Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Restart Check: Warm Springs Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:55 am
I'm currently playing a Zealot Centaur Barbarian in the game my wife runs on Roll20 and he's a lot of fun. He basically acts as the tank for the group while dealing a ton of damage.

For Takara I'm leaning towards Kensei as I'm thinking of saving the brute fighter subclass for a different character (cough cough Lilith cough)

As for Mystic I've always been really interested in that class and have been waiting for its official release in a book but it has been forever. The customization available is amazing and I like the Psi point system way more then spells per day. The Swifting (bat) shifter I'm making focus's on shooting mind bullets while the Lamia is all about enhancing her natural attacks and healing. Now I just need to find the time to work on the sheets T.T  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 7:56 am
SunnyTasha
Hi, I'm completely new to the guild.
I've been playing D&D 5e for years now.
I've played online games and at home games
never played on Gaia before
but as of recent I've been bored with this Stay at Home order
so I'm looking to try something I can do while I work from home
biggrin

Are you interested in joining this campaign? We can guide you through making a character sheet if so.  

Kowsauni
Crew

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 11:34 am
On the topic of Mystic; aside from a skit, Xp to level 3 did as a part of his "How to play a..." series. All I heard is that it is crazy powerful, borderline broke. But, I heard the same from Circle of the Moon Druids, Hexblade Warlocks, Paladins with Polearm Master and Sentinel(Don't tell, Revenge xp ), and a few other classes/feats.

Unlike in past editions; All I see, they wanted to bring every class into one. And due to it, I am only reminded of Fumbles from Goblins... oh, my bad... Senor Vorpal Kickass'o! xd

At the end of the day, I won't stop it if that is Kow's character wish.

Kowsauni

I am not familiar with the Bat Shifter, and my google-fu has failed me. What is it?

Pupsage

Theren Duskbane is accepted

SunnyTasha
As Vice Captian of the guild, Welcome. It is always a pleasure to see new avatars.

As a word of warning, we tend to post slowly. A post once or twice a day, from one or two players, is common. It tends to the games being more role-based or story-based than impulse-driven, like a tabletop or similarly ran online games version of the game. A good active example of this is Kow's 4e Glimmer's in the Dark. We started Act 3 in Oct. 2018 and have only covered 50 pages since then.

If you aren't bothered by this and are still interested. By all means, ask questions and create, all of the active members are willing to help if it's needed.  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 1:48 pm
Shifters in 5e  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:11 pm
On a new notepad,

I have only 3 "official" homebrew rule both revolve around inspiration.
Quote:
Inspiration will be granted after a long rest or by playing to your Bond, Flaw, Personality traits, or Ideals if such an act would be detrimental to the character(At the DM's discretion). For example, Theren forced to choose, keep to his Bond, "Everything I do is for the common people" and take a suicide mission, something only he can do, that would ensure the common people's safety or his own life/happiness.

Inspiration can be spent used for a free action or gain an advantage on a roll.

Upon level up, the player may change One of the following Traits, Bond, Ideal, or Flaw. This solely allowed for flavor character development.

Other than that one, my other rules are more for the dm, not player's eyes...

And being we have experienced players, I am going to ask for your thoughts on possible homebrew rules ideas at you. If everyone agrees we could add them to the game. Asking them now, so you can adjust your character accordingly and we can be on the same page from the first post.

Rule 1: Intelligence Modifiers give bonus proficiencies. These proficiencies can be in bonus languages, tool proficiency, or skills. So, a character with 20 in Intelligence can have 5 bonus proficiencies. It won't work in reverse though, so 8 intelligence characters don't lose proficiency for being dumb.

Rule 2: Sprint, Spend your whole action to run at 5 times your movement speed. So, a human with a 30 feet speed can be clocked in at 150 feet for one round. But, all movement used this way provokes attacks of opportunity... Good for booking a bus ticket into combat, or away from it.

Rule 3: Level 1 Ability Score Improvement. Kind of says it all, Everyone gets a free Ability Score Improvement at level one. Free feat or +2 or 1/1 to ability scores. Yes, this would make you more powerful, but it would also allow me to throw slightly tougher creatures at ye.

Rule 4: Encumbrance, Variant to Carrying Capacity.
Ignore the Strength column of the Armor table.
If you carry weight in excess of 5 times your Strength score, you are encumbered, which means your speed drops by 10 feet.
If you carry weight in excess of 10 times your Strength score, up to your maximum carrying capacity, you are instead heavily encumbered, which means your speed drops by 20 feet and you have disadvantage on ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws that use Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution.  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:18 pm

Swifting isn't on that list, Swiftstride is and they are renamed version of 4e's Razorclaw shifters. Cat based, not Bat.

Thanks for the attempt, though.  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:51 pm
Southern Cross Nemesis

Swifting isn't on that list, Swiftstride is and they are renamed version of 4e's Razorclaw shifters. Cat based, not Bat.

I just figured that Kow was, as they usually tend to do, re flavoring the race.  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:04 pm
PupSage
Southern Cross Nemesis

I just figured that Kow was, as they usually tend to do, re flavoring the race.

Understood, but they normally say it is a re-flavoring when it is another's game.  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:41 pm
Uh, the movement one, why? What is broken, why try to fix it?

There is already overland rules, and already rules for double movement, and rogues/monks can even get triple movement. So giving everyone 5x movement really negates both of those class features.  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:21 pm
So in in 3.5 there were a few more types of Shifters that never made there way to 4th edition (much to my disappointment) Swiftwing was one of them, which was based off a bat. There were several others too such as Cliffwalk, Dreamsight, Longstride, Truedive, etc. They added in a few more of the shifter types in 5th ed but alas, not my favorite one. So I was going to do what I did with Enyo. Use a current race for the game mechanics but thematically imagine them different. For Enyo, who is a harpy, I just used the Aarakocra race. For this character, the Aarakocra race didn't work because they lack darkvison, something I consider essential for a bat person, so, instead I am using the feral tiefling race with the wings option. That gives her the flight she would have while eliminating the spell-casting abilities from the base race she wouldn't have. The only thing left over that doesn't make sense is the tiefling fire resistance which I was just going to ignore and not put on her character sheet.  

Kowsauni
Crew

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:49 pm
Here is where Swiftwing shifters come from.

Here is a quick sketch of Pomona, the Bat Shifter.

Here is a quick sketch of Triya, the lamia. The race I would be using for her is Centuar. I'm leaning towards making her a monk but am unsure what subclass I like best for her.  
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:16 am
Pup: By your statement; Artificer, Sorcerer, Wizard, E.Knight, and select Expeditious Retreat would also have access to the triple movement. While everyone else is stuck in the background, as the Artificer's cannon and Warlock blast away at the incoming orcs. Oh, the orcs also had their own means of extra movement. razz

As for E.Retreat, and classes/race with Dash as bonus. I would argue, it would serve the much the same function as it does now. Action, Twice movement.

Where those who use only sprint can only close the distance

Kow:
Just a bit of DM deal, I will give you a choice; Avariel Elf or Mystic.

You might like an Avariel elf more than Tiefling.

Normal elf stuff, but with the flight. (And they can only speak Auran, but that I won't mind handwaving for common if needed)

In other news, you gain bonus points(that mean nothing) because of Pomona kind of looks like Lexington from Gargoyles.  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:42 am
Well, the Mystic class is kind of core to my concept of a bat girl with mind powers so I would have to go with that. Are you saying you don't want me using the Feral Tiefling race?

Also, a picture of Pomona in flight. My wife had fun designing the clothes she would have to wear to allow wings like that but I haven't scanned those pictures in yet.  
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:22 am
Nah, it was a badly worded devil's bargain joke.

It sounded as if you weren't sold on the tiefling. And I knew they made the birdie elf. You can use either, or, with the mystic.  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

SunnyTasha

Friendly Fatcat

7,950 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:24 am
Kowsauni
SunnyTasha
Hi, I'm completely new to the guild.
I've been playing D&D 5e for years now.
I've played online games and at home games
never played on Gaia before
but as of recent I've been bored with this Stay at Home order
so I'm looking to try something I can do while I work from home
biggrin

Are you interested in joining this campaign? We can guide you through making a character sheet if so.

Yes, and I'll take all the help I can get. Thank you
Also, I'm not picky on what type of class I play.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff