters have a melee and ranged option, and most PCs have a melee and ranged option. While a strength focused character may suck with a bow, they could have throwing spears.
*Stealth is your friend. Don't want to start a fight with a bunch of distance between you and your enemy? Stealth in, group stealth rules are a thing, let the party move in 30 ft per successful check, or more if they have certain powers.
*Even if a monster stat block doesn't have a ranged option, you are the DM, give it one. Toss rocks, have a bow, whatever.

The problem you are trying to fix here is one that as a DM you can easily remove without a rules adjustment.

You do realize, I won't be using the sprint rule, it is solely for the player's benefit. And, I often do mod out my monsters.

Besides, it has tie-ins with 3.5 and Pathfinder(which 5e is FAR to similar too) where the ruling was...

Quote:
If you use two move actions in a round (sometimes called a “double move” action), you can move up to double your speed. If you spend the entire round running, you can move up to quadruple your speed (or triple if you are in heavy armor).

They even had a feat that changed it to 5x your speed, but the number of times it was actually brought up was usually low.

But, as said, as long as the minority... I will not implement it. What do you think of the other ones?  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:39 am
Kowsauni
Anyways, here is my character sheet. I decided to go with Triya my Lamia as a Mystic. The only thing I changed from the base centaur race was to change the hooves to claws and changed the damage type on them from bludgeoning to slashing.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:43 am
Ok, that was supposed to be a Chuck Norris thumbs up gif. But, it failed to load... evil

Either way, Triya is accepted.  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:08 pm
Southern Cross Nemesis

Besides, it has tie-ins with 3.5 and Pathfinder(which 5e is FAR to similar too) where the ruling was...

Quote:
If you use two move actions in a round (sometimes called a “double move” action), you can move up to double your speed. If you spend the entire round running, you can move up to quadruple your speed (or triple if you are in heavy armor).

They even had a feat that changed it to 5x your speed, but the number of times it was actually brought up was usually low.

But, as said, as long as the minority... I will not implement it. What do you think of the other ones?

This isn't 3.5 though ... despite Kow linking a 3.5 supplement for their race.
I just don't think it will work well.

The rest of the rules are pretty inconsequential.  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:41 pm
PupSage

This isn't 3.5 though ... despite Kow linking a 3.5 supplement for their race.
I just don't think it will work well.

The rest of the rules are pretty inconsequential.

I was just saying the three are way too similar, Kow linking 3.5 had nothing to do with how I see the system as a whole.

And I fail to see how a Conan Melbarian summoning their inner Usain Bolt has consequences. Besides limiting the number of turns they are going to use in moving to, or away from, target. When bonus proficiencies and a free feat/ability score jump doesn't.

I am not arguing this anymore. It isn't being implemented, you already made your point, and I already made my ruling.  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

SunnyTasha

Friendly Fatcat

7,950 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:20 am
Kowsauni
So I will definitely be playing either a Monk or Mystic.

So SunnyTasha what kind of character are you interested in playing? Dnd is pretty flexible about the party make up. Right now we don't have a big beefy person to stand up in the front or someone with heals, so if you interested in either of those rolls you could play them.

I've been thinking about doing an unearthed arcana Circle of Stars Druid.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff