Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:05 pm
Imzy
[Atropa Belladonna]
Spandex is a no-no for everyone. I know it may seem odd, but I've seen people make garb out of spandex or high-spandex mixes. They're really hard to work with and hot to wear. Polyester's easy to work with but really unpleasent for outdoor events--and how many indoor events do you go to? Check bolts for words like "flammable" if you're the cozy-up-near-a-fire type. I like jacquard, linins, and silks. A lof of upholstry or home-dec fabrics are excellent for garb, especially court garb and later-period offerings. Make sure if you use home-dec fabric it doesn't have a weather sealant on it (the back will be plastic or feel waxy). If it does, it'll 100% prevent the garment from breathing, and make it really nasty when you sweat (and you will).

Never underestimate the usefulness of 100% cotton. It's a bit too stiff for some garments, but it's great for most basic items.

Edit:

Also amazingly useful are thrift stores. Sheets and curtains can be bought very cheaply to make, for example, a $3 egyptian cotton chemise (which can be bought for upwards of $40).

Hee. I have to agree there. I have a lovely red cotton velvet Italian Ren gown.... made from a bedspread my mom pickedup at a thrift store for a dollar. =)

And don't forget garage sales. I picked up easily over six yards of white cotton (in other words, great chemise fabric) for a buck.

It's even sixty inch, too.

Can you say toga? razz  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:22 am
*chanting* TOGA, TOGA!

But seriously, for a simple t-tunic, 4-corner fold the fabric, and cut a straight sleeve, widely flared armpit, and a moderately flared body. depending on the length, it is good for a guy or a lady, and if the fabric is narrow, add cuffs of contrasting color, same farbic, and if you want to get slightly fancy, add a neck-facing of the second color, and maybe some narrow trim. If the colors are picked well, it can look remarkably good. Another option: contrasting hem.  

Hyratel Dragon

KonstantinJ

1,250 Points
  • Piepitcher 100
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Heckler 50
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:38 am
Bigfoot TI
*chanting* TOGA, TOGA!

But seriously, for a simple t-tunic, 4-corner fold the fabric, and cut a straight sleeve, widely flared armpit, and a moderately flared body. depending on the length, it is good for a guy or a lady, and if the fabric is narrow, add cuffs of contrasting color, same farbic, and if you want to get slightly fancy, add a neck-facing of the second color, and maybe some narrow trim. If the colors are picked well, it can look remarkably good. Another option: contrasting hem.

a lady made some tunics like that with the contrasting hems and collar...it looked really good. the fabric of the tunic was a light blue and the hems and collar was a dark blue...very tasteful  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:10 pm
Bigfoot TI
*chanting* TOGA, TOGA!

Agreed.

Trim is a beautiful touch, and dresses up any fabric.  

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Felix OFlyn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:39 am
Um... I just whent to walmart and bout some cheap crap ^.^  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:46 pm
Rial k**e

Hey, we all gotta start somewhere. Don't feel bad. smile I buy most of my fabric there.  

Imzy
Crew

Arithrel
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:21 pm
IKEA is a great place for fairly cheap linen. smile You can't always find it in colours that could even remotely be considered period, but I have a lovely periwinkle norse underdress made from IKEA linen. Sooo comfy smile

Most of my gowns are cotton. Hooray for wash-n-wear! I also have a couple that are linen and/or wool. I also have one that is made of silk-it was also my prom dress. Sadly I don't get to wear it much...definetly an indoor events only dress.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:50 am
Imzy
Rial k**e

Hey, we all gotta start somewhere. Don't feel bad. smile I buy most of my fabric there.

Its cheap and it works ^.^  

Felix OFlyn

[Atropa Belladonna]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:03 am
Dammask
No prints! Heavens forbid! Also, as mentioned beforem nothing synthetic. Also, try to hide things like zippers, or ... dare I say it? ... velcro! try to use buttons or lacing ... also, many garments were made of pioeced material - they simply didn't have yards and yards of fabric 60 inches wide ... not unless they were exceptionally wealthy.

Just my two cents. Hope it helps. Good luck.
No prints? That's madness! It's finiding period patterned fabric that's important. Strawberry Shortcake printed quilter's cotton? Bad choice. Cool flowery brocade? Heaven-sent.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:05 am
Rial k**e
Try sheets and curtains at secondhand stores. You'd be suprised at what you can find. I have some friends who make full-length egyptian cotton chemises at $1 a piece for materials.  

[Atropa Belladonna]

Felix OFlyn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:51 am
[Atropa Belladonna]
Rial k**e
Try sheets and curtains at secondhand stores. You'd be suprised at what you can find. I have some friends who make full-length egyptian cotton chemises at $1 a piece for materials.

I have freinds who travle a lot who have done simmilar things. But I'm to poor to travle alot and there aren't any secnd hand stores here.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:08 am
Rial k**e
[Atropa Belladonna]
Rial k**e

I have freinds who travle a lot who have done simmilar things. But I'm to poor to travle alot and there aren't any secnd hand stores here.
There are places without the Salvation Army? Where do you live?  

[Atropa Belladonna]

Felix OFlyn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:11 am
[Atropa Belladonna]
Rial k**e
[Atropa Belladonna]
Rial k**e

There are places without the Salvation Army? Where do you live?

I samll town in wasington about 20 miles from Canada  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces