Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Azusanga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:40 pm
PeanutButterGirl23
Krissim Klaw
PeanutButterGirl23
the other chihuahua stays outside on his chain because he can't be trusted roaming around in the house or outside.
I feel so bad for that little chi. Chihuahuas are companion dogs. Their main drive in life is to be with their people. They are also very easy targets for predators. Even large birds of prey such as owls can pick them off.

Im telling you, my town is safe. No big birds, only crows, cardinals, blue jays.. robins. No large predators except for wolves which if we see one, we take him in. My mom is a babysitter and once he's been trained and stuff, he's allowed to stay in with the kids and stuff. It's not my fault. Actually, a couple of days ago, i asked my parents if Choncho could be an inside dog. But when Choncho gets to stay inside for a couple hours, every time the door opens, he runs outside and alot of people take walks where i live and he barks at them, he chases cars and birds, when people go in (i live by my church) my church, he gets in and he's not supposed to be in the church. Oh, and he barks alot but when we try to get him in, he'll run away. He barks all night long, too.

Birds of prey don't have limits. They don't fly around and avoid urban areas, going "Oh darn, I see houses! Time to turn around." Here's a story for you. My dad was taking down an abandoned eagles nest during the winter when it was empty (it was a safety risk). When he looked inside, he saw 9 little dog collars inside of it, each with a shiny little tag. He had to give them to his supervisor, who then went to each of the houses respectively and informed them of their dogs demise. Wanna know something interesting? Each of those dogs were loved intensely by their owners and lived in urban areas where birds of prey were few and far between. Get it?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:02 pm
PeanutButterGirl23
tonks36
My dog stays inside then we take him out on a leash for exercise and potty, than our cats stay inside but we have a window so they can sunbath in and the dog can look out it also so it works. 3nodding All of them are allowed to roam the house.

Thank you for not judging me!

Its not like it is your fault I mean you tried to convince your parents its not like you can go against there word smile  

T_Major_9389

Ailinea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:39 pm
PeanutButterGirl23
Ailinea
PeanutButterGirl23
Krissim Klaw
PeanutButterGirl23
the other chihuahua stays outside on his chain because he can't be trusted roaming around in the house or outside.
I feel so bad for that little chi. Chihuahuas are companion dogs. Their main drive in life is to be with their people. They are also very easy targets for predators. Even large birds of prey such as owls can pick them off.

Im telling you, my town is safe. No big birds, only crows, cardinals, blue jays.. robins. No large predators except for wolves which if we see one, we take him in. My mom is a babysitter and once he's been trained and stuff, he's allowed to stay in with the kids and stuff. It's not my fault. Actually, a couple of days ago, i asked my parents if Choncho could be an inside dog. But when Choncho gets to stay inside for a couple hours, every time the door opens, he runs outside and alot of people take walks where i live and he barks at them, he chases cars and birds, when people go in (i live by my church) my church, he gets in and he's not supposed to be in the church. Oh, and he barks alot but when we try to get him in, he'll run away. He barks all night long, too.

Sounds like something that needs training. Not to be rude, but it really drives me crazy when people banish dogs outside because they can't be bothered to train bad behavior, especially a little guy like a chihuahua. And while you may think your town is "safe" there are birds of prey everywhere. Trust me. Wildlife are especially prevalent in urban areas. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. In my old hometown, just last year, a couple lost a chihuahua to a red-tailed hawk attack, which I can guarantee you that those same hawks are in your area.

Actually, no. We don't have those kind of birds. I regret making this topic. -.-" So people can judge me! Look, im having to help my madre with a garage sale, i might be moving, yeah! Im very busy and stuff and you guys aren't helping!

No one is judging you. We're trying to help you. We're trying to let you know that it is very dangerous for a dog the size of a chihuahua to be outside most of the time without supervision. Can I ask what state you live in? I'd be happy to show you some range maps of birds of prey that are in your area to show you that the danger is very real. I am a zoologist with a specialty in birds, so you can believe me when I tell you that birds of prey are everywhere.

Have you tried to re-home the chihuahua to a place where he can be more safe and with people that can take the time to include him in their family? I know dog training takes a lot of time and patience, so if you can't do it yourself, try to find someone who can. It's not fair to the dog to be outside all the time instead of with his pack. Dogs are pack animals, and need to be with others. Talk to your parents about finding a new home for him. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:52 pm
We're tying to help but our interest lies in the well being of your dog. If your dog was bigger like say a Lab or Shepard, it wouldn't be that much of an issue. But a small dog can be picked up or torn to pieces by any number of animals. That's why a lot of pet owners keep their cats inside almost exclusively.

No matter how much you watch from the window or door, chances are you won't be able to stop an animal attacking your dog. And if it doesn't kill your dog you could have to put it down yourself.

The best option for your dog is to enroll in some training programs (Petco and Petsmart generally have decent priced ones) or find a new home for the dog.

I can promise you the dog isn't happy spending all it's time outside. Dogs are social animals and especially like the company of their owner(s). If they can't be with their owner a lot then it's almost like not having one. It really isn't fair to the dog.

The chances of my Pom getting picked up by a hawk are pretty low, yeah. My yard has a ton of places for him to hide. But skunks, possums, cats, raccoons, other dogs...any number of animals either rabid or acting defensively can harm or kill my dog. So unless I'm outside with him, he never leaves the house.

Trust me, we aren't judging you. No one has said you're a bad owner or that you don't love your dog. We're just saying what is best for your dog, that's all.

We had a German Shepard for a little while but we had to keep her outside because I was pregnant(she liked to jump up on me), we have a lot of cats she could easily hurt and she was a huge dog. We didn't have time to train her, so we ended up just finding her a better home. Yes, we liked her a lot! We saved her from certain death after being abandoned at a storage place. But we cared enough about her to find her a home where she could be in the house with her owners and enjoy it.  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Crystal Ice23

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:40 pm
tonks36
PeanutButterGirl23
tonks36
My dog stays inside then we take him out on a leash for exercise and potty, than our cats stay inside but we have a window so they can sunbath in and the dog can look out it also so it works. 3nodding All of them are allowed to roam the house.

Thank you for not judging me!

Its not like it is your fault I mean you tried to convince your parents its not like you can go against there word smile

Thank you!!! Dx  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:41 pm
Azusanga
PeanutButterGirl23
Krissim Klaw
PeanutButterGirl23

Birds of prey don't have limits. They don't fly around and avoid urban areas, going "Oh darn, I see houses! Time to turn around." Here's a story for you. My dad was taking down an abandoned eagles nest during the winter when it was empty (it was a safety risk). When he looked inside, he saw 9 little dog collars inside of it, each with a shiny little tag. He had to give them to his supervisor, who then went to each of the houses respectively and informed them of their dogs demise. Wanna know something interesting? Each of those dogs were loved intensely by their owners and lived in urban areas where birds of prey were few and far between. Get it?

Leave me alone! I regret making this topic! It's not like i don't love Choncho! In fact, just yesterday i gave him a bath, some treats, and right now he's inside so shut up! Dx  

Crystal Ice23

Crystal Ice23

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:44 pm
Ailinea
PeanutButterGirl23
Ailinea
PeanutButterGirl23
Krissim Klaw
PeanutButterGirl23

Sounds like something that needs training. Not to be rude, but it really drives me crazy when people banish dogs outside because they can't be bothered to train bad behavior, especially a little guy like a chihuahua. And while you may think your town is "safe" there are birds of prey everywhere. Trust me. Wildlife are especially prevalent in urban areas. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. In my old hometown, just last year, a couple lost a chihuahua to a red-tailed hawk attack, which I can guarantee you that those same hawks are in your area.

Actually, no. We don't have those kind of birds. I regret making this topic. -.-" So people can judge me! Look, im having to help my madre with a garage sale, i might be moving, yeah! Im very busy and stuff and you guys aren't helping!

No one is judging you. We're trying to help you. We're trying to let you know that it is very dangerous for a dog the size of a chihuahua to be outside most of the time without supervision. Can I ask what state you live in? I'd be happy to show you some range maps of birds of prey that are in your area to show you that the danger is very real. I am a zoologist with a specialty in birds, so you can believe me when I tell you that birds of prey are everywhere.

Have you tried to re-home the chihuahua to a place where he can be more safe and with people that can take the time to include him in their family? I know dog training takes a lot of time and patience, so if you can't do it yourself, try to find someone who can. It's not fair to the dog to be outside all the time instead of with his pack. Dogs are pack animals, and need to be with others. Talk to your parents about finding a new home for him. smile

I love Choncho and would never even think about getting him a different home. I'll tell you what, i will try to train him but just stop gettin' in my business! I am not telling what state i live in.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:59 pm
If you get upset when people tell you that it might not be safe for your dog outside, Seeing as this IS the PETS and ANIMALS guild, yes the safety of the dog, and suggestions as to what can be done for you to further improve the dog's safety is going to come first. I have yet seen a post judging you, only posts disagreeing with the way the dog is being kept. Birds of prey are everywhere, there's yearly clean ups of hawk nests, eagle nests, falcons in every large urban area country wide. Just because YOU don't see them doesn't mean they're not there. Birds of prey have lived for centuries simply because they hide well, and have that magical camoflage ability.  

Akiska

Crystal Ice23

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:59 pm
Ok, i just talked to my mom and she said when we go for walks, i can take Choncho and she said i can start training him so he can be an inside house dog. ^^ Im sorry if i got all dramatic and stuff, it just scares me when you guys say my dog could get taken/eaten by big prey. I love that little fluff. Hehe. Have you heard of Dog Whisperer? I watch it with my family and Ceaser/Dog Trainer says that a walk is best for dogs. Thanks, guys.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:45 pm
PeanutButterGirl23
Ok, i just talked to my mom and she said when we go for walks, i can take Choncho and she said i can start training him so he can be an inside house dog. ^^ Im sorry if i got all dramatic and stuff, it just scares me when you guys say my dog could get taken/eaten by big prey. I love that little fluff. Hehe. Have you heard of Dog Whisperer? I watch it with my family and Ceaser/Dog Trainer says that a walk is best for dogs. Thanks, guys.

Great! I'm glad you're making the effort! We can definitely tell you love your dog. We just wanted to let you know that unfortunately, bad things can happen, so you must be careful. Please do let us know how the training goes. biggrin Do you have a picture of Choncho anywhere?  

Ailinea

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:09 am
That's great! I'm all for enrolling into a dog obedience training course, they're great for bonding with your dog.

Keep us updated on Choncho's progress!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:15 am
Ailinea
PeanutButterGirl23

Great! I'm glad you're making the effort! We can definitely tell you love your dog. We just wanted to let you know that unfortunately, bad things can happen, so you must be careful. Please do let us know how the training goes. biggrin Do you have a picture of Choncho anywhere?

No, but i'll tell you what he's like. He's really white. (Now that i bathed him) He has light brown spots. His ears are light brown. And, yeah. It's cool because Molly has a little star trek symbol on her head. It's natural. =P  

Crystal Ice23

Crystal Ice23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:17 am
Kithy Kitty
That's great! I'm all for enrolling into a dog obedience training course, they're great for bonding with your dog.

Keep us updated on Choncho's progress!

Duke is so mellow and he knows a bunch of tricks and i so want Choncho to go where Duke went. I think it was.. North Dakota.. or California.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:21 am
Hey, i tried to take Choncho for a walk last night but he kept on pulling and pulling so i traded for Molly. D= Today, my mom said he almost got ran over by a car. Things aren't doing so great with him. ):  

Crystal Ice23

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:56 am
PeanutButterGirl23
Hey, i tried to take Choncho for a walk last night but he kept on pulling and pulling so i traded for Molly. D= Today, my mom said he almost got ran over by a car. Things aren't doing so great with him. ):
What kind of leash do you have him on? A retractable one or just a plain old leash?

Honestly, I gotta keep suggesting training from a professional. They have tons of ideas and can work with you and your dog in person whereas we can only advice, not really show you exactly what to do.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff