Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:04 pm
Savage Destiny
I use Bark 2 Basics and Nature's Choice. Biodegradable, sulfate and lanolin free. smile

I have mixed feelings on Earthbath. I love their grooming wipes, I go through boxes of the things, but I'm not sold on their shampoos. We tried the tearless puppy one (the cherry smell is HEAVENLY), and used them on a friend's two small dogs. We bathed them in the same tub, using only the "tearless" puppy... well, the Chi shook and got some shampoo foam onto the Pom's face, right near his eye. We rinsed it off right away, but it still made his eye swell shut for about four days.

And that's their tearless shampoo.

Maybe that dog had an allergy to something in the shampoo? I want to try the orange oil shampoo this summer and see if it keeps the bugs off Cowboy.

At my work we rent out our grooming room all the time except saturdays. We let the client choose the shampoo and then dilute it for them. The earth bath is the most popular, although we don't carry the others you mentioned. We do carry biogroom, hemp, and all the other "natural" products. 90% of the clients choose earth bath. No one has ever had an issue with it.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:49 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Savage Destiny
I use Bark 2 Basics and Nature's Choice. Biodegradable, sulfate and lanolin free. smile

I have mixed feelings on Earthbath. I love their grooming wipes, I go through boxes of the things, but I'm not sold on their shampoos. We tried the tearless puppy one (the cherry smell is HEAVENLY), and used them on a friend's two small dogs. We bathed them in the same tub, using only the "tearless" puppy... well, the Chi shook and got some shampoo foam onto the Pom's face, right near his eye. We rinsed it off right away, but it still made his eye swell shut for about four days.

And that's their tearless shampoo.

Maybe that dog had an allergy to something in the shampoo? I want to try the orange oil shampoo this summer and see if it keeps the bugs off Cowboy.

At my work we rent out our grooming room all the time except saturdays. We let the client choose the shampoo and then dilute it for them. The earth bath is the most popular, although we don't carry the others you mentioned. We do carry biogroom, hemp, and all the other "natural" products. 90% of the clients choose earth bath. No one has ever had an issue with it.

I'm in a little city in Ontario, we FINALLY just got a Gobal Pet Foods here, previously I would make the drive just to buy Earthbath shampoo's, I love the product that much. The groomer would use them but never sold them.

I have used Hemp and other natural shampoos but I never got the same results as I did with the Earthbath. In the many dogs I bathed through being in a groomers I did not encounter one problem with the product lines. There could have easily been dirt/debris in the suds from the other dog that ended up in the eye to cause irritation, or even a reaction to the fragrance is a possibility. I wouldn't dismiss a whole brand over one experience.  

- Vet Tech - 2011

imderanged

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:36 am
@ Savage> that is the first negative thing I have heard about Earthbath! I'm sure what you are using now is very good too so if you are happy there is no reason to switch back to Earthbath, but I suspect the dog must have gotten a decent sized dose of undiluted shampoo in it's eye to cause that sort of reaction... when they say "tearless" they don't mean you SHOULD rub it in your eye, LOL. I bet if I took J&J baby shampoo and squirted it directly in my eye it would still sting! I think ANY shampoo could cause problems under the right circumstances.

PS to those of you using or thinking of using the Orange Peel Earthbath..I noticed it says NOT FOR CATS on the label. I'm not sure why?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:13 am
imderanged

PS to those of you using or thinking of using the Orange Peel Earthbath..I noticed it says NOT FOR CATS on the label. I'm not sure why?

It's because a very small percentage of cats are allergic to orange peel oil, the natural extract of orange rinds in the shampoo. Although this allergy is quite rare, it can be acute and is best not risked so they placed a "DO NOT USE" on the label of that shampoo and they are an excellent company for doing so.  

- Vet Tech - 2011

imderanged

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:15 pm
- Vet Tech - 2011
imderanged

It's because a very small percentage of cats are allergic to orange peel oil, the natural extract of orange rinds in the shampoo. Although this allergy is quite rare, it can be acute and is best not risked so they placed a "DO NOT USE" on the label of that shampoo and they are an excellent company for doing so.

Thanks for letting me know. I had been thinking of using the shampoo on my brothers cat who is having some issues with her coat, but then I noticed the warning on the label. My mother had some "medicated" shampoo lying around she told me to use, but the one is Ketocondizol (sp?) and I have no reason to believe she had a fungal infection. The other shampoo is a tar and peroxide shampoo. Her main issue is hair loss, but she does have a few scabs here and there.The last time this happened the vet thought it could be a flea allergy. We already treated her for fleas (frontline) and changed her food to something healthier (recently, so it's not a surprise her coat isn't perfect yet). I think we are better off just getting something like the Earthbath in an oatmeal or aloe etc, but my mom thinks I should use the tar/ peroxide shampoo. It does say it can be used on cats. What do you think? Do you know if that has any side effects?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:35 pm
imderanged
- Vet Tech - 2011
imderanged

Thanks for letting me know. I had been thinking of using the shampoo on my brothers cat who is having some issues with her coat, but then I noticed the warning on the label. My mother had some "medicated" shampoo lying around she told me to use, but the one is Ketocondizol (sp?) and I have no reason to believe she had a fungal infection. The other shampoo is a tar and peroxide shampoo. Her main issue is hair loss, but she does have a few scabs here and there.The last time this happened the vet thought it could be a flea allergy. We already treated her for fleas (frontline) and changed her food to something healthier (recently, so it's not a surprise her coat isn't perfect yet). I think we are better off just getting something like the Earthbath in an oatmeal or aloe etc, but my mom thinks I should use the tar/ peroxide shampoo. It does say it can be used on cats. What do you think? Do you know if that has any side effects?

I think if my cat had skin problems I would probably use my soap on her. It's a home made goat milk soap with only like 5 ingredients. Does wonders on this small patch of dry discolored skin I've had on my leg for years. It's finally starting to go away. Tar and peroxide sounds kinda harsh to me.  

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx

Angelic Vampire

17,900 Points
  • Team Peyo 25
  • That One Hero 500
  • Super Jumper 500
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:12 pm
imderanged
- Vet Tech - 2011
imderanged

I would use something gentle on the cat. Hair loss on a cat can be caused from stress and using something harsh like that on her can cause her to get really stressed. I use baby shampoo on my cats and one of my cats has a skin problem and it does wonders on her.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:47 pm
Peroxide is harsh and cell toxic, and tar is a de-greasing, antipruitic and keratolytic/keratoplastic but tar shampoos as a general rule are avoided in cats. So I would not recommend using that shampoo.

I would also avoid using human soaps, or shampoos, even baby shampoos. Even baby shampoos are not pH balanced for use in pets, especially one with sensitive skin or skin problems. Soap can be especially drying to a pet's skin and leave residue in the fur, causing itching and dandruff. Soap is also more likely to wash off any topical flea preparations that are used on your pet.

I would recommend using an aloe vera/oatmeal or hypoallergenic shampoo. I'm an Earthbath fan because of the results I have seen with it, but it doesn't have to be an Earthbath brand so long as it's formulated and pH balanced for pets. You can also dilute the shampoo with water to aid in any irritation, and prevent any residue from being left in the fur.

Without seeing the animal myself I can't give you any ideas on what the problem could be. I too would think flea allergy. Has any further testing been done with your vet (ie skin scraping?) I can't make too many comments on Frontline because it's not available in Canada, so I'm not as educated on it as a flea control product as I am Revolution or Advantage. I would recommend a flea control product that not only enters the blood stream but covers the skin and to provide whole body coverage that can impair the nervous system of the flea without the flea actually biting the animal. I know Bayer's Advantage products are effective in this way, and a recent talk from Pfizer on Revolution that both products seem to have this effectiveness which is more benefitial for pets with flea allergy dermatitis. However, Frontline, I'm not 100% sure because it's not approved for use in Canada.  

- Vet Tech - 2011

imderanged

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:24 pm
- Vet Tech - 2011
Peroxide is harsh and cell toxic, and tar is a de-greasing, antipruitic and keratolytic/keratoplastic but tar shampoos as a general rule are avoided in cats. So I would not recommend using that shampoo.

I would also avoid using human soaps, or shampoos, even baby shampoos. Even baby shampoos are not pH balanced for use in pets, especially one with sensitive skin or skin problems. Soap can be especially drying to a pet's skin and leave residue in the fur, causing itching and dandruff. Soap is also more likely to wash off any topical flea preparations that are used on your pet.

I would recommend using an aloe vera/oatmeal or hypoallergenic shampoo. I'm an Earthbath fan because of the results I have seen with it, but it doesn't have to be an Earthbath brand so long as it's formulated and pH balanced for pets. You can also dilute the shampoo with water to aid in any irritation, and prevent any residue from being left in the fur.

Without seeing the animal myself I can't give you any ideas on what the problem could be. I too would think flea allergy. Has any further testing been done with your vet (ie skin scraping?) I can't make too many comments on Frontline because it's not available in Canada, so I'm not as educated on it as a flea control product as I am Revolution or Advantage. I would recommend a flea control product that not only enters the blood stream but covers the skin and to provide whole body coverage that can impair the nervous system of the flea without the flea actually biting the animal. I know Bayer's Advantage products are effective in this way, and a recent talk from Pfizer on Revolution that both products seem to have this effectiveness which is more benefitial for pets with flea allergy dermatitis. However, Frontline, I'm not 100% sure because it's not approved for use in Canada.

You pretty much reinforced my opinion on the shampoo issue. She's my brothers cat but I don't mind buying the Earthbath shampoo for her and giving her a bath. As far as the skin issues go....She has been to the vet, but I was not there... as I said I am somewhat involved because I live in the same household & my opinions are generally respected, but she is not my cat. I was told the vets did bloodwork, and ruled out issues such as diabetes and thyroid disorders. I am not sure if they did a skin scraping. I know the last time she was at the vets, she had tape worms (I know because I was the one who discovered the worms & told my brother to take her to the vet) and was treated for them.She had some hair loss a while ago and the vet thought it was a flea allergy so she was treated for fleas and it seemed to improve, but not clear up completely. Then recently we noticed her coat was getting much worse again. She has a area of thinning hair running down her spine. I looked her over and didn't notice a lot of scabs, just a few under her chin. After talking with my brother about it, I found out he had switched her food from Blue Buffalo to Friskies after he lost his job. We began to suspect she was having a reaction to the cheap food, and began feeding her Wellness. To my eye she looks a little better, but her coat is still very poor. But it has not been that long since we switched her food yet, maybe less than a month. I'm willing to do whatever I can to help out, but I can't make all the decisions myself, because she's not my cat.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:56 pm
- Vet Tech - 2011

It specifically says in my notes NOT to use tar shampoos on cats. I think a kitten/puppy shampoo would be a good choice, and again, I recommend earth bath.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

- Vet Tech - 2011

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:08 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
- Vet Tech - 2011

It specifically says in my notes NOT to use tar shampoos on cats. I think a kitten/puppy shampoo would be a good choice, and again, I recommend earth bath.

I wish I could find my notes from that long ago, they are in a box ... somewhere ... but I do recall that it's a general rule to not use a tar shampoo on cats. I'm confused as to why the label would say it could be but it's my recommendation to avoid it. I 100% agree with you.

There was a little saying one of my professors had to remember not to use tar on cats, it had something to do with rats ... I wish I could remember what it was.

If she has just been switched to a new diet, I would give it a few months before investigating further with the vet. Wellness is a good brand, and if it's a food allergy, it should improve the situation and in combination with a soothing bath it will be beneficial.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:32 pm
Thanks you guys, I got the hypoallergenic Earthbath shampoo today and will give her a bath probably tomorrow. I also bought her some special healthy treats w/out any grains to replace the "whiskas" (full of corn meal) my brother had for her. Hopefully she likes them as much as her "Junk Food" LOL.  

imderanged

CrissAngelLover12345

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:32 pm
imderanged
Thanks you guys, I got the hypoallergenic Earthbath shampoo today and will give her a bath probably tomorrow. I also bought her some special healthy treats w/out any grains to replace the "whiskas" (full of corn meal) my brother had for her. Hopefully she likes them as much as her "Junk Food" LOL.

I hope she gets better.

I'm going to try out Earthbath sometime soon. After seeing so many suggestions for it, I looked it up and like it already, and I haven't gotten any yet! biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:54 pm
The price, depends on where exactly you go and what you need. Of course, I can say Walgreens and what not is very crappy, but then again, it's affordable. For example, my dog at my mom and dads, had to go to the vet. It needed a certain food since he's getting old, and it'll help with his ears and all (He has like chronic ear infection I think the doctor said and stiff bones). At Mounds, it was $13 for a small bag. And I got into a fight with some lady because her dog nearly bit me too, and the only reason I didn't yell back, was because my niece was there. Then Petsmart, for a BIG bag, it was only like $12. So as I said, it depends on where you go and what you need. And yes, it WAS different brands, but it was much more affordable.  

merpderp19974

Shirtless Lunatic

12,125 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Nerd 50

LuvByrd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:10 pm
Eizoryu
Holy mother of God that's way too expensive for dog shampoo. o.O Hell, that's expensive for any kind of cosmetic thing other than perfume, IMHO.

We just use Oster's oatmeal formula and don't really have an issue. Maybe ~$5-9? Lucy's not outside enough to warrant it, doesn't really have dry skin, and she's not a hunter and will prolly never be skunked, so... Yeah. No reason, though I have considered having her groomed to take advantage of a Top Dog addon at work and maybe put a stopper on all this shedding she does. White Citrus is the scent this go-around.

I work in their grooming salon, and oh my goodness that white citrus smell is amazing. I noticed that the shampoo I use costs less than the cheapest one petsmart carries.... >.< I was there when a customer brought in and used Bouce's hypoallergenic 'Calypso' scented shampoo - it smelled really good for being labeled hypoallergenic, and the groomer who used it said it worked really nicely. I've had a couple clients bring in one from Cloud Star called Buddy Wash. I don't remember all the ingredients, but they were very minimal, and I believe all natural, and it smelled so good.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff