Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Back to Guilds

A Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Guild - We have many active games, join requests are checked often, and everyone is accepted. 

Tags: Dungeons, Dragons, Roleplaying, Dungeons and Dragons 

Reply The Dungeons & Dragons Guild
Q & A Thread: Questions Answered Here Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16 17 18 19 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:50 pm
XBrodySmithX
Of course, I'd never just dive into a RP without having an approved character profile.

I'll poke and prod around, thanks.

Have you guys given any thought to a welcome/introductory thread?

We really should, shouldn't we? I've only recently usurped power, so there's guild responsibilities that I have to discover and take care of, until the guild owner gets back from an indefinite LOA.

Probably tomorrow, as I'm about to turn in. Hopefully I remember! ^-^  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:54 pm
It'd certainly help. I'm not sure how many newbies you get, but I'm still rather lost.

You could make a skeleton with likes and dislikes as well as preferred game edition and experience etc etc.

I'm about to start prodding around the subforums. Any advice on where to start?  

XDazerethX

Ryunosuke Ryusei

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:28 am
Hello thar.

I'm the new guy and I'm highly knowledgeable in 3.5 rules and still thinking 4E over cause I have a handful of dislikes for that. (secretly believes the Death of Gary was a conspiracy to push 4E through <.<; >.> wink

Well, to start, I'm having a hard time trying to find an open and accepting 3.5 game of D&D and I didn't want to start my own mostly cause I wanted to be a player instead of the DM this time around. (had to be DM for his noobish sister and friend too many times now =.=; )

Anybody around here have some good ideas to help?
I would just lurk the entire guild but, I also have guild duties elsewhere too.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:04 pm
I'm relatively new to this guild myself, and am only familiar with one or two of the versions of the players hand book, but, You could try getting into one of the Game's Rain Yupa is doing. There is a new one that is so far still in the planning stages that I'm part of. If you are interested you'll probably find it easily. I only say the planning stages since it has yet to have a subforum of it's own to take place in, as far as I know.  

Wire_Colossus

Versatile Shapeshifter

3,875 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Gender Swap 100

Virulent Lover

Dangerous Lover

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:47 am
Is anything stopping the Warlord from using throwing weapons instead of a bow, on a skirmishing warlord build?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:03 am
Virulent Lover
Is anything stopping the Warlord from using throwing weapons instead of a bow, on a skirmishing warlord build?

You gain proficiency with Military Ranged Weapons, which is just the shortbow and longbow. So no benefit form that.

In addition, the benefit Archer Warlord gives to Ranged Basic Attacks only work when you use a bow.

With that said, PHB p.215 says, under Weapon Categories:

"A melee weapon with the heavy thrown or the light thrown property counts as a ranged weapon when thrown and can be used with ranged attack powers that have the weapon keyword."  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Virulent Lover

Dangerous Lover

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:06 am
Rain Yupa

You gain proficiency with Military Ranged Weapons, which is just the shortbow and longbow. So no benefit form that.

In addition, the benefit Archer Warlord gives to Ranged Basic Attacks only work when you use a bow.

"A melee weapon with the heavy thrown or the light thrown property counts as a ranged weapon when thrown and can be used with ranged attack powers that have the weapon keyword."

Much thanks, Rain.

You do allow Hybrids in your games with PHB 3 access, correct?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:11 am
Virulent Lover
Rain Yupa

Much thanks, Rain.

You do allow Hybrids in your games with PHB 3 access, correct?

Which should be all my games, unless I forgot to update one...

Yes, I do, but I find Hybrids to be unnecessarily headache inducing and I'd prefer people not use them. But I won't stop them if they REALLY want to.  

Rain Yupa
Captain

Enduring Member

Virulent Lover

Dangerous Lover

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:19 am
Rain Yupa

Which should be all my games, unless I forgot to update one...

Yes, I do, but I find Hybrids to be unnecessarily headache inducing and I'd prefer people not use them. But I won't stop them if they REALLY want to.

They are a bit frustrating to make, as well, but I'm wanting to at least give them a try, y'anno? The only way to remove the complications they induce, save their absence, is by better understanding them.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:07 pm
I have an idea for a lawful good female dwarven paladin. This character believes wholeheartedly in the rule of law and in doing good deeds (hence the lawful good alignment), but also believes that those who make the laws have responsibilities. To clarify, she believes that the reason a king or other official has their power and the wealth and status that goes with it is so that they can use it to better the lives of the subjects they have power over and collect taxes from. She considers this a form of social contract in which the common people give up some freedoms and some of their money or goods in exchange for beneficial rule that provides security and stability, providing more wealth and freedom than is given up. She feels that if a ruler misuses their power or otherwise fails to carry out their responsibilities as ruler they have violated this contract, and therefore do not deserve their status as ruler or any of the benefits that come with it. Despite being of lawful alignment, she will NOT take orders or act respectfully towards such a ruler, as she believes that, since the ruler violated the contract, the people under the ruler should not have to abide by their end, and should replace the ruler with someone else. She feels that this does not conflict with her belief in the rule of law, as in her mind the ruler who failed to meet his or her end of the social contract should be seen as the lawbreaker.

This attitude towards those who rule caused her problems in her homeland, as other dwarves just don't get her insistence that authority figures should either use their power and authority for the good of their subjects or not be obeyed by anybody. Other dwarves feel she should just obey authority figures unilaterally. This attitude got her kicked out of her clan and stripped of her clan name by her greedy control freak of a father and later got her exiled from her homeland, which is why she lives as a wandering paladin instead of in a dwarven kingdom. To be honest, she prefers it that way.

Personality wise, she is a joker and a wiseass, and tries not to be overly judgmental, believing that if something doesn't hurt anyone, it probably shouldn't be illegal, tradition be damned (another reason she generally doesn't get along well around other dwarves). She enjoys being humourous, sarcastic, and witty, and doesn't see any reason why a paladin shouldn't be a fun person to be around. She even enjoys making fun of the stereotypical humourless and obnoxious paladin who obeys anything with a shiny badge. Though disrespectful and disobedient to those she feels have betrayed their responsibilities as rulers, she is quite respectful and obedient to those she feels are proper rulers, and is willing to do whatever she can to support them. Like any good paladin, she is a staunch defender of the weak and a champion of justice.

So, does this sound like a character who could be appropriately described as lawful good, or has she strayed into neutral good behaviour? Does she sound compelling in general?  

Kelsey MacAilbert

salty roots

7,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:31 pm
I'm having trouble finding enough people who play irl to make a campaign. What's the best way to locate irl players or places where organized groups meet?  
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:43 pm
shane of fallcrest
I'm having trouble finding enough people who play irl to make a campaign. What's the best way to locate irl players or places where organized groups meet?

Check with common hotspots: Gaming Stores, comic shops, bookstores, potentially libraries. They may have a bulletin board with a game listing looking for players, or you could post looking for a game.  

Arc Vembris
Crew

salty roots

7,050 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:05 pm
Arc Vembris
shane of fallcrest

Check with common hotspots: Gaming Stores, comic shops, bookstores, potentially libraries. They may have a bulletin board with a game listing looking for players, or you could post looking for a game.

Thanks. I'll try out some of the places you suggested.  
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:27 pm
Not sure this is the right place, but what the hell.

Has anyone ever considered making a 'Living' Campaign on here? I think it could be fun, and is quite popular on other websites but it seems Gaia lacks one.

Pick a well loved, common system like 4e or Pathfinder and then set it in either a world of your making or an existing mythos, make a 'Tavern' where all the players can converge and then get picked up on plot hooks to go adventuring.  

Fiend The Bunny

Fluffy Codger

Arc Vembris
Crew

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:39 am
I'm not sure how this scenario is different from a standard campaign  
The Dungeons & Dragons Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16 17 18 19 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers