Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
[4e Eberron] City of Towers NO LONGER calls for heroes! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:29 pm
Alzzak
what one would be better for a cleric to get early; Defensive Grace or Defensive Healing Word?

I am kind of new to 4e and to me. these two look identical isk. Also is their different gods in Eberron? Cause I am looking for one to go with my character.

What I have already

If you are doing healbot, I would say Defensive Healing Word. Make you better at healing.

If you're doing more than just healing, Defensive Grace might take better. A dead cleric is a useless cleric.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:52 pm
Yes, there are different religions in Eberron  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Alzzak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:16 pm
Is there even a point to playing a small race in 4e. I was only wondering cause I am thinking about changing my race, I didn't want to play another human. And it looks like small races got shafted in 4e.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:24 pm
Why would you say that? A halfling or gnome with a Battleaxe, Flail, or Warhammer hits just as frequently and for as much damage as any medium-sized humanoid with a Halberd or Longspear.

And size does not matter in the least when doing non-weapon attacks, such as with spells and prayers.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Alzzak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:44 pm
I was going to play one any way, and maybe shafted is the wrong word, Confusing, maybe? I mean both of them have a plus in charisma and look like they was built for the warlock class.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:06 pm
Alzzak
I was going to play one any way, and maybe shafted is the wrong word, Confusing, maybe? I mean both of them have a plus in charisma and look like they was built for the warlock class.
actually halflings are probably better off as rogues. also, the essentials makeover gave them a bonus to dex and either cha or con, so a little more variety there.  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Alzzak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:12 pm
SporkMaster5000
Alzzak
actually halflings are probably better off as rogues. also, the essentials makeover gave them a bonus to dex and either cha or con, so a little more variety there.
The con bonus, at least sounds Halfling ish. Like the ones I knew in 3.x.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:30 pm
It was gnomes in 3e that had a con bonus.

Small races have less of an incentive to be stealthy classes than they did in 3e, but they have more incentive to be weapon-users than they did before. Really the point of being a halfling or gnome is the same as the point of being any other race, just whatever looks good or is fun.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:37 pm
Arc Vembris
It was gnomes in 3e that had a con bonus.

Small races have less of an incentive to be stealthy classes than they did in 3e, but they have more incentive to be weapon-users than they did before. Really the point of being a halfling or gnome is the same as the point of being any other race, just whatever looks good or is fun.
QFT.

At least you won't have to worry too much about carrying capacity/damage output, since you don't have a -2 to Str for being small. Now, you get to be small and whack people just as hard as that Human or Tiefling. At the very least, a Halfling Cleric would make for some d'aww moments.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:47 pm
Where that was true about the con, bonus the gnome was pegged more of a caster than the halfling, which was one of 3.x things I never fully understood. They even state that the gnome was more of a stay put and have fun kind, a trickster. Where the halfling dealt with dangers of being a nomadic tribe.

Ether way, How is this? Alistair Quinn Is their anything I am missing?  

Alzzak

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:26 pm
I like your choice of powers biggrin Either way, I'm happy there's another divine player joining us. I'm playing a divine as well :3  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:36 am
I like the build too.

You're missing your class bonus to defenses, clerics get +2 to will. Your languages are also missing.

Could you cite your sources for your feats and powers? I like to know whether I'm checking DP or PHB.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Alzzak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:50 am
Yay, I did something right for my first character in 4e. biggrin

Though, it is still weird to be labeled as a leader. Even if it just means, that I am the healer of the group.

Ether way, I have done what you said was missing, Arc. Also, I put the two feats down at the bottom in the notes section. A bit easier to look up that way. Is their anything else needed?

Also, I am confused, In 4e do they allow 'double dipping' for a bonus? I ask cause I was looking at some of the other feats and just trying to get a better understanding of the game and plan my character out. When I came a crossed Beatific Healer which add your Charisma modifier to divine healing. Well, Pacifist Healer does the same thing only better, in my option . So, does that mean that at level 21 I can take 2x charisma modifier? I know level 21 is a long way off, but I was just wondering, just in case I come a crossed something similar.

Beatific Healer
Prerequisite: 21st level, cleric, trained in Heal
Benefit: When you use a divine healing power, add your Charisma modifier to the hit points the recipient regains.

Pacifist Healer
Prerequisite: Cleric
Benefit: When you use a divine power that allows a target to spend a healing surge, the target regains additional hit points equal to 1d6 + your Charisma
modifier.
The additional hit points increase to 2d6 + your Charisma modifier at 11th level, and to 3d6 + your Charisma modifier at 21st level.
Also, whenever you deal damage to a bloodied enemy, you are stunned until the end of your next turn.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:00 am
Alzzak
Yay, I did something right for my first character in 4e. biggrin

Though, it is still weird to be labeled as a leader. Even if it just means, that I am the healer of the group.

Ether way, I have done what you said was missing, Arc. Also, I put the two feats down at the bottom in the notes section. A bit easier to look up that way. Is their anything else needed?

Also, I am confused, In 4e do they allow 'double dipping' for a bonus? I ask cause I was looking at some of the other feats and just trying to get a better understanding of the game and plan my character out. When I came a crossed Beatific Healer which add your Charisma modifier to divine healing. Well, Pacifist Healer does the same thing only better, in my option . So, does that mean that at level 21 I can take 2x charisma modifier? I know level 21 is a long way off, but I was just wondering, just in case I come a crossed something similar.

Beatific Healer
Prerequisite: 21st level, cleric, trained in Heal
Benefit: When you use a divine healing power, add your Charisma modifier to the hit points the recipient regains.

Pacifist Healer
Prerequisite: Cleric
Benefit: When you use a divine power that allows a target to spend a healing surge, the target regains additional hit points equal to 1d6 + your Charisma
modifier.
The additional hit points increase to 2d6 + your Charisma modifier at 11th level, and to 3d6 + your Charisma modifier at 21st level.
Also, whenever you deal damage to a bloodied enemy, you are stunned until the end of your next turn.
yes, you can add both. the only time bonuses don't stack is if they are explicitly of the same type (that is if two feats both add a "feat bonus" to something, you have to pick one)  

SporkMaster5000
Crew

Invisible Citizen

10,000 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:42 am
You're not just a helaer, but with your build in particular you're a buffer and debuffer. When you dole out conditional buffs like "Friends, get a bonus to attack that guy, this round" it goes a way toward leading their actions. There's no real mandate to actually be in charge.

As for those feats, what Spork said, you can add your cha bonus as many times as your feats and powers allow, jsut so logn as they don't create two bonuses of the same time. Some feats might read that you add a feat bonus equal to the value of your cha bonus, which would slow you down should you gain another feat bonus to the same thing.

Some thing I'll point out about the feats though: Pacifist Healer stuns you for dealing damage to a bloodied guy, so that's nothing to sneeze at. Plus it only works on healing powers that spend the target's surge, which is many healing powers but not all of them. Luckily, or I should say cleverly, it rewards your build and you have non-damaging powers to stay effective in battle.

You've got crap for defenses though, so you'll definitely wanna hide near the back, behind your sturdy chain-clad controller.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff