Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
[M&M 2nd edition] 1 AZ - Issue #1 underway! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Brains
  Brains
View Results

Virulent Lover

Dangerous Lover

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:30 am
I was actually thinking of a disability. Well, two.. Loss of an eye and possibly loss of hearing. Explained by the development of his bone growth.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:55 pm
Deafness is worth 4 points
One eye (-4 with ranged attacks) is worth 3 points  

Mackie the Knife

6,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:13 pm
Virulent Lover
I snagged intimidate for interactions? >>
As far as the other characters, what do we have?
I know there's one dex based...
I had another idea but if this character fills a potential 'gap', why bother.

Toughness or defense... I'm not too familiar with the system, so is there a preference, as far as what's best?
How many points would the immunity for not needing to breath be?

When you make an attack roll, you roll a d20 + your attack bonus, vs a DC of 10+defense bonus(+size,+other, but those are rare).

So if you have a +5 attack bonus and attack someone with a +5 defense bonus, you hit them on a 10+.

Then the target who's hit makes a saving throw. For an attack that requires a Fortitude, Reflex, or Will save, the DC is 10+attacker's damage bonus. For an attack that requires a Toughness save, the DC is 15+attacker's damage bonus.

So a straight up Strength 20 punch (+5 modifier) requires the person to roll a DC 20 Toughness check. With a +5 toughness modifier, they need to get a 15+.

It is NORMALLY assumed that, being superheroes, you are always doing nonlethal damage. If the target fails their Toughness save by 1-4, they are 'Bruised'. Each time they are Bruised, they suffer a cumulative -1 penalty on their Toughness saves vs nonlethal damage.

If they fail by 5-9, they are Bruised + Stunned (unable to take actions, losing your dodge bonus to Defense (1/2 your defense bonus), and suffering an additional -2 penalty to defense) until just before the attacker's turn in initiative order (so Stunned benefits everyone but him/her).

Failure by 10-14 means that they are not only Stunned, but also Staggered, which means for the rest of combat, they can take either a single standard OR move action each round, but not both.

Failure by 15+ means the person is knocked Unconscious.

A Critical hit increases the damage (and save Fort/Ref/Will/Tough DC) by 5.

If you choose to do Lethal damage, a failure by 1-9 also adds Injured, and failure of 10-14 adds Disabled. Failure by 15+ adds Dying. Injured is the same as Bruised, except the penalty is for Toughness saves vs Lethal damage. Disabled knocks the character to Dying the following round if they take any strenuous actions, which is pretty much anything that's not crawling to safety out of combat or calling for help. Dying forces Fortitude saves every half hour against an increasing DC, until you beat it by 10 or roll a natural 20 (no longer dying) or fail (you die).  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:39 pm
Oh, right.. I forgot that size comes with the drawback of being easier to hit.
Perhaps this route isn't quite what I want to do then. I'm going to look into the idea some more first. Might go a slightly alternate route for powers, while keeping the same character.

The enhanced stats I'm seeing from the Paragon/Powerhouse builds are a result of what, precisely?  

Virulent Lover

Dangerous Lover

Wire_Colossus

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,875 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Gender Swap 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:50 pm
Luckily for me my character is roughly balanced at least in my opinion. And the best part of those scorpions she builds are these three simple facts. If she is knocked unconscious, they can continue to fight without her, and so keep her from being killed. They don't fall apart unless destroyed in combat, and they don't have to be ranged combat attackers. There are so many things I love about my characters power.

Your idea is a good one, all you need to do really is find a way to do what you want with the points you've got without over spending and without going too complicated.

This game will difinitely be fun when it get's going but this brings me to one more important question.

Will we all be starting out in the same city that the story takes place it?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:52 pm
Yep! I plan on you being in your home city about 50% of the time 3nodding

Leaving shortly to go see Sucker Punch. I'll be back later tonight ^-^  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Virulent Lover

Dangerous Lover

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:53 pm
Enjoy the movie!  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:59 pm
Virulent Lover
Oh, right.. I forgot that size comes with the drawback of being easier to hit.
Perhaps this route isn't quite what I want to do then. I'm going to look into the idea some more first. Might go a slightly alternate route for powers, while keeping the same character.

The enhanced stats I'm seeing from the Paragon/Powerhouse builds are a result of what, precisely?

Enhanced Ability (page 84). Basically, it's the same exact cost of increasing your stats normally, but you can use Extra Effort to get a temporary boost. I have a house rule where, beyond a certain limit, your stats need to be Enhanced (see the first post). You can have a 30 as your max stat at PL 5.

Also, your size wasn't changed I think with the previous build you and Mackie worked on O_o

Also also, I think the gun slinger is out.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Virulent Lover

Dangerous Lover

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:06 pm
Oooh, alright. Nevermind, things are good. Gonna go ahead and pick-up the one eye disability, as long as you're okay with it.

I'll type up a sheet tonight.

Can someone simplify regeneration for me? Specifically, the practicality of it with sparing increases. I'm debating taking a few ranks.

Sheet is started. I'll finish it off tomorrow. Thing meets Marrow  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:54 pm
Virulent Lover
Oooh, alright. Nevermind, things are good. Gonna go ahead and pick-up the one eye disability, as long as you're okay with it.

I'll type up a sheet tonight.

Can someone simplify regeneration for me? Specifically, the practicality of it with sparing increases. I'm debating taking a few ranks.

Sheet is started. I'll finish it off tomorrow. Thing meets Marrow

Looked over your character sheet. The attack bonus for melee should be +5 due to your feat.

Regarding healing and regeneration:
Normal Healing:
Make a Constitution roll (+3, with a +1 for each failed check for the same condition) against a DC10 to recover from damage conditions, after a specified period of rest.
For Bruised condition, you make this roll once per 10 rounds of rest, with a minimum of 1 success per 10 minutes. You cannot recover from Bruised in you have any other damage.
For Staggered, it's once per hour of rest, but you cannot recover from Staggered if you are Disabled.
For Unconscious, once per 10 rounds, but you must stabilize first if you are Dying.
For Injured, roll once per hour of rest, with a minimum of 1 success per 10 hours.
For Disabled, one roll per day is allowed.
Ability Damage recovers normally at the rate of 1 point per day.

Regeneration:
Each rank of Regeneration can do one of four things:
* Give a +1 bonus to your Constitution rolls to recover from damage.
* Reduce the amount of rest required between recovery rolls for a specific damage condition.
* Increase the rate of Ability Damage recovery.
* Allow recovery from death. 1 rank allows a roll after 1 week, additional ranks reduce this wait time.

Ranks are allocated between these four abilities at time of purchase.  

Mackie the Knife

6,500 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100

Virulent Lover

Dangerous Lover

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:11 am
Mm, I'm going to withdraw interest from this game, and let you guys go ahead and play. Not so much because I don't want to play, as I don't want to have to repeatedly ask questions about various details of the system, without having a book always at hand(Hand to give it back). Perhaps, in the future, I'll snag myself a copy but at the time being, it just isn't feasible.

Thanks for all the help, folks. Enjoy the campaign!  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:02 pm
A LOT of the rules are specific scenario stuff. The nitty gritty of the system is fairly simple, and not all that difficult once you realize that everything involves you rolling a single 1d20. For most healing, it can be presumed you heal all bruised conditions between scenes (only a problem if you jump from fight to fight to fight), and most of the lethal ones I think can be fixed up with a couple days rest.

But if you do wish to withdraw, I cannot stop you. I'm sorry to see you go!  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Virulent Lover

Dangerous Lover

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:46 pm
I do indeed wish to go, Rain.
Although the campaign sounds quite intriguing.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:06 am
I can't help but fear that the existing players are planning on just killing zombies the whole time. The billions of zombies are more of a scenario hurdle than a direct antagonist. They'll be facing much more sinister things. ^o^

If you stick around the guild, feel free to watch them squirm. You can always join at a later date.

I'll have some time to post in most of my games this evening, and tomorrow I plan on getting this game started smile  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:06 pm
Well right now, that's what he's planning on, cause he doesn't know of these things.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff