Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Ephemeral Skies (3.5; Recruiting) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Slave Xaccheus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:58 am
Hmmmm... Would a swashbuckler (complete warrior) be an okay Monk substitute, as we're using them for all kinds of buckle-swashing? I've had a better character idea.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:12 am
Arc Vembris
Disciple of Sakura
InuVash255
Arc Vembris
Disciple of Sakura
Captain Siddig Shevat...Lyndie Kestrel...Thragan Gurn...Jeine...Father Pierre D’Leon...Anafa Airabel...Djalance Skyhawk...Ksenia Nadezhda...Sabine Edwarth...Casey “Chuckles” Gambolt

Holy crap, does this story even need PCs?

tbh, i read all of those, and i was super impressed

our DM brought the ship to life before we even stepped foot on it crying

Well, thank you. To be honest, I had to restrain myself in picking pretty pictures for crew, and then had to wrack my brains to actually give them personalities...

But that's because I'm a very visual person.

And, honestly, who's to say that all those NPCs will live throughout the whole campaign? I certainly don't guarantee anything. You should see how often I off NPCs players like. I'm like Joss Whedon that way. User Image

That's good, I feel like the 11th wheel on this ship

Another part of the reason that there's a full NPC crew is so that you guys wouldn't feel obligated to fill positions you didn't want to. I didn't want anyone feeling like they had to man the ballistae if they'd rather be diving into melee with the enemy, for example. Nothing says you wouldn't be better at it, but you don't have to do it if you'd rather not.  

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

Xboxplayerj

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:24 am
Disciple of Sakura
Arc Vembris
Disciple of Sakura
InuVash255
Arc Vembris
Disciple of Sakura
Captain Siddig Shevat...Lyndie Kestrel...Thragan Gurn...Jeine...Father Pierre D’Leon...Anafa Airabel...Djalance Skyhawk...Ksenia Nadezhda...Sabine Edwarth...Casey “Chuckles” Gambolt

Holy crap, does this story even need PCs?

tbh, i read all of those, and i was super impressed

our DM brought the ship to life before we even stepped foot on it crying

Well, thank you. To be honest, I had to restrain myself in picking pretty pictures for crew, and then had to wrack my brains to actually give them personalities...

But that's because I'm a very visual person.

And, honestly, who's to say that all those NPCs will live throughout the whole campaign? I certainly don't guarantee anything. You should see how often I off NPCs players like. I'm like Joss Whedon that way. User Image

That's good, I feel like the 11th wheel on this ship

Another part of the reason that there's a full NPC crew is so that you guys wouldn't feel obligated to fill positions you didn't want to. I didn't want anyone feeling like they had to man the ballistae if they'd rather be diving into melee with the enemy, for example. Nothing says you wouldn't be better at it, but you don't have to do it if you'd rather not.

I can understand that but why limit us to having only a monk or blade magic class? I mean only the swordsage even sounds pirate-ish  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:50 am
Because she is the dm, her game. If she wanted we could have been even more limited, like we all have to be elves with white hair and a six foot katana. If you don't like it then don't create a character and wait for the next...Simple, no?

Sorry...

Does anyone know of a feat or something that would ether change the monk wisdom things to another stat or give spell casters armor casting?

I am trying to think up a crusader or monk/ sorcerer and I don't want the arcane spell failure to get in the way. I know of the battle sorcerer option in UA but, that isn't an option in the dm's book list. So, I am looking for a second way.

Also, Dm, can I give some one a flaw? If so a home brewed one at that.

If I am asking to many questions, just tell me and I will not ask another. I am just trying to think of new and different characters.  

glitterboypilot

Yurro

Friendly Guildsman

7,600 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:38 am
glitterboypilot
Because she is the dm, her game. If she wanted we could have been even more limited, like we all have to be elves with white hair and a six foot katana. If you don't like it then don't create a character and wait for the next...Simple, no?

Sorry...

I don't think that you should be. That's my honest opinion as well. More or less the reason why I didn't sign up, because I knew almost everybody was going to pick Swordsage, and I can never do a good Monk.

Quote:
Does anyone know of a feat or something that would ether change the monk wisdom things to another stat or give spell casters armor casting?

I am trying to think up a crusader or monk/ sorcerer and I don't want the arcane spell failure to get in the way. I know of the battle sorcerer option in UA but, that isn't an option in the dm's book list. So, I am looking for a second way.

-[Monk stat change] I can honestly only think of one, and its a Dragon Magazine feat that changes it from Wis to Int or Cha (I don't remember which, or what its called. 'Something' Genius?)
-[Armor Casting] There is always the cheap Twilight enchantment [PHBII+ MIC] that for a +1 you lower a armor arcane spell chance failure by 10%. Add this to the Mithral Shirt [DMG] for a cheap +5 AC bonus, and 0% spell failure. Unfortunately the only other things I can think of are Battle Caster feat from Complete Arcane, but you need to already be able to ignore spell failure as a class ability, and Stalwart Sorcerer from Complete Mage gives extra HP and Martial Prof. + Weapon Focus with a single weapon.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:37 am
Yurro
glitterboypilot

Sorry...

I don't think that you should be. That's my honest opinion as well. More or less the reason why I didn't sign up, because I knew almost everybody was going to pick Swordsage, and I can never do a good Monk.

There was other classes open, and you could have made almost any combo. Changing the common Swordsage into Death or an angel of retaliation. I never let knowledge of what everyone else is playing to stop me, unless if the group is in vital need of a healer/magical protector, which is one of the types I like to play.

Yurro
glitterboypilot

-[Monk stat change] I can honestly only think of one, and its a Dragon Magazine feat that changes it from Wis to Int or Cha (I don't remember which, or what its called. 'Something' Genius?)
-[Armor Casting] There is always the cheap Twilight enchantment [PHBII+ MIC] that for a +1 you lower a armor arcane spell chance failure by 10%. Add this to the Mithral Shirt [DMG] for a cheap +5 AC bonus, and 0% spell failure. Unfortunately the only other things I can think of are Battle Caster feat from Complete Arcane, but you need to already be able to ignore spell failure as a class ability, and Stalwart Sorcerer from Complete Mage gives extra HP and Martial Prof. + Weapon Focus with a single weapon.

The feat is Kung fu Genius, it is also in Dragon Compendium Volume I(are they ever making a second to that book? I like a few of the prestige classes.), and it only changes it to int. Which would be perfect if I was doing a Wizard or Rogue/Monk combo. Sadly, it wouldn't work. I forgot about the mithral shirt though...Thanks for the help  

glitterboypilot

Yurro

Friendly Guildsman

7,600 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:44 pm
glitterboypilot
Yurro
glitterboypilot

Sorry...

There was other classes open, and you could have made almost any combo. Changing the common Swordsage into Death or an angel of retaliation. I never let knowledge of what everyone else is playing to stop me, unless if the group is in vital need of a healer/magical protector, which is one of the types I like to play.

Well that and I didn't feel that it would be right for me to sign-up only to become busy with something else and not be able to commit myself to the game. Done that enough here, trying to change. That and for some reason I was wanting to try and 'cosplay' as either Let from Rave Master, or Natsu from Fairy Tail manga/animes (monk+dragon flavor)

Quote:
Yurro
glitterboypilot

The feat is Kung fu Genius, it is also in Dragon Compendium Volume I(are they ever making a second to that book? I like a few of the prestige classes.), and it only changes it to int. Which would be perfect if I was doing a Wizard or Rogue/Monk combo. Sadly, it wouldn't work. I forgot about the mithral shirt though...Thanks for the help

Glad I could help some, despite it being very little.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:53 pm
Complete Adventurer has a feat called Ascetic Mage for multiclass sorcerer/monk characters that allows you to use Charisma for AC instead of Wisdom. I'd allow that part of the thing to fly, even if the stacking stuff would be illogical in a Gestalt.

As for the Dragon Compendium I, there won't be another one (and they can't even make another print run of that one) because WotC pulled the Dragon license from Paizo rather unceremoniously in an effort to lay the groundwork for 4.0.

As to why monk or initiators and feel - frankly, IMHO, the Warblade is the most pirate-y of the initiators, not the swordsage. There's much more finesse and swash and less magic-y stuff in the Warblade, but the swordsage also works well for the archetype.

Crusader is the least pirate-y of the classes, but it does work well enough - I'd say Emerald the Crow managed to capture a method to make it work rather well by acknowledging that not all pirates have to be scurvy dogs - some can very easily be dispossessed navy soldiers. (Honestly, Captain Shevat is Crusader // Rogue/Dread Pirate, focusing primarily on White Raven.)

Frankly, I put Monk in there solely as a concession for the poor unfortunate souls who don't own the Tome of Battle. I was going to mandate solely that book for the gestalt, but I opted to provide a core option. In hindsight, putting in the swashbuckler might have been a good idea, but I was looking for a core solution, not a separate splat.

Heck, I almost decided to make it Pathfinder core only, but I decided I liked the ToB option better.  

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

Slave Xaccheus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:52 pm
So I'm guessing no to the swashbuckler idea?  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:02 pm
Disciple of Sakura
As for the Dragon Compendium I, there won't be another one (and they can't even make another print run of that one) because WotC pulled the Dragon license from Paizo rather unceremoniously in an effort to lay the groundwork for 4.0.
Wizards has already released their 4.0 Dragon Compendium I

Disciple of Sakura
As to why monk or initiators and feel - frankly, IMHO, the Warblade is the most pirate-y of the initiators, not the swordsage. There's much more finesse and swash and less magic-y stuff in the Warblade, but the swordsage also works well for the archetype.
I love the Warblade, and it's a natural choice for any gestalt game given its skills points, HD, and proficiencies. I just chose swordsage because it synergizes better with psychic warrior.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

Disciple of Sakura

Liberal Lover

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:12 am
Eternality_Cannon

Honestly, I'm not sure why you'd want to. Beyond third level, the Swashbuckler is a really poor class in all. The only reason to take more levels would be if you had hacked it with a dip of rogue and the Daring Outlaw feat to get sneak attack progression. It's good for a three level dip, but it's not the best class by a long shot.

So, I guess the short answer is, I don't see a problem with it.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:44 am
Disciple of Sakura
Eternality_Cannon

Honestly, I'm not sure why you'd want to. Beyond third level, the Swashbuckler is a really poor class in all. The only reason to take more levels would be if you had hacked it with a dip of rogue and the Daring Outlaw feat to get sneak attack progression. It's good for a three level dip, but it's not the best class by a long shot.

Well now that you've made me feel like that about it...

Maybe a Navy SEAL-type character?  

Slave Xaccheus

glitterboypilot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:13 pm
Eternality_Cannon
Disciple of Sakura
Eternality_Cannon

Well now that you've made me feel like that about it...

Maybe a Navy SEAL-type character?

You may want to change your type. This is an air based game, that said the tactics used by the SEALs wouldn't be much help. Besides that they are a stealth based unit. Move in quiet, Strike fast, Strike hard, and leave with mission completed before the enemy even knows what has happened. The only way I think this would be possible in this style of campaign would be if you could fly and a lot of move silent and hide checks. To be honest, I would go with a Ninja or rogue combo with one of the Blade classes. Then just stock up on fly potions.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:09 pm
Eternality, Why not a duelist. Someone who specializes in solo, one on one, combat? Monk/Swashbuckler/and the duelist prestige class. If Disciple will allow it take the Kung fu genius and the feat that allows swords to become monk weapons.

Very few people take that route. And as a duelist you could have a god-complex or the like. Cause after all who can defeat you in solo combat? Just an idea/ If you don't I will  

glitterboypilot

Slave Xaccheus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:26 pm
Well, I was thinking along the lines of Psychic Warrior/Urban Ranger. Urban Ranger allows for good stealth and what-not, Psychic Warrior allows for the "Imma gonna kill you" stuff thanks to heavy armor, or for swashbuckling thanks to the bonus feats. Plus, I get two kinds of spells.

Unfortunately, I don't have the Blade classes book available, so yeah, I'm kinda limited on options otherwise.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff