Online Relationships? o.O Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AntoniaMerEnfant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:44 pm
Pirate Dirge- Well said. Very valid points. smile

Raien- There are predators out there. But I agree with you. I had one guy friend I tried to go out with, he got rough and tried to do things with me I wasn't comfortable with. It was a shame, because I just wanted to have an intellectual conversation. It makes me cringe that people think the only thing to a relationship is physical. I adore kissing, hugging, etc... but I'm greedy, I want more. I can't imagine being involved with someone who didn't make me laugh, make me think, etc.

Lightsenshi- You make me laugh rofl I think I'll be ok ::sniffles:: cry  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:28 pm
There are a lot of interesting points made here. I have known some that have worked and others that did not... I also had a friend that used a "model" pic instead of her own. She is a big girl and would send a pic of a size 6 model... She lied about who she was all they way around, then when they would want to meet, she would have to come clean. But I personally think it depends on the people involved. And that everyone should be careful. heart  

SydneySkye
Crew

lightsenshi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:39 am
AntoniaMerEnfant
Lightsenshi- You make me laugh rofl I think I'll be ok ::sniffles:: cry

That's good. *smiles then kisses on the forehead before turning off the light* (no pun intended)  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:41 am
Oh_Oh_Adamae
He was in Vermont, I live in West Virginia...

dfjjkfjkfkjfkj i'm from vermont! xD it's really rare to find anyone from vermont online, or even just someone who knows someone from vermont, since it's such a tiny state. what part of vermont is your boyfriend from? i'm in northern VT, in chittenden county.  

willow-chan

willow-chan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:03 am
i met my boyfriend of nearly 7 years online. he lives in southern US, i live in northeastern US, and we met in person just 5 months ago. (the timing was finally right, as in we both had time off and the money to do it.) many people probably think i'm crazy for waiting that long for someone, but i love him, so they can just keep their opinions to themselves.

i certainly wouldn't go looking around gaia for a boyfriend or girlfriend, but internet relationships can be successful under the right circumstances. you really shouldn't be looking for a significant other online -- it should just happen. develop a strong friendship with someone first before even thinking about getting romantic. to be in a long-distance relationship, you should be a mature adult, be earning money, and should be able to see yourselves realistically being able to move to be closer to each other somewhere down the road. it can't stay online forever -- it has to be going somewhere. also, webcam sessions and frequent phone calls are so so so essential.

for any long-distance relationship to thrive, it needs honesty, communication, patience, and determination. you have to really be committed to each other, which my boyfriend and i are. we plan to marry eventually, and in the meantime we're still going very strong.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:57 pm
I met my man online, in an AOL anime chatroom no less, and our eighth anniversary is coming up next month. Besides my own case, I have at least three married friends who met their husbands online. So I have ample personal proof that online relationships can work. xd

Of course, I have ample proof that they sometimes they don't, as well. I have tons of friends who fell out of relationships with people they met online. My father met one of his girlfriends online, she moved out to live with thim, but it only lasted a few months after that... but then, my father wasn't real great with relationships before his current one.

So, yes, like everything else, your mileage may vary. wink I just think it's a far better way to start a relationship than, say, meeting someone in a loud, smokey bar or club.  

Seeress

Doressa
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:42 pm
It's nice to hear stories of it working out, I guess when it comes down to it, a relationship is a relationship and sometimes they work, sometimes they don't...  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:06 am
Well I can vouch for both ways here I suppose. Love is love and I firmly beleive you can love more than one person.It might not be the same type of love but it is still love.
Anyway you can judge or not I don't care I just know what I feel.

I met my real life husband when we both were in the Air Force at the beginning of the seventies. He is a wonderful sweet thoughtful and loving man, who cares for me a much as I care for him. I love him very much and I ahve to admit he spoils me rotten.
We have raised two boys to adulthood and have one grandson.
Being content and comfortable together, we have very few fights or arguments. we each allow the other thier own space but at the same time we both trust one another. Our personalities complement and work well together. We just celebrated our 35th anniversary.

As for Online relationships- I met someone here on Gaia a bit over a year ago, my Vashie.
He is a 20 year old college student that lives over 400 miles away. I started rping in his Trigun thread. Where he played Vash the Stampede, there was already a Meryl and a Wolfwood. I started in the rp playing as Milly.
After a couple of weeks the person playing Meryl quit leaving Vash literally hanging. I offered to proxy the character until someone else wanted it. Vash jumped at it and I started playing both Meryl and Milly.
Very soon a bond between us began to manifest itself. There were many many instances where we actually sent the same message to each other at the same moment in our posts. It was then that we realized that we KNEW what the other was actually thinking and feeling.
So we started talking in IM, which evolved into what I can only discribe as rp conversations. We grew closer and closer via our IMs and there is definitely something linking us on a very deep level. And since we
both beleive in reincarnation and are extremely empathic. We truely believe that we are part of one and other spiritually and have been together in past lives. Fate brought us back together again even if it is only online.
He is my Vashie and I am his Meryl.
On January third, Vash and Meryl were married in our Trigun rp, right after our twins were born.

End of story I love both my husbands each in thier own unique way.  

Saiyana2

4,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Team Edward 100

PepsiCola22

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:12 am
No , I've never been really crazy about someone, of course, I sorta liked this one guy until I found out he was 16 years old. And then I was just like, nevermind. It can happen, but I think it's rare when it does happen. I used to attend weddings on Sims Online and it was fun, almost felt like a real Wedding. And people were really expressing ther emotions like in the real world. Some of the people that were married online, were couples in real life, who just hung out with each other online alot. IE, someone lives in a home and the other person lives in a differant home, they bolth have the same game, so they choose to live with each other on the Sims Online. And get married on the sims, to express that they are married, the ones who don't know each other, don't stick around very often. It's just for attention. But I could be wrong. That's just my opinion. I've seen it on Neopets too, never seen a wedding here in Gaia yet, someone did ask me to marry them and I was like, no way, I deleted the message and didn't say anything, it was really strange, she was young girl and she wrote in pink text and I hardly knew her, but I'd never marry a girl, I'm not gay, and I don't marry anyone online anyways. (cuagh) she hasn't spoke to me since then. I don't know if that was a good thing or bad thing that she's not talking to me, so I just deleted her off my list and said nothing back.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:22 am
I have nothing againest online dating. I mean I have had a few online relationships. They may not have lasted but I am still friends with them.  

Temarii_Uzumaki

lightsenshi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:01 am
Online relationships don't bother me. But then again, I've never had one go serious on me either.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:17 pm
Well, I guess they could work. If you're honest than you can get to know someone without the same boundaries as class or appearence. I haven't had much luck with the long distance thing (I knew each and every one, I just happen to be in the Navy). Who knows, its hit or miss I guess, which is exactly how it goes in the real world. It just depends on your approach. If you're better at getting to know someone verbally, maybe its a better option. I've dated all sorts, so I can't see why an online meeting would be a downfall. Only problem is liers and perverts, oh wait, get that as well on this side.

Todeskaefer, no offence, but we're not all just trying to get laid. I want a real relationship. This coming from a sailor is pretty profound I believe. Scarier, is that I'm not the only one.

AntoniaMerEnfant, romance is not dead, nor is chivalry. Don't give up.
PirateDirge, lieing in person can be just as easy for some, if you wanna hear it, I'll tell you the Rachel story.

Sincerly,
Raymond "Archangel Lionheart"  

Archangel Lionheart

AntoniaMerEnfant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:43 pm
Archangel Lionheart
ieing in person can be just as easy for some

So very true. Sadly. How do we ever know?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:06 am
AntoniaMerEnfant
Archangel Lionheart
ieing in person can be just as easy for some

So very true. Sadly. How do we ever know?

Well I didn't find out for my first year in the Navy. I knew my high school sweetheart so well too...  

Archangel Lionheart

Pirate Dirge

Hygge Agenda

44,725 Points
  • My Feminist Agenda 500
  • Cozy Life 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:21 am
Archangel Lionheart

PirateDirge, lieing in person can be just as easy for some, if you wanna hear it, I'll tell you the Rachel story.

sad I never said it wasn't, hon, I just think it's easier to pull off when you don't have to see each other. Sorry to hear things didn't go well for you.  
21+

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff