Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:18 am
Indigo Project
When Her Highness of Cynagua was having dinner with our household Saturday night, somehow it came up that I didn't have my AoA yet (I've been playing almost two years), and I think it was Baroness Anastasia who said something along the lines of, "We need to fix that."

I love being in House Darkclaw.

I'm sure that you really are doing alot and being a good helpful person, but I feel that this needs to be said. Arms are not awarded to someone simply for being there, or at very least, they shouldn't be.

I've been in the SCA twenty years. I don't have an AoA. I think that's a good thing. An AoA is not a Frequent Flyer card. Think about it. An award for existing? No, that isn't something you award. The reward for existing in the SCA is existing in the SCA!
An AoA is a service award. You get it by SERVING. It doesn't matter how long you've been in the SCA if you're not doing anything there.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:25 pm
rock on! congrats dude!  

Eclyps Th1rt3en

Dragostae

Astral Lionheart

21,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:16 pm
Sir_Catherine
Any suggestions on what to use for or how to make a circlet? I would like to wear one, but I never see them at merchant booths. I don't have a lot of money to spend on this; ideas/suggestions/advice would be welcome.

I braided one. (little bit of copper, oh yeah. Granted, I still don't have my AoA yet, but I also haven't had much of a chance to really do anything of merit yet.)  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:35 am
I got mine at the last Armorgeddon to ever be held. It was officially awarded at the event before that, which I think was coronation, but I had to miss it for some reason or another.. probably school.

I got called into court and His Majesty Garik (spelling?) told me that no matter how helpful I was, it didn't excuse me from missing Their court... I was so confused...

Then he said I was going to get what I deserved and he gave me the AoA...

Turns out the ENTIRE kingdom had kept it a secret for a whole week. (Which in Calontir is a LONG time to keep a secret like that...)

I've framed all my awards, even the baronial ones. I figure I'm proud of what I've done and if I didn't display the pretty illumination on them, they'd only sit in a file drawer somewhere, which doesn't do justice to the wonderful artwork that went into maing them.  

Lady Rayya

Berzerker_prime

3,800 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:53 pm
Lady Rayya
I've framed all my awards, even the baronial ones. I figure I'm proud of what I've done and if I didn't display the pretty illumination on them, they'd only sit in a file drawer somewhere, which doesn't do justice to the wonderful artwork that went into maing them.

Same here. My AOA is proudly displayed on my wall in a frame-job worthy of the original artwork that it is.

It occurs to me that SCA scrolls are a form of recording history.

Wait. That's a terribly obvious statement. Let me rephrase.

It occurs to me that SCA scrolls are a form of recording history outside the SCA. One never knows what document might, one day far in the future, become the key to someone understanding their genealogy or family history. I know that stitchery and embroidery samplers have often been key to figuring out who was related to whom, thanks to dates and names stitched into the work. Not unlike what can conceivably happen with a scroll made for the SCA. A future historian could, in theory, know that a certain individual was in a certain place at a certain time. It's a really cool aspect of the game to think about.

Sarah T. Foole.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:51 pm
I received my AOA last year, when I was 14. Youngest in my shire!  

Absentimental_lover

Kittywitch

Witty Elocutionist

26,500 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unbreakable Bond 150
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:42 am
Absentimental_lover
I keep forgetting how young you are. Please remind me the next time I offer you alcohol.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:39 pm
Kittywitch
Absentimental_lover
I keep forgetting how young you are. Please remind me the next time I offer you alcohol.

XD I remember a lady at my first event in a state of utter inebriation offered a shot of Irish whiskey to a 10 year old.  

Triggerhappy938

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:48 pm
Kittywitch
I've been in the SCA twenty years. I don't have an AoA. I think that's a good thing. An AoA is not a Frequent Flyer card. Think about it. An award for existing? No, that isn't something you award. The reward for existing in the SCA is existing in the SCA!
An AoA is a service award. You get it by SERVING. It doesn't matter how long you've been in the SCA if you're not doing anything there.

I have to say, I agree. I've been dodging the away for over a year now (been in the SCA for ... almost four years).

I feel it should be for providing service, or going out of your way for the SCA. And Everyone keeps threattening me with it ... But I haven't done ANYTHING yet, that I wouldn't do for any organization I was a part of. I mean, it's the work ethic I was brought-up to uphold.
If there's work to be done, and you can help - help. If someone looks like they're struggling - lend them a hand. If you see something that needs to be done - do it. Don't pass it off, or ignore it, or wait for someone else to do it.

But I made the mistake at our last SCA demonstration for the highschool (we do two every year, on per semester for the grade 9 classes, studying medieval times) of correcting her Ladyship Rhiannon, while she introduced us.
She introduced herself, and then me as 'Lady Medb' - and I corrected her saying, 'I'm sorry, but I'm not a Lady, your Ladyship'
And she said 'You don't have your AoA?!' all shocked .... redface And I'd mentioned I'd actually been afraid I'd be called up in court at the previous event (having been the Saturday, and Sunday before the SCA day on Monday) - and had been plotting ways of skipping court.

and she just said 'And you darn well would have too if I'd have known!'

eek And they all know I can't avoid our Penguin Crusades event in April ..... Since I'm Autocrat, and court photographer ..... so ... I don't know what I'm going to do.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:33 am
I got my AoA last year, i wasn't expecting it. my friend, my sister and i were sitting on the side on the ground only half paying attention. they called me up to finally receive my scroll for the Tygers Cub, which i had entered in 2001. after that i was about to get up when they said to stay in which they proceed to give me my AoA. now all i have to do is figure out what my device is going to look like.  

kadegij

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:02 pm
Dragostae
Sir_Catherine
Any suggestions on what to use for or how to make a circlet? I would like to wear one, but I never see them at merchant booths. I don't have a lot of money to spend on this; ideas/suggestions/advice would be welcome.

I braided one. (little bit of copper, oh yeah. Granted, I still don't have my AoA yet, but I also haven't had much of a chance to really do anything of merit yet.)

Oooh, I like that idea a lot. Three thin strands of copper wire braided in a circle. I could do that. Thanks for the idea! smile  
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:10 am
I'm very new. What's an AOA?  

Divash

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:05 pm
Kingdom of An Tir: The lowest level of armigerous rank awarded by the Crown generally to those who have become recognized integrated participants in the Society. The Crown of An Tir has granted Principality Coronets the privilege of bestowing AA's to subjects of Their Principalities in the name of the Crown. Those who have achieved an Award level rank are given the title of Lord or Lady.

It's also refered to as the 'plays well with others' award, by some people.

Generally anyone who's been in the SCA for a few years, and is an active member - will get their AoA.

So far I've succesfully avoided it ... But certain members of my shire continue to remind people to recommend me for it ... gonk *hates getting awards*  
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:29 am
Thank you! That explains well the significance of the award. But what do the letters actually stand for? Award of Armor? Associate of Aristocracy? Airhead or Applebrain?  

Divash

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Naito_Mitsukai

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:58 am
Oh! I'm sorry, I'd thought it was in the quoted portion.

It stands for Award of Arms. smile  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces