Reply 21+
Online Relationships? o.O Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[MalaKai]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:20 am
Ok, I've seen many Gaia-weddings, gaia bf and gf. And I wondered if love can actually be an online thing? I've never been in love >.> So I ask Thee Elders of Gaia lol

What's your opinion? Have you ever been in something like this?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:43 am
I haven't been in anything like that.  

lightsenshi

NessaChan
Crew

Sparkly Nerd

8,100 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:34 am
Hmm.. I think nine times out of ten online romantic "relationships" are more a case of raging hormones than actual affection. However, I do believe that some rare cases are for real.

In the olden days before newfangled technology, some people fell in love with their pen-and-paper penpals. There's no reason it couldn't happen with ones and zeros over the internet. =)

Oh, and I should add that I recently attended a Gaian "wedding" and it was lovely. They seem to be as serious about one another in real life as they are on Gaia, so I say more power to them. After all, who am I to judge someone else's feelings?

Just because something may not last "forever" doesn't mean it is definitely wrong. Relationships of any type help can people to grow.

I should also probably note that I'm talking about adults here, not tweenyboppers.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:04 pm
On websites like these, where most of the people having 'relationships' are 12 year olds, its all just a game. However, about four years ago I was flirting and being a teen ager with e-boyfriends on a MUD (game) and actually met my current live-in boyfriend of 4 years. He was in Vermont, I live in West Virginia, we met on that game and really hit it off. We realised his dad lived in PA which is above WV, connecting the two by a 3 hour drive. We deicded to meet up and see if there was really something there the next time he visisted his dad. Long story short, we had a long distance relationship for about 6 months where he would stay in my house (err, my moms house) for maybe a week at a time because I was in my last year of high school still to visit and get as much dating and romancing in as we could, before he'd go back home. When I graduated, we got an apartment here and he moved here for me. That was 4 years ago, and we are going strong.

I really beleive that everything happens for a reason, and there are people out there that you are supposed to meet and be with. The internet just makes it even easier to find those people and get to know them.

But yeah, most people on a website or a game like this one are just looking for a alittle attention and some fun, which is fine, and all that I was doing. I just happened to meet someone that I really made a connection with, and it was that easy.  

JudgeyJudgerson

Mega Millionaire

8,300 Points
  • Clambake 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Sausage Fest 200

K-ne

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:06 pm
I don't think there's anything wrong with meeting someone online as opposed to a real-life venue; I met my ex-boyfriend on a different message board. The relationship is going to need more than just online contact as it progresses, though.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:55 pm
My friend Tiara met her girlfriend Adrian through livejournal (yes, they're both women). Through one another's entries they fell in love with one another on a deep meaningful level. Adrian then attended the same college as Tiara, and now Tiara's moved out to California to be with her (Tiara's from Missouri like myself). I have no doubt in my heart that they are in love, and it makes me happy to see two people bonded on a deeper level than "oooh baby".

I've been in a couple of online relationships myself. Back in high school I was too shy to ask a guy out in person, and no one wanted me. Online relationships were about the best I could do. Then I went off to college and tried a few of the real things.

Honestly I think the problem with online relationships is that it gives the illusion that distance doesn't matter. The sad thing is in many cases you wind up waiting a long time to be with someone in a physical sense. The upside is that this can foster relationships based on conversation, understanding, and trust.

My preference is the real deal. In some cases online can make things way too easy to lie. There is a guy friend of mine online I have a crush on, and something deeper too. I kind of wish I had met him in person, then it would be easier for me to look him in the eyes and see if he really means what he says. For now I'm choosing to be single and see where life takes me. Not sure if this really answers your question. So I suppose my answer is "it depends"  

AntoniaMerEnfant

Doressa
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:08 am
I've never been in an online relationship, but imagine that it would be difficult...having said that, difficult is not impossible! They've just got to really, really want it!  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:12 am
Oh_Oh_Adamae
He was in Vermont, I live in West Virginia, we met on that game and really hit it off.

Hey, wow, I am in WV, too. ^^ (Sorry unrelated to topic!)  

NessaChan
Crew

Sparkly Nerd

8,100 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Conventioneer 300

Todeskaefer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:37 am
I've been using the Internet for eight years now and not once have I ever fallen for somebody I met online. I did have a fake lesbian relationship going for a while back in '99, but that's not really the same thing. I have known people who have fallen hard and fast for people they met online. I think it's stupid myself. The whole point of being in a relationship is so you can get laid on at least a semi-regular basis. How are ya supposed to bang somebody who doesn't even live in the same time zone as you?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:24 pm
Todeskaefer
The whole point of being in a relationship is so you can get laid on at least a semi-regular basis. How are ya supposed to bang somebody who doesn't even live in the same time zone as you?

-walks casually over to the corpse of cupid laying on the ground, places fingers near wrist, glances at watch-

Time of death, 9:23 pm central time, August 28, 2006. -Sighs- Romance is dead...

sad

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to cry myself asleep.  

AntoniaMerEnfant

Pirate Dirge

Hygge Agenda

44,725 Points
  • My Feminist Agenda 500
  • Cozy Life 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:26 pm
eek So many cynical 'fogeys' in here. Man.

I have a very hard time buying into online relationships, because I believe they're mostly based on deception: looking out in the forums here about the common attitude that it's OK to lie to everyone online, it's hard to blame me for that one. I just think it's too easy to lie and string someone along when they've never actually met you in person and can't even verify you are who you say you are.

But since I've formed some good friendships online, I do think it's possible, despite what I've said up there. I don't think I could actually fall in love with words on a screen though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:02 pm
-sighs-
I guess i am not one to talk but i do think they can be a nice start to a relationship, not a permanent thing. You do need to be honest of course, you can lie but... well why? I guess i just dont really understand other then the purpose of "cybering." Meeting someone online makes the begining part of your relationship more about ideas and talking instead of making out and seeing movies. Online you really cant get caught up in the physical, you online have the words and personality to become attracted to.

Any online relationship does need to move into real life one day, because you cant have a relationship with out some sort of physical contact.
rofl I know i am just kind of ranting here I guess i should get some sleep
online or off, a relationship is what you put into it and what you make of it.  

Raien3

lunashock

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:55 pm
I don't tend to think they work out, honestly. I'm not saying it's not a good way to "meet" someone and get to know someone, but that lack of actual contact, it makes a difference. I admit, I do get a little creeped out people talking about their true loves and they have soulmates (which online relationships seem to be a little on the far side of romance for my tastes) when they've never met this person.

I think though, the same applies for long distance. Certainly not impossible, but generally without a strong established relationship, it is rather difficult and most don't blossom much. You can't really get the "tone" of what someone is saying online, much easier to misconstrue what someone is saying.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:32 pm
My mom met my stepfather online and they've been married since 1999, I think. They hit it off and married after dating 6 months. It can work, if you're both honest, REALLY honest with each other. But most of the relationships on Gaia are little 12-14 year olds who think they're being cute. Its not real.  

[ b r i. l a l a ]

Anxious Fairy

lightsenshi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:11 pm
AntoniaMerEnfant
Todeskaefer
The whole point of being in a relationship is so you can get laid on at least a semi-regular basis. How are ya supposed to bang somebody who doesn't even live in the same time zone as you?

-walks casually over to the corpse of cupid laying on the ground, places fingers near wrist, glances at watch-

Time of death, 9:23 pm central time, August 28, 2006. -Sighs- Romance is dead...

sad

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to cry myself asleep.

*gives her a hug then tucks her into bed*  
21+

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces