Reply Community Lounge
Ee-thur vs. Eye-thur Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Go look it up, then!
  Fine, I will!
  You're still wrong no matter what the dictionary says!
  I'm almost positive that I don't care. =D
View Results

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:57 pm
    All praise the FSM!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:11 pm
I say them both and it changes for the same sentance too. Lol.
This is one of the reasons I hate the english language and makes it hard for me [Even though I was born speaking it...]. It's all one big... something... I forgot what I was going to say...

@Bass- I know someone who says it something like Shpash-ghetii. It was funny when someone tried to correct her. They broke it down, then increased the speed. She said it but when she put it back together she said shpashgetii, lol.  

sahihen

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:14 pm
Kals is questing again!
Well generally, "ei" says "aye" so if you say it how it's spelled, it's "aye-thur" but I think this is a tomayto-tomahto kind of thing, it depends on where you're from mostly. It's like envelope vs. onvelope.

Words i get yelled at for saying how they're spelled:

gauge
schedule

sieve is spelled seev, I think it's that crazy Brit influence that makes us call it a siv. Seriously, if Chichester is pronounced "Chister" and Worchester is pronounced "Wooster" then of course you'd say "siv". At least they aren't calling rooms "rums" and roofs "ruffs" or saying "a boat" when they mean "about"...

Oh yeah, and the United Statesians get this one wrong allll the time. It's pronounced leftennant, not looo-ten-int. Lieutenant Colonel = leftenant kernel. Don't ask me where the F came from, it's probably from wherever the R was hiding.

Kals' Collaborative Crossword Puzzle!
PM for details!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:20 pm
I always get confused with certain words in the English language. Honestly, people think that I've spoken it long enough that I should be able to get everything like a native speaker but.... hell reading this thread I've realized how I mispronounce the word sieve all the time! I think its why people have such a hard time learning the language, there are so many little inconsistencies.  

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

124-C

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:27 pm
Kalstolyn

Oh yeah, and the United Statesians get this one wrong allll the time. It's pronounced leftennant, not looo-ten-int. Lieutenant Colonel = leftenant kernel. Don't ask me where the F came from, it's probably from wherever the R was hiding.

PM for details!

[loo-ten-uhnt; in Brit. use, except in the navy, lef-ten-uhnt]

If lef of a partner, Kals had ******** herself. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:35 pm
Kals is questing again!
um.. what? you pretty much confirmed what i said, and then passively insulted me.

PM for details!

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

124-C

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:40 pm
No, I actively insulted you.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:50 am
Bass20XX
User Image

SPA-GET-TI

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image

Er, I used to have and aunt who said the same thing. And then one day, she was in a hurry and said pasghetti. We all had to stop to make fun of her.  

The Dinosaur Next Door

Omochii

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:12 pm
124-C
I was once told that I pronounce my NAME wrong. My bloody, ********, name. The other party claimed that with the second "A" in "Aaron" it should be pronounced awe-ron instead of air-ron.
I say "arr-on" (as in, like "arrow" minus the "ow", add an "on").

People are always telling me off for saying "bury" like "burrow" (minus the "ow", add an "ee"). Apparently, it's meant to be said like "berry", but surely this depends on your accent, and where you're from? People up north say "bury" like "burr-ee"...

It sure as hell isn't as bad as Bass' example of mispronunciation...>_>

Kals
sieve is spelled seev, I think it's that crazy Brit influence that makes us call it a siv. Seriously, if Chichester is pronounced "Chister" and Worchester is pronounced "Wooster" then of course you'd say "siv". At least they aren't calling rooms "rums" and roofs "ruffs" or saying "a boat" when they mean "about"...
Try Scotland or further up north for that. :3 I'm pretty sure they say "a boat" and "rums".  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:28 pm
Kals: Where I'm from, about = "a boat". sweatdrop

People from parts of rural Nova Scotia (especially Cape Breton) are horrible for mashing words together or flat-out adding or removing letters from words as they see fit.
The town of North Sydney? Nrthidnee. New Waterford? N'wa'erferd. Cape Breton? C'bren.

"Did you eat yet?" becomes "jeet yet?"

Accrid = accurate
sundee = sunday
arn = iron
warsh = wash
Tronno = Toronto
patrin = pattern
pre shate = appreciate
napple = apple
pie sin = poison

._. No wonder the rest of the country thinks we're all retarded. (Although I'd like to note that aside from Tronno, jeet yet, and arn, I say things properly.)  

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:37 pm
Kals is questing again!
Oh I know all about East Coast Canadian dialects...

Like the way that a short A ends up sounding like... something else all together.... Car, for instance ends up sounding like care, and bar like bear. Not quite care and bear, but something in between those and the normal A sound. Kind of... Scottish sounding, which makes sense considering which people actually immigrated to that part of the country the most. I've heard this particular accent from people who hail form Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, AND PEI.

The ones that drive be bonkers the most besides "ruff" and "rum" (and warsh yer hands in the crick after you bin on the ruff) are things like "lie-berry" for libraray, axe for ask, pronouncing "ing" like "een", "um-ur-kin" for American, and yes, tranna for Toronto. Also people out here in "alburda" tend to say "kal-gree" instead of Calgary. Oh, and they're kill-OHM-it-ers, not KILL-o-meat-ers.

That pricks me about as much as people who think that "irregardless" is an actual word, or who misuse apostrophes (it's not that hard to use an apostrophe in its appropriate place, and to leave it out where it's not needed!) or people who want me to "close the lights." Uhm, do you want me to... close the circuit, thus turning them on? No, you want me to turn them off. wtf.

Ciel: I'm pretty sure East Coasters are more likely to say "a-boot" than "a-boat". Your list of Nova Scotia words actually sound like Arkansas to me...

Did you know that Newfoundland English is so far from conventional English that it is considered an official dialect, like Ebonics? "where ya come to, bye?" means "where are you from?"

PM for details!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:52 am
    Saying 'axe' instead of 'ask'...makes me think of Futurama.

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200

Taeryyn

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:19 pm
Kals: biggrin I won't speak for PEI or Newfoundland, but in NS there's different accents depending on what part of the province you're from, even though it's a tiny province. People from Yarmouth sound nothing like people from Sydney, and neither of them sound like someone from Meteghan.

Based on my experience, I'd divide it up like this:
-Cape Breton (English) (how's she goan, by?), which is close to Newfoundland English. The "a-boot" you're thinking of is definitely said here.
-Cape Breton (Acadian), which is different from the other Acadian region....
-...which is South Shore/Par en Bas/Grand Pre, which has an entirely different Acadian accent
-Halifax and the surrounding area
-Annapolis Valley/Southern NS (Also use "a-boot")
-Cumberland/North Shore NS (Where I'm from. A-boat, not a-boot.)

And my list of words is more Cape Bretoner than any other part of the province. : ) It would sound like Arkansas if you drawled, perhaps, but none of it is drawled or stretched out at all.

But what do I know? Clearly I only lived there for 20 years. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:49 pm
Kals is questing again!
One tends to be deaf to one's own accent, too.

Also, I like your hat.

PM for details!

Kalstolyn

Desirable Genius

5,150 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500

Arcanas

Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:12 pm
...for some reason I thought you were talking about the word Aether...  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff