Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Build a Character 101 Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:12 am
I find when making a ranger theres no point making a ranger if its the bow you want to use the most. It's best to be a fighter with feats that are focused into ranged attack making it more effective. In a campaign im in right now my friends built like this and those goblins drop like flies  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:13 am
I enjoy bow rangers. They have their place. krahken, you gotta think OUTSIDE of combat as well.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Rock_DS

4,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:27 am
He couldn't set up an account, so I threw up a sheet on my myth weavers account for him. He was foucing on the robbing and stelth aspects of the rouge.

I am putting it together for him to use as it's hander than going to a horde of PM's to get the info

]http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=140352

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:43 pm
Problem: Weapon Focus takes a +1 BAB, and Rogues get 3/4ths BAB. Two more levels until he can get that, until then, I'd suggest something to help him stay alive longer.

EDIT:
Myth-Weavers is weird in the way of skills. Any skills that are Class-Skills need to be left unchecked.
Next, Speed needs to be filled in, as well as the age, and alignment
I'd get some arrows for that long bow.
For a feat? Point Blank Shot. You need to be within 30 feet for Sneak Attack anyways, so why not improve your chances?  

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200

Rock_DS

4,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:05 pm
I was leaving that stuff blank for him, he sorted out his own http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=27836

*Shakes fist* Damned feat XD Oh well. Point Blank is just as handy. Just thinking on how to get his giving some decent melee damage along with range. Bring them both into the same stat seems a valid idea.

He Pmed me and was doing his skills before he vanished off line. Been helping him between playing my bass =3  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:12 pm
The problem with a rogue going into melee is the whole lack of any good armor, and/or the need for high Dexterity.
As for a weapon, and stacking it onto Weapon Focus, I'd go Rapier. That way at 3rd level he can chose Weapon Finesse, then at 6th level, Weapon Focus.
Damage won't be that great, but he will depend on sneaking around, and Backstabbing, literally, for as much damage as possible. Sure he won't be dishing out constantly high damage, like a Fighter, nor will he be completely safe in battle. But that's what he's sacrificing.

Personally, I would've suggested going Crossbow (repeating if possible) for the main weapon, then some kind of melee for a back-up should he need it.  

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200

Archfiend Damio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:01 pm
Apparently I need not to have created this thread sense everyone is an expert and could help you if you wanted and don't care what the thread is actually for.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:26 am
Not everyone is an expert... Some people are just more skilled at certain areas than others. ^.^;
Together, we're all kinda a CharOp of Gaia.

Seph Baelzara

Dedicated Gaian

12,050 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Elocutionist 200

Archfiend Damio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:37 pm
That's not what I made that post for but whatever.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:47 am
just joined the guild smile

never played D&D and don't have any books (am reading an online scoure material on 3.5 that I found here.)

so my question is this;

any good template that a DM and myself or others can quickly read and understand?  

Xenar1

Enduring Lunatic

9,450 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Happy Birthday! 100

WhimsicalXellos
Crew

Compassionate Husband

9,300 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:15 am
Xenar1

never played D&D and don't have any books (am reading an online scoure material on 3.5 that I found here.)

so my question is this;

any good template that a DM and myself or others can quickly read and understand?

There are a lot of good guides online that you can find with a quick google search. There are even video guides on youtube about character creation and other aspects.

That said, it's really easy to listen to other people talk or write about D&D, but when you're trying to learn, the best resource is being able to ask someone. It's great to know the right questions to ask, though, so use your other sources as a means to familiarize yourself with the game so that you're not going in cold.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:16 am
Xenar1

so my question is this;

If you're playing in person, the book has a copy of the character sheet in the very very back. You can also likely find it by google image searching the edition and "character sheet". If you can print it, way to go! Online, there's websites like Myth Weavers, The Tangled Web, Coyote Code, and probably more that I haven't seen. You have to sign up to the website but that's all they ask of you.

When I play, I usually hand-write my sheet because I prefer my own format. But for people new to the game, I suggest using a standard template. It's less of a matter of YOU using a template format that's easy to read. It's more of EVERYONE using the same template format that's easy to read. Consistency is key. If the DM wants to see what your skill bonus for, say, Knowledge: History is without outright asking you, he or she should be able to find it on the same spot on everyone's sheet.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Xenar1

Enduring Lunatic

9,450 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:13 am
need a little hand. i'm making this mock character (wouldn't mind putter her in a dungeon to test out) but I have run into problems.

weight was a problem. you know you've done your math wrong when a human female warrior is 425 lb.... but that's all good now. a little heavy at 165 but I can live with that.

my current problem is hit dice. a fighter has *d10 for hit die. my CON of 8 (not one of my better rolls) -1 from my hit dice, my level (1) should add 1 to the pool. currently this makes 0d10...... something's not right as i'm already dead.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:39 am
that's not how it works. the con modifier doesn't effect your hit dice, it effects your hit points. And, you always have a minimum of +1 to your Hp each level, it can't drop lower than that.

To quote from the SRD:

You apply your character’s Constitution modifier to:

Each roll of a Hit Die (though a penalty can never drop a result below 1—that is, a character always gains at least 1 hit point each time he or she advances in level).

So for your fighter, you'd roll a d10. Say you rolled a 5, with your Con mod of -1, that would make your HP a 4.

However, if you rolled a 1, your con mod would not be able to drop it to 0.

Is that clearer?  

KytanaTheThief
Crew

doctor_who_fan3

Fashionable Browser

4,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:23 am
Third Edition (3.5) Dungeons and Dragons Character Generator Version
Third Edition character Generator