Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MorganOfCalafia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:11 pm
My favorite is
Wire weenies = Rapier fighters

Also...
Boffers = Youth combat but were not supposed to call it that any more (Though everyone still does) because Boffing is slang for sex  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:07 pm
MorganOfCalafia
My favorite is
Wire weenies = Rapier fighters

Also...
Boffers = Youth combat but were not supposed to call it that any more (Though everyone still does) because Boffing is slang for sex
I feel so much better now, I always thought our local stick-jock dominated group was the only one to call fencers "Wire-Weenies" whee  

kashi-ko

Divash

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:55 am
Quote:
erm... Dragon! Dragons are what we call cars up here.

Though I know it's a fairly common bit of slang, it irritates me. People in the Middle Ages did not travel and carry things in dragons, they carried them in WAGONS. Calling a car a dragon just isn't Period.

It's been over a decade since I attended my last SCA event. At the time, I called my car a wagon. Now I'm about to go to my first event this very weekend, and I think I'll be calling my car "the camels."  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:16 am
Yeah, around here dragons aren't cars. I come from the Middle Kingdom and our device is a dragon so when someone starts talking about dragons, it usually leads to kingdom songs because we are the Dragons.

Let's see, we use porta-castles for, you guessed it, porta-potties, and privy instead of bathroom.
We also use mudane for non SCA types but I've never heard anyone say it was offensive. Mundane is also used in reference to clothing, as in "I'm going to change into mundanes before teardown."
And around here, a pokey is a sword with a padded thrusting tip. Sword and Board is the basic heavy fighting style of sword and shield.
And plastic. That's a fun one. It has many silly names but one of my favorites is 'strange alchemical substance'.  

Runa Whynd

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:27 am
I've been hearing people referring to anything electronic as magic lately, which makes me giggle.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:38 pm
Runa Whynd
We also use mudane for non SCA types but I've never heard anyone say it was offensive. Mundane is also used in reference to clothing, as in "I'm going to change into mundanes before teardown."
It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who has never heard of it as offensive.
We refer to our non-SCA clothing as mundanes, too. Which really confuses me when I go from a batch or SCAdians to a bunch of goths, and they both use the term "mundanes" to mean "not us". (Not all goths do this) So I changed into my mundanes and yet am not dressing like a mundane? It can be confusing.  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

PhoenixFirecat

6,100 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:49 pm
The two bits of slang that bug me are "smalls" and "troll".

I can understand using "smalls" in reference to children in that they are small, but at the same time, smalls was medieval slang (from what I have understood) for undergarments. Is it really that hard for people to use the word "children" to refer to children in the SCA?

And troll...it's called "Gate" or "check-in", not troll. People on gate-duty are very nicely dressed, good-looking people, not hairy gray beasts that enjoy hiding under bridges.

I use "mundanes" also. It makes it easier than saying "I'm putting on street clothes".  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:41 am
PhoenixFirecat

And troll...it's called "Gate" or "check-in", not troll. People on gate-duty are very nicely dressed, good-looking people, not hairy gray beasts that enjoy hiding under bridges.

See, I always thought the use of Troll was cute. To me, troll refers to the position itself, not the person filling it. Here, we used to even have a big sign with a cute cartoonish troll painted on it and the sign saying "Troll" overhead gate. This was up for years, but apparently a couple people did have an issue with it, and we now use an ugly yellow "Gate" sign. We actually got a lot of people complaining about the switch to Gate this year.  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

PhoenixFirecat

6,100 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:48 am
LittleGreenGirl

See, I always thought the use of Troll was cute. To me, troll refers to the position itself, not the person filling it. Here, we used to even have a big sign with a cute cartoonish troll painted on it and the sign saying "Troll" overhead gate. This was up for years, but apparently a couple people did have an issue with it, and we now use an ugly yellow "Gate" sign. We actually got a lot of people complaining about the switch to Gate this year.

Okay, I can see that....I think my thing come from the fact that we have a couple people that grind the troll thing into the ground....and are the same people that refer to coffee as " brown water". We actually don't have a "Here is Gate" sign, we just look for a tent in the middle of the road.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:56 pm
PhoenixFirecat
I think my thing come from the fact that we have a couple people that grind the troll thing into the ground....and are the same people that refer to coffee as " brown water".

Uh... why? Coffee has been drunk by people since the mid-15th century. It's within Period, albeit the last 150 years of Period, especially for those of us whose personas hail from Africa and the Middle East. It's not as anciently widespread as tea (cultivated and drunk since the 10th century BCE), but it's certainly reasonable for someone, say a 7th century Norman, to be drinking "this drink that some brown-skinned person offered me," or something of that kind.  

Divash

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Out to the Black

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:20 am
PhoenixFirecat
The two bits of slang that bug me are "smalls" and "troll".

I can understand using "smalls" in reference to children in that they are small, but at the same time, smalls was medieval slang (from what I have understood) for undergarments. Is it really that hard for people to use the word "children" to refer to children in the SCA?

I use "mundanes" also. It makes it easier than saying "I'm putting on street clothes".
I've never heard smalls before. As to troll. I kind of like it. At our local event we usually have a nifty wooden cutout Troll by the road in front of the tent. His name is Bruce. And no one refers to the people inside the tent as trolls, just the post itself. As in "I have to go work Troll for a bit." or "They need me at Troll."  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:41 pm
I'm a rapier fighter and I call us wire-weenies by force of habit xD

Also, Divash alot of these are just jokes that show up alot in the S.C.A, not nessisarily (I can't freaking spell) period names for things  

MorganOfCalafia

Divash

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:46 am
MorganOfCalafia
Also, Divash alot of these are just jokes that show up alot in the S.C.A, not nessisarily (I can't freaking spell) period names for things

Believe me, I know they're not Period names for things. I'm just not sure why people need to make up a name for something that already has a perfect, Period name.

Though, it's not as bad as the one I heard of, bringing in actual CANS of soda-pop and referring to it as holy water. Ugh.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:05 pm
Divash
Uh... why? Coffee has been drunk by people since the mid-15th century. It's within Period, albeit the last 150 years of Period, especially for those of us whose personas hail from Africa and the Middle East. It's not as anciently widespread as tea (cultivated and drunk since the 10th century BCE), but it's certainly reasonable for someone, say a 7th century Norman, to be drinking "this drink that some brown-skinned person offered me," or something of that kind.

Um Divash? This is a very off-topic question would you happen to be from the shire of Kings Crossing?  

kashi-ko

MorganOfCalafia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:58 pm
Divash
MorganOfCalafia

Believe me, I know they're not Period names for things. I'm just not sure why people need to make up a name for something that already has a perfect, Period name.

Though, it's not as bad as the one I heard of, bringing in actual CANS of soda-pop and referring to it as holy water. Ugh.

rofl I like that one  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces