Submit

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:59 pm
What did you think of the mediaeval headgear? I think that's a McCall's pattern, where (the one I really like) is a buckram frame, covered in velvet, and made into a grown.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:00 pm
Grown should so equal crown. I blame it on being sick, yo.  

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Imzy
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:39 pm
WitchyChick
I got into the whole SCA-thing just as we began to pack for moving, so I haven't gotten to try my hand at sewing any garb yet. I have, however, been doing TONS of research on different garb I want to make, and having a mother and two aunts who are amazing seamstresses helps matters out as well.

In the meantime, while I wait for the move, I've been doing cross-stitching. I'm actually quite good at it; it's been a hobby of mine for a long time. I'm trying to find some medieval patterns, but with no avail as of yet. If anyone could give me a hand it would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think, *technically*, that cross-stitch is period. But when has that ever stopped a SCAdian from doing what they wanna do? wink When I was my group's chatelaine the kingdom chatelaine sent me a business card pouch to hang from my belt that had a cross-stitched Chatelaine's badge on it. It was really neat.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:39 pm
Imzy
WitchyChick
I got into the whole SCA-thing just as we began to pack for moving, so I haven't gotten to try my hand at sewing any garb yet. I have, however, been doing TONS of research on different garb I want to make, and having a mother and two aunts who are amazing seamstresses helps matters out as well.

In the meantime, while I wait for the move, I've been doing cross-stitching. I'm actually quite good at it; it's been a hobby of mine for a long time. I'm trying to find some medieval patterns, but with no avail as of yet. If anyone could give me a hand it would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think, *technically*, that cross-stitch is period. But when has that ever stopped a SCAdian from doing what they wanna do? wink When I was my group's chatelaine the kingdom chatelaine sent me a business card pouch to hang from my belt that had a cross-stitched Chatelaine's badge on it. It was really neat.

actually, cross-stitch is quite period. i've done a little research, because i love to do it myself, and nobody seems to know exactly when it came about... but it's definately before 1600. yay! go cross-stitch!! mrgreen mrgreen  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

Imzy
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:27 am
littlegreengirl
Imzy
WitchyChick

actually, cross-stitch is quite period. i've done a little research, because i love to do it myself, and nobody seems to know exactly when it came about... but it's definately before 1600. yay! go cross-stitch!! mrgreen mrgreen

Huh. Cool. I stand corrected. smile  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:45 am
Imzy
littlegreengirl
Imzy
WitchyChick

Huh. Cool. I stand corrected. smile

Yeah, I had thought it was period. Atleast blackwork is.  

WitchyChick

Imzy
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:58 am
WitchyChick

isn't blackwork more like embroidery than cross-stitch, though? I could totally be wrong... I'm not really much of a hand-sewer.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:11 am
Currently working on a McCall's (P239, out of print).

It is actually a 2 piece top and bottom deal, but I've decided it needs to be a chemise and an over dress. The over dress will be reversible (in a honey jaquard and dark spruce green and the chemise is a chardonay color).
I had to come up with a different way to gather the skirt, but I remembered we had upholstry thread.

Tip for gathering: Ususally you can just put two lines of stitching in by machine and gather that way. However if you have heavy fabric, it might not like that idea. What I did was put in one line of stitching by machine, then use upholstry thread to put in my stitching by hand. And I've found it easier not to gather at the seams, but to use it as a break in my gathers.
Also very handy if the thread should break. Then you only lose the gathers between the seams and not the whole thing (which would make your cry if it happens to be a 5 yard piece your gathering).  

Annalise Morwen

Annalise Morwen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:13 am
Imzy
WitchyChick

isn't blackwork more like embroidery than cross-stitch, though? I could totally be wrong... I'm not really much of a hand-sewer.

Blackwork is embroidery. And you can pretty much do any kind of stitching you want. Most people are just impressed that you took the time. I do know that some fabric stores have books of embroidery stitches that you can see and pattern your design after/for/with.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:41 am
So I just got this e-mail from one of my seamstress friends. She has recently decided that she loves making bodices (she's crazy btw) and is hell bent on using metal bones in everything, but she will use the plastic for certain places in order to be bendy. BUT she has figured out how to keep her bones from rusting. There is some liquid plastic stuff you can buy to coat the handles of tools which she used and works well on the bones.
However it hasn't been heat tested, so I would try it out with something else first.

Annalise Morwen

Arithrel
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:00 am
Annalise Morwen
So I just got this e-mail from one of my seamstress friends. She has recently decided that she loves making bodices (she's crazy btw) and is hell bent on using metal bones in everything, but she will use the plastic for certain places in order to be bendy. BUT she has figured out how to keep her bones from rusting. There is some liquid plastic stuff you can buy to coat the handles of tools which she used and works well on the bones.
However it hasn't been heat tested, so I would try it out with something else first.

My mom uses that stuff on the boning for my corset and my bodices for my rapier garb. It works brilliantly and she has no problems throwing it in the washing machine. smile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Arithrel
Annalise Morwen

My mom uses that stuff on the boning for my corset and my bodices for my rapier garb. It works brilliantly and she has no problems throwing it in the washing machine. smile
ooooooh, that sounds sweet. i think i'll try that once i get the chance to work on another corset... (my sewing machine is in another city... wahhh!! crying )  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:28 pm
Garage sales are a great place to pick up fabric.

I picked up ten yards of 60" white cotton for fifty cents.

Talk aboust a practical steal, there.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:57 am
Dragostae

also craft supply warehouse clearance sales... it also helps if you have an employee discount at said craft supply warehouse... teehee! i love Herrshner's...

but yeah, that's an awesome steal... liners and chemises galore!  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:18 pm
littlegreengirl
Dragostae

also craft supply warehouse clearance sales... it also helps if you have an employee discount at said craft supply warehouse... teehee! i love Herrshner's...

but yeah, that's an awesome steal... liners and chemises galore!

Actually, since my persona's Byzantinian, I can get away with straight cotton clothing. I could also go the silk route, but darnit, that stuff's EXPENSIVE.

Especially on a poor student budget.  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces