Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
[D&D 4e] Goblins- Step 3 of Char Creation (Game beginning) Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:51 am
kualus457

Kualus, do you see Ms. Blur's post? THAT is the whole point of what this part is: to give character definition to your goblin so you stand out from other goblins.

If you're trying to get magic or power or skills as part of this process, you're missing the point entirely.

Remember, this is only the First Step, and your character will be further defined in the next one, in terms of mechanics.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:32 am
I just read the part about no PC limit and not surviving chapter one means you're out...I might make a second PC but before I do...how easy to kill will we be? are we like normal goblins, or are we a bit sturdier?  

Cute Things In Jars

Anxious Poster

10,675 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Megathread 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:25 pm
Audio Blur
I just read the part about no PC limit and not surviving chapter one means you're out...I might make a second PC but before I do...how easy to kill will we be? are we like normal goblins, or are we a bit sturdier?

There's two "roles" of note in the warcamp. Any NPC that is a Chief or a Fortune Teller will NOT be a minion. Any other goblin NPC will have minion status.

You will have regular non-minion stats, as if you were playing a monster out of the monster manual. I'll cover that in Step Two.

Being a Fortune Teller or Chief might give you a little extra in the first chapter (lost when you gain character classes but might pigeonhole you into a certain kind of character), but it also makes you a bigger target since you're "worth more XP". Such is the life of a monster!  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:02 pm
Rain Yupa
Audio Blur

There's two "roles" of note in the warcamp. Any NPC that is a Chief or a Fortune Teller will NOT be a minion. Any other goblin NPC will have minion status.

You will have regular non-minion stats, as if you were playing a monster out of the monster manual. I'll cover that in Step Two.

Being a Fortune Teller or Chief might give you a little extra in the first chapter (lost when you gain character classes but might pigeonhole you into a certain kind of character), but it also makes you a bigger target since you're "worth more XP". Such is the life of a monster!

If i'm a fortune teller, can i still be pretty, or do I have to be old and baggy...
I'm sure you'll cover this. just wanted to show I am a fan of the comic too XD  

Cute Things In Jars

Anxious Poster

10,675 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Megathread 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:56 pm
Audio Blur
Rain Yupa
Audio Blur

If i'm a fortune teller, can i still be pretty, or do I have to be old and baggy...
I'm sure you'll cover this. just wanted to show I am a fan of the comic too XD

I wouldn't call Riss old and baggy eek  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:15 pm
I'll be the bulkiest goblin in the camp then smile  

Kazua Kisake

Partying Genius

3,100 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500

The Number Three

Generous Smoker

10,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:50 pm
kualus457
I'll be the bulkiest goblin in the camp then smile
fatty! XD  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:29 pm
I am the twitchiest and most fidgety goblin.  

WhimsicalXellos
Crew

Compassionate Husband

9,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:03 am
Man, totally stoked for this weekend when I has heaps of free time! I mean, I still have plans for the weekend but they involve not being at work, so less all-consuming for my day.

ANYWAYS

Starting Step 2 now, rather than Saturday. Recruitment is not closed, so Johnny-come-latelies can still sign in!

Here we go!

--------------------

STEP 2

Rather than rolling dice, we are using a standard 22 point buy like most monsters are built around! But an important decision now rests in each of your hands about your character.

CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
  • Choose the name of your goblin!
  • Choose the stats of your goblin!

Whichever one you don't pick, I'll decide instead.

In addition to that, answer me the following questions:
  • What's a goblin in your warcamp that you are good friends with and why?
  • What's a goblin in your warcamp that you are on bad terms with and why?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:09 pm
If we choose the stats, are we able to reduce a stat in order to gain, ie the standard drop one 10 to an 8 for two extra points? Also do we include the racial goblin bonus'?

Or if we choose our own name, is that considered to have a prophetic value to our character as in the comics?  

The Number Three

Generous Smoker

10,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:54 pm
The Number Three
If we choose the stats, are we able to reduce a stat in order to gain, ie the standard drop one 10 to an 8 for two extra points? Also do we include the racial goblin bonus'?

Or if we choose our own name, is that considered to have a prophetic value to our character as in the comics?

1.) I'm going to take a standard 22 point buy and give you a stat spread. This is before the +2 Dex, +2 Cha that goblins get. You may not alter your starting stats. I will not give you a stat spread that conflicts with your self-descriptors (so the goblin with good teeth won't have a hideous charisma score).

2.) You didn't name yourselves. Er, well, I guess you did, but what I mean is, you didn't knit the strands of fate then named yourselves accordingly like a god. If you name yourself "Stabs Lots", it probably means you'll stab a lot of things! But could it mean you stab things on a regular basis throughout your lifetime? Could it mean you stab one thing a helluva lot of times at one point only? Could it mean at some point you have to willingly run across a spiked floor to survive some sort of deathtrap?

SPOILER ALERT: I'm a huge fan of djinni. That means I like twisting and contorting intentions. IF YOU NAME YOURSELF SOMETHING PROPHETIC, I WILL TRY TO APPLY IT IN SUCH A WAY YOU WILL NOT EXPECT. AND PROBABLY SUCCEED.

On the flip side, naming yourself "Lower Back Pain" or "Hairy Arms" or something a bit more... physical will probably keep you from getting prophecy-screwed. Which can be a blessing and a curse. It's a lot more open-ended how your destiny will turn out that way.

You can also pick a non-fortunistic name - even more open-ended that way!

NAME AT YOUR OWN RISK.

(Fun aside: My Goblin name would be "Befriends a p***s Monkey").  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:37 pm
I'll go with the point buy, and trust to the dm's creativity in finding an appropriate prophetic name. I like a challenge.

Str 16
Con 14
Dex 16 + 2
Int 11
Wis 11
Cha 8 + 2  

The Number Three

Generous Smoker

10,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100

Cute Things In Jars

Anxious Poster

10,675 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:01 am
Do your worst!
But really, please be nice XD

I am named "Calms the Storm"

Let's see how you work with that!
I was gonna make it like "Summons a Demon," but I saw that biting me in the butt.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:25 am
Quote:

I'm going with, My own Stat choice.
one question: do we have to use the goblin from the MM or can we use the goblin from Into the Unknown: Dungeon Survival Guide.

Quote:

Does this have to be someone already mentioned or can it be someone we make up?  

Liquidor

Original Player

10,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:16 pm
Liquidor
Quote:

I'm going with, My own Stat choice.
one question: do we have to use the goblin from the MM or can we use the goblin from Into the Unknown: Dungeon Survival Guide.

Quote:

Does this have to be someone already mentioned or can it be someone we make up?

MM only (+2 Dex, +2 Cha). I don't have the other book, and not about to buy it for goblin stats.

And it should be someone that hasn't been mentioned yet, but it doesn't need to be. It's NPC generation with PC assistance (so you can have stronger connections to them) but if you really want to work something out with another PC that badly I won't stop you smile  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff