Welcome to Gaia! ::

RP for Fantasy, Love, and Action

Back to Guilds

A fun place to role-play with Gaians of all ages and skill levels in a variety of genres 

Tags: Roleplaying, RPing, Fantasy, Romance, Action 

Reply RPFLA Home
Guild Wide Out Of Character Chat (break the shyness here) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should the Guild Chat Remain?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:23 pm
Sepharius Necromicon

where do folks rp these days. Gaia doesn't seem like the place most people go unless the people that used to just don't do it anymore.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:21 am
Novama
Sepharius Necromicon

where do folks rp these days. Gaia doesn't seem like the place most people go unless the people that used to just don't do it anymore.

There definitely isn't as many people as before. This is true. But I have found plenty of people willing to rp. I have an rp going on in the guild at the moment with two active people. I also run a fairy tail guild that is rather active too. I do not know of another place that does rp though.  

Eleryia

Demonic Warlord

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:31 am
Sepharius Necromicon
Novama
Sepharius Necromicon

There definitely isn't as many people as before. This is true. But I have found plenty of people willing to rp. I have an rp going on in the guild at the moment with two active people. I also run a fairy tail guild that is rather active too. I do not know of another place that does rp though.

Right. Gaia has somewhere around 10,000 users on gaia throughout the day. There are definately people here rp'ing. However, there used to be 50,000+ users on throughout the day with a 100,000 spike on heavy traffic days. I would think the rp'ers of gaia would be replaced by other rp'ers, so I assume the rp'ers that would be here have left for other places and I'm not sure what those other places are. I heard facebook has some rp groups. Perhaps some mmo's that support rp although mmos have always done that generally...  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:22 am
Novama
Sepharius Necromicon
Novama
Sepharius Necromicon

Right. Gaia has somewhere around 10,000 users on gaia throughout the day. There are definately people here rp'ing. However, there used to be 50,000+ users on throughout the day with a 100,000 spike on heavy traffic days. I would think the rp'ers of gaia would be replaced by other rp'ers, so I assume the rp'ers that would be here have left for other places and I'm not sure what those other places are. I heard facebook has some rp groups. Perhaps some mmo's that support rp although mmos have always done that generally...

You also have to think of the newer generations too. Probably not into rp as much as our generation is. [I assume around our late to early twenties gen]  

Eleryia

Demonic Warlord

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:45 am
Sepharius Necromicon

You also have to think of the newer generations too. Probably not into rp as much as our generation is. [I assume around our late to early twenties gen]

Perhaps. However, games like dungeons and dragons are best sellers on sites like amazon. there are a lot of folks interesting in roleplaying games in general. I would think that would extend to forum roleplaying in the absence of a gaming console or close circle of friends in person.

I grew up in a cornfield most my life, so it made sense that I would get into online stuff. They say that today many young folk have hindered face to face social skills and feel more at ease behind a screen of some sort to communicate. I would expect to see a rise in online roleplaying somewhere.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:05 pm
Novama
Sepharius Necromicon

Perhaps. However, games like dungeons and dragons are best sellers on sites like amazon. there are a lot of folks interesting in roleplaying games in general. I would think that would extend to forum roleplaying in the absence of a gaming console or close circle of friends in person.

I grew up in a cornfield most my life, so it made sense that I would get into online stuff. They say that today many young folk have hindered face to face social skills and feel more at ease behind a screen of some sort to communicate. I would expect to see a rise in online roleplaying somewhere.

It could just be gaia in general. They haven't done anything spectacular in awhile.  

Eleryia

Demonic Warlord

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:21 am
Sepharius Necromicon
Novama
Sepharius Necromicon

It could just be gaia in general. They haven't done anything spectacular in awhile.

I've been contemplating running another rp, but I prefer my rp's to use stats in them. Means just as much effort goes into the mechanics of the thing as the story.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:40 pm
Novama
Sepharius Necromicon
Novama
Sepharius Necromicon

I've been contemplating running another rp, but I prefer my rp's to use stats in them. Means just as much effort goes into the mechanics of the thing as the story.

I enjoy stats.  

Eleryia

Demonic Warlord

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:31 am
Sepharius Necromicon

I enjoy stats.

I've tried a handful of stat post systems. The ones I like the most give the stats more concrete worth in that they incorporate dice rolls. However, the general populace of gaia can't handle that.

The most successful systems just have stats that act as static gauges like height and weight do. ex: I'm faster than him. He's sturdier than me. etc..

While that alone seems to work okay, I find a lot of folk feel its constricting to their characters because most are slightly op. ex: I want to be powerful, fast, and highly resistant/dodgy. Without any clear weakness, a majority of the characters look like that without stats.

So I incorporate development over the course of the rp where they can spend points to update their characters. This becomes tricky however. A few months in and the noobs just joining the rp feel left out or underpowered, etc.. This has led me to believe that stats should be balanced and cemented. The development should take place in the abilities/techniques area of the character.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:36 am
Novama

Sepharius Necromicon

Though I can't speak for every old gen user of gaia, I can at least share with the both of you my opinion on the matter.
Hope you don't mind me just barging in on your conversation. ^^;

I joined gaia back in 2009 and I used to be so in love with this site.
I used to be on just about every day unless I absolutely couldn't!
I've been a member of this guild since the day I joined and I've stuck by it even as it began changing. I'm very hopeful of the revamp and I'm going to try to become more active again to do my part to help.
Rping, writing, all of that became my biggest passion here. I will always be grateful to gaia and its many users for that...

But then gaia changed and it hasn't been the same since.
Most new gen users spend more time working on getting these crazy fancy new items and doing random giveaways or showing off their avis than focusing on the rp aspect.
I'm sure that has a big reason to do with the decline of users as well as the fact that guilds began to die out gradually as more and more users moved to the forums.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing! But sometimes people may not be comfortable with changes and it can discourage them.
I tried to adjust and adapt and for years on I continued to be loyal to gaia.
But now...you'd be lucky to see me get on maybe five times out of the year.

Rps that I created wouldn't last longer than a week or some would die as quick as I joined them. People didn't seem to put as much effort into it anymore.
Or rps would expect you to have certain levels of literacy or you had to have pretty posts and I will admit that I was a part of that fad too.
We all got so misguided and lost on trying to have the best rps that some of us forgot how to put effort into making a good lasting one.
Ones with development and just about all forms of creativity.
I mean, I remember when rps could go on for more than 2,000+ pages!
Now you'd be lucky if they could reach 10...

Things change. Inevitably. The world is changing. People are changing. And so, in result, gaia has made changes to meet these new demands.
So as much as I want to complain and pout that gaia is nowhere near as wonderful as it used to be, I know there are probably hundreds of the younger generation who still think it is wonderful.
This is the gaia they know and all I can do is hope that they are still able to enjoy it and build strong bonds like I was able to. Because you're right about that, Novama!
Some people do find it easier to say what they need to say with a keyboard rather than face to face.
If it weren't for gaia, I wouldn't have the most amazing friend in my life who knows me inside and out because this site gave me the courage to just be me.
As long as gaia can continue to do that, I'll be able to let go of my own old geezer nostalgia and wishing for the good ole days.

As for where do most old users go to rp now? Well, again, I can't speak for everyone...
I tried for a long while to find any sites as good as gaia, but I never felt satisfied or openly welcomed in any of them like I did here.
So I no longer rp.
My darling friend and I have one story that we rp together in google docs and my boyfriend and I have started one as well.
But that's pretty much it.

Anyway! That's my long girly spiel! X3
And like I said, that's just my very own opinion.
There are still many users I used to rp with that are still on just about every day and love the new ways of gaia.
Or there are probably handfuls of new users that dislike gaia and unfortunately will never get to know just how beautiful it used to be.
Everyone's story and opinion is different, but I hope that mine was able to give you guys some insight.

your classic mess

Peaceful Star

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:29 am
your classic mess

You made a good read 3nodding thanks for that.

I know I'm on here largely to keep the guild going. Accepting the applicants, answering questions, making conversation, etc..

I rarely rp on here anymore though. I rp on other sites that aren't as good or popular as gaia used to be. I remember back in 2006 or 7 that we were peaking somewhere around 100,000+ users on the site at one time at any given time. New rp's went up every day and you always had interest in an rp. It didn't mean the rp would last as folks were easily excited and distracted by newer rp's or something, but it was still an exciting time.

That said, I don't see gaia getting back to that. A bit sad, but it's okay. However, I say that on the condition that post rp'ers have another cool place to go or to continue coming back to.

Barton town seems the most active place on the site for rp'ing. I kinda wonder if pitching our efforts there to keep things rolling may be better than hiding out in the guild. Guilds were good when there were so many people. It gave users the ability to narrow the searches. Guilds also provided ways for newcomers to learn. This guild still teaches those willing to ask.

I'm still just wondering and waiting for what the next big thing is that will last another 15 years.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:17 am
Novama

Thank you for taking the time to read it and creating this thread~! ^^

But I understand. If and when I do get on gaia, it's mainly to say hi to some of the friends who have stayed.
Or I'm just itching to rp, but never sure where to start anymore!
A part of me wants to create one for here for now, but I just haven't been able to find the time.
Yeah, lovely life gets in my way more often these days. XD

And I can agree. Gaia will never go back to the way it used to be.
I've learned to make peace with that and I'm open to new ideas to bring the rping aspect back.
That being said though, as much as I talk, I'm actually a very nervous and shy person.
I don't often go outside my comfort zone or just throw out a random post out there like I just did. >.<
I like hiding in my guilds, it's comfy here. :3

So if we were to take things out to Barton Town, I must admit that it may take me a bit to adjust to that.
But I'm up for trying anything if it means I might can meet new willing rpers and create new friendships.
Or to be able to share any of my knowledge to help others in their writing.

As far as the next big thing, I'm hoping it'll be something just as fun as gaia used to be.
I've been craving more than just the experience of rping and being creative.
I miss the social aspect that came along with it.
Meeting new people, building friendships, learning their stories and providing ways to help them...
It just used to make me feel useful and I learned to love helping others.
I could go on all day about the many things gaia has taught me or the many opportunities it provided!

your classic mess

Peaceful Star

Novama
Crew

Dangerous Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:23 pm
your classic mess
Novama

But I understand. If and when I do get on gaia, it's mainly to say hi to some of the friends who have stayed.
A part of me wants to create one for here for now, but I just haven't been able to find the time.

I've learned to make peace with that and I'm open to new ideas to bring the rping aspect back.
That being said though, as much as I talk, I'm actually a very nervous and shy person.
I don't often go outside my comfort zone or just throw out a random post out there like I just did. >.<

So if we were to take things out to Barton Town, I must admit that it may take me a bit to adjust to that.
But I'm up for trying anything if it means I might can meet new willing rpers and create new friendships.

As far as the next big thing, I'm hoping it'll be something just as fun as gaia used to be.
Meeting new people, building friendships, learning their stories and providing ways to help them...
I could go on all day about the many things gaia has taught me or the many opportunities it provided!

I don't think we should all jump ship. There was a big split in the guild a year ago when folks thought we should leave the guild for another guild. I think that those that wish to keep rp'ing should make friends here, but be open to the idea of rp'ing anywhere on the site. I think this place is great for learning. great for small rp's. But if you want the days of ol' feel, then barton is the best bet. It's easy, even now, to get rp's with dozen or more folk and if you a good dm, you can keep it going for a while.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:00 am
Novama
Sepharius Necromicon

I enjoy stats.

I've tried a handful of stat post systems. The ones I like the most give the stats more concrete worth in that they incorporate dice rolls. However, the general populace of gaia can't handle that.

The most successful systems just have stats that act as static gauges like height and weight do. ex: I'm faster than him. He's sturdier than me. etc..

While that alone seems to work okay, I find a lot of folk feel its constricting to their characters because most are slightly op. ex: I want to be powerful, fast, and highly resistant/dodgy. Without any clear weakness, a majority of the characters look like that without stats.

So I incorporate development over the course of the rp where they can spend points to update their characters. This becomes tricky however. A few months in and the noobs just joining the rp feel left out or underpowered, etc.. This has led me to believe that stats should be balanced and cemented. The development should take place in the abilities/techniques area of the character.

Gonna reply to one post at a time to make it easier. I would love to join a stat rp just like this. It sounds amazing. I play DnD and all kinds of rpg's. Stats do not scare me.  

Eleryia

Demonic Warlord

Eleryia

Demonic Warlord

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:06 am
Novama
your classic mess
Novama

I don't think we should all jump ship. There was a big split in the guild a year ago when folks thought we should leave the guild for another guild. I think that those that wish to keep rp'ing should make friends here, but be open to the idea of rp'ing anywhere on the site. I think this place is great for learning. great for small rp's. But if you want the days of ol' feel, then barton is the best bet. It's easy, even now, to get rp's with dozen or more folk and if you a good dm, you can keep it going for a while.

1., What a fantastic read. Thank you for your insight. I do agree with you for the most part. But I still find guilds to be very active. I think it's more or so the people you find aren't the same anymore. As you stated, the new gen just don't like the guilds as much as they enjoy barton town or showing off their avis. But I run two other guilds right now with 50+ members.While that might not be much, they are all active.

2. The split in the guild is a saore subject for a lot of people still lol.,  
RPFLA Home

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces