Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Pacific Rim RP - Looking for Interest First Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:41 pm
Rain Yupa
The major problem with MY above system is:

1.) It's not playtested, AT ALL, so I have no idea how it would balance, and
2.) It's rather fatal.

I would definitely favor a system that was more "ready", and especially one that focused more on out-of-Jaeger character development.

You COULD try the 3:16 system for that purpose. I'd have to tweak it to apply to giant mecha instead of starship troopers, though.

Or adeptus evangelion where you have stats for pilot and the mech...  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:12 am
Mongooseh
Rain Yupa

2.) It's rather fatal.

I would definitely favor a system that was more "ready", and especially one that focused more on out-of-Jaeger character development.

You COULD try the 3:16 system for that purpose. I'd have to tweak it to apply to giant mecha instead of starship troopers, though.

Problem is, it's a two pilot system. You'd have to modify the system to reflect that. How well the Jaeger operates is based on how well they synch with each other, not it.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:22 am
Rain Yupa
Mongooseh
Rain Yupa

2.) It's rather fatal.

Problem is, it's a two pilot system. You'd have to modify the system to reflect that. How well the Jaeger operates is based on how well they synch with each other, not it.

Or just treat the sync ratio stat as you said and have 2 pilots but simplify?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:36 pm
Rain Yupa
I just thought of an AWESOME mechanic, concerning synchronization.

I'll let you use the range of dice you want, but for now, I'll use the range Gaia provides: d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, d100. Also if this was implemented IRL I'd see use for a d30 in that range.

Pilots must have similar shared experiences to synchronize well with one another. Something you can do while attempting to pilot a Jaeger is that pilots who are kind of strangers to each other would roll two d100 and the difference of their rolls would be how much they'd synchronize. You can even use that as an attack mechanic, where a "0" could be a critical hit, a "1" could be a powerful hit, "2-3" could be a strong hit, "4-5" could be a weak hit, or something.

Pilots who know each other to some extent could roll d20s instead.

Pilots who know each other fairly well could roll d12s.

Pilots who've known each other all their lives, d10s.

Pilots who were best friends growing up and stayed in touch, d8s.

Pilots who know each other very well and have very similar backgrounds, d6s.

Pilots who are almost identical in their backgrounds, such as close siblings, d4s.

You could even add a bidding mechanic for multitasking, where one of the two pilots could up a die (i.e. d6->d8 ) if they are focusing on a different task than the other pilot, like "guarding".

If you implement a mechanic where pilots gradually synchronize better the longer they train/pilot with one another, I'd say too much multitasking would subtract from that "experience pool".

Kaiju have a multibrain system, so their Category could be reflected by their Complexity. Category 1's might roll 2dX (say, d12s). More difficult ones can add a die rolled, and they choose which two to use for their attacks. A Category 4 would thus use 5d12, and compare the difference of any 2. When building a Kaiju, you can "sacrifice" a die to give it a special trait (extra tough, acid bile, etc).

Mind you, I hardly consider this "perfect" and I'm sure it could use some work, but I'm excited for it nonetheless.

UPDATE

During character creation, for whatever system you use outside of Jaegertech (d20 modern? *shrugs*), have a background point system. I'd say give people 4 background points to pick (subject to change), and can spend 1 point for 1 specific "event" in their past. Something that might make them synchronize better with another player.

This could be used to make an actual mechanic for deciding how well two players synchronize, compared to the "rough" table above.

Let's see...

d100 = 0 shared background points
d20 = 1 shared background point
d12 = 2 shared background points
d10 = 3 shared background points
d8 = 4 shared background points

And leave a growing process of synchronization from there. Your "experience progression", if you will. You may want to leave it at 3 points with the above chart, or maybe instead of dice, use the RNG to fill in the blanks (d100, d70, d50, d30, d20, d12, d10, d8, d6, d4, d3)? In that case, expand the background point system.

So, characters without ANY shared background CAN STILL train to be a good pair, but it just takes a LOT LONGER and is a LOT HARDER. Finding 2 characters with SOME level of compatibility gives you a "head start".

More fun if these are submitted secretly to the GM? Optional rule, perhaps.

UPDATE 2

A bit about damage on Jaegers. You'd need to build a damage table for the Jaegers. It can be generic, or you could allow players to "build" their Jaegers.

For generic...

Critical Hit Table (d6)
1 = Pilot Chamber damage (d6, 1 = Both Pilots killed, 2-3 = One Pilot killed, One Pilot injured, 4-6 = Both Pilots injured; a second roll kills them both).
2-3 = Life Support systems damage (pilots will be killed in X minutes, where X = number rolled; a second Critical Hit with this result reduces this time by 1 minute).
4-6 = Power systems damage (render inoperable in X rounds, X = number rolled; a second Critical Hit with this result renders it inoperable immediately).

Powerful Hit Table (d6)
1 = Primary Limb damaged, rendered inoperable (second result severs it).
2 = Off Limb damaged, rendered inoperable (second result severs it).
3 = Primary Leg damaged, rendered inoperable (opposite Primary Limb, second result severs it).
4 = Off Leg damaged, rendered inoperable (opposite Off Limb, second result severs it).
5-6 = Hard Body Shot, Stunned (lose your next action).
*Note: If a limb is severed and targeted again, move up one line on the table. If Primary Limb is severed, reroll on the Critical Hit table instead.

Strong Hit Table (d6)
1 = Hard Body Shot, Stunned (lose your next action).
2 = Overwhelming Blow, Knocked Over (spend next turn standing from prone or fight at disadvantage).
3-4 = Unbalancing Hit (next action rolled at a disadvantage).
5-6 = Disarming Blow (lose any held item, or next action rolled at a disadvantage).

Weak Hit Table (d6)
1 = Unbalancing Hit (next action rolled at a disadvantage).
2 = Disarming Blow (lose any held item, or next action rolled at a disadvantage).
3-4 = Parrying Blow (1-3 = left pilot rolls at disadvantage, 4-6 = right pilot rolls at a disadvantage).
5-6 = Glancing Hit (add +1 to difference of next roll made).

• When rolling at a disadvantage, one or both pilots roll one higher die.
  • When attacking a prone target, take -1 to the difference of your two rolls.
  • Attacking while holding something in your off hand (if both players are right handed, the Jaeger is right handed) gives +1 to the difference of your two rolls. This does not apply to grappling or something held in both hands.
  • Attacking with a weapon gives -1 to the critical hit table. Attacking with an improvised weapon gives -1 to the critical hit table but has a chance of breaking (d6, critical hit breaks on 1-5, powerful hit 1-4, strong hit 1-3, weak hit 1-2).
  • If one leg is damaged, the pilot on that side rolls at a disadvantage, and mobility is hindered. If a leg is removed, also add +1 to the difference of your two rolls.

For Kaiju damage, I feel they should fall under a "hit point" system. Weak hits deal 1 damage. Strong hits deal 2 damage and roll under the "weak hit table". Powerful hits deal 4 damage and roll under the "strong hit table". Critical Hits deal 10 damage and roll under the "powerful hit table".

Category 1 Kaiju should have 6 hit points.*
Category 2 Kaiju should have 12 hit points.*
Category 3 Kaiju should have 24 hit points.*
Category 4 Kaiju should have 48 hit points.*
*Playtest needed

Kaiju are kind of jerks.

For specific Jaeger builds...

Rather than an accumulated damage off those tables, I'd give each Jaeger a hit point system for each limb. Apply the damage Jaeger deal to Kaiju across the board, and target based on the following chart:
Hit Location Table (d12)
1 = Head
2 = Off Leg (opposite off hand)
3 = Primary Leg (opposite primary hand)
4-5 = Off Hand arm
6-8 = Primary Hand arm
9-12 = Torso

In addition, rather than using the critical hit tables above, a difference of 0-2 Stuns the target, causing them to miss their next action.

Have players "build" their Jaegers with JP (Jaeger Points) which will determine hit points per hit location. Let's say 20 for now.

CUSTOM MARTIAL WEAPON (3 JP) = A melee weapon designed with your Jaeger's physique in mind. Attacking with a weapon designed for different Jaeger causes the pilot doing so to roll at a disadvantage. Weapons give +2 damage.
Upgrades:
DEADLY (+3 JP) = Doubles damage instead.
BUILT-IN (+1 JP) = Part of your systems, you may draw it without using an action.

CUSTOM ARTILLERY WEAPON (2 JP) = An attack you can make outside of melee range. A one-shot deal. Damage is increased by 2 in melee range. Rules for using other Jaeger's weapons apply.
Upgrades:
BUILT-IN (+1 JP) = Part of your systems, you may draw it without using an action.
CLIP (+2 JP) = You can fire up to six times, instead of once.
SALVO (+2 JP) = If you have the Clip upgrade, you can discharge your entire remaining clip. Make an attack roll for each shot.
ENERGY (+2 JP) = Your weapon is energy-based. +2 damage.

STRONG ARM (3 JP) = Your unarmed attacks deal +1 damage; an arm isn't crippled until 75% damaged.
Upgrades:
IRON GRIP (+2 JP) = When grappling, opponents add +1 to their difference against you.
EXTRA LIMB (+4 JP) = First extra limb counts as "off-hand", the second "primary", and alternates as such. With only two pilots, they can control two arms at a time, leaving the rest as "back-ups". Additional pilots can be added to overcome this.
SHIELDED ARM (+3 JP) = Your off-hand arm receives half damage from all blows.
SUPERIOR HYDRAULICS (+2 JP) = You can lift objects of much greater mass with less difficulty.

POWERFUL LEGS (2 JP) = You have a speed advantage over other Jaegers and most Kaiju; a leg isn't crippled until 75% damaged.
Upgrades:
SEA LEGS (+1 JP) = You aren't slowed by moving through water.
JUMPER (+1 JP) = Your massive weight doesn't inhibit powerful leaps or landing from greater heights.
KICKER (+1 JP) = You can deal your unarmed damage with your legs, and can fight prone without rolling at a disadvantage.

HARD BODY (4 JP) = 50% chance of recovering from a Stun.
Upgrades:
THICK PLATING (+X JP) = +X hit points for the Torso (1 JP = 2 HP)
TITANIUM CHASIS (+2 JP) = Torso isn't crippled until 90% damage.
JETPACK SYSTEM (+4 JP) = A short-duration method of flight.
NUCLEAR-POWERED ENGINE (+2 JP) = You have your own power source, which allows you to operate independently of any digital connections.

So, the Russian ZangiefJaeger would probably have Strong Arm (3), Iron Grip (2), Superior Hydrolics (2), Hard Body (4), Titanium Chasis (2), Thick Plating x7 (7).

Hit Points per hit location is 10 + number of JP spent on Arms, Legs, or Torso (Weapon purchases don't make you tougher). If an Arm or Leg is reduced to below 50% HP, it is "damaged" and the respective pilot rolls at a disadvantage when doing anything involving that limb (if both limbs would be necessary, both pilots roll at a disadvantage). If the Torso is reduced to below 75% HP, it is "damaged" and systems begin to fail; both pilots roll at a disadvantage which increases each turn, and if they ever have a difference of 10 or more, the Jaeger is rendered inoperable. If the Head is reduced to 50% or below, starting with that hit, each Pilot has a 10% chance of being killed.

If one pilot ever remains, they can try to operate the Jaeger alone; they roll three dice, and must choose the two results farthest apart; i.e., dropping the middle.

So the Russian ZangiefJaeger would have 10 HP for each of its legs, 17 HP for each of its arms, 30 HP for its Torso, and 10 HP for its head.

The contents of this post are free for anyone to modify and utilize. I have no particular attachment to these mechanics.

I'd be willing to make characters using this system. I have the movie now, I've watched it many times, and have actually designed multiple jaegers of my own, though not with this system.

I also play the XBOX LIVE arcade game.

And with this system, I am pretty sure I can come up with a unique jaeger.  

Wire_Colossus

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,875 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Gender Swap 100
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers