Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
??????????? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:24 pm
Oh, I have no beef with AV1. It's a handy book, and well put together! The organization of AV2 (for tables and such) gives me a headache.

The BEST use of AV2 IMHO is for classes/builds that were released after AV1 was; you wouldn't find equipment for them (implements, armor, etc) prior to its release, save in the books themselves. Martial Power, Arcane Power, Divine Power, and Player's Handbook 2, primarily. But I try to limit it to weapons, armor, and implements for the most part (as a player, as a DM awarding lootz). Anything beyond that, I try to carefully consider.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:44 pm
You will have to be VERY careful about making all players stick to the most recent versions of rules/powers/items and what you allow here- somethings have been officially "edited" from their initial appearance because they allowed for game breaking exploitations. So when running something inherently competitive as an arena game, there's going to have to be plenty of case-by-case review for games, besides just standard rules.

Also, I as a rule encourage plot and theme in games. Rain's game didn't have much theme, but for a very simple, straightforward coliseum I was impressed at how he clearly had an underlying plot, even if it never got the chance to be developed much.

Just a chance to play characters in situations more lively or interesting than hanging out at the bar between rounds appeals to me a lot. Look into politics and back stabbing in the coliseum owners, or the school's heads, or even in the betting ring or city in general. Bring history into it, what have you.

And theme in general makes things more fun to me. I have a lot more trouble creating a character I feel is lively and appealing to me for a long haul from "D&D world, go" than I do from even something as simple as "steampunk twist on D&D world" or "arabic inspired world" or, heck, anything. Incorporating elements of the Roman coliseums (even if the source of such elements is as simple and silly as "I watched Spartacus and Gladiator") brings it more to life for me.

Also, I'm rambling, so I'll stop more before I further obscure my points.  

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:48 pm
Yep! Natural Disaster was poking their noses in the wrong places, and had an assassin coming after them after their last match! 'Cept, they kind of... lost. Oh well!  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:17 pm
Rain Yupa
Yep! Natural Disaster was poking their noses in the wrong places, and had an assassin coming after them after their last match! 'Cept, they kind of... lost. Oh well!

MAAAAUDKIPP!
Never say die!

Will you be starting new characters at level 1?  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:45 pm
Southern_cross_nemesis
And alright, I am trying to work out a few ideas out in my own head before integrating them. (One of which is a bonus system for getting the massive blob of screaming mindless drows [the crowd] into the fight, like spending a round to get them to scream or cheer for your group... or against the others. I don't know what all I could do with it. I just know in sports, there was an additional rush from just hearing the crowd get into the game as well.) As I said this is my first game, and I want to try a lot of things out.
There is a fairly popular bit from some issue or other of the Dragon Magazine (I think) that has some additional weapons, feats, and rules for arena fighting. I believe it includes such a thing.

If you have teams it might be possible to work it out so that a successful check for it would grant everyone on the team some kind of a +1 for the next round; or next few. Something not big enough to be gamebreaking, but something often enough worth the hassle. Encouraging players to just spice up the action as described, instead of simply listing the abilities used and numbers rolled, wouldn't hurt either.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:50 pm
Three character concepts I will bring to the table if this happens:

ULTRAGNOME! The toughest Gnome... IN THE WORLD!

A yet unnamed two-spear ranger, because it's ascetically awesome and silly at the same time.

A blaster wizard that I've used in competitive games in the past. Also, mad with power. To the point where I have disturbed other games with my insane cackling.

Though I reserve the right to change my mind of course, depending on what other people use. And/or I'm forced to make a character before I get home to my books.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:01 pm
Psychofish
Southern_cross_nemesis
And alright, I am trying to work out a few ideas out in my own head before integrating them. (One of which is a bonus system for getting the massive blob of screaming mindless drows [the crowd] into the fight, like spending a round to get them to scream or cheer for your group... or against the others. I don't know what all I could do with it. I just know in sports, there was an additional rush from just hearing the crowd get into the game as well.) As I said this is my first game, and I want to try a lot of things out.
There is a fairly popular bit from some issue or other of the Dragon Magazine (I think) that has some additional weapons, feats, and rules for arena fighting. I believe it includes such a thing.

There was a huge article or series of articles in Dragon, and it was compiled in the Dragon Annual. Also of note is the Arena Fighter build from Dark Sun.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:23 pm
Arc Vembris
Yeah

Psychofish: I am currently working out a small story of some kind... it isn't much. And to be honest Gladiator is the reason I wanted to see about running a coliseum game....  

Southern Cross Nemesis
Vice Captain

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:43 pm
Southern_cross_nemesis
Arc Vembris
Yeah

Psychofish: I am currently working out a small story of some kind... it isn't much. And to be honest Gladiator is the reason I wanted to see about running a coliseum game....

I ask partly because Coliseum started us at 5th

I'm thinking I'll play a warlord. Which race has better options for Warloard, Eladrin or Genasi? I know Genasi have better stats for it, but what about feat support?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:35 pm
I haven't checked the feats in so long, I'm not sure. Hmm.

I do remember I'd wanted to make a eladrin grappling fighter before though. Not a lot of synergy between grappling and the eladrin, but the idea of teleporting 5 squares to snag something unsuspecting appeals to me.  

Psychofish

Dedicated Loiterer

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:25 pm
So is this a thing that is happening?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:59 pm
Psychofish
I do remember I'd wanted to make a eladrin grappling fighter before though. Not a lot of synergy between grappling and the eladrin, but the idea of teleporting 5 squares to snag something unsuspecting appeals to me.

The WORST wedgies.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:38 pm
Arc Vembris
Southern_cross_nemesis
Arc Vembris
Yeah

I ask partly because Coliseum started us at 5th

I'm thinking I'll play a warlord. Which race has better options for Warloard, Eladrin or Genasi? I know Genasi have better stats for it, but what about feat support?
I understand eladrin inspiring warlords were a Char Op wet dream at one point. heals and attacks out the wazzoo if i remember the concept correctly.

also i'm not sure if i want to finally whip out the halfling velociraptor rider i've had in the back of my head for this, or if i want to try and convince people that an all-fighter party is a great idea (which it is).  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff