Welcome to Gaia! ::

Green; The Eco Guild [LARGEST ON GAIA!]

Back to Guilds

If you love the earth, and want to be part of a group with the same ideals, this is the guild for you! 

Tags: Ecosystem, green, earth, water, clean 

Reply 4:: Topic: Water.
Five Simple Water Preservation Steps Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Was this informational?
  Yes, thanks! ^^
  No, not at all! XP
View Results

edenfiire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:55 am
We Lie Awake -Breakdown-
1: The obvious step promptly stated many times: when you brush your teeth, DO NOT leave the water running! I don't even understand why people do leave the water running. All you have to do is put the drain stopper in, run a little water, and spit in that. You don't have to keep the water running when you brush.

2: The next obvious step: take shorter showers people! If you're a girl, and you have to shave you legs, I suggest using a wet wash cloth to dampen your legs and then shaving creme-they do sell cheap bottles ya know? But really, whenever you get in the shower, all you really have to do is wash you body and hair and then you're down, right?

3: If you must take longer showers to fulfill vain concerns, try installing a low flow shower head. They're at most Home Depots and they're pretty easy to install as well.

4: Use a water filter on your tap water. Why go out and buy bottled water when you can purify tap water just as easily? You wouldn't have to go through as much money and then there wouldn't be any plastic bottles that are easy to forget to recycle.

5: Okay people, why let a faucet continue to leak? Fix it when you see it! Or get somebody to. You can lose so much water by that one little leak. If you fix it when you see it, you'll save lots of water! And that's what this forum's about, right?

Well, those are five simple steps to preserve water. Hope you learned something ^^

o: very informitave. I'm going to try to do these as much as possible and get my friends to give it a try!  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:41 pm
you rock those are great ideas you totaly rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Chocolate_Chip_XD

Aoko Rosetta

Tipsy Tycoon

11,650 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:24 pm
Another one would be to use rain barrels to collect water to water grass and plants in the summer.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:41 pm
why doesnt every do tat, i used to take really long showers too, but i dont anymore, and a farmer visited my school a long time ago and said ur food will get cheaper the more u preserve water  

Account Inacctive

Account Inacctive

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:43 pm
Aoko Rosetta
Another one would be to use rain barrels to collect water to water grass and plants in the summer.

i think thats a good idea, but it would be kind of hard if you live in an apartment like  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:49 pm
franZxx924
Aoko Rosetta

i think thats a good idea, but it would be kind of hard if you live in an apartment like
Very true it is very hard to do things like that then. You would have to talk to the owner and convince them it was a good idea. But lots of people when educated on the money it could save them are willing to do it.  

Aoko Rosetta

Tipsy Tycoon

11,650 Points
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hotblooded Hero 50

PoppyPatch
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:44 am
Aoko Rosetta
franZxx924
Aoko Rosetta

Very true it is very hard to do things like that then. You would have to talk to the owner and convince them it was a good idea. But lots of people when educated on the money it could save them are willing to do it.

That's a great idea. We just had a T-storm last night, and we have hardly had any rain all summer, so I was glad we finally got rain. I suppose I should have collected some rainwater though.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:56 pm
I do every one of those accept #4
and I shall start working on it
thanks alot
=D

The Five of Swords

blood rose cullen

5,250 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:45 pm
Aoko Rosetta

my mom hates it when i do that (but with buckets)  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:13 pm
You also don't need to let the water run when you wash your hands. Just wet, turn off the water, lather, turn on the water, rinse, turn off the water. Same thing when you're in the shower (you should have a low-flow shower head installed no matter how long or short your shower is), you can turn off the water when you lather your body, shampoo your hair, shave, etc. Especially when you shave. No water to wash away the shaving cream you just put all over your legs.

As for watering plants in an apartment without access to a rainbarrel, if you have a small bin you put in clean water to rinse off your dishes with, you can take that water when you're done rinsing and use it to water your plants. You can do the same thing when you shower by sticking a pitcher in there with you, and use the water collected there. The "dirty" water won't hurt the plants, and you won't have to use extra water to keep them alive.  

Tirpse

PoppyPatch
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:00 am
Nutmeg the Nerdfighter
You also don't need to let the water run when you wash your hands. Just wet, turn off the water, lather, turn on the water, rinse, turn off the water. Same thing when you're in the shower (you should have a low-flow shower head installed no matter how long or short your shower is), you can turn off the water when you lather your body, shampoo your hair, shave, etc. Especially when you shave. No water to wash away the shaving cream you just put all over your legs.

As for watering plants in an apartment without access to a rainbarrel, if you have a small bin you put in clean water to rinse off your dishes with, you can take that water when you're done rinsing and use it to water your plants. You can do the same thing when you shower by sticking a pitcher in there with you, and use the water collected there. The "dirty" water won't hurt the plants, and you won't have to use extra water to keep them alive.

Those are great ideas for preserving water! Good thinking Nutmeg! 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:42 pm
I always take a literal three to five minute shower. I use warm water and I make sure I don't use up too much heating oil to take my shower. I reuse my towels so that I don't have to do laundry as often to preserve water in that aspect, too.
I always use my SIGG water bottle. (It actually says, "Go Green" on it. mrgreen lol)
I always do a full load of laundry and I never wash anything in a small or a single wash load since that would be wasting a lot of water. I only do one to two loads of laundry a week and I also hang my clothes to dry on nice days rather than using more energy to power the dryer.
I don't leave the water running when I am washing my face, brushing my teeth, shampooing my hair, conditioning my hair, washing my hands, washing the dishes, and washing my body in the shower or while using the sink.
That is basically all I do to preserve water. smile Let me know if there is anything else I can do to preserve water.
Peace and Love,
Sazzie  

Sazzie Lotus Song

Account Inacctive

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:05 pm
Sazzie Lotus Song
I always take a literal three to five minute shower. I use warm water and I make sure I don't use up too much heating oil to take my shower. I reuse my towels so that I don't have to do laundry as often to preserve water in that aspect, too.
I always use my SIGG water bottle. (It actually says, "Go Green" on it. mrgreen lol)
I always do a full load of laundry and I never wash anything in a small or a single wash load since that would be wasting a lot of water. I only do one to two loads of laundry a week and I also hang my clothes to dry on nice days rather than using more energy to power the dryer.
I don't leave the water running when I am washing my face, brushing my teeth, shampooing my hair, conditioning my hair, washing my hands, washing the dishes, and washing my body in the shower or while using the sink.
That is basically all I do to preserve water. smile Let me know if there is anything else I can do to preserve water.
Peace and Love,
Sazzie

its the same with me on the towels, laundry(not the hang dry sweatdrop srry) and a couple of other things, but i take a litlle longer than you in the shower (i used to take 30 min, but now i take 10 min)

i'm going to start turning off faucet when I'm washing my face, shampooing my hair, conditioning my hair, and washing my hands tommorow because its night time where i am  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:43 pm
you know, my shower time is a lot shorter since i shaved my head. xd  

Metal Wallflower

Figuren

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:19 am
How about cutting consumption of meat?
Roughly 12,000 gallons of water go into producing a pound of beef. 50% of water in the US is used to produce meat.
You don't have to become a vegetarian necessarily, but just eat less meat.

Another idea is buying second hand clothes.
Conventional cotton takes about 1700 gallons of water to grow enough for one shirt. Conventional cotton also uses 30% of all pesticide use, which causes groundwater pollution.
You can actually find a lot of nice second hand clothes.
You could always buy clothing made from alternatives, too, like hemp.  
4:: Topic: Water.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff