Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Bible Guild

Back to Guilds

What if Jesus meant every word He said? 

Tags: God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, The Bible, Truth, Love, Eternal Life, Salvation, Faith, Holy, Fellowship, Apologetics 

Reply Contests
[CLOSED] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Will you participate?
Yes
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
No
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 12

Searchghost

Ruthless Ladykiller

7,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:06 pm
Would you be able to respond to someone that asks you "Is God so strong that he can make a boulder that even he cannot move?"  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:43 pm
Searchghost
Would you be able to respond to someone that asks you "Is God so strong that he can make a boulder that even he cannot move?"
God can not do something that is a violation of his nature and character. Therefore, He cannot make a rock so big he can't pick up, or make something bigger than Himself, etc. But, not being able to do this does not mean He is not God, nor that He is not omnipotent. Omnipotence is not the ability to do anything conceivable, but the ability to do anything consistent with His nature and consistent with His desire within the realm of His unlimited and universal power which we do not possess. This does not mean He can violate His own nature. If He did something inconsistent with His nature, then He would be self-contradictory. If God were self- contradictory, He would not be true. Likewise, if He did something that violated His nature, like make a rock so big He couldn't pick it up, He would also not be true since that would be a self- contradiction. Since truth is not self-contradictory, neither is God, if He were not true, then He would not be God. But God is true and not self-contradictory. Therefore, God cannot do something that violates His own nature.

Another way to look at it is to realize that in order for God to make something so big He couldn't pick it up, He would have to make a rock bigger than Himself. Since He is infinite in size, He would have to make something that would be bigger than Himself. Since it is His nature to be the biggest thing in existence because He created all things, He cannot violate His own nature by making a rock that is larger than He.

Also, since a rock, by definition, is not infinitely big, then it isn't logically possible to make a rock, something that is finite in size, be infinite in size (no longer a rock) since only God is infinite in size. At dictionary.com, a rock is defined as a "Relatively hard, naturally formed mineral or petrified matter; stone. a) A relatively small piece or fragment of such material. b) A relatively large body of such material, as a cliff or peak. c) A naturally formed aggregate of mineral matter constituting a significant part of the earth's crust." A rock, by definition, is not infinitely large. So to say the rock must be so big that God cannot pick it up is to say that the rock is no longer a rock.

The Bible never claims that God can do all things. In fact, the Bible makes a point that there are things that God cannot do. The Bible says that God cannot commit sin. God cannot lie. Therefore, biblical omnipotence does not mean that God can do all things. God cannot do anything that is contrary to His holy character. However, God can do anything that He determines to do. This is a true meaning of omnipotence - the ability to do anything that one sets out to do.

Though it has the appearance of being a paradox, it is not. It is self refuting, and illogical because it omits important information about God's nature, either to force us to reach the wrong conclusion about God and in turn reject the notion of there being a God, or because of ignorance.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:23 pm
Searchghost
Another thing came to mind. I think it is in our best interest that God remains God, and does not violate His character.

Colossians 1:16-17
16For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities-- all things have been created through Him and for Him. 17He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.

In him all things are held together, should he no longer be God I think we should expect the universe to quickly fall into disarray.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:55 am
biggrin Not sure I understand the rules but I will post something. A prayer request. My job is in jeopardy and I may be out of a job at the end of December. Pray God allows me to keep this job until HE finds me another that he feels I should do. Praise God and thank you very much! biggrin  

PurpleAngel2God

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:14 am
PurpleAngel2God
biggrin Not sure I understand the rules but I will post something. A prayer request. My job is in jeopardy and I may be out of a job at the end of December. Pray God allows me to keep this job until HE finds me another that he feels I should do. Praise God and thank you very much! biggrin
You can post what you want, as long as you are following Gaia's Terms of Service, and the Guild's Rules & guidelines. 3nodding
Praying for you. God bless you and keep you!  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:05 am
Thank you for posting Bible verses. They all encourage me smile

I had just led a reflection for 2013 & goal 2014 for my church youth group. This verse comes to mind:
James 2:26
"Faith without works is dead."

Meili Kyumee Youichi

Blessed Friend

7,700 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Contributor 150

tuggle_love89

Conservative Businesswoman

7,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:52 pm
Col 3:23: Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men,  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:47 pm
Garland-Green
Searchghost
God can not do something that is a violation of his nature and character. Therefore, He cannot make a rock so big he can't pick up, or make something bigger than Himself, etc. But, not being able to do this does not mean He is not God, nor that He is not omnipotent. Omnipotence is not the ability to do anything conceivable, but the ability to do anything consistent with His nature and consistent with His desire within the realm of His unlimited and universal power which we do not possess. This does not mean He can violate His own nature. If He did something inconsistent with His nature, then He would be self-contradictory. If God were self- contradictory, He would not be true. Likewise, if He did something that violated His nature, like make a rock so big He couldn't pick it up, He would also not be true since that would be a self- contradiction. Since truth is not self-contradictory, neither is God, if He were not true, then He would not be God. But God is true and not self-contradictory. Therefore, God cannot do something that violates His own nature.

Another way to look at it is to realize that in order for God to make something so big He couldn't pick it up, He would have to make a rock bigger than Himself. Since He is infinite in size, He would have to make something that would be bigger than Himself. Since it is His nature to be the biggest thing in existence because He created all things, He cannot violate His own nature by making a rock that is larger than He.

Also, since a rock, by definition, is not infinitely big, then it isn't logically possible to make a rock, something that is finite in size, be infinite in size (no longer a rock) since only God is infinite in size. At dictionary.com, a rock is defined as a "Relatively hard, naturally formed mineral or petrified matter; stone. a) A relatively small piece or fragment of such material. b) A relatively large body of such material, as a cliff or peak. c) A naturally formed aggregate of mineral matter constituting a significant part of the earth's crust." A rock, by definition, is not infinitely large. So to say the rock must be so big that God cannot pick it up is to say that the rock is no longer a rock.

The Bible never claims that God can do all things. In fact, the Bible makes a point that there are things that God cannot do. The Bible says that God cannot commit sin. God cannot lie. Therefore, biblical omnipotence does not mean that God can do all things. God cannot do anything that is contrary to His holy character. However, God can do anything that He determines to do. This is a true meaning of omnipotence - the ability to do anything that one sets out to do.

Though it has the appearance of being a paradox, it is not. It is self refuting, and illogical because it omits important information about God's nature, either to force us to reach the wrong conclusion about God and in turn reject the notion of there being a God, or because of ignorance.

I have no doubt that God can do all things and that through him all things are possible. To the unbeliever that attempts to disprove God's existence and shake the faith of Christians, this seems like a perfect question to trap them. You bring up many good points that an unbeliever does not comprehend about God and his attributes (and some points that I had not considered). The supposed trap in this question is that if you answer no, then God is not supposedly omnipotent to create this rock. If the answer would be yes, then God is once again not powerful enough.
I always learned that an easy answer to the question would be that God has the ability to humble himself (like he did as Jesus). But I absolutely agree with you that there are many other ways to disprove this argument (as you stated above) that point to the misconceptions of what God's power is.  

Searchghost

Ruthless Ladykiller

7,000 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

ChibiHigh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:22 pm
Searchghost

I learned this quote in Philosophy; I forgot who said it but it they were trying to prove God can't do anything, thus he doesn't exist  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:48 am
ChibiHigh
Searchghost

I learned this quote in Philosophy; I forgot who said it but it they were trying to prove God can't do anything, thus he doesn't exist

They would teach that in philosophy class. Sad...
It is not a good argument.  

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:58 am
Colossians 2:8

See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:06 am
Garland-Green
ChibiHigh
Searchghost

I still couldn't come up with a response for the argument though :/ it was a very uncomfortable class at times  

ChibiHigh

Garland-Green

Friendly Gaian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:33 am
ChibiHigh
Garland-Green
ChibiHigh
Searchghost

I still couldn't come up with a response for the argument though :/ it was a very uncomfortable class at times

Did the teacher at any point present you with good arguments for the existence of God?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:30 pm
Garland-Green
ChibiHigh
Garland-Green
ChibiHigh
Searchghost

Did the teacher at any point present you with good arguments for the existence of God?

Not really; the class was more looking at the various philosopher's views and our POV rather than the teacher's, although she had let her opinions slip out quite a few times  

ChibiHigh

tuggle_love89

Conservative Businesswoman

7,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:39 pm
Prov 3:6: in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.  
Contests

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff