Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply [D&D 4e] The Earth's Upheaval
Dungeons & Dragons - The Orb of Kendar Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 42 43 44 45 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:51 pm
Rain Yupa
@Aelgeirr:

The man would frown a bit at the questions. "That describes the kind of people I see every other week. No one of..." he pauses, thinking of the words. "Particularly malicious intent, have been around these parts in ages."

He adjusts his stance, before continuing. "Why would someone want to bring down a legion of monsters on their location? Or have they lifted the ban on people leaving already?"

"There's a ban on people leaving? Besides, how could they enforce it?" Aelgeirr's mind went to work on places where someone would hide out while waiting out a ban. He had to hope this place didn't have a sewer of some form. It seemed to be popular thing to do. When the bartender answered his question, Aelgeirr would bid good day to the man and try to think about what he really knew about this town, apart from the Orb of Kendar and things related to that. Maybe a bandit lair hidden under this building or that in times past?

OOC:
History: 10+15= 25  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:23 am
Mik4ilah
Mikah has left the server...

Flames Burning Within
Dwalin has left the server...

Skull Dres
Tafir has logged in! Loading...

Ryssa Blackblood
Enlak has logged in! Loading...

Paidi tou Selini
Mercy has logged in! Loading...

@ Aelgeirr:

The graying-haired man would shrug. "Some guards came through earlier, telling everyone to remain calm and not try to leave until the matter has been resolved. I believe they have guards posted at the roads out of town? It makes sense, if the person who did this is still here, right?"

Relieved to be... well, relieved, of his questioning, he would close (and re-lock) the door to the tavern. Aelgeirr, you try to reflect on what you've heard about Clearwell's sordid past.

... and really, and you're very confident on this, there isn't a sordid past. Highwaymen aside (which is not really any one settlement's fault for existing), the crime rate's been low. Nothing resembling organized crime, because people passing through and living in Clearwell have always boasted about feeling safe there; any attempts to unsafen it, so to speak, has usually been nipped in the bud as soon as it starts.

The most 'criminal' activity it has (which is slightly higher than the average locale) is petty thieves yanking various goods from unattended and unsecured trade wagons passing through. There is likely a black market pawn shop here that's off the books, but that's just an educated guess on your part. You wouldn't even begin to know where to look, especially post-disaster like this.

@ Mercy, Tafir, Enlak:

FLASHBACK TIME!

Quote:
Mayor Liartes would address the three of you as you stood before her desk. She looks like she, like all of you, hasn't slept, but being so much older than the rest of you, it looks like it hit her harder. Nearby, several guards are around, including an officer.

"First off, I do want to thank you for your assistance in repelling some of the monsters last night. I know you weren't asked to do so - hell, it could have simply been in self defense - but nevertheless, I appreciate it," she would start off, her voice strained with exhaustion.

"Right now, we have to clean this up as best we can, and do what we must to make sure we don't have a repeat of last night. It seems, like typical monster behavior, the creatures are nocturnal, so we should be safe for the next half a day. But I have no doubts that, without given effort to stem it, it will happen again."

At this point, she would give you a brief synopsis about the Orb of Kendar, and the impact that it has on this town's safety.

"If it's okay with the three of you, I would like to deputize you to seek out the orb, and return it to us. Ideally, before sundown. If you accept, you-" She would pause, noticing how Tafir kept looking at her engraved gold-plated name plate atop her desk, and putting it into her desk drawer. "If you accept, you will be allowed to investigate and search the town, and the surrounding countryside if necessary. If not, then you'll be asked to remain within the town with everyone else until the matter has been rectified. Lieutenant Zathers have some guards fetching another pair of adventurers from last night who's actions mirror yours, for a similar proposal. I hope you would consider working with them, rather than against, to resolve this crisis."

What do you three want to do? So far, you've yet to turn up any solid evidence so far.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Skull Dres

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:35 pm
At first, it was little more than a curiosity of how much the engraved gold-plated name plate would go for, and how easy it would be to fence; a simple focus for Tafiir's tired mind. But as she took it from his sight, it became a challenge ... he took careful mental notes as to which drawer, and how far her hand went in, the Mayor placed the name plate.

Disagreeing to be deputized, and leaving the office with some friendly words "You may wish to get some sleep, Mayor Liartes, same with your boys; worst case, it would better to be wide awake this night." and a smile.

This would be one of the times, it might be better not to work with the law. Though, the thought of getting some rest himself didn't sound half bad.

After the meeting; Tafiir began look asking around for strangers, known thieves and other lovely people of the town, or where such people would mingle...

Minor action: Knack for Success (+4 skill check) Streetwise +3 = 21
(how much time remains 'till nightfall?)  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:01 pm
"Whatever it takes to get to crush more of those vile beasts," Enlak would say after the rather sketchy looking fellow had left, "I'll do it, but don't come griping if you don't like how I do it." During the entire speech from this lady mayor, the rather large man was leaning on his pick, the head of it on the floor while he was propped up on the pommel. In all honesty, he didn't know where to start with looking for this thing, but it sounded like what was going on here would rapidly become as bad as had happened to his own people, and Enlak couldn't just sit by and watch it happen. Something needed to die.

He left the office and headed for the center of town (or wherever the tower was), walking around the small building and wondering how they thought something so puny could keep anything of importance safe.  

Ryssa Blackblood

High-functioning Sex Symbol

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200

Kowsauni
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:36 am
Ambra Goldstar
Mage in Training

User Image

After the astounding results of her arcana check, Ambra would grab her chin and nod importantly. She would then state loudly to herself, "Yes, of course; it all makes sense now."

Ambra would turn to leave but before doing so would give the interior of the tower one more glance over just in case she missed something.

(Perception Check +4, can't win them all)  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:33 pm
Aelgeirr would groan to himself as he seemed to be getting no where. He'd try to scavenge up the information on who a pawn broker might be in this shabby beat up town and figured he may as well start with the usual suspects. This meaning he would start off with the most questionable looking shopkeeper he could find.

OOC:
Streetwise: 19+1 =20  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:40 pm
"Ah yes, I remember it like it was yesterday." she declared dramatically to the villager, sweeping one arm out wide while the other clung intimately to his arm, her goddess-given assets squishing tantalizingly into the captive limb. It was less impressive than it sounded, considering the event happened not even a day, but mere hours ago. "The shady man stormed off to go mete justice on his own terms from the shadows - he didn't have a cape nor mask with him at the time, but I suspect this is because he wishes to maintain a mild-mannered alter ego by day. Meanwhile the massive talking statue declared bloody vengeance upon the entire monster population, swearing to eradicate the evil at its source. While I, my friend, decided upon the more prudent route."

She held her drama hand back in close to her chest in earnest, the motion jostling those heavenly cushions upon him in ways a peasant could only dream. "Realizing that the monster slaying madmen front was well cared for, I swore my love to your vigilant authorities' cause and departed to hunt down the source of the problem; the very thief who stole your precious artifact, promising to meet with the other deputized adventurers later."

She gave a sagely nod before letting go of the man's arm, only to fervently grasp his shoulders and stare passionately into his eyes. "And that is why you must tell me where your town's temple, or at the very least priest, is! I, um... seem to have gotten myself lost for... well precisely how long is hardly important."  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:59 pm
@ Tafiir:

Concerning how much time left, it's probably been almost an hour since dawn. Hardly anyone slept all that much, so everyone gets an early start!

You break away from the others and lead your own investigation. You know what they say, it takes a rogue to know a rogue!

It does not take you very long to find a couple low-life-looking fellows; two half-orcs, a human, and a halfling who are making plans to steal some horses and getting the hell out of Dodge Clearwell, asap.

--------------------

@ Aelgeirr:

You go around to what counts as the seedier parts of Clearwell (though trust me, they aren't very seedy). The seediest shopkeeper you find is a tobacco shop run by a gnome by the name of Mr. Gemison - the tip you received from one overly helpful citizen who seemed rather relaxed, upon finding out that you were a high elf, was that you could get the 'good stuff' there.

Currently, the door to the place was closed, as was almost all the shops were - no one was expecting to make a profit today, it seems.

--------------------

@ Ambra:

You decide to do an up-close physical inspection just to make OH EW YOU JUST WALKED INTO A SPIDER WEB AND ITS ON YOUR HORNS AND EVERYTHING EW EW EW EW

--------------------

@ Enlak:

To be fair, the 'small building' was taller than you, but not by much. If you jumped well enough, you could probably grab hold of the top.

There was a tiefling girl and two male guards there, the former already apparently poking around inside while the others keep half an eye on her. She looks really young, too! What was she doing here?

--------------------

@ Mercy:

The man would blanch ghost-white towards the end there, a distinct decline from the state about being merely uncomfortable and that he was married when you first approached him.

"The... the Orb of Kendar has been stolen?"

Whoops. Apparently, that's a thing now! Doubly so since this was undoubtedly a slight spectacle, and at least a few people overheard (or think they overheard correctly) you, and frightened chatter begins to ignite, threatening to spread like wildfire in but a moment's time.

Yyyyyoouuu might want to see if you can Diplomacy (Bluff?) this back from the brink. The Mayor conveniently left out the part where the townsfolk didn't know yet.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Paidi tou Selini rolled 1 20-sided dice: 14 Total: 14 (1-20)

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:13 am
The faithful avenger let go of the man's arms and stared blankly, her brow twitching as even more townsfolk began to chirp up among themselves. "You mean to tell me nobody heard the commotion and looked out a window to see the attack last night? Goddess help me, rumor spreads like cold butter here, how do I help a town that does not gossip?"

Well, this was quite a state, but let it not be said that an adept of the goddess of shadows ever incited mass panic. No, Mercy merely unhooked her massive battleaxe - a bit hard not to notice considering the thing was almost larger than her - and slammed it into the ground with a crack that shattered the cobbled dirt packed solid by years of foot traffic. "Silence! Has small town politics taught none of you subtlety? Your mayor and local protectorate have been working tirelessly to resolve this matter, and clearly an unorganized defense of the town was good enough that none of you know of a single death last night, much less tonight when we will be far more organized and prepared. Atop it all, I am here."

She spread an arm wide and pointed with the other at each and every townsperson who met her eyes. "Each and every one of you are agents of love. Every giddy romantic gesture, every night of lustful passion, every hand-held, heart-pounding tryst in moonlit shadows is a prayer of tribute to Sehanine. My goddess has heard your prayers and found you worthy, and so she has sent you this-!"

With one mighty heave she picked her ax up and held it above her head, the two crescent blades shining like twin moons in the morning sun. "In this town today, and henceforth until the Orb is returned, love is defended! Any monster who seeks to invade Sehanine's sacred shadows! Any thief who seeks to tear lovers from each others' arms! All enemies of love shall face this blade and know the Mercy of Death! You. Are. Defended."

With practiced grace she spun the weapon and easily clipped it back on the holster upon her back, fully expecting to leave the locals in stunned silence. To the man she had originally be speaking with - or 'at' as the case may be - she gave a pleasant smile as if nothing had happened. "Now, the location of your temple, if you please?"

[Rolling Diplomacy +9 to calm and reassure the crowd = 23]  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:02 am
Enlak was not surprised by the guards' presence here, as it seemed to say he was in the right spot. However, the building was still pitifully small, in his opinion. A quick glance at the door told the large man he was never getting through it. It would probably be easier to lif up part of the roof and climb in that way if he absolutely had to get in that way. In fact... He began to look for signs that something like that might have happened (Perception 27 Crit!). As he finished up, he noticed the Tiefling and called out, "Child. You should not be playing here. It is a crime scene." To be fair, even if he was wrong guessing her young age, she did only come up to his belly button.  

Ryssa Blackblood

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200

Skull Dres

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:27 pm
"Glorious day, revanthas(Elven = friends)!" Tafiir called out to the lovely group of individuals, And with his friendly smile continued as he approached. "I lost you after last night. Good to see you are in good health!"

Stopping a few feet away from the group, far enough to keep an eye on all members but close enough to have a quiet conversation. "Now, we are going to play a game. You will answer my questions, each answer will earn you one coin. You win ten coins, you can go on your way. Leave early, I will Tell the guards as you ride off, or, shouting for the guards if you try to draw blood...Hard to hide with a mob on your heels." Reaching into his pocket he pulled out a few coins.

"First question: What do you know of Kendar's orb?"
"Second: And Who would want it?"

Intimidate = 15, 17, 18, and 9
Insight = 14

Edit:  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:25 am
Ambra Goldstar
Mage in Training

User Image

Ambra was squeezed her eyes shut as she rapidly tried to pat the cobweb out of her hair. "Ew, gross, gross, gross!" She would jump slightly at the booming voice of the goliath. Normally, Ambra was used to such misunderstandings about her appearance, but at this particular moment she was in no such mood for it. She felt her ancient, ancestral, hellfire anger well up in her. "Now look here, I am seventeen!" Ambra would whip around to face the insulting person with fire in her eyes, but it would extinguished as she realized she was staring at his stomach. Ambra would strain her neck to look upwards at the massive person standing before her. Before she realized it, the words escaped her lips. "Wow... you're tall."

Ambra would quickly turn away, embarrassed at her comment. She would clear her throat and continue on in an important sounding manner. "Nonetheless. I have been deputized by the mayor to assist in the ongoing investigation into the attack by wild beasts last night--so unless you have something important to say to me, I must get back to work."

Ambra's tail twitched impatiently. She kept trying to carry herself in a dignified important manner, though she still had bits of cobweb stuck on her horns.  

Kowsauni
Crew

Ryssa Blackblood

11,215 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:15 am
Enlak had watched the girl's fruitless fight with what appeared to be spiderwebs, and though the shouted at him for his assumption, her tone changed almost immediately when she actually saw the goliath. The reaction she gave him was almost enough to make the large man start to laugh, but instead he held it in.

He was rather surprised that she claimed to be seventeen, though that didn't really nullify his earlier assumption. What did catch his attention was that the girl also claimed to be working on this case. Enlak reached down and picked a bit of cobweb from her horn she'd missed and replied, "Seventeen is not much different from a child. But, I am here to work with you. What do you know so far?"  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:21 am
Aelgeirr was the model of very controlled restraint as he learned the location of the drug dealer...and the reason why many were so insistent that they be called Eladarin and not High Elves. Regardless, Aelgeirr knocked at the door, making sure it was loud enough to not be ignored.

"I'm a deputy here assigned to aid this city. I need to speak with you about an urgent matter."  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:12 am
@ Enlak, Ambra:

Enlak, there was definitely no sign of 'forced entry'; the tower was constructed in the form of stone blocks, but the stone arced upwards in an ellipse, and they were masterfully assembled (you suspect either magic, or... dwarven work). If someone had removed some to go in through the top, it would have caused others to collapse inward. The two guards here insinuate this place is guarded, so that would be difficult for someone to pull off and miraculously fix without anyone noticing.

As the two guards gaze back and forth between the two of you, the one from before who spoke to Ambra would ask, "So, what did you find?"

--------------------

@ Mercy:

You would give your speech, as townsfolk would begin to gather and listen to your narration. People of all walks of like would gawk in awe as you went on just so, though you did see one mother cover the ears of her child when you got to the part about the trysts.

People would seem to disperse as you finished - not necessarily uplifted, as you might expect, but not downtrodden either. You succeeded as pacifying their fears, it would seem.

As you once more turned to the man you accosted addressed before, he would simply point to the temple that sat just behind where Mercy stood, one dedicated to Avandra. Like, seriously, one move action away. Two of the priests had apparently even come outside to listen to your speech.

--------------------

@ Tafiir:

Most of the lot would give you blank looks when you started. The halfling did reach for a dagger at his hilt, but the human would stop him.

"I'm the only one who's a resident of the town, dumbass. Not everyone knows about things like that," she would say, glowering at you. "I'm not in the mood for your games, and frankly, if we stabbed you to death right now the guards would just think you were another monster victim found after-the-fact."

That said, she would shrug. "Everyone who grew up here knows what the Orb of Kendar is. And none that I can think of are depraved enough to throw the entire town under the carriage. Maybe an out-of-towner, but then you're asking me about someone I don't know about. Now, why don't you tell me what you want with the Orb of Kendar, and maybe I won't turn you in to the authorities for a reward for trying to steal it for yourself."

At this point, the group would be facing you, the two half-orcs (who seemed to be twins!) began to slowly circle around you.

--------------------

@ Aelgeirr:

As you get to the door and are about to knock, you hear someone call out to some people he referred to as 'revanthas', or his friends, in elven. If you look, you would see a drow(!!) walk into an alleyway.

If you listen, you would hear the words 'Kendar's Orb' and 'Orb of Kendar' dropped between people discussing things in the alleyway.

Your first lead! biggrin  
[D&D 4e] The Earth's Upheaval

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 42 43 44 45 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games