35,375 Points
  • Super Jumper 500
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
  • Tundra Brawler 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:32 am
AlwaysFadingAwaySlowly
Rae Starshine

"I see."
Tobias had simply been watching her quietly, musing on what was going to be spoken of. A smile touched his lips as she was making herself comfortable. With a nod, he made to go toward the kitchen.
"All things in there due time, relax for now. Permit me a moment to prepare the tea."
The last he spoke from the other room. The tea kettle was taken out and filled with water. Set on the burner to heat up, a tray was then brought out to prepare to carry the cups and things back to the living room. This would take time, so he strode over to the doorway to the living room and leaned on the frame. Crossing his arms over his chest, he just listened to her a moment once she spoke to him again.
"You know, it really is alright to know one can not take on the world alone. There are still those who have your back, should you have need of them."
Closing his eyes, he nodded at the last.
"Yes, my dear."
About to say more, the tea whistled catching his attention.
"Hold that thought, let me get the tea."
Holding up a finger, he then turned and went to get the tea pot off the burner. Pouring hot water into a pair of cups and placing them with the other things on the tray, a brief moment was taken to make sure it looked ascetically pleasing. Snagging two peppermint tea bags and setting them beside each cup, the rather tall male took up the tray and began carefully heading back to Rae. Placing it on the coffee table, Tobias sat down on the couch. Noting Mocha curled up in Rae's lap, the tiny kitten had a single paw placed on one of her hands.
"Prepare your tea, Rae my dear. Then speak when you are ready."
He then set his own tea to steep, before settling back into the couch.

((Nothing to fret about here. ))

Rae smelled the tea before she saw it. Of course it was peppermint, she would expect nothing less. It wasn't her most favorite, but it was definitely high on her list. Murmuring her thanks, the young detective began preparing her tea as soon as the tray was laid before them, letting the tea bag sit in the warm water in her cup. She liked her tea strong and sweet, and nothing less would meet her standards. While she waited for her tea to steep, Rae continued her tale as though nothing had happened. Once she started, there was no stopping this train.

"I never thought I could take on the world, but I've always been independent. From the time I was very small, I had to learn things the hard way. Even so, I created this alias to protect myself from everyone I had ever known. I don't even get to see Gear all that often. I would never put his child in danger like that.. I'm babbling, sorry."

Taking a moment to marshal her thoughts, Rae continued in a rather small voice, looking down at her lap as she played with Mocha's cute little paws. The allure of pink toe beans was too strong to ignore. "I'm sure you read about the goings on this past half year. I made sure it was public knowledge, even here on Gaia. It was to be my last royal act. It gave people something to talk about while I went into hiding." She didn't plan on saying anything more about that, he would know of what she spoke. You didn't have to be a genius to spot that she wore only her class ring now.

The longer the young woman talked, the stronger her voice became, and she no longer feared judgment, not from Toby. She had lost much, but perhaps she could one day gain some things back. When she was satisfied her tea had steeped for long enough, Rae abandoned the toe beans for now, removing the tea bag and placing it on the tray, stirring in a generous measure of sugar before the spoon joined its ranks. Taking a tentative sip, she sighed, both in relief and contentment. Toby would no doubt have questions of his own, so she looked to him, waiting for the no doubt barrage of them that was soon to follow.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:40 am
Rae Starshine

Tobias was listening, brow furrowing as she spoke. His eyes closed when she spoke of distancing herself even from her own brother. Certainly it had pained her, but there was reason for it. He shook his head opening his eyes to thin slits to gaze at her.
"You do not have to apologize, I think you need to be able to speak about this."
His gaze went to his tea, but he left it alone. He didn't feel the need to disturb the bag steeping currently. Mocha, on the other hand, was being very much a bundle of activity. His little toes splayed as he wiggled at having them touched. This was one happy kitten if the purrs coming from him weren't already an indication. The hint of a smile tugged at Tobias's lips seeing the utterly pleased kitten. It didn't last as he continued to listen to his dear friend, and again he gave a slight nod.
"It would have been difficult to miss. However, that does raise a question for me."
Yet instead of immediately continuing, he leaned forward to remove the bag from his tea. A measure of sugar was added and he stirred it to his liking. Setting the spoon down, he picked up the cup and settled back as if to take a sip. Rather than doing so, he held it just before his lips and spoke gazing ahead instead of over to her.
"If you needed to go into hiding, why then was there a body double? Why did you feel the need to have.."
There was a brief pause as his eyes flashed and a careful eye could catch a hint of the look of distaste as he spoke again.
"Vicky?"
Though it probably went with out saying, he really bared the woman no ill will. The distaste and flash in his eyes were more for there being someone who would look and sound like Rae.
"The thought of someone looking and, well attempting to sound like you was jarring. I do not much care for anyone being Rae that is not you."
At this he became quiet and sipped his tea. However, his gaze was now on her. There was no anger, she was very dear to him. This was why having anyone else be a stand in for her was almost painful. There was no other Rae, but Rae.

AlwaysFadingAwaySlowly

Otherworldly Specter

Rae Starshine

Interstellar Marshmallow

35,375 Points
  • Super Jumper 500
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
  • Tundra Brawler 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:20 am
AlwaysFadingAwaySlowly
Rae Starshine

Tobias was listening, brow furrowing as she spoke. His eyes closed when she spoke of distancing herself even from her own brother. Certainly it had pained her, but there was reason for it. He shook his head opening his eyes to thin slits to gaze at her.
"You do not have to apologize, I think you need to be able to speak about this."
His gaze went to his tea, but he left it alone. He didn't feel the need to disturb the bag steeping currently. Mocha, on the other hand, was being very much a bundle of activity. His little toes splayed as he wiggled at having them touched. This was one happy kitten if the purrs coming from him weren't already an indication. The hint of a smile tugged at Tobias's lips seeing the utterly pleased kitten. It didn't last as he continued to listen to his dear friend, and again he gave a slight nod.
"It would have been difficult to miss. However, that does raise a question for me."
Yet instead of immediately continuing, he leaned forward to remove the bag from his tea. A measure of sugar was added and he stirred it to his liking. Setting the spoon down, he picked up the cup and settled back as if to take a sip. Rather than doing so, he held it just before his lips and spoke gazing ahead instead of over to her.
"If you needed to go into hiding, why then was there a body double? Why did you feel the need to have.."
There was a brief pause as his eyes flashed and a careful eye could catch a hint of the look of distaste as he spoke again.
"Vicky?"
Though it probably went with out saying, he really bared the woman no ill will. The distaste and flash in his eyes were more for there being someone who would look and sound like Rae.
"The thought of someone looking and, well attempting to sound like you was jarring. I do not much care for anyone being Rae that is not you."
At this he became quiet and sipped his tea. However, his gaze was now on her. There was no anger, she was very dear to him. This was why having anyone else be a stand in for her was almost painful. There was no other Rae, but Rae.

Holding onto her mug, Rae gently nudged the kitten in her lap over a bit, resting her mug in the free space. Mocha could still have her attention, of course. She'd never deprive the little darling of affection. Plus, toe beans: nature's gift.

"Ask away, I'm not going anywhere." She meant it, too. Being a detective, she kept odd hours, taking naps and eating whenever she could, having time for little else. Sundays were her days off, and all she did those days was sit at home and surf the Gaian Web all day. What a dweeb. Rae almost missed the look flash in her friend's eyes, but she caught the last of it and frowned, knowing what was coming. Might as well get that explanation out of the way first, there really was no other wya around it, and he deserved an answer.

"Vicky was necessary to throw off any pursuers. She went about her daily life as normal, but I paid her to pose as me for the foreseeable future. When I realized no one other than the Magician's underlings came to look for me, I redefined the parameters of her contract. She posed as me to throw them off, and I trained her myself. She learned everything, down to my tiniest mannerisms, and way of speaking. I had my Master awaken her so she would be able to protect herself like I do. She almost died because of that.." Pausing to take a sip of tea, Cherie brushed a loose strand of hair behind her ear with the other hand before forging on.

"I know you probably don't like her because of that, but if I hadn't taken that measure, either the Magician or his underlings would have caught me eventually. Powerful I may be, but I am no match for that immortal human.." Realizing he may not be familiar with that concept, she waited for Toby to ask about it. Flashing her dear friend a smile, she took that opportunity to take another sip of tea, absently twitching Mocha's little ears with a forefinger.

That went without saying, though. Of course Toby would hate for someone to pose as his friend. He cared deeply for those closer to him, and she never would have put him through that hurdle if her life hadn't been in danger. Rae didn't take risks unless she knew they would pay off in the end. Too much was at stake. Despite her self-deprecative nature, Rae valued what little life she had. Learning that the hard way had been a harsh teacher indeed.

(( Yay, you're back! And now that I'm finally free, we can play as much as we want now. emotion_bigheart ))

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:55 am
Rae Starshine

The tiny kitten rolled obligingly, though gave a small mew. Making himself comfortable in the new spot, he kneaded at the air waiting for further attention. Tobias reaches over at the mew, giving Mocha a light couple of pets along his nose. Once Rae began explaining, he rested his cup on his lap much as she had. His gaze stayed fixed on her till she paused, at which point it shifted back ahead. Nothing in particular was focused on as he softly tapped an index finger on his cup.
"I see."
Sipping his tea as she continued, the cup lowered to reveal something like a slight smile. But it was more for show as she could probably tell.
"I hold no ill will towards her, per say. I am sure she is a charming woman."
Setting his cup on his lap again, he turned her way and fully met her eyes.
"However, she is not my Rae. Her voice is not yours. When one wants to hear the voice of someone dear, one catches the false in an impostor. I understand now why you had Vicky do as she did, but realize it was difficult on more than one party."
Placing his cup down on the tray again, he turned himself more towards her. The immortal part didn't give him pause, he did read many a thing and had come across that concept before.
"And you do not have to be, I simply wish I had not been out of the loop."
Sighing, he shook his head and reached up one hand to touch her cheek with the tips of his fingers.
"Yet, if I had to not know and it meant you were safe, I can accept that. I am simply glad to have you here and speaking in the voice I know so well."

((Rarely am I too far away, you know. I'm just slow at times. But yes, more time. I am also terribly amused by the continued use of the term "toe beans". ))

AlwaysFadingAwaySlowly

Otherworldly Specter

Rae Starshine

Interstellar Marshmallow

35,375 Points
  • Super Jumper 500
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
  • Tundra Brawler 100
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:23 am
AlwaysFadingAwaySlowly
Rae Starshine

The tiny kitten rolled obligingly, though gave a small mew. Making himself comfortable in the new spot, he kneaded at the air waiting for further attention. Tobias reaches over at the mew, giving Mocha a light couple of pets along his nose. Once Rae began explaining, he rested his cup on his lap much as she had. His gaze stayed fixed on her till she paused, at which point it shifted back ahead. Nothing in particular was focused on as he softly tapped an index finger on his cup.
"I see."
Sipping his tea as she continued, the cup lowered to reveal something like a slight smile. But it was more for show as she could probably tell.
"I hold no ill will towards her, per say. I am sure she is a charming woman."
Setting his cup on his lap again, he turned her way and fully met her eyes.
"However, she is not my Rae. Her voice is not yours. When one wants to hear the voice of someone dear, one catches the false in an impostor. I understand now why you had Vicky do as she did, but realize it was difficult on more than one party."
Placing his cup down on the tray again, he turned himself more towards her. The immortal part didn't give him pause, he did read many a thing and had come across that concept before.
"And you do not have to be, I simply wish I had not been out of the loop."
Sighing, he shook his head and reached up one hand to touch her cheek with the tips of his fingers.
"Yet, if I had to not know and it meant you were safe, I can accept that. I am simply glad to have you here and speaking in the voice I know so well."

((Rarely am I too far away, you know. I'm just slow at times. But yes, more time. I am also terribly amused by the continued use of the term "toe beans". ))

Was that all? Honestly, Rae expected him to, at the very least, make his displeasure quite known; whether through growls or vocalizing it other ways, she'd been ready for anything. Seems that was unnecessary. Her detective senses were not always right, but it was better to be prepared than not.

"Vicky is.. a character. She's nearly always happy, I'm honestly jealous of her positive outlook on everything." After another sip of tea, Rae went back to toying with Mocha's paws, briefly wondering where all the other little dears were. Probably hiding under the bed or some such. They would come out whenever they wanted to and not a moment sooner.

"If they hadn't been watching my actions so closely, I would have told you far sooner.. I couldn't take the risk they would find you." Or rather, she would be damned if anyone tried to hurt one of the only friends she had left. Sure, Toby could take care of himself, but what if someone had found a way to hurt him, smokey form or not? Not on this detective's watch, no sir.

Blinking in surprise at the slight contact, she stiffened for a moment, a dusting of pink seeping into the arches of her cheeks. After a moment or two, she relaxed, slowly getting used to his hand being there. Rae wasn't crazy about people touching her without permission, especially her face, but she knew where Toby's heart lie, so there would be no fuss. Only then did his words really sink in.

"Well, I'm glad to be here, too.. Did you, ah.. have any other questions?" He hadn't asked about elaboration on immortal humans, so he must have come across that somewhere in all his research to try and find his folks again. That was no surprise, he read more than she did these days. Abandoning Mocha's delightful lil toe beans for the moment, Rae gently placed her hand atop the one just barely touching her cheek, offering a soft smile in return. It felt nice, and she wasn't quite ready to let that go just yet.

(( I know, but I missed this. Don't you know toe beans are God's gift to humanity? ))

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:59 am
Rae Starshine

Vast amounts of displeasure weren't really where he wanted his emotions to dwell right now. Life is far too short to spend being upset over the past when someone dear is once again near one.
"Again I am sure she is quite nice. However our meeting was not of the best circumstances and that keeps me from wishing to have many, if any, further interactions with her."
Mocha was such a pleased kitten, all this attention. This of course did not go unnoticed by a few other sets of eyes. For one, little Snooze had climbed up on the back of the couch and had nestled by Tobias's shoulder. Little blue eyes just watched Mocha getting all the attention. Feeling the warm bit of fluff near him, Tobias reached over to scratch under his chin. A sigh then escaped him at her words.
"I understand you wish to protect me, but I am not so very frail. Yet, I can concede that you know this threat far better than I. As much as this did pain me, I know you were trying to keep me safe. But recall, if I do not wish to be found, I will not be."
A smile came to his lips when she placed her hand over his. Yes, he knew he had jumped ahead and not checked if this was alright. He's ask forgiveness later for his selfishness. Just before speaking agin, he brushed his thumb just along her cheek.
"Will the stay be longer? The time together has been brief and far between at best. Can there be more time spent in each others company now?"

((As did I, then I get distracted with other inspiration. Forgive me, I get so easily side tracked. Heh, well I do now. ))

AlwaysFadingAwaySlowly

Otherworldly Specter

Rae Starshine

Interstellar Marshmallow

35,375 Points
  • Super Jumper 500
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
  • Tundra Brawler 100
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:32 am
AlwaysFadingAwaySlowly
Rae Starshine

Vast amounts of displeasure weren't really were he wanted his emotions to dwell right now. Life is far too short to spend being upset over the past when someone dear is once again near one.
"Again I am sure she is quite nice. However our meeting was not of the best circumstances and that keeps me from wishing to have many, if any, further interactions with her."
Mocha was such a pleased kitten, all this attention. This of course did not go unnoticed by a few other sets of eyes. For one, little Snooze had climbed up on the back of the couch and had nestled by Tobias's shoulder. Little blue eyes just watched Mocha getting all the attention. Feeling the warm bit of fluff near him, Tobias reached over to scratch under his chin. A sigh then escaped him at her words.
"I understand you wish to protect me, but I am not so very frail. Yet, I can concede that you know this threat far better than I. As much as this did pain me, I know you were trying to keep me safe. But recall, if I do not wish to be found, I will not be."
A smile came to his lips when she placed her hand over his. Yes, he knew he had jumped ahead and not checked if this was alright. He's ask forgiveness later for his selfishness. Just before speaking again, he brushed his thumb just along her cheek.
"Will the stay be longer? The time together has been brief and far between at best. Can there be more time spent in each others company now?"

((As did I, then I get distracted with other inspiration. Forgive me, I get so easily side tracked. Heh, well I do now. ))

"Mn, fair enough. She was rather curious about you, though." Well, if he wanted nothing to do with her double, she couldn't force him to befriend the girl. Rae took note of the other furry darling, now nestled on the back of the couch, giving the fluffy feline a soft smile and slowly closing her eyes, only to open them again a moment later. It was a cat thing, she knew.

"I know, but I couldn't take the chance of you being used against me. He would have found a way to hurt you, and.. I wasn't going to even entertain the thought." Only the slightest bit of hesitation was evident, and she soon dispelled that, eyes flickering with a kind of fierce determination. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned as the saying goes.

Rae couldn't help but sigh, at ease as her eyes fluttered closed, just concentrating on his hand and how it felt. The young detective was no stranger to physical contact from friends; she had even had to go undercover with her male partner as his fiancee. It was awkward, but doable. Her own feelings were sort of jumbled now that her life could retain some sort of normalcy again.

"I'll.. stay if you want me to." There was that slight hesitation again, though less obvious this time. Rae wanted many things, most of which she couldn't have. There was no way she'd make herself that vulnerable again, only to go through yet more heartbreak. The ache in her chest had finally stopped, nearly a year ago now, and she was reluctant to examine the now healed over void in her being. By accepting Toby's invitation, she was willing to allow Toby closer, as long as he was happy. If she thought he was happy, then maybe she could be happy again, too.

(( No big deal, you were busy. I'm a very patient marshmallow.~ All right, all edited. ))

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:31 am
Rae Starshine

Raising a brow at that, he gave her a somewhat confused look.
"I doubt I am so very interesting. I would have guessed you would have to tell her about me if she was to be you. I suppose it is my being different that raises her curiosity?"
Shrugging, his brow lowered. It wasn't really something to be bothered over. Little Snooze squeezed his eyes back at Rae and stretched his front paws out towards her. This one preferred to stay close to Tobias when possible, but he wouldn't turn down attention from her. At her next words, the horned male flinched ever so slightly. She had good reason to fret over something like that, as recent events had pointed out.
"A fair point, my dear. Though I fret more for the former than the latter."
Causing her any grief was not something that sat well with him. To do so against his will by another's biding he would have thought impossible at one time. Yet, sometimes one learns a harsh truth whether they wish to or not. Her sigh roused him from his thoughts and he felt himself relax again seeing her calm face.
"I would want for nothing else, but I do hope you are not doing so only to appease me in some way. One would hope that their company was also wanted."
The smallest hint of teasing laced his voice. Very much did he doubt she would stay if she didn't to some degree want to be there. Turning his hand, he carefully took hers and held it. He then placed his other hand over them and rested their hands on the small bit of couch between them.
"Now that I have gotten you tea, is there anything else I can fetch you? Perhaps some food?"
If she was to be staying for a time, the good host in him wanted to be sure she wanted for nothing. One liked to be sure a stay here would be recalled as a time you were well taken care of.

((Yes and I am thankful for that as I, more often than I would like, keep you waiting. ))

AlwaysFadingAwaySlowly

Otherworldly Specter

Rae Starshine

Interstellar Marshmallow

35,375 Points
  • Super Jumper 500
  • Alchemy Level 8 100
  • Tundra Brawler 100
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:52 am
AlwaysFadingAwaySlowly
Rae Starshine

Raising a brow at that, he gave her a somewhat confused look.
"I doubt I am so very interesting. I would have guessed you would have to tell her about me if she was to be you. I suppose it is my being different that raises her curiosity?"
Shrugging, his brow lowered. It wasn't really something to be bothered over. Little Snooze squeezed his eyes back at Rae and stretched his front paws out towards her. This one preferred to stay close to Tobias when possible, but he wouldn't turn down attention from her. At her next words, the horned male flinched ever so slightly. She had good reason to fret over something like that, as recent events had pointed out.
"A fair point, my dear. Though I fret more for the former than the latter."
Causing her any grief was not something that sat well with him. To do so against his will by another's biding he would have thought impossible at one time. Yet, sometimes one learns a harsh truth whether they wish to or not. Her sigh roused him from his thoughts and he felt himself relax again seeing her calm face.
"I would want for nothing else, but I do hope you are not doing so only to appease me in some way. One would hope that their company was also wanted."
The smallest hint of teasing laced his voice. Very much did he doubt she would stay if she didn't to some degree want to be there. Turning his hand, he carefully took hers and held it. He then placed his other hand over them and rested their hands on the small bit of couch between them.
"Now that I have gotten you tea, is there anything else I can fetch you? Perhaps some food?"
If she was to be staying for a time, the good host in him wanted to be sure she wanted for nothing. One liked to be sure a stay here would be recalled as a time you were well taken care of.

((Yes and I am thankful for that as I, more often than I would like, keep you waiting. ))

Rae just nods, letting the subject drop. Reaching up with her free hand and pulling off her glasses, they were tucked safely in an inside pocket of her jacket with minimal jostling. Not one to resist any cat on Gaia, she reached out to tickle his lil paws and scratch Snooze behind the ears. What a precious little darling, she'd been so glad to find him for Toby for his birthday a couple years ago.

"I know, but since things are looking up for me again, it's best to just.. let it go, you know?" It really was for the best at this point. She'd let go of everything after awhile, realizing it did her no good to hold onto bad feelings. Either she would find a way to fix things, or just move on. After trying the first option, and failing time after time, Rae had been forced to take the second option. Really though, she was better off; it was a shame it took her so long to realize that.

"I always enjoy your company, silly. That's why I'm here." Rae felt her body relax some when their hands moved, feeling much more comfortable. He knew how she was about anyone touching her without permission, but she also knew about Toby's want for physical contact. When you're a smoky being only able to touch someone while solid, it was only natural for him to need the comfort just as much as she did.

"Actually, now that you mention it.. Can we get a pizza or something? I just got off work, and didn't get the chance to go home yet.." Food had slipped her mind for the past hour or so, but her stomach was quick to remind her, grumbling softly in protest at being neglected for so long. Frowning, embarrassed at her body's lack of tact, Rae shifted position a little so she was closer to Toby. In her line of work, you ate when you could, slept when you had the chance, and had maybe one day off a week for personal time. Crime never sleeps, or so it's been said.

(( I've kept you waiting plenty of times, so no biggie. ))

Fanonymous

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 16 17 18 19

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff