Welcome to Gaia! ::

+ The Official 'Got Goth?' Guild +

Back to Guilds

Tags: goth, subculture, alternative 

Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Are ALL goths depressed? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 15 16 17 18 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ketchakik

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:47 pm
i dunno i've always associated goths with finding beauty in stuff others find depressing or macabre...so i'd say goths aren't depressed  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:29 pm
Demon princess of Love
I have a question. In your opinion, why do people often mix up goths and emos. There are certainely distinct differences, so what, if any, are the similarities? Or do people only get confused because there are emo's masquerading as goths?

its the fact that they kinda look the same to other people and/or the people know nothing and just assume that they are the same.  

Exodus2

Owen_Deathstalker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:53 pm
No
O.o

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:20 am
Chaos A.D.
dumb question..no they're not, we're gothic not emo....

I think there's a certain misunderstanding about what depression is, here.

Being Emo does not automatically mean you're depressed. Even if you show every negative Emo stereotype there is (whinging, writing bad poetry, claiming that you're totally miserable), it's not necessarily a sign of depression.

Most depressed people do not advertise the fact. They are ashamed of their condition and go to great lengths to hide it. If they 'cut' or otherwise damage themselves, they will put the scars in places that can be easily hidden. If they feel miserable, they will not talk about it except to their closest friends; the last thing they want is to cause a scene, because they don't feel they deserve any sympathy.

While not all goths are depressed, some most definitely are. You'll find the same percent of depressed people in practially every subculture. It's a physical disability and doesn't affect personal taste that much. Hell, I've known some seriously depressed scenesters and preppies in my time.

Personally? I am a depressed goth. I'm not ashamed to admit it, because long years of treatment have taught me that this problem is not willfull attention seeking and is not morally reprehensible. But you couldn't tell I have it if you met me. It's possible to be an optimistic person even if you have depression, because when the desease is not attacking you, you're as lucid and 'normal' as anyone else.  

Veruniel
Crew

Lady Detarra

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:45 am
I'm a freakishly hyper/happy person really haha xp  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:45 am
Darkness Is My Life's Blood

Nope.

Light Is My Deaths Curse

Dante Omura

Kaydienne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:59 am
The problem with society is its need to unecissarly label everything. People get filtered out into diffrent "sterotypes" and emo's generally get thrown in with goths even though its not necissarly what they are.

I myself went through 4 years of severe manic depression but that had absolutly nothing to do with me being a "goth" it had to do with a very difficult period of my life which I did not deal with at the time.

Now yes im still a goth but im not emo in the slightest since of the word, actually to my regret im almost on the completly other end of that scale.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:04 am
I have my boughts of depression just like anybody else and those that deny it may very well have the worst cases.  

grotesquekreeple

Dr. H Quinzel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:17 am
People say that emo is a cast off of Goth. Personally, I see no resemblance what so ever. When I was a small child...ick... I got the impression that goth was more.."This sucks, I hate you all.." attitude, and emo was "I suck, I hate myself.." -whinecomplain- attitude.
But then again, the human race was built with emotions.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:59 pm
I'd have to go with no.

I have a chemical imbalance problem so my issue has nothing to do with ''boo hoo i hate this world i just want to die no one cares about me''  

SaiBlackNight

.+Melanthios+.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:12 pm
Veruniel
Chaos A.D.
dumb question..no they're not, we're gothic not emo....

I think there's a certain misunderstanding about what depression is, here.

Being Emo does not automatically mean you're depressed. Even if you show every negative Emo stereotype there is (whinging, writing bad poetry, claiming that you're totally miserable), it's not necessarily a sign of depression.

Most depressed people do not advertise the fact. They are ashamed of their condition and go to great lengths to hide it. If they 'cut' or otherwise damage themselves, they will put the scars in places that can be easily hidden. If they feel miserable, they will not talk about it except to their closest friends; the last thing they want is to cause a scene, because they don't feel they deserve any sympathy.

While not all goths are depressed, some most definitely are. You'll find the same percent of depressed people in practially every subculture. It's a physical disability and doesn't affect personal taste that much. Hell, I've known some seriously depressed scenesters and preppies in my time.

Personally? I am a depressed goth. I'm not ashamed to admit it, because long years of treatment have taught me that this problem is not willfull attention seeking and is not morally reprehensible. But you couldn't tell I have it if you met me. It's possible to be an optimistic person even if you have depression, because when the desease is not attacking you, you're as lucid and 'normal' as anyone else.

I think out of everyone in this thread, you correctly answered the question.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:33 pm
I would have to quote Veruniel for my response to this topic:

Veruniel

Though I never gave myself a definite label as goth, I do associate well with the ideals and find comfort in a lot of the beliefs and such that relate to modern gothic subculture.

I'd say that I am depressed in the manner that Veruniel states in "It's possible to be an optimistic person even if you have depression", in that when I'm happy it's because something knocked me out of my depressive thoughts and made me forget that I was ever sad; however, when I am not happy, I switch often between angered, sad, and apathetic.

I'm not here to give a full emotional analysis of myself, since, should I do that, I would feel as if I sold myself out in the worst way that does not involve exchange of money.

Thank you for listening to the windbag that is... Isel.

-Isel-

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:53 pm
MortSanglant
GilAskan
Goths are rarely depressed, actually. Studies show that goths tend to be pretty happy compared to most people, in fact.

Would you attribute that to the level of understanding that goths work to bring themselves to? Therefore allowing a better acceptance of what occurs around them?

I do believe that is a major factor in it, yes. Though, I should make the distinction that it's not so much complacency like a cow accepting it's trip to the slaughterhouse, but an understanding in the functions of the world like an intricate clock and how one thing wll lead to another.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:55 pm
no, but there are some, just like every other group of people, you have your peppy-happies, your sometimes-creepies, and your criey-mopies  

celtic_faerie

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:15 pm
The idea that all goths are 'depressed and angsty' is just a sterotype.

We all have our bad days, and some goths, just like some people in any other subculture, do have depression. However, not all of us are depressed. I certainly am not. 3nodding

Sterotypes are very often false... Not all preps are stupid. Not all vegetarians are PETA-freaks. Not all Christians are crazed Bible-thumping homophobes. They're just STEROTYPES!  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 ... 15 16 17 18 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff