Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
The State of Planescape Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:15 pm
Arc Vembris
Psionic Power holds a sidebar that suggests the potential existence of Modrons, which is more than 3e did for them(outside of an April Fool's issue of Dragon)
ctrl + f modron

more on-topic, the only thing they've done to recreate planescape in 4e is a nearly page-long sidebar on recreating the great wheel cosmology, in the manual of the planes, and detailing Sigil in the MotP and DMG2. that's pretty much it.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Mm...I'd consider it knowing myself well enough to stop letting the Game companies tell me what I want. Do I want a new Sigil for the 4th Edition system? No. I do not.I do not feel that many of the mechanics that made the entire Planescape supplement unique are present in the 4th Edition system. Therefore, as they have created a new Cosmology, they are more than welcome to spend their money, time, and imagination constructing a new method similar to what Sigil did in 2nd Edition. I feel that everyone would have been better served if they had chosen to create background material in line with their new product instead of trying to rehash old characters in a manner that fits into their new system.

If an individual wished to create his own Sigil for 4th Edition on a private basis, I may or may not comment, but I would respect them for their desire to make the attempt.  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:19 pm
Arc Vembris
I always thought of the new cosmology as the Great BLT, rather than a Wheel. Or a burrito.

Am I correct in understanding that your beef is the idea of 4e marketing itself to oldbies by referencing its rich history after having gutted the sacred cows of the game in forging a new system? It seems to be a semi-contradictory action on their part, but isn't your reaction contradictory as well? You're decrying their changes and pleading for something new, unless I'm reading you wrong.

I think Keith's point was that while the cosmology has changed, Sigil is still largely the same(as mutable as Sigil is initially) and many of the hot locations of the Wheel are still present within the Great BLT. To me the only real difference is the removal of alignment as a motivating and organizing factor within the planes. Well, I can think of a few other distinctions:
~The Rule of Three is still present, although it takes a different definition
~the planes can still be shaped by will, but only in the Elemental Chaos
~dead souls don't travel to the assorted planes, but to the Shadowfell
~and Yugoloths are demons, which legend holds is what they were initially

Psionic Power holds a sidebar that suggests the potential existence of Modrons, which is more than 3e did for them(outside of an April Fool's issue of Dragon)
Weren't Modrons the species living in Mechanus?  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:22 pm
Plainsfox
Mm...I'd consider it knowing myself well enough to stop letting the Game companies tell me what I want. Do I want a new Sigil for the 4th Edition system? No. I do not.I do not feel that many of the mechanics that made the entire Planescape supplement unique are present in the 4th Edition system. Therefore, as they have created a new Cosmology, they are more than welcome to spend their money, time, and imagination constructing a new method similar to what Sigil did in 2nd Edition. I feel that everyone would have been better served if they had chosen to create background material in line with their new product instead of trying to rehash old characters in a manner that fits into their new system.

If an individual wished to create his own Sigil for 4th Edition on a private basis, I may or may not comment, but I would respect them for their desire to make the attempt.

I'm not following you. Are you saying that without the specific mechanics of prior editions, Sigil is Sigil in name only? If so, what is the method similar to what Sigil did in 2e in your opinion?

Modrons were indeed a species living in Mechanus, formerly Nirvana as it was called before being rewritten in another edition change. They are credited with being the token creatures of the LN plane, much as Demons are CE and Devils LE.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas