Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Rainy Days are here again - Another L5R 4e Campaign? Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:16 pm
Dizzying...  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:17 pm
Right, I understand ya. Keeping to Artisan: Poetry for Gendo then.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:51 pm
Idunno, I mean, I can take poetry if I have to, but I'd rather not have to. Your call Mr. GM.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:07 pm
You don't need to take poetry. I intend to take Artisan/ Origami ><

The crunch of my current character is here.

Player: Plainsfox
Name: Himura Nobushige
Clan: Kraken
School: Himura Bushi
Insight: 140
Experience: 40/40
Glory: 1.0
Honor: 4.5
Taint:
Heritage:

EARTH:3
  • Stamina: 3
  • Willpower: 3

WATER:2
  • Strength: 2
  • Perception: 2

FIRE:2
  • Agility: 2
  • Intelligence: 2

AIR:3
  • Reflexes: 3
  • Awareness: 3

VOID: 2
  • Void: 2
  • Current Void Points: 2

SKILLS

• Animal Handling - Awareness - 1
    Athletics - Strength - 1
  • Artisan/Origami - Awareness - 2
  • Chain Weapons - Agility - 3
    Courtier - Awareness - 1
  • Etiquette - Awareness - 1
    Hunting - Perception - 1
  • Iaijutsu - Reflex - 3
  • Investigation - Perception- 2
    Jiujutsu - Agility - 1
  • Kenjutsu - Agility - Katana - 3
    Temptation - Awareness - 1

MASTERY ABILITIES
Iaijutsu 3: Readying a Katana is a free action.
Kenjutsu 3: The total of all damage rolls made with a sword is increased by 1k0
Chain Weapons 3: Chain weapons may be used to initiate a grapple.

ADVANTAGES
Strength of the Earth ( 2 pts)
Precise Memory ( 3 pts)

DISADVANTAGES
Sworn Enemy (Nemesis; 5 pts):
Lechery ( 2 pts)
Brash ( 3 pts)

TECHNIQUES, SPELLS, KATA, KIHO, SHADOWLANDS POWERS

EQUIPMENT/CURRENCY

COMBAT
Weapons

Armor
TN To Be Hit =

Initiative
4k3

Wounds
HEALTHY (+0): 0/15
NICKED (+3): 0/6
GRAZED (+5): 0/6
HURT (+10): 0/6
INJURED (+15): 0/6
CRIPPLED (+20): 0/6
DOWN (+40): 0/6
OUT (+N/A): 0/6

DESCRIPTION

BACKGROUND  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:42 pm
My gal is a vocalist. She'll be taking the vocal skills. Poetry is literally the only vocal Artisan skill. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:23 am
The noob returns with more questions.

A few of my skills have me keeping more than I roll. Do I do anything special?

Edit: I may have read wrong. Nevermind.  

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:07 pm
There are weapons with higher keep than roll, but those are normally for high str characters (as some literally need high str to use) and are large weapons. Like the ono.

Also, Himura Gendo

No fluff done yet, would like to talk with you all about things, like how they grew up and all.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:29 pm
Rain Yupa
So, eventually you guys WILL be making standard Legend of the Five Rings 4e starting Rank 1 samurai (40 cp), you won't be making any right out of the gate. Rather, anyone interested in joining this game will be working jointly on your Minor Clan creation first. Once that gets ironed out, then I'll post campaign-specific character generation rules and you'll go from there.

A quote from the first post of the thread, as mentioned in a PM!

I don't care that you guys are fiddling around with sheets now. Likewise, if you guys change things around BECAUSE I'm not done fiddling myself, that's cool too. But I'm not accepting ANYTHING yet until I at least have the school worked out!

That said, I'll be working on that reeeaaaallll quick-like. 3nodding  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:01 pm
Himura Family: +1 Willpower

HIMURA BUSHI SCHOOL v0.2
  • Benefit: +1 Awareness
  • Skills: Etiquette, Iaijutsu, Investigation, Kenjutsu (Katana), Any one Artisan Skill, Any one Merchant Skill, Any one High or Bugei Skill.
  • Honor: 5.5
  • Outfit: Light Armor, Sturdy Clothing, Daisho, any 1 weapon, Traveling Pack, 3 koku.

TECHNIQUES
RANK ONE: THE KRAKEN SLUMBERS
A Himura is quick to action, but not necessarily quick to aggression. You add your Honor to all initiative rolls. When taking the Defense or Full Defense Stances, they may add their Void Ring their Armor TN, in addition to any other modifications.

RANK TWO: THE KRAKEN STIRS
Owing to their Kitsuki heritage, a Himura is a good judge of character. Add your Investigation skill rank to all Awareness/Iaijutsu (Assessment) rolls. In addition, add the difference of your Honor Rank and your target's Honor Rank to each damage die, if yours is higher.

RANK THREE: THE KRAKEN WAKES
The namesake of the clan, Himura, was known for his skill with a blade being as deft as with a brush, and this is encouraged to all his descendents. Add your Artisan skill rank to all Void/Iaijutsu (Focus) rolls. This calm and patience has been focused in other ways, as well; The turn after moving from the Defense or Full Defense Stances into the Attack Stance, you add +1k1 plus your Void Ring to any one roll made that turn, as if you had moved from the Center Stance. You do not get the Center Stance's initiative bonus, however.

RANK FOUR: THE KRAKEN IS RELEASED
The Himura strike only when necessary, but do so with unwavering confidence. You may make attacks as a Simple Action instead of a Complex Action while using weapons with the Samurai keyword.

RANK FIVE: THE KRAKEN HUNTS
When confronting a Himura, an opponent can become overwhelmed, even in the face of serenity. While in an iaijutsu duel, add your Etiquette skill rank to your Reflexes/Iaijutsu to strike your opponent. In normal combat, if your attack roll exceeds an opponent's Armor TN by 5 or more, you may spend a Void Point to gain a number of Free Raises equal to the number of intervals of 5 in which you exceeded the TN, which may immediately be used for Maneuvers as if you had called Raises normally before your attack was rolled.

Okay, the previous problem with the school is that I was focused on an accumulation of effects that would be more powerful as you progressed; but in hindsight, amongst other things, I think that's a bad idea because none of the other schools really do that. Or at least, do so in such a narrowly-focused manner. So I tried to spread it out some.

Anywho, I didn't say it last time, so I'll say it this time: Thoughts?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:10 pm
Right. Just 'current draft', to let people get ideas of the guy.

As for the class, this one actually looks really good. I don't know about the starting honor being so high, but that's because I normally play guys with 2-4 honor max.  

Raganui Minamoto

Distinct Prophet

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:11 am
Raganui Minamoto
Right. Just 'current draft', to let people get ideas of the guy.

As for the class, this one actually looks really good. I don't know about the starting honor being so high, but that's because I normally play guys with 2-4 honor max.

Same honor as a Kitsuki courtier, 1 more than a Mirumoto bushi, 1 less than a Crane or Lion, equal to a Shiba bushi... to give you guys a guestimate.

I can do more or less too.

Also, it doesn't take much effort to lower your honor. ^-^'

That all said, I want to make something you guys want. A lot of schools have one really good ability per school rank; I have 2 lesser abilities per school rank (a dedicated duelist would get the most out of it, but there's stuff for other bushi too).

Something to consider: Would you rather see a Courtier school? Or an Artisan school?

I'm also willing to allow you guys the opportunity to write the school. I have veto rights if I think it's too powerful (Rank 1: Add five times your Fire Ring to all combat rolls!) I'm aiming at something a smidge weaker than a Great Clan school (because they've had 1200 years to perfect their techniques, for most of them!), but something still worth playing.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:04 am
I liked the first draft better. I'm trying to figure out if that's a matter of power or not. Either that or I kinda got attached to the idea of making little origami things before each duel. C'est la. Granted, I can do that without requiring a school technique for it.  

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100

PupSage

Dapper Dog

20,850 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Object of Affection 150
  • 50 Wins 150
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:54 am
Rain Yupa

Something to consider: Would you rather see a Courtier school? Or an Artisan school?

I'm also willing to allow you guys the opportunity to write the school. I have veto rights if I think it's too powerful (Rank 1: Add five times your Fire Ring to all combat rolls!) I'm aiming at something a smidge weaker than a Great Clan school (because they've had 1200 years to perfect their techniques, for most of them!), but something still worth playing.

Courtier school!

Mayhaps a focus on ink and gossip. The Himura Courtier are masters of the written word and clouding the vision of others.
Which is a nice change from most Dragon courtier schools focusing on investigation.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:26 pm
I still have no idea... all things considered it is a pretty solid school. I couldn't even begin to know where to suggest any changes. Kinda sucks that we can't really hold our ground in a duel to, like, any remotely equipped dueling school until at least rank 2, probably more realistically rank 3, but otherwise it's not bad.  

Paidi tou Selini
Crew

Adorable Abductee

Plainsfox

Romantic Paladin

10,600 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Bunny Hunter 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:37 pm
Selini, there are only really two good major clan dueling schools in 4th edition, Kakita and Shiba. Either version ties us at Mirumoto for third.  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff