Judging others based on age Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

sara-ane

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:48 pm
I'm at that interesting age where in the business world you need to be 30+ (I'm 25 and my first secretary job was when I was 22)
And in the real world you see all these tiny teeny boppers floating around with 16 inch waist and high... giggly... utterly annoying voices and feel like whistlers mother. sweatdrop
As a teacher of children myself, I try not to judge based on age. However, whenever I see L33t speak (don't get me wrong, Megatoyko rocks...) I have to wonder if they have been potty trained yet.
It doesn't help that due to stress I starting going grey when I was 18 and still in highschool. I dye it red though so it's cool.

BTW... if you ever want to hear a true horror story... PM me. I'm writing a book about it now...
Thanks to it all, I'm about 1/4 grey at 25. sweatdrop
shoot me now.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:57 pm
yes I have. My fiance is 2 years older then me and her mother still has a problem with me going out with her cause of my age.  

Fieldartman

Seeress

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:35 pm
She has a problem with someone only two years younger than her? O.o That's a little extreme. My man's 6 years older than me, which doesn't matter much now, but we got a lot of suspicious looks when I was 19.

But then, people often think I'm younger than I am. Probably because of my wardrobe choices of t-shirts and jeans, no make-up, and however I managed to wrangle my hair for the day. Although it sometimes makes my life easier, since people can't tell at a glance that I've been an undergrad for more years than it would take a motivated person to get a doctorate. And people don't know I'm the oldest person in a classroom (barring possibly the proffessor) if I don't tell them. wink  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:36 pm
Heheheh I can beat all of you... my husband is 10 years younger... somedays mature and somedays not so.... I love him dearly. He is actually very mature. And I love the looks we get when we tell people that I am the older one, not he. He whips out his license to prove it. I generally do not think of age, my motto..... Age is mind over matter, if you don't mind it don't matter. I judge by how people act. If I want to talk to a 3 year old I will call a friend and borrow her son for the day.  

SydneySkye
Crew

[ b r i. l a l a ]

Anxious Fairy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:30 am
I get judged on Gaia all the time. I'm 22 and I'm a mother. I had one girl who I thought was my friend on here, say that I'm selfish for bearing my own child, and not adopting one. She talks with big words and is rather literate, so I thought she was older. But she's only 14! I couldn't believe how she was speaking to me.

Its kind of funny but its also kind of sad, when I have to leave a thread and mention having to do something with my daughter. People are like, "Oh em gee, how old are you? You have a baby?! You're old!" And then they stop talking to me. Or they talk less. I'm 22, I'm not 50, and I'm not almost dead. Other than being a wife and mother, I hardly think of myself as being a real adult.

And my husband is younger than me as well, only by 7 months but he sure loves to rub it in. He turned 22 this year and I'll be 23. And our daughter will be 1. The good thing is that there is a guild for mothers on here. If you want to know about it, PM me.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:52 pm
Haha, just today a 12 (?) year old came into the 21+ room while I was playing fishing, and some conversation ensued, and eventually he was repremanding me for not having any babies at the young age 26. I of course found this hilarious. xD He said I must be "one of those girls who likes to party until she's 45."

Uh.. thanks but no thanks, kiddo. xD  

NessaChan
Crew

Sparkly Nerd

8,100 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Conventioneer 300

Tillisnut

Aged Survivor

23,275 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Voter 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:25 am
I have fun checking out towns at my age. Some think I'm pretty old when when I finally tell my real age because I'm just being honest. It's my way. I've met many nice people that don't make a big deal of it either. I'm an explorer and that's why I still go over there. This is a good guild for me. Sometimes it helps to have a more mature group. I tend to judge by actions, more than anything else. I'm actually 33 and single and it's fine with me. I feel young and am doing well for myself, so I don't complain much about my age. I look younger than I am anyways. smile

biggrin  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:14 am
I never judge people on their age, because from my personal experience some of the coolest people I know are between 25 and 50. And I mean they are much funnier than most of my peers. I've seen kids like 13-year-olds that are mature than me (and I consider myself mature) so age is not a big deal.

Personal experience is what matters.

I'm 19, but sometimes I act like a 5-year-old, sometimes like a 25! But if you ask me I've always been the same and I'll always be the same.

*is planning to be a granny who would play football with her grantchildren*  

[MalaKai]

[.Mystery.Woman.]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:50 pm
4laugh well I guess I'm ancient and proud of it biggrin I love playing both neo and gaia with my teen,adult children and 16 grandbabies razz age 63 and my family tell me that I'm really a young one at heart cheese_whine so please judge me if you wish, for it really doesn't matter. Age is really only a number razz  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:05 am
Hello I'm glad you here [. Mystery woman.] I'm another grandma at 54 almost 55, and have been happily married in rl to the same man for 35 years.
I was convinced to jpin Gaia by some of my younger online freinds. No one's age bothers me although it bugs me when some of the older members get all mean and nasty to younger ones which I have seen more than once.
OtherwiseI love playing here on Gaia even though I've had a couple of younger Gaian's freak out and others accusing me of lying about my age. rofl Why in the heck would I lie it that direction!
One even said I got my photo in my profile with from an online cut and paste. xd
Then there was the little girl who accused me of stalking her, when she was to one who first contacted me. I met her in slots, she was looking for friends to add to her list so I said okay, then the next time I talked to her, she Pm'ed me telling me her real name and hometown. When I tried to warn her that it was very dangerous thing to do because she really didn't know who she was talking to, she asked me why I said stuff like that and I told her I was a grandmother.
She panicked and said she was going to report me. I told her that there was not a rule about age on Gaia and I had done nothing wrong then she actually went nd posted in my profile asking if my freinds if they knew how old I was.

But the best part about Gaia are all my freinds here and the fact that I would never have found my Vashie. He is the most wonderful person I know here and my Gaian hubby, and even if he is only 20 he doesn't care at all about my age.  

Saiyana2

4,550 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Team Edward 100

PepsiCola22

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:24 am
I have cousins, who judge me, all the time based on age , what people do at that point in their life. I think it's differant for everyone, and people are always gonna learn something new, just how life is, and people shouldn't be judging us becuase of our age. It hurts me when someone says my god, you couldn't do this so called task, they asked me to do, and part of it was there miss communication as well, and she was saying how even her duaghter could do those things. I have been neglected most of my life, I don't mind doing stuff for someone when they ask, but don't gripe about it if it's not the way you want it to be, and don't judge me becuase I'm 23 and I'm not allowed to make my own decisions, becuase my Mom is a control freak, that also doesn't mean I'm not responsible. But yeah, I totally agree, judging age is so wrong. And it hurts, especially becuase we do try to be our own age, and it's like accusing us of not being our age when we are trying to be our age.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:28 am
Saiyana2
Hello I'm glad you here [. Mystery woman.] I'm another grandma at 54 almost 55, and have been happily married in rl to the same man for 35 years.
I was convinced to jpin Gaia by some of my younger online freinds. No one's age bothers me although it bugs me when some of the older members get all mean and nasty to younger ones which I have seen more than once.
OtherwiseI love playing here on Gaia even though I've had a couple of younger Gaian's freak out and others accusing me of lying about my age. rofl Why in the heck would I lie it that direction!
One even said I got my photo in my profile with from an online cut and paste. xd
Then there was the little girl who accused me of stalking her, when she was to one who first contacted me. I met her in slots, she was looking for friends to add to her list so I said okay, then the next time I talked to her, she Pm'ed me telling me her real name and hometown. When I tried to warn her that it was very dangerous thing to do because she really didn't know who she was talking to, she asked me why I said stuff like that and I told her I was a grandmother.
She panicked and said she was going to report me. I told her that there was not a rule about age on Gaia and I had done nothing wrong then she actually went nd posted in my profile asking if my freinds if they knew how old I was.

But the best part about Gaia are all my freinds here and the fact that I would never have found my Vashie. He is the most wonderful person I know here and my Gaian hubby, and even if he is only 20 he doesn't care at all about my age.

Oh I hate when that happends. I hate that, p eople would judge just becuase you don't spell right, they say, your not 23 years old. I'd be like "yes Iam."  

PepsiCola22

ActingSpirit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:19 pm
I try not to judge based on age, but the truth is I do it all the time. I'm a moderator of a website called PonyIsland- it was created for adult collectors of My Little Ponies- but we have litterally thousands of children who now play, Its so easy to lump them all together and just rant about them, even though some of them are really quite mature and some of the older players are quite immature.

But even in real life I do it. I'm a 24 year old Super Senior in college (meaning this is my 7th year. . . yea yea yea I'm actually graduating finally). These 18 year old freshman are . . .well they're teenagers and they are fresh out of high school and its hard to not judge them based on that because so often, even when I do take the time to get to know them individually they end up perpetuating the steriotypes.

But I try to keep my judgements internal and not let it effect how I treat people. Considering how many "Freshman buddies" I have at school I think its working. Even though I consider most of the freshmen very immature- they are all wonderful adults just waiting to happen!  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:15 am
Dafthank
I have both been judged and the one judging.

I'm A high school teacher, but I'm only 23. Not only that, but I look like I'm 17 and sound like I'm 14. I catch a lot of flack for that from my students and my fellow teachers as well. One instance I remember clearly was picture day when the photographer asked me what grade I was in. Along with that, the next youngest teacher in the entire school is 32, so there are a lot of teachers that look down on me for my "new-school" methods of teaching. I get criticized a lot, but I get better results than they do, so it works out.

As for myself being the one judging, well, I am a high school teacher, so unfortunately I sometimes see and hear the things that my students do and think that it's commonplace for someone of that age to be acting in such a manner. Granted I know not all high school kids act the same, and I feel bad knowing that I sometimes excuse theri behavior because of it, but that's something that I am working on.

Ouch, I was student teaching a little, but my junior year a sub and I were BSing at lunch and he thought I was one of the regular teachers. I've always looked older so the other side can be just as bad.  

Archangel Lionheart

21+

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces