Welcome to Gaia! ::

CAN WE find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia!!!!

Back to Guilds

we CAN find 1,000,000 Christians on gaia just join! 

Tags: christian, Jesus, Christ, faith, love 

Reply Christian friends
Halloween ? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you participate in Halloween?
  No, but I used to
  No, and I never did
  Yes, I participate in it every year!
  Sometimes..
View Results

Le Pale to the Chief

7,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:28 pm
Praise the Lord on Halloween! Honor Him and His glory! Amen! The Lord works all the time.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:43 pm
I read/heard some where that Halloween started out as a pagan tradition, but was widely spread by Christianity. ((Have to check my sources on this of course.))  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

a-TAP-in-time123

Desirable Shapeshifter

6,350 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Befriended 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:54 pm
Br1ttana
gothic_black_rose
It was a day to hide in the house and put candy out on the doorstep that way the dead wouldn't come in and steal people's souls. Thus the whole reason kids go trick or treating. It was orginally a pagan holiday, just like Christmas. The Catholic church, whichwas the only church at the time, got a hold of it over 1,000 years ago and turned it more in to a Christian holiday that way they could convert more people to Christianity. The word Halloween comes from the words Hallows eve which means holy evening. It is call that because All Saints day is the day after. They say it's evil because "God isn't in Halloween" but he isn't in the 4th of July, Birthdays, or most of the holidays we celebrate. I guess those people shouldn't celebrate Christmas because it went through the same transitions as Halloween from a pagan holiday to a Christian one. It proves that they don't have any idea about Christian history outside of the Bible. Also they are letting legalism rule their lives and that's what ended up happening to the Pharisees and Sadducees. It's a holiday that celebrates our ancestors converstion from paganism to Christianity.

You can tickle me pink,
orange, red, or
blue, but not grey

Thanksgiving...Thanksgiving has God involved in it and did not come from a pagan orgin, really it's the only real Christian holiday. And I have NEVER heard anyone refer to Halloween as a Christian holiday, NEVER. If I asked anyone I knew, Christian or not, if Halloween was a Christian holiday they would reply "You're kidding right?" Maybe it was considered Christian back when the Catholics took it over, but it sure isn't now.

My family had not celebrated Halloween for several years now, but we do still celebrate Christmas, but we have not done the while santa thing with my little sister.

Because grey will not do.

Wasn't thanksgiving started primarily in American culture with the pilgrims and the Indians? Sure the pilgrimed people that came over had christianity, but there have been some stories about thanksgiving not being so 'holy' as people thought it once ones. In reality pilgrims came in and pushed Indians out, at least by the time america was being established. To be honest Christianity has its flaws and one shouldn't be the judge something else, it says that in the bible... Only God can be the judge of things, not man, unless of course government and such, but that isn't supposed to be related to religion. I think that, unless something is outright damaging to other people, then it is ok. Well halloween wise, there is still the issue of scantily clad costumes.... you could say that it is harming girls' innocence. Especially when costume places supply a LOT of scanty costumes. Sorry for the multi-topic post...  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:08 pm
User Image

I don't want to argue or anything but this is how I see Halloween.
I look at it this way.
Yes, Halloween was a pagan holiday.

But nowadays it is purely just for fun, no one is worshiping bad things or trying to fend off evil spirits.
Kids just want candy.

I have no issue with it.
It's just another silly holiday.

If you look at it almost all of the holidays were based on something pagan, but most people do not celebrate it the way they were supposed to originally be celebrated.
Like Halloween, people would leave candy on the doorstep to fiend off evil spirits.
Now kids go door to door putting candy in their bags and being all happy about it.
Not spirits. =/
It's kids being kids.

User Image

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Varjokani

Beloved Rabbit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:47 am
Its not even November and they sell Christmas calenders and all other stuff in our store. >_<'  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:10 pm
Shadow The rabbit
Its not even November and they sell Christmas calenders and all other stuff in our store. >_<'

That's a common thing for retail stores to do so they can boost sales for the holiday seasons. Holidays for retail stores begin at least a month or so before the actual holiday does.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Raptured Princess

4,600 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:34 pm
Halloween was originally a holiday used by pagans in Ireland to scare away evil spirits or demons by dressing up as them. It was also used to celebrate the harvest and the nights getting longer. most modern day Christians misunderstand this and view it has a holiday used to celebrate the dead or Satan's Birthday. Note that Satan was never born here on earth so technically he doesn't have a B-Day. Next it's not used to celebrate the dead. It was used to scare away the dead or I as believe them to be demons pretending to be ghosts or the living dead. In my family's opinion it's not an evil holiday.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:40 pm
a-TAP-in-time123

Wasn't thanksgiving started primarily in American culture with the pilgrims and the Indians? Sure the pilgrimed people that came over had christianity, but there have been some stories about thanksgiving not being so 'holy' as people thought it once ones. In reality pilgrims came in and pushed Indians out, at least by the time america was being established. To be honest Christianity has its flaws and one shouldn't be the judge something else, it says that in the bible... Only God can be the judge of things, not man, unless of course government and such, but that isn't supposed to be related to religion. I think that, unless something is outright damaging to other people, then it is ok. Well halloween wise, there is still the issue of scantily clad costumes.... you could say that it is harming girls' innocence. Especially when costume places supply a LOT of scanty costumes. Sorry for the multi-topic post...

Matthew 7:1-5

(1) "Judge not, that you be not judged. (2) For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. (3) And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? (4) Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the speck from your eye'; and look, a plank is in your own eye? (5) Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
New King James Version

We cannot avoid judging. As the stock in trade of the mind, appraisals are inevitable. If we were witnesses to a flagrant violation of law in which innocent people were harmed, could we keep quiet because we are not to judge?

Does not Jesus command us to judge in verse 6? "Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces." Do we not have to judge who are "dogs" or "swine"? Considering verse 15 ("Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves"), do we not have to judge whether a man is a false minister? Do we not have to reject his teaching based on an appraisal of his fruits?

We must therefore take care to understand clearly what Jesus meant. He obviously did not mean we should not judge at all. Within the context of Luke 6:35-38, Jesus uses "Judge not, and you shall not be judged" to urge us to love our enemies, be merciful, forgiving, and generous. This very greatly modifies Matthew's account, showing that "Judge not . . ." is a warning against self-righteous severity, sharp-tongued criticism, and condemnation. Thus, it is not a command to be absolutely neutral and tolerant regarding moral issues, but a warning to be careful and loving when we judge. We can apply this admonishment to Romans 14:10-13 and James 4:11-12 as well.

There are practical reasons why Jesus would advise us about this. Of prime importance is that even though it is important that we judge rightly, it is even more important that we do not usurp the place of God! "Who are you to judge another's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand" (Romans 14:4).

Paul begins this letter to the Romans calling himself a servant of Jesus Christ. He reminds us that we are all His servants (verses 7-8 ). A servant does not have the same rights and responsibilities as a master. Though we are permitted the right of making an appraisal of conduct, we are not permitted the right of passing judgment upon a fellow servant. A fellow servant does not stand or fall at the bar of our judgment. The only judgment that matters is the judgment of our mutual Master. If He is satisfied or displeased, He will act in His good time and in His way. To usurp His responsibility is an act of sheer presumption.

This in no way means we cannot approach a brother to inquire about and understand his conduct so that we might know whether our appraisal is correct. Assuming that our intent in questioning him is for his good, why would we even approach him? Would it not be because our evaluation of his conduct had led us to conclude—yes, to judge—that he was in serious moral or spiritual trouble?  

Kyramud

Lonely Phantom

7,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Hitoma

7,400 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:03 am
Testicular Diabetes
User Image

I look at it this way.

But nowadays it is purely just for fun, no one is worshiping bad things or trying to fend off evil spirits.
Kids just want candy.

I have no issue with it.

If you look at it almost all of the holidays were based on something pagan, but most people do not celebrate it the way they were supposed to originally be celebrated.
Like Halloween, people would leave candy on the doorstep to fiend off evil spirits.
Now kids go door to door putting candy in their bags and being all happy about it.
Not spirits. =/
It's kids being kids.

User Image

I think you're in denial about what people worshiping during Halloween. There are still people to this day and will this year's Halloween be making sacrifices of all kinds, from foods, to animals and even to humans. There are groups of people who worship Satan on that day too. So Halloween now in days still isn't all about kids running around getting candy. There are evil things happening that day that you're blind too, like many others.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:45 am
Hitoma
Testicular Diabetes
User Image

I look at it this way.

Kids just want candy.

I have no issue with it.

Not spirits. =/
It's kids being kids.

User Image

I think you're in denial about what people worshiping during Halloween. There are still people to this day and will this year's Halloween be making sacrifices of all kinds, from foods, to animals and even to humans. There are groups of people who worship Satan on that day too. So Halloween now in days still isn't all about kids running around getting candy. There are evil things happening that day that you're blind too, like many others.

They worship Satan and sacrifice stuff on others day too. They sacrifice things on the spring equinox, which is the same day as Easter, so should we not celebrate that as well. People do evil things all the time. Do you ever watch the news? There are murders, thiefs, and what not happing on all the other days of the year too. So should we just stop our lives because of what other people do? Seriously, people just get so blinded by legalism sometimes.  

emorhconom esor
Crew

Hilarious Lunatic

Testicular Diabeetus

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:56 am
gothic_black_rose
Hitoma
Testicular Diabetes
User Image

I look at it this way.

Kids just want candy.

I have no issue with it.

Not spirits. =/
It's kids being kids.

User Image

They worship Satan and sacrifice stuff on others day too. They sacrifice things on the spring equinox, which is the same day as Easter, so should we not celebrate that as well. People do evil things all the time. Do you ever watch the news? There are murders, thiefs, and what not happing on all the other days of the year too. So should we just stop our lives because of what other people do? Seriously, people just get so blinded by legalism sometimes.
User Image

I feel that God knows the difference.
He knows if you are in it for the fun of getting candy and he knows if you are worshiping bad things.
I think it's only bad if you make it that way.

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:03 am
Candy= diabetes haha
So that's a good reason to not support it. It's a corporate holiday to sell childhood obesity. So really it's a capitalist holiday. Gotta buy costumes and candy. If you don't supply candy your house gets egged. So in that it has a tone of wrath. The whole trick or treat scenario. You're essentially teaching your kids to blackmail people into getting what they want. Gotta look at it from a non-worldy prespective. It takes away your identity by dressing up as something you aren't which is then a lie. So it's a holiday about lies and wrath. "Fun" seems to be pretty deadly.  

Azkeel

Azkeel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:05 am
Oh yeah gotta throw in greed for the corporations too! =)  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:06 am
We should really not even be debating on this topic. I hope I didn't lead anyone to stumble on the subject.  

Azkeel

Azkeel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:40 am
Cappie v2
Praise the Lord on Halloween! Honor Him and His glory! Amen! The Lord works all the time.
That's all you can really do as should be done everyday. I posted my bash on halloween for the tradition it holds not the day itself.  
Christian friends

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff