Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [L5R 4e] Desert Winds
Original Desert Wind Archive Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:08 am
Once the hors d'oeuvres and drinks had been brought out, Daisuke happily partook of them. He had traveled a great distance to get here and it took quite a bit of food to fill a man of his size. Though he was far from drunk, having a few drinks in him helped him loosen up a bit. He would finally break the awkward silence between the other three in the room. "So I imagine we are all here for the same eventual goal, yes? To assist Utaku Ryoko in reclaiming her clan's honor. I wonder what this invitation here has to do with it?"  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:39 am
The intrepid Shiotome quirked a brow and flicked the remains of her skewer beside the serving platter. With a somewhat bored expression she glanced sidelong at the Utaku and crossed her arms. "You made it this far without knowing why you're here?" but after a moment's thought she could only lift an arm to wave dismissively, "No I suppose there would be no need to tell a male. Well, at least you're obedient."

She sighed and walked back over to one side of the room, taking another sip of the very strange-tasting milk and starting to feel an odd burn in her cheeks. "I was told the commander at the staging point would brief us on our mission. What the Magistrate wants, I've no idea."  

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:06 am
Finally Asura would stop eating and end his silence to comment, "Whatever it is I wish he'd hurry up."  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:58 pm
Daisuke would laugh off the woman's insulting response. "Forgive me then for sounding ignorant. I was only trying to make conversation. Take note. This obedient dog's tail wags for the clan, not for you." Daisuke would then continue to stuff his face with food and drink.

Though Daisuke's words were in jest, in his head he thought, "Great, she's one of those types. Her poor husband." Finding a woman with a superiority complex was not rare in the matriarchal society of his clan, but it made it no less unpleasant to deal with. His parents had often tried to pair him up with such women and he had taken great pains to end such engagements as quickly as possible. For him to be with a woman, they would have to respect each other on equal terms.

Daisuke would let out a quiet sigh in between bites. It seemed he might have trouble relating to these people. This mission was beginning to look more troublesome than he initially thought.  

Kowsauni
Crew

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:20 pm
"I'm glad most of you are enjoying yourselves." spoke a tall man with greyish black hair and piercing brown eyes. He was dressed in the typical kimono of an Ide merchant master, with a wakazaishi at his side. "The kumis is especially flavorful this season. I've seen the mare that provides it. She foaled recently."

"However, as much as I would like to banter on about food and drink, I feel it's best to get to the point. I am Ide James, A magistrate of the Unicorn Clan. You are all here because I've been assured of your competence and discretion. As you know, Utaku Shenmei committed Seppuku due to an alleged indiscretion with a Scorpion lord named Soshi Ran. On the surface, a typical pillow book drama, no?" the emissary gave a weak smile. "But that's only on the surface. Once one looks at the issue, several problems begin to emerge. For example, Utaku Shenmei was Soshi Ran's niece. While few would put any depravity past the Scorpions, would one believe Soshi Ran would alienate his most important ally in the region? Furthermore , there are inconsistencies with Utaku Shenmei's seppuku. None of her effects were delivered to her family and her death haiku is odd for one so acclimatized to the courts of Rokugan. I suspect she may have been murdered."

Ide James paused for a bit to let that information register with his guests. After a decent interval, the diplomat continued in a lower voice. "And finally, I've heard of strong rumors from Utaku Ryoko's court. Rumors of maho and forbidden gaijin magics. Unfortunately at this time, I do not have enough information to act on them. That is where you come in."

Ide James would clasp his hands behind the back and regard each of you in turn. "I need brave, discrete individuals willing to do what is needed to protect the Clan from such taint. If you are willing, then rest assured the whole of Rokugan will learn of your devotion to honor. If you are not...I have the authority to have you all transferred here to serve as a part of this village's garrison. This may seem harsh, but this is the only way to keep these topics from being heard by those who wish to harm our clan."

Ide James turned to head back into the living area of his house. "I understand you all will need time to discuss such matters. Especially Utaku-san with her husband. It would please me to invite you to dinner tonight, and I would most certainly look forward to all of your answers to my proposal." With that, he would leave the group to their devices.

Rain Yupa
Jinyu-Zhe would stand several steps into the stable, looking it up and down carefully, as if looking for something.

"Hmm."

He would then turn his gaze towards the stablehands, giving them a once-over.

"Hmmmm..."

It wasn't long-term arrangements. Practicality was a factor in such things; one could fight for arrangements worthy of the Emperor's own horse if one wanted, but such effort would be considered a waste of energy if it was for naught but a night. The horses would be dry, they would be shaded, they would be removed from the elements. It would frankly be rude to turn one's nose up at arrangements that undoubtedly were adequate enough for a Unicorn of greater station than they. Everything should be in ordWAIT A KAMI-DARNED MINUTE

"Excuse me. I say, excuse me, young man," he would suddenly blurt out, turning to the nearest unoccupied (or mostly unoccupied) stablehand. "What will the horses be fed while in your care? Bring me a sample of their feed, if you would be so kind."

As the stable hand goes off to procure such a sample for Jinyu-Zhe, a Crane of the Daidoji family would approach the Unicorn priest with concern in his eyes. "Is there a problem, Utaku-san?" The Daidoji furrowed his brow. "I was assured by Ide Jamesu-san that these stables were excellent."  
Rain Yupa rolled 8 10-sided dice: 8, 8, 8, 2, 8, 6, 8, 3 Total: 51 (8-80)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:47 pm
"Oh, I agree. These stables are excellent. No disagreement from me, sir," Jinyu-Zhe would respond, nodding sagely. "However, when not directly being handled by her rider, Chishiyo-san's health and well-being falls directly upon my shoulders, sir. And that is why... hold on."

He would take a handful of the feed and promptly insert it into his mouth, chewing thoughtfully.

Quote:
3k3 Perception/... Investigation? Animal Handling? Horsemanship? Nonhuman Medicine? If so, 1 rank. Otherwise, 0 ranks... to gauge the quality of the feed, with a raise to be discerning for Chishiyo's preferences in taste. Spending a void for +1k1 if it's rank 1 skill, for 1 rank if it's a rank 0 skill. 2 extra dice for explosions, the 2 dice afterwards will be for any 1 rerolls due to possible emphases.

Shorted myself a die: But 32-5 = 27 with a rank 1 skill, 24-5=19 with a rank 0 skill.

He would swallow, and pick up where he left off. "... I must make sure that conditions are not just excellent, but exquisite, for her. Failure is not an option."

And he would proceed to consume a second handful, just to verify the accuracy of his initial assessment.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:04 am
The young scout regarded the bold, impertinent male with a dubious expression. She knew many a battle maiden who would cut him down for such defiance of the Utaku's most sacred traditions, but Aneksi could only roll her eyes and sigh. To find an Utaku even less reliable than a Moto was a sad day indeed, but there was comfort in the fact that if he jeopardized their mission by refusing to follow her orders there were a hundred ways she could be rid of him. She couldn't say the same for the others. She might have even let him take note of the battle maidens she knew who would relish the challenge of breaking him, but it was at that time that their host suddenly appeared.

Likewise, he seemed far more serious than she'd imagined, getting straight down to business. ...and oh what business it was. Her arms remained crossed and she took on a very dour, somber mood as she listened. Gravely serious allegations, levied against a very important leader of her family. This... would require some serious thought, and even more questions. Unfortunately she wouldn't get that either, as the merchant lord disappeared as quickly as he had arrived. Some proposal this was.

The troubled Utaku walked back to the platter, grabbed another cup of the alcoholic milk, downed it in two gulps, set it back down with a mighty thump, and marched out the door. She would not be stopped by anyone or anything as she made her way back to the inn, checking on the stables first just in case he was still there.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:11 am
Moto Mune listened to their host in silence, grinning around a kebob. Pulling the cleaned stick free, he'd take a moment to think it over. "So, we're pulled here to deal with bandits or something, then you go 'oh yea, it's really Maho you're here to deal with' instead. That's some jump. But ya know, no matter what comes against me, I'll show em how outmatched they are."

Picking up another skewer, he heads out while chewing on it. For now, he'd just look about the town til dinner.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:55 pm
Asura would continue to observe quietly his nominated fellows having silently decided already.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:28 pm
Daisuke would let out another more audible sigh after almost everyone had left. So much for a conversation. He would turn to one other Samurai that had stayed behind and ask Asura. "So, what is your take on all this? That is quite a bit of news to drop on one little dinner party."  

Kowsauni
Crew

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:52 pm
"Hrm?" Grunted Asura as he realised he was being addressed he uncrossed his arms and stopped leaning against the wall to reply, "My take?.. My take is unimportant. This is an individual decision that should be made by yourself. If it's too much for you to handle stay here in the cushy garrison role but if you think you're up to it, take it, if it's glory you seek you shall find it here. What I'm going to do? I'd rather not say in case it influences your decision. I'm Shinjo Asura."  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:43 pm
Daisuke would laugh again. "Hah, who says I haven't drawn my own conclusions as well, but such an important matter deserves discussion." Daisuke would look down at his plate, now devoid of nourishment. "I don't know why everyone here is so opposed to conversation. The name is Utaku Daisuke. I plan on waiting here until dinner arrives. It has been a long day of travel and I would like to study these poems here a little more. It might be a while until we are in such artistry again."  

Kowsauni
Crew

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:18 pm
"Yes I did notice that. Though you could reason that as strangers we do not wish to divulge too much of ourselves to strangers. Though I do not see what there is to discuss about this you either are participating or you're not. Barring the couple we do not know each other well enough to as try to convince each other of the matter. I do not know whether or not you'll be a hindrance or an asset to this missi-" Asura cut himself short as he realised he had revealed his hand to his choice, "Nevermind."

Asura sat down and fetched his kiseru pipe. Lighting it up and taking a long draft letting smoke seep out.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:45 pm
Daisuke grins at Asuna. "There we go, that wasn't too hard now was it?

Daisuke would pull the lute he had been carrying on his back and unwrap it from it's silk cover. The ornately carved wooden instrument was inlaid with ivory and jade. It was obviously a prized possession of his. He slowly began to tune the lute as he talks to Asuna. "Utaku Ryoko's family is close to my own. If such allegations exist then they must be investigated, for the sake of her honor, as much as my own. I find it distressing for their to be so much distrust between fellow clan members but even more so I want to know why. If Ryoko is indeed involved in some nefarious plot their must be a reason behind it."  

Kowsauni
Crew

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:33 am
Blowing smoke Asura replied plainly, "That's what we're to find out..."  
[L5R 4e] Desert Winds

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]