Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do american soldiers be allowed to drink at 18
  yes
  no
View Results

Fieldartman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:33 pm
I will like to start off by saying thanks for letting me in this guild. I am 19 and I am a U.S. Army soldier. I want to know what people think about the war going on in iraq. Which I should be going to in August of 2007. But mainly I want to ask a question and I would like to know everyones opinion. Because I'm 19 I can't drink. Do you think because someone joines the army and can fight for his country should be allowed to go pass that law and drink. Cause I say I don't drink anyways but I find it a little unfair.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:52 pm
The legal age to drink in Australia is 18, so I have to say I find it bizarre that you aren't able to do that in the US. If they are going to change the law though, I think it should be for everyone, not just soldiers.  

Doressa
Captain

Fieldartman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:55 pm
Doressa
The legal age to drink in Australia is 18, so I have to say I find it bizarre that you aren't able to do that in the US. If they are going to change the law though, I think it should be for everyone, not just soldiers.

Very true but in America I will say people under 21 get stupid drunk. But as a soldier with all our responsibilities it;s rarly that we would want to get drunk.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:30 am
Lol, my husband is in the military and I have to disagree that a lot of young guys DO want to get drunk. I know waaaay too many people in the military that have gone out, even OVER 21, and generally I know here at least, the AIT students tend to get in trouble a lot as it is. And I know for a fact, that after soldiers get back from deployment, they tend to indulge in the drinking.

Actually, I want to say (don't quote me) that someone had told me down the line that in certain areas, they do waive that 21 age limit for soldiers on bases.  

lunashock

Seeress

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:50 pm
Do soldiers go by American age limits or the age limits of the country they're stationed in? I know that in many other countries, the drinking age is younger. I've even heard of it being 16. And where I was in China, although I have no idea of the established age limit, in actuality you just had to be old enough to reach the top of the bar.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:04 pm
To my knowledge, both Seeress and Lunashock are right. If you are stationed in a place that has no drinking age then you have no drinking age. Also I could have sworn that on base you can drink reguardless of age.
But in truth i dont feel that they should have different laws simply because the are in the military  

Raien3

SydneySkye
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:25 pm
People will drink no matter what...I have never understood why they changed it to 21. The more they take away, the more people do it. And then it is therefore illegal, so then they possibly go to jail if caught. My parents were in the Air Force and my father is now a Sheriff. He knew I drank every now and then, but he also knew I would not drive I would crash wherever I was. Ok now that I have rambled on...  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:09 pm
Well, being that Dak is an Active Duty firefighter and I hear him tell stories about all the drunk soldiers he's had to either clean up or rescue from their vehicles, I know that a lot of soldiers do indeed drink in excess, including the older ones. I do remember his telling me that at the bars on post, soldiers under 21 can drink beer. So I'm pretty sure where you're stationed, you should be able to after you're out of training if you aren't already.

Sydney, the ages are higher because when individual states have had an age limit of 18 for drinking beer, there were too many people coming to school drunk and giving alcohol to younger students. In WI in the 70's, my mother could go out at lunch and drink and this was apparently an issue. That and the government has it worked out with the states that if they want their full funding for highways, the drinking limit has to be 21 or else it gets pulled. So individual states make the laws, but overall the Federal Gov. has the final say in that.

Now personally, I don't give two hoots about the drinking age because I just don't drink. I might have enough to count on two hands in an entire year and I don't understand what the big deal is or why it's just SO HARD to wait until you're 21.

On the other hand, they lower the rental car age for the military, so I could argue they should lower the drinking age for them. But as far as I know, they already do that.

Pirate Dirge

Hygge Agenda

44,725 Points
  • My Feminist Agenda 500
  • Cozy Life 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

Archangel Lionheart

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:06 am
Its CO's policy on drinking in foreign ports. Its that country's laws or the CO's, whichevers stricter. You can always augment the rules, you just can't lessen them. Also, yes military members get trashed (I was last night). There are alchohol issues in the military. The US happens to have one of the only navies where you don't have alchohol on the ship. There is an exception, but its a long explanation.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:00 am
Used to be able to drink at the on post bar over the age of 18, but the bar is now gone... I dont know when it was removed...  

dakotarayne
Vice Captain

Doressa
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:20 pm
I didn't know that the US navy ships couldn't drink on board, but that would explain a lot! They often dock in at Fremantle which is very close to where I live, and when they do they have quite the reputation for hitting the town in a BIG way! xd 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:04 am
Fieldartman
Doressa

Very true but in America I will say people under 21 get stupid drunk. But as a soldier with all our responsibilities it;s rarly that we would want to get drunk.

I think if your old enough to fight for the country and die then youre damn well old enough to drink. I also want to thank you for what your doing for the country. No matter what people say about bush and the war you have to believe that your helping the iraquis make a better life for themselves.
Im sure there are plenty of people over there that appreciate what the soldiers are doing.  

Juggalo1213

Archangel Lionheart

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:15 am
Juggalo1213
Fieldartman
Doressa

I think if your old enough to fight for the country and die then youre damn well old enough to drink. I also want to thank you for what your doing for the country. No matter what people say about bush and the war you have to believe that your helping the iraquis make a better life for themselves.
Im sure there are plenty of people over there that appreciate what the soldiers are doing.

Thats what most don't realise. The media only puts out their views and what gets ratings. There are so many things not put out, especially the good things. We're not a bunch of war mongers, we just want to do our part and protect the ones we love. We actually lose a lot of the rights we risk our lives to protect. We can be punished by double jeopardy and can't even speak against our own government. We really appreciate all of you who support us still, even with the popular belief to be against us.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:18 am
Pirate Dirge

Sydney, the ages are higher because when individual states have had an age limit of 18 for drinking beer, there were too many people coming to school drunk and giving alcohol to younger students. In WI in the 70's, my mother could go out at lunch and drink and this was apparently an issue. That and the government has it worked out with the states that if they want their full funding for highways, the drinking limit has to be 21 or else it gets pulled. So individual states make the laws, but overall the Federal Gov. has the final say in that.

Thanks! That makes sense. I just never looked it up. I knew it changed shortly before I turned 18, and being a military brat, all I thought was they changed the law and that was that. I di not question it until after I was 21. I had a few drinks on Friday nights when I was in school, and I mean a few, I was not a big drinker. That happened after my divorce from Zack's dad. I did the drown my sorrows thing. I never should have done that. I now drink occasionally. I like a good wine with dinner kind of thing. I found my limits the hard way and would not recommend it to anyone. And I am highly against drinking and driving. Right now my weakness is Starbucks.  

SydneySkye
Crew

Raien3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:03 pm
I understand your view about drinking and defending, but you have to agree, the world is a little scared at the idea of a drunk person haveing access to a tank. I happened to be in San Diego when that guy took a joy ride in the tank.  
21+

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff