Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Advice ~ because we care
Tithing. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Blaise-Ingram

Dangerous Firestarter

8,200 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Informer 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:39 am
Pretty sure God cares more that you give him your soul and love, rather than money.
People can give hundreds of thousands of dollars to the church if they want, but it doesn't magically make them a better person. If you get too caught up in all the little nuances of the Law (and there are a lot of them), people often times forget about the bigger picture.

Not saying tithing is bad or anything, but I just thought it was worth the reminder here for all the regular church-goers that it shouldn't be as big of a priority as salvation/works/participating in all the other things that Jesus taught that make Christianity what it is.

Also, tithing doesn't guarantee monetary (or even physical-world related blessings in general) blessings in return. Millions of poor people go to church and surely give their tithes, but will still die poor. Millions all over the world will still die diseased, miserable, starving, and poor.
So what I'm saying is, regardless of whether you make your tithes or not at church, love God, love Jesus, do his good works in his footsteps. That's what really matters.

And as for that comment someone posted about giving God 10%, why only 10 percent? Why not 50%? Or 100%? Not to be rude, but giving God only 10% when He gives us literally 100+% seems kind of cheap on mankind's part. Just saying.

That's just my two cents... So to speak.
(I made a pun, haha)

Also I am starving and poor (and sleep deprived) as well, so that's why I figured I'd share my opinion. Just so people don't think I'm some rich person trying to oppress the poor or whateverhaveyou. And so people don't think I'm coldhearted for saying the things I did above; only saying them because that's what I've seen and that's where I'm at right now.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:45 pm
I only tithe if I truly support the church I am going to with my whole heart, same goes for any other organization. If they are doing what's right by God and I feel that I should tithe then I will do so. However, if I'm new to a church and am not sure if I support everything 100% and am getting used to things, I prefer to tithe later.

I honestly think that tithing is a personal decision - not a mandatory one. It is good to tithe, but make sure you give that donation to a place that you support completely because they are doing God's will.

God blesses those that keep their tithe and tithe amount as secretive as they can. Of course if a church hands a collection plate around, you can put money in it - but make sure not to brag about how much you give because that will be your reward and God won't reward you for seeking man's attention rather than His. This can be found in the book of Matthew smile I know that when tithing - some people would fold dollar bills in order to hide the amount that they are giving or to put a $1 bill around a $20 bill - creative things like that to keep it secretive.

What upsets me is that a lot of churches out there only seem to be in it for the money - that is why we should question the spirit before we tithe - because we want it to go towards the right reasons. I remember being at a church potluck and some men were in the garage of the house - chatting. A few of us overheard them saying how much that they give to the church and bragging about it amongst themselves. I got upset because I knew some people in there and when I talked to one of the individuals I knew about it - they denied the entire thing because they knew it was wrong and did it anyway. It broke my heart that they saw tithing as a game to who can donate the most in a month. There was more to the story that was upsetting, but that's the main aspect of it.  

Aquatic_blue

Chatty Conversationalist

9,800 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Partygoer 500

Woodlyn Fairee

Blessed Member

10,100 Points
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Noble Shade 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:17 pm
x_StrawberrySparkles
I hope that's spelled right. Alright, well, my grandmother was watching a show last night and I was in the room, so I ended up listening in. The preacher was talking about tithing and how everyone must do so.
He was saying that even if you're broke you should be giving back to God because by doing so, he will bless you and that you will not be broke for long, because he will help you.
I'm seventeen, I don't have a job and I can't get one. I do get a twenty or a five thrown at me for food and stuff from my parents, but I don't earn anything daily, or weekly.
I want the blessing that God can give, and of course I want to give but what if I don't have enough?
This has been on my mind for a few days now and I'd like to hear what you all have to say.

Should I be giving to the church and tithing as well?

The Bible does talk about and does teach tithing, this is true.
But the Bible says to tithe the first fruits of your labors or your very best in laymens terms, and as it was explained to me by a very well respected spiritual mentor that you can tithe more than just money.
Yes, the church does need financial tithes to sustain itself as in keep the water and the lights on and to pay the pastor and other staff members of the church but did you know that your time and also your prayers can be construed as tithing?
That's right.
Your time and energy when the church has a clean up day,
or when they need someone in the nursery to help watch and keep the parents kids during the main service that is going on, or even mowing the lawn to mopping the floors, to vaccumming the santuary and dusting the window sills.
As for your prayer time being called in the way of tithing, your church probably has a prayer request list or maybe while your sitting in the service and your pastor asks if there is anyone with unspoken prayer requests.
Being one of God's prayer warriors counts as well as if you were to throw a five or ten or a hundred dollar bill in the plate is what I was told at a time when I was not working and was living at home and QUOTE 'getting charity' UNQUOTE from my parents and from the occassional babysitting job.
I had the same questions about tithing, and I asked an old retired pastor at my church in regards to this much like you have.
What I told you is what he told me and that "In everything that you do, you do it for the glory of the Lord!"

So, there you go. Tithing is important to running a church.
Whether it is financial tithing or prayer or witnessing and inviting others to come to church or a youth event, or just helping out in the nursery or a Bible study class teaching it or helping out in vacation Bible school classes.

Tithing to the Lord is all these things and so much more, it is part of your Christian duty to tithe, in all ways and in all the things that you do, you give your very best to the Lord!

Christian Huggles,
~Lyn~
heart  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:56 pm
I have always had issue with modern tithing, far too many reasons to actually get into with here. Too often Churches and "Christians" hear it and instantly think monetary means and far too often it is said "It's a Christians duty", with such things I simply can not agree...when too often the church and the "christians" are so far off Christ's true path.  

Father Delacroix

Perfect Knight

manticore has left

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:35 pm
Father Delacroix
I have always had issue with modern tithing, far too many reasons to actually get into with here. Too often Churches and "Christians" hear it and instantly think monetary means and far too often it is said "It's a Christians duty", with such things I simply can not agree...when too often the church and the "christians" are so far off Christ's true path.

Why not explain where you're coming from? I'd think it'd be beneficial to know how to tithe while still being on "Christ's true path", as you put it.  
Advice ~ because we care

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff