Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dolls?
  Played with them!
  Play with them currently
  Collect/Used to collect them
  Never played with them (unless I was decapitating them)
  Dolls? Me? Never! You can't prove I did! Those pictures are fake I swear!!
View Results

Sanzoskitsune
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:32 am
...I took the heads off all my Barbies when I got to the age of... 9 I think. Funnily that's probably when I started to go down the road towards feminism. But yeah removed the heads, arms, and legs and then left them in a disturbing pile.... I kind of wonder what my mom's reaction was when she found them.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:08 am
Looking back I spent more time changing the clothes my Barbies had on than anything else. I did play house in their pink motor-home but those plots were always full of costume change breaks. Needless to say I have a whole closet organizer drawer still full of clothes. All of which, except what came with each doll, was bought in non-brand name Costco holiday packs.

I've never destroyed, intentionally, any of the large number I have( i'm interested to know how many I do have..). There have been some mishaps that resulted in brittle plastic breaking and heads and legs coming off.
I have a Tinker Bell that can't "fly" on her invisible wire anymore because her body is too heavy to stay stuck in her head. sweatdrop
I also caused some damage to some hair but again not meaning to. It's not my fault some of that fake hair can't be blow-dried and that the original Ariel doll was not intended for actual submersion...

Yes most of my Barbies are Disney ones, the other's rarely interested me.
My most played with is Bell, go figure... and another brown haired one named courtney ( she has my hair color and I have a cousin by that name, I was mad when I pulled her out from their box and only got her body ) plus a little Kelly doll with the cutest little black velvet party dress.

My brother and I between us have a horde of stuffies which we can't part with. He is soo an animal lover.
And I have two of four porcelain dolls still in my room. But again I still have them because of their outfits. I actually don't like the one at all and the other is a ballerina with actually pointed feet so I just have to deal with her very stereotyped look.
I also bought a doll thats the same size and type as the American girl ones a few years ago. I liked her outfit and she was pretty somehow so I caved. I'd never had an American girl doll and had wanted one, I might still someday get one that looks like me.

I'm really not a girly-girl and I not into high fashion so I don't know what that says, but I've been dancing since I was little so I think what I liked about the dolls most, was the dress up. To this day I love costumes thus what I love about GAIA so much. Dress up was always my favorite thing to do, especially with cousins around.

Sorry for the wall of test but one last thing. xp
I've been wondering about getting a Sims too. Which is best?

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Emperor Pilaf

Jelly GO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:15 am
It's pretty intresting how different doll cultures can be in different countries, in Japan there are many people who collect them seriously and buy very expensive clothes for their dolls and they get really attached to them.. In America it just seems like something kids enjoy at a young age then grow out of. Dolls can be amazing peices of art if they are made right.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:18 am
I always had the outcast doll live in the woods and steal what she needed.
She would fight the guards and dance with street gypsies.....
Same thing with different twist every day.  

Zabethlyburn

7,200 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250

Elcia

Barton Elder

21,250 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly Flashback 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:25 am
Emperor Pilaf
It's pretty intresting how different doll cultures can be in different countries, in Japan there are many people who collect them seriously and buy very expensive clothes for their dolls and they get really attached to them.. In America it just seems like something kids enjoy at a young age then grow out of. Dolls can be amazing peices of art if they are made right.

Yes they can, although I can't understand the need to buy something that you will never open just so that someday you can brag about it or sell it. I like being attached to my things.

I'm actually really disappointed at the quality of most dolls sold in America. And don't get me started of the hideous things Disney has been allowing to be sold under their name. My first Ariel is a spot on likeness and over a head shorter than most other Barbies. Some of the "teen" ones Barbie has made are about the same size...like Skiper I think was the name of the one that's the same size..I don't have one so I'm not sure.
Anyway I got a newer version some years latter, she is the ugliest thing ever and looks nothing like the character. Same goes for new versions I've seen of the rest of them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:31 pm
I used to play with them when I was a lot younger but mostly with a friend. I don't know why but I never played with dolls by myself. I played other games or played with imaginary people.
I'd play for hours with a friend of mine. xd

I hate the porcelin ones... the ones with those really really really creepy eyes... If things give me nightmares those eyes sure would! [I don't really dream about things in daily life. They're mostly random and really mixed up madness.]  

sahihen

Topaz Citrine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:16 pm
I make doll clothes for my grand kids.....so what is new....nothing.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:39 pm
The one doll I had that I really liked was my American Girl doll. I thought they were cool because each doll represented a girl from a different time in American history. Also, each doll had a series of books that went along with her, and the books were all about the girl growing up in whatever era she was supposed to represent.
The dolls were pretty big, and they weren't like...super skinny Barbies. They were designed like fairly average girls. Eventually they made it so you could order a doll with the same hair color/eye color/skin color as yourself.
They had really nice hair too which was always fun to style and play with. They were really good quality dolls and there were a billion cool accessories to get for them. xp I didn't have tons, but I really liked the ones I had. I never ever ever cared about dolls, but my American Girl doll was the one exception.  

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500

Alarias

Militant Dabbler

12,900 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:26 am
xxstephasaurusxxrexxx
On topic: I've never actually found dolls creepy, but apparently they're like clowns in that you like them or fear them... in my experience.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I'd say I agree with this only ...just for porcelain dolls, not all dolls.

I love dolls. Always have. These days I buy them and decorate them but, when I was a kid I spent all my time playing with dolls...by far my favorite toys ever. I also love Gaia and Sims. heart

Emperor Pilaf
Dolls can be amazing peices of art if they are made right.

That is very true. Like these (note: these dolls are anatomically correct...so, yeah...)  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:30 am
Porceline Dolls are scary...

@Ala- So those are sort of like Ball Joint Dolls? Only they look more detailed and human like with features.  

sahihen

wakusei
Vice Captain

Gambino Fatcat

14,800 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:34 am
    Yeah, those dolls look rather similar to ball-jointed dolls you can get from Japan and Korea and such. I greatly desire some BJDs, but they're so freaking expensive. And I just don't have $500-600 to blow on a doll.

@ Kyla - Yeah, I loved how American Girl and Magic Attic Club got kids to read and even learn some history. I still have my Kirsten and look-like-me American Girl. I still have all the books in a trunk that I had when I was younger too. They're a lot more of the dolls now. Like that Kit girl and another one from 1974 who's like a little hippy... whee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:46 am
They are really expensive. I think I saw a few go for $2-300 on Deviant art made to look like characters [forget where from]. That's still a lot too.  

sahihen

Kyla_Ewens

Crew

Questionable Receiver

13,125 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:07 am
wakusei
    Yeah, those dolls look rather similar to ball-jointed dolls you can get from Japan and Korea and such. I greatly desire some BJDs, but they're so freaking expensive. And I just don't have $500-600 to blow on a doll.

@ Kyla - Yeah, I loved how American Girl and Magic Attic Club got kids to read and even learn some history. I still have my Kirsten and look-like-me American Girl. I still have all the books in a trunk that I had when I was younger too. They're a lot more of the dolls now. Like that Kit girl and another one from 1974 who's like a little hippy... whee

4laugh I have Kirsten too! But I have mostly modern clothes for her xp I was so excited when I got the rollerblading set for Christmas xd That was just a few Christmases ago.  
Community Lounge

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff