Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Riddles

Back to Guilds

Put Your Mind To The Test - Join us on a mad-cap romp thru the seven seas in search of the ultimate riddle(and advenchar! - V.C. Austin) 

Tags: Riddles, puzzles, role-playing, pirates, riddle 

Reply Riddle Lounge
RiddleRound the Game Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What is your favourite alphabet?
  I
  U
  T
  C
  O
  Arrrrrr!
View Results

Turpentity
Crew

Dapper Stalker

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Pie For All! 300
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:54 am
AAAAWGH. MATH. gonk I'M BAD AT MATH.

(Also, now's summer holiday. I can freely forget all the math I had to memorize in high school, lol xd )  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:17 pm
No, no. It's not math, it's a pattern!!!  

Aistriu Aes Sidhe

Feral Shapeshifter

Lyssan
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:56 pm
Yeppa yeppa... a pattern it doth be... come one... see if you can figure it out. xd  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:25 pm
metarukaze

Would it happen to be:

Reasoning: Line two states 1 number 1, line 3 states 2 number 1s, line 4 states 1 number 2 and 1 number 1, and so on and so forth.

I hope this is right because it took me forever sitting with a piece of paper trying to reason it out.  

EstoPerpetua
Crew

Turpentity
Crew

Dapper Stalker

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Pie For All! 300
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:45 am
Wow. I am just stunned.

You were actually able to solve it?!? eek  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:07 am
So...is that the correct answer or...?  

Turpentity
Crew

Dapper Stalker

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Pie For All! 300

Aistriu Aes Sidhe

Feral Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:14 pm
kapow123
metarukaze

Would it happen to be:

Reasoning: Line two states 1 number 1, line 3 states 2 number 1s, line 4 states 1 number 2 and 1 number 1, and so on and so forth.

I hope this is right because it took me forever sitting with a piece of paper trying to reason it out.

Yes, perfect!
Would you like to tell the next riddle, or give the honor to another?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:39 am
Someone else can do it... I don't have many to give.  

EstoPerpetua
Crew

Turpentity
Crew

Dapper Stalker

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Pie For All! 300
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:03 am
I can!

Umm...oh, this is a good one (also long, unfortunately).

In a certain kingdom, the king was bored. He already collected the taxes from the people and now he had nothing to do. Then he had an idea of having some fun tricking the convicts.
He called out from the dungeons one of the prisoners who was put there when he couldn't afford to pay his taxes. The prisoner and the king talked and made a little game, where the bet was the prisoner's life.
Here's how it went: after two days, the prisoner would come back to the king. In front of the king there will be a table with two paper notes facing upside down. One note has a white circle, the second one had black one. The prisoner must pick one of the notes. If he gets the note with a white circle, he will be let free; if he gets the black circle, though, he will be executed. Also, he would be executed if he didn't pick either of the notes.
The prisoner was put back to his jail, where he had time to think of a strategy; he heard from other jailbirds that the king has played that game before with former prisoners, and none stayed alive. This was because the king cheated: both of the notes had always black circles.
Two days later the prisoner returned to the king. As the king said, there really was a table with two notes. Besides the king, the room they were in had other guests, such as guards and other nobles, who would make sure the prisoner would not lie about what he got, the black or the white one. But they didn't know that the king was cheating.
The prisoner stood in front of the table, thinking what to do.
Suddenly, he got an idea that would save his life and get him free.
Later the prisoner walked away from the castle, all alive and well.

What did the prisoner do?

Jebus Christ, that ridle took like forever to write...  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:18 am
ah... the only answer I can come up with here is that he tells the king he would pick whatever paper the king does not pick and has the king pick first... if the paper has a black circle, the king has to say he's been set free because if he lets the prisoner turn over the second one, everyone would see that he's been cheating... not a good thing when you are king,... kind of leads to a quick loss of power and one's own head.... xd  

Lyssan
Captain

Turpentity
Crew

Dapper Stalker

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Pie For All! 300
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:49 pm

Wow. eek

You just made maybe the most evil sounding answer to this riddle.

But no, that is not the answer. The prisoner must pick a note, he can't just tell someone else to pick a note. (Also, the other ppl in the room are nobles and guards. Do you think they would really do a favor to a guy who's all dirty and messy and God knows what?)  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:34 pm
Could he have picked both up and shown the group both cards? That way the other nobles would know that the king is cheating and that the prisoner never stood a chance.  

EstoPerpetua
Crew

Turpentity
Crew

Dapper Stalker

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Pie For All! 300
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:45 am
That is not allowed. Only one card can be touched.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:31 am
Hmmm, still say my method would work.... he's not asking for anyone to pick for him, only saying he's willing to take whatever comes to him after someone removes the first paper. He might be dirty smelly and a criminal in everyone's book, but such humility is considered "proper" in the peasant demeanor... Ah well, I'm stymied on this one... I can think of a hundred ways he could get people to help him turn over the papers, but without seeing the scene and gauging the distance between them, width of the table and what have you, none of them work... unless he manages to trip on the way to the table and causes one or the other of them to blow off. (both would be great, but only one is truly necesary) Even if the paper lands blank side up, when anyone picks it up, human nature would have them peek to see what the paper holds before they replaced the piece on the table top. Even if only one paper flies and only one person (other than the king that is) looks, all he would have to do is choose the opposite paper and someone would know of the trap. Not sure how that would save him though... gonk  

Lyssan
Captain

Kerobian
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:44 am
Actually, it's really simple. All he does is destroy the note he picks in some way, before others can see it. A classic example: He picks the note, pretends to swoon or faint, and "accidentally" drops the note into the fire. When everyone is roaring in rage, demanding to know what it was, he simply says "It's easy to know what I picked. Look at the one left on the table." Since it would 'have' to be the other one the prisoner picked, everyone but the king will assume it was the white circle he picked.

((Strategy courtesy of Emily Rodda, Deltora Quest, City of the Rats))  
Riddle Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff