Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Bible and other christian discussions
do you consider catholics christain? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xxEverBluexx

6,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:46 pm
Of my own
I do agree that sometimes Jesus and God the Father tend to get meshed. but Jesus is probably easier to talk about since he was an actual human on earth at one point. I dont know, just a thought.

I've seen this happen among Protestants too. xD  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:10 pm
I was a Catholic for 16 years and I have realized the truth that they are not "true" Christians... But I'm not saying all of them, there are some who has a personal relationship with God. But most of the Catholics do not have a relationship with the Lord. They only have a relationship with their religion! And they do not follow God most of the time. They follow their own righteousness. That is what I see as a former Catholic.

But I believe that they have a chance in going to Heaven. Just believe in the Lord Jesus Christ.. And forget those sacraments and practices that they continuously add which is/are against the Bible.. Ehehe.

Let us not fight over it now, let's just earn the Catholics' trust and lead them to genuine Christianity. Let us show them what is right and tell them to follow God's righteousness, not a man's righteousness. That's all! <3  

Expilliarmus

3,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

Hathor The Mad

Friendly Hunter

18,775 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Converting 100 items 100
  • Party Member 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:53 pm
I just wanted to say I consider anyone who believes in Christ to be Christian and
even though we have different methods we all share that.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:07 am
XknightkidsX
I just wanted to say I consider anyone who believes in Christ to be Christian and
even though we have different methods we all share that.

This, pretty much. Of course, I believe the Catholics get lots and lots of details wrong (read "Constantine's Sword" and you'll probably see what I mean), but it's human to err. Of course, I'm the first to admit that I probably have some details wrong myself, so I'm really in no position to judge. o.O It's very easy to assume you have all the answers when, really, you don't...  

Rednal

9,150 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

zhiliolia

Greedy Gawker

9,900 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:11 am
VK Fox
zhiliolia
VK Fox
zhiliolia
VK Fox
Short answer? No.

I don't find them to, generally, conduct their services their beliefs and so on according to my understanding of the Bible. Therefore, no. However, they'd say the same about me.

why not? they follow christ.

You can't just say you follow Christ and that that makes you a Christian. I could say I'm a Marine, but that doesn't make it so because the Marine Corps has a standard doctrine and required ways of behaving to be a Marine.

I'll also fight them on Peter not being the first pope, Mary being honored but not more special than any other godly woman, infant baptism, how they don't have a legitimate claim as the first church, and what is required to actually be a Christian. Because the Bible does lay down rules and guidelines, much as your average Joe wishes it didn't.

Let's even go at this. What does it mean to follow Christ? What did He say, what does He want, how did He establish the church that was to come? How should that church look and how does it compare to the Catholic church as it exists today?

have you even been to a catholic mass before? it follows the bible way more than the smaller evangelical churches that use to Bible to back up their prejudices, and then tell people they'll become gods if they have a gazillion wives. and Mary is not worshiped in the Catholic Church. She is just revered highly.

I didn't say worship, did I? Fact is, there are prayers to her which is beyond me. She was nothing more than a willing servant.
Sure, I've been to a Catholic mass. What I found was fairly unnerving and seemed to glorify man and his inventions rather than attempting to glorify God. Little to no time was spent on the Father. Most of it was rambling about saint this and saint that. I've even been stopped and told "Oh, you can't find it? Why don't you pray to Saint (I forget the name)." It's barely not polytheism.

i went to a nondenomination christian mass, and all they did was bash gays, muslims, catholics, and atheists, which I find to be something very against the teachings of Christ which tell us to love everyone, and I will not be a part of that church for that reason.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:05 am
zhiliolia
VK Fox
zhiliolia
VK Fox
zhiliolia
VK Fox
Short answer? No.

I don't find them to, generally, conduct their services their beliefs and so on according to my understanding of the Bible. Therefore, no. However, they'd say the same about me.

why not? they follow christ.

You can't just say you follow Christ and that that makes you a Christian. I could say I'm a Marine, but that doesn't make it so because the Marine Corps has a standard doctrine and required ways of behaving to be a Marine.

I'll also fight them on Peter not being the first pope, Mary being honored but not more special than any other godly woman, infant baptism, how they don't have a legitimate claim as the first church, and what is required to actually be a Christian. Because the Bible does lay down rules and guidelines, much as your average Joe wishes it didn't.

Let's even go at this. What does it mean to follow Christ? What did He say, what does He want, how did He establish the church that was to come? How should that church look and how does it compare to the Catholic church as it exists today?

have you even been to a catholic mass before? it follows the bible way more than the smaller evangelical churches that use to Bible to back up their prejudices, and then tell people they'll become gods if they have a gazillion wives. and Mary is not worshiped in the Catholic Church. She is just revered highly.

I didn't say worship, did I? Fact is, there are prayers to her which is beyond me. She was nothing more than a willing servant.
Sure, I've been to a Catholic mass. What I found was fairly unnerving and seemed to glorify man and his inventions rather than attempting to glorify God. Little to no time was spent on the Father. Most of it was rambling about saint this and saint that. I've even been stopped and told "Oh, you can't find it? Why don't you pray to Saint (I forget the name)." It's barely not polytheism.

i went to a nondenomination christian mass, and all they did was bash gays, muslims, catholics, and atheists, which I find to be something very against the teachings of Christ which tell us to love everyone, and I will not be a part of that church for that reason.

So because they did wrong, Catholics are right? This isn't a thread about the faults of the modern evangelical church, which I also find to be largely unchristian. Besides, are you familiar with the parts of the Bible where we are commanded to preach against sin? What about the part where it says that if you aren't in Christ (Muslims / atheists) you aren't saved? Or that if you choose to continually sin you are lost, even if you were once a part of the body of Christ? Perhaps that was what was being said, and it was misinterpreted as bashing. After all, Christians do have an obligation to confront sin and to try and preach to the lost. That last part is literally one of the very last things Christ said to us before His ascension. Sometimes things are not done out of love and service to Christ, in which case even something beautiful becomes something ugly.

Anyway. Here's what I recommend to you. Read the Bible outside of the lens of the Catholic church. Approach it as the word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit and perfect for instruction in all religious matters. Read the New Testament, start to finish. From that, you should begin to see an idea of what the church was supposed to be. Something small, generally poor, for the people acting out of love to Christ above all else. Not glorifying man and his foolish traditions. Not praying to "saints" (because the Bible says all children of God are saints, not someone deemed to be a sort of super Christian by a man made institution) or Mary. Let's face it. You can't biblically prove that Mary can even hear your prayers. We do know from the scriptures that the Holy Spirit intercedes on our behalf because we are unable to pray.
Way I see it, I God Himself is helping my prayers. Why bother with Mary? She was human, she sinned, and when she died, the Father didn't bring her back to His right hand full of glory. Anyway, I can hop off the Mary thing for the time being.

I don't want you to get a bad flavor of protestant churches entirely. After all, there's a lot of bad taste to be had. We could sit down and pick them apart theologically until we get past the white walls and down to the filthy insides. However, there are churches out there that do everything they can to be compliant with the scriptures as much as they are possible. I've lived in many different parts of the country and there were maybe two churches that I felt comfortable having my family in.

Also, before I forget, let's address another topic.
You can't ignore sin and call it love. That's wrong. You believe in God, yes? So do I. I believe that He is a god of love, and a just god. His justice is the greatest problem that we have in this life. We've all sinned. Can't undo it, can't pretend that it never happened. At some point, we all have to deal with that. Some people look at it, and keep on sinning. Some people look at it and choose to become part of the body of Christ. For me, it was almost three years ago at my baptism in my then girlfriend's now wife's pool. Now, because we know that we have a just god who will condemn sin we find ourselves having to take action. The scriptures say that He will condemn those in sin and outside of the body of Christ. We have to do something about that. Our god loves them, but will eventually come to a point where He will punish. If we love them, as we should, we will address their sin. That can take different forms, whether it be preaching the word, talking with them, or whatever else it is. But if you let them sit in their sin and say or do nothing, you aren't acting out of love. It'll hurt them, it'll hurt their feelings. God knows that when I do something wrong, it hurts. I've betrayed my God, and put His Son on the cross. Because of me, and you, and our friends outside of the body, our Lord hung on a cross. So go ahead, pretend that not telling people that if they don't have Christ and refuse to abandon their sin is love. You know what? It isn't. It's the exact opposite.  

rosadria

zhiliolia

Greedy Gawker

9,900 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:06 am
VK Fox
zhiliolia
VK Fox
zhiliolia
VK Fox

So because they did wrong, Catholics are right? This isn't a thread about the faults of the modern evangelical church, which I also find to be largely unchristian. Besides, are you familiar with the parts of the Bible where we are commanded to preach against sin? What about the part where it says that if you aren't in Christ (Muslims / atheists) you aren't saved? Or that if you choose to continually sin you are lost, even if you were once a part of the body of Christ? Perhaps that was what was being said, and it was misinterpreted as bashing. After all, Christians do have an obligation to confront sin and to try and preach to the lost. That last part is literally one of the very last things Christ said to us before His ascension. Sometimes things are not done out of love and service to Christ, in which case even something beautiful becomes something ugly.

Anyway. Here's what I recommend to you. Read the Bible outside of the lens of the Catholic church. Approach it as the word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit and perfect for instruction in all religious matters. Read the New Testament, start to finish. From that, you should begin to see an idea of what the church was supposed to be. Something small, generally poor, for the people acting out of love to Christ above all else. Not glorifying man and his foolish traditions. Not praying to "saints" (because the Bible says all children of God are saints, not someone deemed to be a sort of super Christian by a man made institution) or Mary. Let's face it. You can't biblically prove that Mary can even hear your prayers. We do know from the scriptures that the Holy Spirit intercedes on our behalf because we are unable to pray.
Way I see it, I God Himself is helping my prayers. Why bother with Mary? She was human, she sinned, and when she died, the Father didn't bring her back to His right hand full of glory. Anyway, I can hop off the Mary thing for the time being.

I don't want you to get a bad flavor of protestant churches entirely. After all, there's a lot of bad taste to be had. We could sit down and pick them apart theologically until we get past the white walls and down to the filthy insides. However, there are churches out there that do everything they can to be compliant with the scriptures as much as they are possible. I've lived in many different parts of the country and there were maybe two churches that I felt comfortable having my family in.

You can't ignore sin and call it love. That's wrong. You believe in God, yes? So do I. I believe that He is a god of love, and a just god. His justice is the greatest problem that we have in this life. We've all sinned. Can't undo it, can't pretend that it never happened. At some point, we all have to deal with that. Some people look at it, and keep on sinning. Some people look at it and choose to become part of the body of Christ. For me, it was almost three years ago at my baptism in my then girlfriend's now wife's pool. Now, because we know that we have a just god who will condemn sin we find ourselves having to take action. The scriptures say that He will condemn those in sin and outside of the body of Christ. We have to do something about that. Our god loves them, but will eventually come to a point where He will punish. If we love them, as we should, we will address their sin. That can take different forms, whether it be preaching the word, talking with them, or whatever else it is. But if you let them sit in their sin and say or do nothing, you aren't acting out of love. It'll hurt them, it'll hurt their feelings. God knows that when I do something wrong, it hurts. I've betrayed my God, and put His Son on the cross. Because of me, and you, and our friends outside of the body, our Lord hung on a cross. So go ahead, pretend that not telling people that if they don't have Christ and refuse to abandon their sin is love. You know what? It isn't. It's the exact opposite.

i aint reading all that  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:20 pm
The term 'Christian' applies to those that believe in Christ- Protestants and Catholics. The Catholics came first, so if anything, we're the rip-offs.  

Ittarius

Noble Traveler

emorhconom esor
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:35 am
Ittarius
The term 'Christian' applies to those that believe in Christ- Protestants and Catholics. The Catholics came first, so if anything, we're the rip-offs.

Rip-offs wouldn't be the best word to use. It's more like reformist due to the Reformation is was brought about the Protestant division. Also Catholics are Christians. If you look at the roots of Christian it means Christ follower. If it wasn't for Catholics we wouldn't have the Bible, historical documents, punant's square, the big bang theory, ect. This is due to the fact that for centuries Catholic monks were the ones that wrote down everything down and were the very few people who could read and write in Europe.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:13 pm
This is actually a very good question. I believe it would be correct to say "yes" or to say "no". To say "yes" because some Catholics I met just seem like really good Christians at heart biggrin and because they can probably be considered a different sect of Christianity. And no, because their doctrine is slightly different than some Christian beliefs.

Over all, I am pretty neutral when it comes to Catholics because I have no place to judge them whether they are right or wrong. However, I believe it's wrong when churches bash Catholics. I was raised in a church and they always bashed Catholics. They didn't bash the Mormons, Jews, Buddhists, or any other religion, but always bashed the Catholics. I never understood it and thought it was rude. When I got married and out of my parents house, I was able to leave that church and don't have to listen to that anymore, so I'm glad. However, we shouldn't worry too much about it ^_^

Here's a verse to remember, too:

Romans 2:1-3
You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things. Now we know that God’s judgment against those who do such things is based on truth. So when you, a mere human being, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God’s judgment?  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

rosadria

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:23 pm
zhiliolia
VK Fox
zhiliolia
VK Fox
zhiliolia
VK Fox

i aint reading all that

If you want to be Catholic, fine. That's up to you, and I won't make that decision for you. Because I can't. Just don't ask questions when you aren't prepared to receive an answer. You've gotten one. What you do with it now is up to you. If you can resolve the problems I've presented, good for you. If you can't, then well, you don't have to answer to me in the next life. But if I were even a little unsure as to whether or not I am a Christian, I'd be doing everything I can to find what's really the truth.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:29 pm
Seems like they worship saints/virgin mary more than Christ. That bothers me. Isn't true for everyone who is catholic. No need to remind me. emotion_donotwant  

Azume-chan

Friendly Elder

9,400 Points
  • Beta Consumer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Contributor 0

Nikolai The Majestic

Shirtless Capitalist

8,675 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:31 pm
Azume-chan
Seems like they worship saints/virgin mary more than Christ. That bothers me. Isn't true for everyone who is catholic. No need to remind me. emotion_donotwant

Asking saints and mary to intercede in prayer is not worship.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:39 pm
Christian: Professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus. 2. Relating to or derived from Jesus or Jesus's teachings.

Catholic Creed: We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all that is seen and unseen. We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, one in being with the Father. Through Him all things were made. For us men and our salvation He came down from heaven: by the power of the Holy Spirit, He was born of the Virgin Mary , and became man. For our sake He was crucified under Pontius Pilate; He suffered, died, and was buried. On the third day He rose again in fulfillment of the scriptures: He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end.

Sounds like professing belief in God and in Jesus to me.  

Nikolai The Majestic

Shirtless Capitalist

8,675 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150

Gregar828

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:17 pm
I'm baffled.......why is this even a question? All protestant churches are derived from the catholic church. If catholics are not christian, how are the protestant religions any more christian?

The protestant religions were not founded because the catholic church's teachings were wrong, they were formed because the higher-ups in the catholic church were all corrupt and money-hungry. Protestants saying the catholic church is not christian is like Alienware splitting off from Dell, then saying that Dell is not a real computer manufacturer. (Yes, Alienware is a branch of Dell)  
Bible and other christian discussions

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff