Random chatter. Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Anlina
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:34 pm
Ugh, I've never seen such dirty cats as I did today. There was a pair of long hair calico kittens at the Humane Society today, probably about 8 weeks old? and the little things were just filthy. They were all greasy around their cheeks and ears because of the ear mite medication they're getting, and they just don't seem to know how to groom, cause they had poop around their bottoms and litter stuck to their paws.

I gave both of them a bath, which took care of the immediate dirt, but one of them didn't even want to groom herself dry, and apparently they've both been getting baths almost daily and just keep getting themselves really filthy.

I'm really surprised to see cats that care so little for their own cleanliness. They don't seem to be sick or anything either - they're both friendly and playful.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:43 pm
>.<
Perhaps they never learned the basics of cleanliness?
If they're to be adopted, it'll have to be by someone with the time and affection to bathe them regularly.
Although I read a story about a cat, with a pet cat. She found a pregnant, deaf cat and brought it home with her. For some reason, it never cleaned itself or its kittens(it would feed them though), so the other kitty did for it.

-_-;; Cheshire has found a new way to wake me up when he wants out. He used to push his head against my face. Now he reaches under the covers and swats me awake. Nothing like waking up to claws in your thigh!  

LovelyLadyBast

Lokis II

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:47 pm
Anlina
Ugh, I've never seen such dirty cats as I did today. There was a pair of long hair calico kittens at the Humane Society today, probably about 8 weeks old? and the little things were just filthy. They were all greasy around their cheeks and ears because of the ear mite medication they're getting, and they just don't seem to know how to groom, cause they had poop around their bottoms and litter stuck to their paws.

I gave both of them a bath, which took care of the immediate dirt, but one of them didn't even want to groom herself dry, and apparently they've both been getting baths almost daily and just keep getting themselves really filthy.

I'm really surprised to see cats that care so little for their own cleanliness. They don't seem to be sick or anything either - they're both friendly and playful.

That makes me wonder if grooming is a learned behavior, but even my 4 week old grooms herself obsessively it seems.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:19 am
oh my, how sad that these cats don't care about grooming. i watch my cats groom themselves (and sometimes me as well) and it looks like they are having fun. it's like one of the things that they instinctively do partly for enjoyment, like scratching and kneading.

cardi

Cat

cardi

Cat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:04 am
i killed the thread... gonk

i am currently grading my stats students' exams. then mitts climbed up on the desk and decided that my stack of exam papers will be an excellent place to roost on. he looks so happy and contented that i don't have the heart to move him. he just luuu-uuurves stacks of papers.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:25 pm
There's a cat with a litter of kittens at the Humane Society and omg, my heart just goes out to them.

The mother is only a kitten herself (8 months old?) and while two of her babies are healthy and developing just fine, I think one of them has cerebellar hypoplasia, because she looks healthy and fully formed and has strong little limbs, but she can't coordinate her limbs or balance at all. She has a hard time taking even one step and even when she's sitting or lying down she'll fall on her face or involuntarily flip on her back.

I really want to adopt mom cat and the disabled kitten (once everyone is weaned and ready to be adopted out) because they really are lovely, friendly cats who have very little chance of being adopted. I think I will work on convincing the hubby once we are all moved into our new house, but it's going to be a real challenge. He doesn't really want more cats, and the fact that they're disabled, long haired and orange are all working against them (he doesn't want long haired cats cause of the shedding factor and just doesn't like orange cats)... the only thing that would make it worse was if they were males. Still, I think I will have to try.

I suspect some day I'm going to end up with a house full of disabled and problem cats.  

Anlina
Captain

Tasha9090

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:16 am
Anlina
There's a cat with a litter of kittens at the Humane Society and omg, my heart just goes out to them.

The mother is only a kitten herself (8 months old?) and while two of her babies are healthy and developing just fine, I think one of them has cerebellar hypoplasia, because she looks healthy and fully formed and has strong little limbs, but she can't coordinate her limbs or balance at all. She has a hard time taking even one step and even when she's sitting or lying down she'll fall on her face or involuntarily flip on her back.

I really want to adopt mom cat and the disabled kitten (once everyone is weaned and ready to be adopted out) because they really are lovely, friendly cats who have very little chance of being adopted. I think I will work on convincing the hubby once we are all moved into our new house, but it's going to be a real challenge. He doesn't really want more cats, and the fact that they're disabled, long haired and orange are all working against them (he doesn't want long haired cats cause of the shedding factor and just doesn't like orange cats)... the only thing that would make it worse was if they were males. Still, I think I will have to try.

I suspect some day I'm going to end up with a house full of disabled and problem cats.

Awww poor cats, i believe my friend has a cat like that kitten exactly, she saved him from being put down by her mother, he need help alot, nad needs to be cleaned from his little do do's because he cant make it to the kitty litter himself. That cat is a real handful, its sad seeing a cat like that though. She started excersising him though, like his limbs nad helping him walk and holding him up on his legs for him, it makes them build up their strength and seems to help them alot though, it start to slowly work for him. Just have to have alot of patience.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:10 pm
My kitty's gone. We haven't heard from him for over 24 hours. crying
I'm really worried about what might've happened. I'm hoping that he just strayed off and will come back soon, but... Things aren't always that nice and convenient.  

Biohazard EXTREME

Anlina
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:58 pm
Biohazard EXTREME
I'm really worried about what might've happened. I'm hoping that he just strayed off and will come back soon, but... Things aren't always that nice and convenient.

Oh no! Have you called the humane society, city animal services and any other shelters yet? Make sure you do that, and you should post up some posters in your neighbourhood.

One of my mum's kitties went missing two weeks ago, but she came home yesterday, and we've had cats come back after more than two years, so search hard and don't give up hope. :hugs:  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:56 pm
Anlina

I've been told that can happen if the kittens are taken away from their mother too soon. Could it be that they just weren't together with their mom long enough for her to teach them?  

MissAnaHappy

LovelyLadyBast

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:49 am
I've been gone for a few days, and I'm really missing my kitties. Even though Cheshire's been biting me. Oh, we decided that mom has no cats. They're both mine now.

The other day I was laying on my bed playing Zelda, and Cheerio started licking me, as she does. After about ten minutes I said "Enough!" and flipped her over. My arm was very smooth that day...  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:55 am
anapires
Anlina

I've been told that can happen if the kittens are taken away from their mother too soon. Could it be that they just weren't together with their mom long enough for her to teach them?

Oh probably. We get so many kittens who are way too young to be away from their mother, but come in without a mom. It's really sad.  

Anlina
Captain

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:06 am
Anlina
Biohazard EXTREME

Oh no! Have you called the humane society, city animal services and any other shelters yet? Make sure you do that, and you should post up some posters in your neighbourhood.

One of my mum's kitties went missing two weeks ago, but she came home yesterday, and we've had cats come back after more than two years, so search hard and don't give up hope. :hugs:

Yesterday one of our neighbors said that 4 days ago he saw some woman petting our cat. Surely she abducted him. Ugh, why do people do crap like that? I wanna abduct her child and see how she feels about that.  
An abnormal love of cats

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff