Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [L5R 3eR] Jade Legacy --- --- --- --- [Closed]
L5R - Jade Legacy OOC thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 132 133 134 135 136 137 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:25 am
xX_Terei_Xx
Should I post my sheet soon?

Whenever you like smile  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:31 am
BegrudginglyGood
Sounds like a plan to me!

Edit: On second thoughts, I was trying to make my character too complicated. I'll simplify her back a bit.

What Fish said. A lot of things are different, such as Armor TN, emphases, school rank abilities, mastery abilities, health, traits used with certain skills, the skill list itself... The system still plays the same way though (with the exception of emphases mostly, which let you add your skill rank to the total of your roll in 3rd ed, and let you reroll 1's instead in 4th ed).

I have adapted SOME 4th ed stuff to my game - primarily, the traits used with certain skills part. Normally for some of the less important macro skills like Games and Perform and such. I thought about using 4th ed health system, but I chose to use 3rd editions still, because of the danger combat possesses. I think it'll force players to be more careful/less reckless with their characters that way.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

BegrudginglyGood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:02 pm
What is the 3rd ed health system?

Also, once I finish writing up what I had using the 4th ed version, I'll let you go through it and tell me what you would prefer changed. For all I know I've gone way OP, or perhaps have even under made my character.

I'm currently getting my hands on a copy of 3rd ed, will have a read through as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:29 pm
BegrudginglyGood
What is the 3rd ed health system?

Also, once I finish writing up what I had using the 4th ed version, I'll let you go through it and tell me what you would prefer changed. For all I know I've gone way OP, or perhaps have even under made my character.

I'm currently getting my hands on a copy of 3rd ed, will have a read through as well.

What would we prefer changed?
You to not waste your own time making a 4th ed character.
I can send you a lil something something via pm or email to get you a pdf copy if you seem to struggle at what we keep hinting at to avoid legal persecution.  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

BegrudginglyGood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:58 pm
Thanks anyway, I just 'purchased' a copy so I'll have my sheet ready tomorrow.

xp  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:22 am
Mongooseh, if you insist on being not nice, at least please don't lump others in with you as sharing your sentiments. razz

I'm perfectly willing to tell you the alterations needed for your character to convert her from 4th ed to 3rd ed, Ms. Good :3

Also, the health system for 3rd ed (technically, 3rd ed revised) is almost identical to 4th, except you have 5xEarth wounds in your Out level, rather than in your Healthy level like in 4th.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:54 am
I could do a complete asspull and claim I was using the royal "we".

Secondly I posted that in a terrible mood and it didn't seem mean to me. 5:30am, lack of sleep, feeling ill and an exam in a couple of hours != cute fluffy bunnies but I fail to see anything mean said unless you apply voice tones onto it (really wish you guys wouldn't do that).

I mean we keep saying that we're playing 3rd edition revised and someone keeps going on in 4th and im just like

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:07 pm
It's okay guys, I've got used to Mongooseh's online personality (enough to not take everything that seems negatively toned to heart).

And to be clear now, I have started the conversion, which technically has turned out that its pretty much just creating it from scratch using 3rd ed. So I'm on the way to having a 3rd ed character. And I wasn't told that it was 3rd ed before I had started with the edition I had available. Questions since then were in aid of me using 3rd ed...

I just have to figure out the weapon rolls, I believe they are something like,

Attack: weapon skill + trait / keep trait (Kenjutsu 5 + Agility 3 / keep Agility 3)
8k3 before adding on modifiers if I'm using two weapons or in a kata.

Damage: Weapon stat + Strength / keep Weapon Stat?

Any sections still in red I am working on.

BegrudginglyGood

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:35 pm
BegrudginglyGood
It's okay guys, I've got used to Mongooseh's online personality (enough to not take everything that seems negatively toned to heart).

And to be clear now, I have started the conversion, which technically has turned out that its pretty much just creating it from scratch using 3rd ed. So I'm on the way to having a 3rd ed character. And I wasn't told that it was 3rd ed before I had started with the edition I had available. Questions since then were in aid of me using 3rd ed...

I just have to figure out the weapon rolls, I believe they are something like,

Attack: weapon skill + trait / keep trait (Kenjutsu 5 + Agility 3 / keep Agility 3)
8k3 before adding on modifiers if I'm using two weapons or in a kata.

Damage: Weapon stat + Strength / keep Weapon Stat?

Any sections still in red I am working on.

I'm glad you understand. Mongooseh, I'm not personally offended, but I have to try to have a level of impartiality since I thought how you came off COULD have been considered offensive, and I didn't want Ms. Good to take it the wrong way. She didn't, so I retract my accusations about your tone. No harm was done, so I hold absolutely nothing against you. smile

@ Ms. Good: Well, attack rolls and damage rolls work the same in 3rd AND 4th editions. Little conversion is needed. Your attack roll example is correct. Damage is a bit trickier. Take the katana, for example: DR (damage rating) 3k2. For ALL damage rolls, you add your strength to the dice rolled. So with a strength of 2, you would roll 5k2. It's REALLY hard to increase kept dice for damage rolls - generally, only by raising for increased damage (which DOES work differently between editions).

Also note that attack rolls are still technically "skill rolls", and benefit from emphases. So, if you had Kenjutsu 5 above, you would roll 8k3+5, or roll 8 dice, keep the 3 highest, and add 5 to the total result of the roll. Something that's very different between editions. 4th edition is much more survivable, but 3rd edition is much more deadly.

@ which edition is being used... the game DOES have the following title & tag: "[L5R 3eR] Jade Legacy" Sorry, I kind of assumed people would take that as the given edition without prompting. My mistake sweatdrop You're using 3rd edition REVISED, yes?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:20 pm
I'm so sorry, I suffer from 'Missing the small details' Curse...so I get a massive penalty to Observation. I missed 3eR in the title completely.

I'm going to have to RP my best for you guys to make up for all the chatter regarding my character.

And after checking, yes, I am now using the 3rd edition Revised L5R manual.

So am I correct in there being no Rank 3 bonus for Kenjutsu or Investigation? Only the listed rank 5 Kenjutsu one?

BegrudginglyGood

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:47 am
Yup! Also, there are a slew of benefits that come at rank 5 with any skill.

IIRC a free raise when you use them, +2 to insight, and for weapons, and you get to subtract that weapon's skill rank from your wound penalty in addition to the listed skill ranks. It's very, very good to get a skill at five or above ><  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:58 am
Also, part of the reason I prefer 3rd over 4th is because it rewards you more for taking skills that aren't about minmaxing your character. Lore skills primarily. Theology (basically, the skill to represent your faith) reaps HUGE insight rewards.

4th edition got rid of those, and instead gave tiny bonuses to Courtier and Etiquette and that's it. While those are good, it pretty much gives rewards to players for taking skills that they were going to take ANYWAYS.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

BegrudginglyGood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:35 pm
In that case...I might PM you Rain.

sweatdrop

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:40 pm
Or you could ask plainsfox or psychofish to help. I'm sure they will gladly step up to the job.

Me? Nope. They know the system better than I do and I pick skills with the well known "Oooh, shiny" method. Which usually entails me choosing skills I would like to have rather than what is effective. (For example I didn't even have ranks in defense till the end of chapter 1 despite it being a good way of surviving.)  

Mongooseh

Distinct Raider

8,825 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:44 pm
BegrudginglyGood
In that case...I might PM you Rain.

sweatdrop

As you wish it, Ms. Good. I aim to please! blaugh

Though, replies will probably wait til tomorrow. I was gone all evening fixing/cleaning up a coworker's PC. I'm just checking a few things then going to bed emotion_zzz

Alternatively, I'm only1rain@hotmail.com on MSN Messenger and Emperor Rain on AIM, if you have either.  
[L5R 3eR] Jade Legacy --- --- --- --- [Closed]

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 132 133 134 135 136 137 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff