Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
D&D 3.5 Heaven's Fall Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:56 am
What about having an Animal Companion?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:32 pm
So... who wants to see me make a kobold who runs around, ferally leaping on people to attack with his claws?  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:18 pm
Raganui Minamoto
So... who wants to see me make a kobold who runs around, ferally leaping on people to attack with his claws?
Not me. No offense, but I never really liked monster races as playable.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:16 pm
I say go for it. I'm working on a summoner->Malconvoker
So... the only thing I'm looking at is "Domain Access" from C.Champion. Which, although is at 5th level, could help me greatly.
I'd also like to take Rapid and Enhanced Summoning from UA, but... That's more of a Wizardry replacement.  

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:04 pm
I hope the build I'm working towards ends up being fun, not necessarily powerful or whatever, but fun. I'm hoping the DM also allows me to MC into Racial Paragon classes, those could help me some. I've been spending more than I thought on making this char, due to the weird point-buy rules of spending more points when going past 14 on a score.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:56 pm
It's really not that weird once you get used to it.

I'm not aiming for CharOp. I usually don't go for summoner-types. I'm usually the kind to say "you feel weak, and soon you will die without harming my allies."
Now I'll be saying "You are outnumbered, and soon you shall die!"
All without casting a single Fireball.  

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:37 am
Seph Baelzara
It's really not that weird once you get used to it.

I'm not aiming for CharOp. I usually don't go for summoner-types. I'm usually the kind to say "you feel weak, and soon you will die without harming my allies."
Now I'll be saying "You are outnumbered, and soon you shall die!"
All without casting a single Fireball.
It's only weird in the sense that you spend more than 1 point past 14 on a score :/

And I'm not going for CharOp either, just picking fun s**t. I don't think I'm taking a single PrC, MAYBE Duelist if I ever meet the retarded Prereqs. But Racial Paragon classes seem very fun, since all they do is boost your racial abilities and give you an ability score boost. It's a chance for my character to say "I'M MORE ELF THAN YOU ARE!" to another elf razz

I have 3 more feats to choose from though... decisions, decisions.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:15 am
Toughness x3
/Joking

Seriously, what'cha got so far?
Class, and feat-wise, that is.  

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:23 am
Seph Baelzara
Toughness x3
/Joking

Thalion the Intermediate Fey-blooded Fire Elf.

Only feat I got so far is Weapon Finesse. I will probably take Weapon Focus (Rapier), Two Weapon Fighting and Two Weapon Defense as my remaining feats.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:42 am
Raganui Minamoto
Well, for one, trying to decide what I can do about that Light Sensitivity. It hurts. Especially since not all kobolds live in deep caves.

Second, the biggest balance I've seen in the colored kobold system in Pathfinder. They gain a breath weapon based on color, but it's always d8 (never improves) and only a 15 foot line or cone (choose each time you breathe), and some minor bonus. Unfortunately, Light Sensitivity still makes the kobold nearly useless in any surface game.

The only other thing would be like, a claw attack.
Well, Earth Kobolds give you -2 Str instead of -4 Str, which is pretty kickass. You might also wanna check the desert Kobold, which loses the light sensitivity but keeps the -4 Str.

Either way, the Light Sensitivity thing is balanced out by the Kobold's small bonuses, since they get +1 to attack but get -1 to attacks cause they're dazzled. Either way, doesn't the dazzle last a turn or so?  

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:16 pm
Actually, the daze doesn't balance out the small size. Gnomes and Halflings get far more for their LA and they're a CORE RACE.
LA +0

Let's compare for a moment, shall we? I'll take just the basic of the races, no elemental or environmental race.
Straight from the Player's Handbook and MMI

Kobold
-4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution.
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Racial Skills: A kobold character has a +2 racial bonus on Craft (trapmaking), Profession (miner), and Search checks.
+1 natural armor bonus.
Special Qualities (see above): Light sensitivity.
Automatic Languages: Draconic. Bonus Languages: Common, Undercommon.
Favored Class: Sorcerer.

So we have a total of -4 racial mods, some help in normal darkness, a boost to NA, and a necessity to get at least a 12 in Int for any of the core races to understand it. Yeoch.

Gnome
+2 Constitution, -2 Strength.
Low-Light Vision: A gnome can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Weapon Familiarity: Gnomes may treat gnome hooked hammers as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons.
+2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions.
Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against illusion spells cast by gnomes. This adjustment stacks with those from similar effects.
+1 racial bonus on attack rolls against kobolds and goblinoids.
+4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type. Any time a creature loses its Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class, such as when it’s caught flat-footed, it loses its dodge bonus, too.
+2 racial bonus on Listen and Craft (alchemy) checks.
Automatic Languages: Common and Gnome. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, and Orc. In addition, a gnome can speak with a burrowing mammal (a badger, fox, rabbit, or the like, see below). This ability is innate to gnomes. See the speak with animals spell description.
Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—speak with animals (burrowing mammal only, duration 1 minute). A gnome with a Charisma score of at least 10 also has the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + gnome’s Cha modifier + spell level.
Favored Class: Bard.

Total of +0 racial mods, needs light in normal darkness, small help in weapons, boost in saving throws, boost in DC of certain spells, boost in some attacks and sometimes AC, boost in some skills, can always understand a Core race, SLAs.
That's a LOT for a core race, and yet the Whisper Gnome of Races of Stone gets some more and still remains LA +0.

Halfling
+2 Dexterity, -2 Strength.
+2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, Listen, and Move Silently checks.
+1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
+2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear: This bonus stacks with the halfling’s +1 bonus on saving throws in general.
+1 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings.
Automatic Languages: Common and Halfling. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, and Orc.
Favored Class: Rogue.

Total of +0 racial mods, some boost to skills, saving throws, and some weapons, and sometimes against spells. They always understand other core races.

So, when lined up like this, keeping in mind all of the above are Small, well... the Kobold really doesn't look that great. If anything, like it's been kicked in the metaphorical balls too many times.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:43 pm
Keith Valken Lionheart
Seph Baelzara
Toughness x3
/Joking

Only feat I got so far is Weapon Finesse. I will probably take Weapon Focus (Rapier), Two Weapon Fighting and Two Weapon Defense as my remaining feats.

Weapon Focus (Rapier)
Shield Specialization
Improved Toughness  

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200

Keith Valken Lionheart

Desirable Sex Symbol

6,200 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:43 pm
Seph Baelzara
Keith Valken Lionheart
Seph Baelzara
Toughness x3
/Joking

Weapon Focus (Rapier)
Shield Specialization
Improved Toughness
I don't plan on using a shield, so that's a no. I'll just take TWF and TWD.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:43 pm
Seph poked out the very problems, except he missed one.

Discrimination.

It's hard to play a kobold and survive, even before then. But add in that and it just increases in difficulty. Thus one of my reasons for liking it.

Anyways, I'm going to speak to SCN about a few things. Cause I have an idea going on in my little brain.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:28 pm
Keith Valken Lionheart
I don't plan on using a shield, so that's a no. I'll just take TWF and TWD.

Bucklers are shields.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces