Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GaijinGuy36

8,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:44 pm
Okay, since we've got our SCA Guild put together, I thought it might be nice to add a thread where we can kit-bash ideas for new personas or share some about the ones we have established. After all, what one person sees as a roadblock, another might see as a stepping stone. And you never know what might inspire someone else.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:11 pm
I have yet to choose a name or persona. sweatdrop  

Groovy Spleen

Arithrel
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:16 pm
Well, I'm going in almost every other thread, might as well get going in here. lol. I've got my persona story partly done though it needs some work. smile But here's what I've got so far.

Born in the year 1450 to an upper middle-class Italian family, Illyria Felippa Lucia Maria di Firenze was raised quite normally until the age of eight, when she lost both of her parents to the plague. Before he died, her father instructed her nanny and her tutor to continue the raising of his darling daughter. They complied, continuing to follow the lessons which had been laid out by her parents-the nanny teaching her the household arts, and her tutor teaching her mathematics, latin, reading and writing and, later, the art of defence with a rapier. This final one was not entirely normal for girls of her period, but it was not unheard of and her father felt it was important for her to be able to defend herself.

One day, when she was 13, Illyria was out practicing her swordwork with her tutor. As they practiced, a man approached them. A merchant sailor from Wales, he offered to adopt the child. After much discussion between the man, Illyria's tutor and her nanny, Illyria was sent to Wales with the man, where she became a member of a large family-she went from being an only child to not only having a mother and father again but to having two elder sisters and a younger brother. Sadly, shortly after her arrival in Wales, her new father went on a journey to Spain and was lost at sea. After the loss of her husband, Illyria's adoptive mother Nesta decided to move the family to the Barony of Lions Gate in the Kingdom of An Tir, where she had family members. As Illyria grew, she became more and more headstrong and independent, though still friendly and well-liked by her peers. Finally, when Illyria turned 18, her mother came to her wits' end with her lively daughter and sent her across the sea to the Kingdom of Drachenwald, to be a governess for the children of another relative, in the hopes that the responsibility would calm her daughter.

Yeah, like I said, needs work. lol. But it's a start. smile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:49 pm
I'm still going with "I choose a persona bases on the outfit of the day"

But I usually like to go with being a merchants daughter, in case I have something nice, that "needs" and explaination. Because it usually gets the tight-lipped-not-able-to-respond-verbally- response from authenticity nazi's. *shudder*

That's pretty much it.  

Annalise Morwen

Arithrel
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:55 am
Annalise Morwen

But I usually like to go with being a merchants daughter, in case I have something nice, that "needs" and explaination. Because it usually gets the tight-lipped-not-able-to-respond-verbally- response from authenticity nazi's. *shudder*

That's pretty much it.

haha, yeah...the only reason I managed to come up with being adopted is because my persona is Italian Renaissance, but the rest of my family is 12th century Welsh. lol. Still haven't figured out how to explain the time difference, but now that I'm probably moving to another Kingdom with my boyfriend I guess it's not as big of a deal. lol  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:05 am
The only thing I've got figured out is that my persona is a 15th-century Florentine named Alessandra deSimone.

Actually, I chose Desimone (with a different capitalization, 'cause I think it looks cooler whee ) because that's actually my family name.

My maternal great-grandmother (or was it "great-great-"? It's a few generations back, I know that at least) was Maria Desimone; my grandmother's birth name was Michelina Mugno, and she was one of the first of 14 children born in America (she's one of the middle children; most of her brothers & sisters died before my mom was born).

We're also Sicilian, so I can use some of that Medieval Mafia-type attitude in my persona.

Gotta keep it in the family, si? wink  

Sunegami

Playful Nerd

22,040 Points
  • Pizza Party Attendee 500
  • 1000 High Score 100
  • OTP 200

Arithrel
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:14 am
Sunegami
The only thing I've got figured out is that my persona is a 15th-century Florentine named Alessandra deSimone.

Actually, I chose Desimone (with a different capitalization, 'cause I think it looks cooler whee ) because that's actually my family name.

My maternal great-grandmother (or was it "great-great-"? It's a few generations back, I know that at least) was Maria Desimone; my grandmother's birth name was Michelina Mugno, and she was one of the first of 14 children born in America (she's one of the middle children; most of her brothers & sisters died before my mom was born).

We're also Sicilian, so I can use some of that Medieval Mafia-type attitude in my persona.

Gotta keep it in the family, si? wink

Dude, we might know each other. I'm a 15th century Florentine myself. We should get together sometime. wink (Never mind the fact we're probably from entirely different Kingdoms lol)  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:11 pm
Arithrel, you call that a start? Wow! That's quite a lot more than I've had time to think up. I guess the main persona I'll use is that of a Scottish minstrel, since I have a kilt and a sporran, and hence a good start on the garb, and a good chunk of my family is Scottish.

The name I'm thinking to use is Seamus McGrail. My family can trace ancestry back to Clan McGrail, and that's why I chose that name. And Seamus just sounds good. mrgreen Besides, I don't need everyone cracking about how 'there can be only one', so I'm not using the name MacLeod.

Plus, if I can come up with a serviceable pair of sandals and manage to end up with a kimono or maybe some pants and a happi coat somehow, I'm thinking of a Feudal-Japan era persona too. Probably a ronin, or masterless samurai, who got passage on a ship from Asia to the Kingdoms We Know And Represent. Still grinding gears over just the right name, though. I may need some time with my Japanese/English dictionary to see what I can come up with.  

GaijinGuy36

8,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Arithrel
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:20 pm
Gaijin32
Arithrel, you call that a start? Wow! That's quite a lot more than I've had time to think up. I guess the main persona I'll use is that of a Scottish minstrel, since I have a kilt and a sporran, and hence a good start on the garb, and a good chunk of my family is Scottish.

The name I'm thinking to use is Seamus McGrail. My family can trace ancestry back to Clan McGrail, and that's why I chose that name. And Seamus just sounds good. mrgreen Besides, I don't need everyone cracking about how 'there can be only one', so I'm not using the name MacLeod.

Plus, if I can come up with a serviceable pair of sandals and manage to end up with a kimono or maybe some pants and a happi coat somehow, I'm thinking of a Feudal-Japan era persona too. Probably a ronin, or masterless samurai, who got passage on a ship from Asia to the Kingdoms We Know And Represent. Still grinding gears over just the right name, though. I may need some time with my Japanese/English dictionary to see what I can come up with.

I know a clan in my home Barony...they're a Japanese/Scottish clan. Heck if I know how that works. lol. See, their story is that the clan was started during a border war between Japan and Scotland. *shrugs* lol. Guess that's where the "creative" part comes in. haha.

And yeah...it's a start because I still need to work out some of the details and whatnot. It's going to be massively edited soon I'm sure. smile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:09 pm
Arithrel
Gaijin32

I know a clan in my home Barony...they're a Japanese/Scottish clan. Heck if I know how that works. lol. See, their story is that the clan was started during a border war between Japan and Scotland. *shrugs* lol. Guess that's where the "creative" part comes in. haha.

And yeah...it's a start because I still need to work out some of the details and whatnot. It's going to be massively edited soon I'm sure. smile

A border war is a bit far-fetched...but maybe if the Japanese got tired of drinking sake and wanted to invade Scotland to get their hands on some new, high-test liquor...Hmmmm. It's so crazy, it just might work!!!
mrgreen  

GaijinGuy36

8,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Annalise Morwen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:24 pm
Arithrel
Annalise Morwen

That's pretty much it.

haha, yeah...the only reason I managed to come up with being adopted is because my persona is Italian Renaissance, but the rest of my family is 12th century Welsh. lol. Still haven't figured out how to explain the time difference, but now that I'm probably moving to another Kingdom with my boyfriend I guess it's not as big of a deal. lol
That does make it easier. Of course you caould have always done the Avalon Skiff thing where you were put through a time/space portal (tesseract!!!) and ended up in Italy.
But then I do like to have the crazy answers. But I do have an answer.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:42 pm
Annalise Morwen
Arithrel
Annalise Morwen

That's pretty much it.

That does make it easier. Of course you caould have always done the Avalon Skiff thing where you were put through a time/space portal (tesseract!!!) and ended up in Italy.
But then I do like to have the crazy answers. But I do have an answer.

lol, yeah...I had the Bermuda Triangle as my excuse for the time travel at first... sweatdrop  

Arithrel
Crew

CassiusD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:56 am
My personna is technically earlier then official for SCA but I have yet to meet someone who has a problem with it. I'm a Roman legionnaire from between 100 and 150 A.D. I haven't really developed it past that point, this allows me to use armor I like and wear really simple garb so for the time being I don't need more. If I ever actually go to court this could be a problem if I stick in personna, dress garb for me would be my military tunic, plated belt, lorica, and sandals. I'm kind of wondering if people would really like me showing up in armor though. Of course it shouldn't be an issue, I'm trying my best to aviod any awards so that I don't have to go to court.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:18 am
Cassius, the armor isn't usually a problem at most events, as long as you're comfortable in it. Just make sure you get your gladius peace-tied, okay? We don't need a demonstration of medieval medicinal techniques in action, thanks. wink  

GaijinGuy36

8,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200

CassiusD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:24 pm
My armor isn't a problem, it's black leather (it was a problem on the battlefield at Warriors and Warlords though). I rarely carry my gladius merely due to the weight, it feels wrong to me so I just wear a pugio that's peace tied instead. I still want to avoid court though, it's just not my thing, if I ever get any kind of award the shire can present it to me privately.  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff