Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GaijinGuy36

8,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:56 pm
Also, 'Stick-jock' is the term for fighters, especially heavy fighters.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:56 am
Another AEthelmearcian! Well met and welcome, sir! I live in the BMDL (Pittsburgh, PA).

We use "mundane" to mean anyone and anything non-SCA-related. As far as fighters, heavy fighters are usually just called "heavies" (at least in my group). I've heard others in my barony talk about "boffer" fights, which I assume is kids' (under 14, I believe) fighting, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Oh, and we use "naked" in reference to being out of garb, as well.

. . . I'm trying really hard to think of anything else, but I can't right now. whee

Sunegami

Playful Nerd

22,040 Points
  • Pizza Party Attendee 500
  • 1000 High Score 100
  • OTP 200

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:38 pm
Sunegami
Another AEthelmearcian! Well met and welcome, sir! I live in the BMDL (Pittsburgh, PA).

We use "mundane" to mean anyone and anything non-SCA-related. As far as fighters, heavy fighters are usually just called "heavies" (at least in my group). I've heard others in my barony talk about "boffer" fights, which I assume is kids' (under 14, I believe) fighting, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Oh, and we use "naked" in reference to being out of garb, as well.

. . . I'm trying really hard to think of anything else, but I can't right now. whee
I've heard "boffer" being any padded weapon, but it might be a regional thing.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:59 pm
In the garden of lonely love
I'll wait for you
Till the time will come
When I see you smile
Just for me
I'm pretty sure I posted this in another thread, buuuut

Dictionary of SCA Slang

It doesn't have some things in it, and some of the stuff is regional, but otherwise a good read, if only for the humor.

OH

Pennsic Crack/ Cooper's Crack: The chocolate milk sold at the Cooper's store at Pennsic.
Love and loss
Embrace the pain
You can't hide your tears in the rain
I'll be there
Just wait my darling

Spasms

Invisible Gawker

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:49 am
Spasms
Pennsic Crack/ Cooper's Crack: The chocolate milk sold at the Cooper's store at Pennsic.
That I've heard.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:16 pm
Dragostae
Alan the Great
LittleGreenGirl
erm... Dragon! Dragons are what we call cars up here.
We call them Carriages down here in the great Kingdom of Ansteorra.

And we call them chariots here in Calontir.
That's better than "dragon" in my opinion. Of course, I hear "chariot" in reference to the SCA, and I think of the year the king of the East "rode the short chariot". I'm pretty sure his name was Darius... I know he had a roman persona. Of course, that was the year the eastern king stabbed the king of the middle with the war arrow instead of just breaking it, and that's classic impulse control problems.... love to see his IEP, tehehe.
And he did ride a chariot that was in fact shorter than the middle kingdom's king's.
Anyone else remember that?

Anyway, did you know that in the middle ages, there was actually a word for a wagon designated for transporting people?
"Car." neutral  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:18 pm
Kittywitch
Dragostae
Alan the Great
LittleGreenGirl
erm... Dragon! Dragons are what we call cars up here.
We call them Carriages down here in the great Kingdom of Ansteorra.

And we call them chariots here in Calontir.
That's better than "dragon" in my opinion. Of course, I hear "chariot" in reference to the SCA, and I think of the year the king of the East "rode the short chariot". I'm pretty sure his name was Darius... I know he had a roman persona. Of course, that was the year the eastern king stabbed the king of the middle with the war arrow instead of just breaking it, and that's classic impulse control problems.... love to see his IEP, tehehe.
And he did ride a chariot that was in fact shorter than the middle kingdom's king's.
Anyone else remember that?

Anyway, did you know that in the middle ages, there was actually a word for a wagon designated for transporting people?
"Car." neutral

*snerk*

And really? That's a good bit of trivia.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:18 pm
Kittywitch
Spasms
That I've heard.

I've heard-tell of Pennsic Crack, too. I look forward to the day I'll finally be able to try it.

Berz.  

Berzerker_prime

3,800 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Spasms

Invisible Gawker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:34 am
Berzerker_prime
Kittywitch
Spasms
That I've heard.

I've heard-tell of Pennsic Crack, too. I look forward to the day I'll finally be able to try it.

Berz.

Is there anyone here who's actually tried it and can testify to it's goodness?

Also:

Golden Splonders: Chocolate Chip Cookies

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:14 am
Spasms
Berzerker_prime
Kittywitch
Spasms
That I've heard.

Berz.

Is there anyone here who's actually tried it and can testify to it's goodness?

Also:

Golden Splonders: Chocolate Chip Cookies
I have had it. It is indeed very rich and chocolatey.

I really don't like chocolate at all. The flavor makes me feel ill. I have to take it medicinally once a month.  

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:38 am
I've heard 'coins of the realm' used to describe both chocolate chip cookies, and chocolate coins! sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:26 pm
These are the ones I most often confuse people with.

Biffies = porta-potties. (I grew up in the SCA, I thought this was normal 'cause all of the adults and families aI really hung around were also SCA. xd )
Swishy-poke = Rapier fighting, often considered slightly offensive.
heart  

Regular Polyhedra

Koosei

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:35 pm
one that I recently learned was Archer's Crack = a broken arrow. ^.^ and that's cause of the smell of the cedar(or whatever kind of wood you use) that comes from the broken arrow shaft  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:08 pm
UnseelieSidhe
These are the ones I most often confuse people with.

Biffies = porta-potties. (I grew up in the SCA, I thought this was normal 'cause all of the adults and families aI really hung around were also SCA. xd )
Swishy-poke = Rapier fighting, often considered slightly offensive.
heart

Another term for rapier fighters used around here is 'rapier twit.' The fighters around here love ribbing one another.  

Lady Pica

Salty Wench

8,975 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

cackleback

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:54 pm
heavy weapons swords can be called sticks, or if they are heavier than normal they can be called a club, a large shield is called a warboard. i have drank pennsic crack, and what makes it better is that is is creamier and fresher than normal chocolate milk.  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff