Things you didn't do then... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kiddo Seanchain

Shirtless Heckler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:36 am
Okay, fighting is not allowed to be an answer. I'm curious about the more 'normal' things you didn't do before you joined the SCA. Like, singing. If you never did public singing and never thought you would then BAM you join the SCA and find yourself at a bardic circle in the center of attention every event.

For me, it's sewing. I do illuminations and bardic but I've been painting and studying fairytales for a long time, almost all my life with the second (altough I didn't call it that when I was off memorizing collection upon collection in the fourth grade).

But sewing... I distinctly remember fighting with my mother because I didn't want to learn to sew. I was helpless when it comes to that. To me, there was no reason to learn to sew much more than how to repair some stuff, and even then I'd bring home clothing to my mother to be stitched back together on my breaks. Then I joined the SCA... and lets just say that my request for Christmas this year is a sewing machine of my own. A good one. Because I am really, really starting to like sewing. I even shelled out the money for some yards of linen to make something out of. Not sure what, I just wanted the fabric.

So what all did you guys think you'd never be involved in, only to have the SCA change your mind?

(oh yes, on the bardic note - I am totally taking a class about fairytales this semester and my prof has "done some stuff with the SCA before" I am a happy Kiddo)  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:29 am
Hmm...I would have to say probably dancing. I always danced around my room and stuff, but I was adamantly against taking dance lessons (my mom tried to get me into ballet when I was younger, but it was no deal for me. lol) and never really danced in public. Now, though, I love dancing at events. I haven't braved bellydancing yet, but I love to do all the other dances, and even go to dance class whenever I can. It's great.  

Arithrel
Crew

north_of_nita

3,050 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:07 pm
umm... wenching, sewing and wearing a dress/skirt ><  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:55 pm
I probably wouldn't have played with cloven fruit as much as I do... I would have wanted to play, but I don't think I would have had the guts.

Most other things I did anyway. I was built for this game.*

*edit: including fighting. I just didn't do it safely.

I still have scars. sweatdrop  

[Atropa Belladonna]

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:15 pm

Heraldry

Singing infront of minor royalty. (NOT by my choice, well...I can't sing but requested a song from a couple friends. They agreed quickly, then dragged me up to sing with them. I loved it, but I hope they could stand my voice!)

Making T-tunics, cloaks, shirts, pants and so on. Doing my own sewing repairs around the house.

Think about period food, shoes and the proper way to curtsey.

Shall I name more? smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:38 pm
Sewing. I didn't sew a stitch before, and now I sell it.  

TheSteven

[Shall.We.Blaspheme]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:43 am
Knowing what it is to be a real man.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:40 pm
north_of_nita
umm... wenching, sewing and wearing a dress/skirt ><

haha, for me it's Wenching, wearing a skirt/dress, and public solo singing!! Oh and archery!! heart heart heart

I mean I don't have a problem with any of the above (save the last one) I just didn't think I'd be doing them!

I didn't own a skirt or dress until I joined the SCA! I never saw myself doing archery - but I have since fallen in love with it!! xd heart Wenching was never really thought of before - but no problem with it! xd

And then there's singing!! xd I sing all the time - when no one's around!! or when I'm in a choir and no one can pick out my voice!! xd And then BAM!!! I get into the SCA and I start singing in a bardic circle! 3nodding

It's all only been a positive effect on me really!! heart  

Naito_Mitsukai

harukitsune

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:53 am
never thought i'd teach a couple classes and actually do research on my own time  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:12 pm
figuring out how to make different weapons out of PVC/duct tape and also figuring out new ways to make old weapons(make them better, look more like swords ETC)  

Dema

1,550 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Snaebjorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:01 pm
Oh gods is this a long list for me. Before I got into the SCA there were things I wanted to do but never thought I would and there were things I never thought of doing.

Heraldry. Especially norse naming. I never thought I'd become a researcher who spends more time reading books about archeaological digs and then going someplace to tell people how to make a proper name.

Sewing. Gods I hated learning this in school. Now. Now I insist that all my garb be sewn by hand with linen thread. (Yes I'm an authenticity nut but only for myself. I'd like to see more authenticity but I don't push it.)

Cobbling. I used to think people would have to be crazy to make their own shoes. Now I'm spending half my time looking for a good source for a nice red goat skin leather to make a nice set of period turn shoes.

Armouring. I always wanted to make armour growing up. Never thought I'd really know how. Now its one of my favorite ways to relax. Spend my evenings lacing the plates of lamellar together.

Blacksmithing. Of course I wanted to do this like you wouldn't believe. I always wanted to make my own knives and swords and all that. Of course that would never happen. Now I have my own forge that I use whenever I can.

Work Troll. Of course I only do this now I'm in the SCA. It doesn't exist anywhere else.

Volunteer my time. I was always greedy and lazy growing up. Now I love to volunteer and help people out whenever I can.

And the one thing that connects most of everything else. Study. I hated it. I never studied. I never read historical texts. I never researched. Now on the other hand I love it. I'm always looking for new books to read so I can learn as much as I can.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:56 pm
The only thing I can think of that I didn't do before is calligraphy. I've always been a crafter, I've always been a singer, I've always loved to cook, and I've always loved to camp. I even had two sets of home-made garb before I started playing. I guess it was just a perfect fit!

My boy on the other hand is just the opposite... He would never have worn a kilt before, or volunteered for anything, or spent hours upon hours working on chainmail.
blaugh  

LittleGreenGirl
Captain

Sparkly Prophet

Random Saxon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:55 am
Before I joined the SCA, one might expect to find me passed out in a ditch with huge bruises and a skirt perhaps once or twice a year, but now its more like once or twice a month.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:49 am
I used to admire celtic-style'd wire jewellery and chainmail, but now I make it myself! heart  

Naito_Mitsukai

Artimus_Twitch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:51 pm
Chainmalle, hand embroidry, lucet braiding, and hugging people.  
SCA Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff